LST-491 Landing Ship, Tank
LST-491 was laid down on 29 July 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 23 September 1943; and commissioned on 3 December 1943.
The first LSTs were designed with an elevator to carry equipment between the tank deck and the main deck. This was a time-consuming process which the "LST-511 class" improved upon by replacing the elevator with a ramp that was hinged at the main deck for this purpose. It permitted vehicles to be driven from the main deck to the leading edge of the tank deck, across the bow ramp to the beach or causeway.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|