The USS Carronade (Inshore Fire Support Ship IFS-1) was built for the Korean War, decommissioned and recommissioned for Vietnam. IFS-1 Carronade was most distinguishable from other Landing Ship, Medium (Rockets) because she had no forecastle, she was not perfectly flat-bottomed, she was more round on the hull and had a very distinct "sloop" design. Because of the cruiser type bow, Carronade was sometimes called a "bobtailed cruiser."
The first [and last] ship of her design, Carronade (IFS-1) was launched 26 May 1953 by Puget Sound Bridge & Dredging Co., Seattle, WA, and commissioned 25 May 1955. She was built from the keel up as a rocket firing ship. The LSMRs were old LSMs (Landing Ship Medium ) that later received the "R" designation (Rocket). The Carronade had 8 mk5 Rocket Launchers and could launch them with pinpoint accuracy 5,000 in just a few moments. She also had one, 5'38, duel-purpose gun; and two, twin, forty-milimeter, "Pom Pom" guns.
Carronade departed Bremerton for her home port, San Diego, 21 July 1955. Carronade carried out extensive training in the San Diego area until 19 March 1956 when she sailed to Pearl Harbor for a month of operations. Sailing back to San Diego in February 1960, Carronade remained there and was decommissioned and placed in reserve on 31 May 1960.
Recommissioned in 1965, the USS CARRONADE served as the flagship of Inshore Fire Support Division 93 (IFSDIV93). These rocket ships provided close-in gunfire support to ground forces in Vietnam. The Inshore Fire Support ship Carronade and Landing Ship, Medium (Rockets) St. Francis River (LSMR-525) arrived April 1966 in the Western Pacific as members of Inshore Fire Support Division Ninety-three. During one seven day period the shore bombardment force fired 6,802 rounds of 5, 6 and 8 inch projectiles and 1,660 rockets against Viet Cong targets in all four Corps areas of South Vietnam.
Carronade was redesignated LFR-1 on 01 January 1969.
The carronade was a short gun developed by the Carron Company, a Scottish ironworks, in 1778. Also known as a smasher , it was half the weight of an equivalent long gun, but could throw a heavy ball over a limited distance.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|