CM-5 / MMF-5 Terror
LSV-1 / MCS-1 Catskill
The large minelayers of the Terror (CM-5) class were the only ships of their type built by the US Navy during World War II. They were the Navy's only minelayers built specifically for minelaying. The Catskill and Ozark were laid down respectively as CM-6 and CM-7 [at one time designated as AP-106 and AP-107] of the Terror class of minelayers. But with advent of radar, the surface minelayer was vulnerable to air, surface and submarine attack [three of the six units of the British Abdiel class were lost to enemy attack during World War II]. Thus increasing reliance was placed on aircraft and submarines to plant mines. Thus the Terror was the only unit of the class completed as a minelayer.
Terror (CM-5) was laid down on 3 September 1940 by the Philadelphia Navy Yard and launched on 6 June 1941. In 1945, after Mare Island repairs to Kamakaze damage, Terror's final wartime configuration featured two additional quadruple 40-mm antiaircraft mounts [added to the four already aboard]. The twin 40-mm mount just forward of the bridge was retained, while two single Army-pattern 40-mm guns were removed, and the single 20-mm guns were exchanged for eight twin mountings. The antiaircraft firecontrol was augmented through the addition of two Mk 29 radar-equipped Mk 57 directors. During the Korean War, she was placed in service in reserve.
On 7 February 1955, she was redesignated a fleet minelayer (MM-5). Her designation symbol was changed to MMF-5 in October 1955. She was decommissioned on 6 August 1956. In 1971, her hulk was sold to the Union Minerals and Alloys Corporation, of New York City.
LSV-1 / MCS-1 Catskill
The second Catskill (AP-106) was reclassified to CM-6 on 01 May 1943; to Landing Ship, Vehicle LSV-1 on 21 April 1944; and to MCS-1 on 18 October 1956. She was launched 19 May 1942 by Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg.; and commissioned 30 June 1944. After WW II service Catskill arrived at San Diego, on 10 February 1946, and placed out of commission in reserve 30 August 1946. The designation was changed from LSV-1 to MCS-1, 10/18/56. Authorized for conversion to Mine Countermeasures Support Ship [MCS] in FY 1964, the contract for conversion signed with Boland Machine Mfg., Co., New Orleans, La., on 28 April 1964. Catskill arrived at the yard to begin conversion 25 June 1964, and the conversion was completed 08 September 1967. Catskill recommissioned in 1967, but was placed out of commission in December 1970.
The construction third ship to carry the name - USS Ozark, ex-CM-7, ex-AP-107, ex-LSV-2, ex-MCS-2 was authorized by Congress on 19 July 1940. Built at Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, Oregon, the ship was launched 15 June 1942. The designation was changed from CM-7 to AP-107 on 01 May 1943, and changed from AP-107 to LSV-2 on 21 April 194. She was commissioned 23 September 1944.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|