SS-10 B-1 Viper
Three Viper (SS-10) class submarines were authorized in FY1904, laid down at Fore River Shipbuilding, Quincy MA in 1905 and commissioned in 1907. These were the final development of the "Holland" design. They introduced a more extensive superstructure which improved seakeeping abilities. Originally fitted with one periscope in the conn, a hull periscope was later added. One reload was carried for their two forward torpedo tubes.
In 1911, these submarines became known as the "B" class (B-1 thru 3) when the Navy abolished submarine names. They were deployed to the Phillipines 1913-15 and remained there until withdrawn from service 1919-21. In 1920, they received the designations SS-10 thru 12.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|