Rainbow (AS-7) was built in 1890 as the merchant ship Norse King by James Laing at Sunderland, England. She was purchased by the U.S. Navy on 29 June 1898, placed in reduced commission 18 July, and transferred to the New York Navy Yard for fitting out for use as a distilling and station ship in the Philippines.
She entered the Mare Island Navy Yard to fit out for service as a tender to the 6th Division, Submarine Force, Atlantic Fleet. This work was completed by 2 April 1918 when Rainbow departed Mare Island to tend submarines L-8 (S8-45) and L-7 (SS-46) at Yerba Buena Island, California City, and San Pedro, Calif. She entered the Boston Navy Yard 18 February 1920 for overhaul and was placed in full commission there 1 July 1920 to serve as a tender to Submarine Division 12. Classified AS-7 on 17 July 1920, Rainbow departed the Boston Navy Yard 28 October 1920.
Rainbow remained inactive in the Philadelphia Navy Yard until her name was struck from the NavY list 26 June 1928. She was sold for scrapping 13 September 1928 to the Boston Iron Works, Baltimore, Md.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|