CVE-30 Charger Class
HMS Avenger was built in the USA at Sun Shipbuilding, Chester, Pennsylvania, and laid down as mercantile Rio Hudson, where she was launched 27 November 1940 and subsequently converted as BAVG-2. HMS Avenger and the "Avenger" Class ships were basically similar to the "Archer" Class, but differed sufficiently to be regarded as a separate class. All were converted in the USA from mercantile hulls.
HMS AVENGER was launched on 27 November 1940 as the 9,700 grt motor passenger liner RIO HUDSON. At the time that she was being fitted out at the Sun Shipbuilding Company's yard at Chester, Pennsylvania, the Royal Navy asked the United States Navy to make arrangements for the purchase and conversion to auxiliary aircraft carriers of suitable merchant ships. In March 1941, however, the Lend-Lease Act became law, and the five ships selected for conversion were bought by the US Government and loaned to Britain. RIO HUDSON was bought from the Moore-McCormack shipping line and taken to the Staten Island shipyard of the Bethlehem Steel Corporation where the conversion began on 1 August 1941, the ship being designated BAVG 2 (British Auxiliary Aircraft Carrier No 2).
Charger was launched 1 March 1941 by Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Chester, Pa.; as Rio la Playa. The ship was commissioned as HMS Charger (BAVG-4), and transferred to the US Navy 4 October 1941. Reclassified AVG-30 on 24 January 1942, Charger's area of operations throughout the war was Chesapeake Bay. Her duty was the basic task of training pilots' and ships' crews in carrier operations. The ship was reclassified ACV-30 on 20 August 1942, and CVE-30 on 15 July 1943.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|