Designed with diesel engines to provide fuel economy and a very long operational range, eighty-four Edsall (DE-129) class destroyer escorts were built during World War II. The first, Jacob Jones (DE-130) was laid down in June 1942 and commissioned in April 1943. The last, Martin H. Ray (DE-338) was laid down in October 1943 and commissioned in February 1944.
Designed to run 11,500 nm at 11 knots, they carried 279 tons of fuel oil. They played a critical role in the Battle of the Atlantic, stemming the tide of German U-boats.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|