LST-511 Landing Ship, Tank
LST-511 was laid down on 22 July 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. James V. Gaynor; and commissioned on 3 January 1944, Lt. John Yacevich in command.
During World War II, LST-511 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 19 December 1945 and struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946. On 17 February 1948, the ship was sold to the Anglo-Canadian Pulp & Paper Mills, Quebec, Canada, for operation.
The LST-511 class improved upon the first LSTs, which were designed with an elevator to carry equipment between the tank deck and the main deck, by replacing the elevator with a ramp that was hinged at the main deck for this purpose. It permitted vehicles to be driven from the main deck to the leading edge of the tank deck, across the bow ramp to the beach or causeway.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|