Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


AS-1 Fulton

The merchant Niagara under construction by New London Ship & Engine Company, Groton CT, was acquired by the U.S. Navy while under construction in 1914 and commissioned as the U.S. Navy's first submarine tender in December 1914. She would serve as a tender from 1914-25, then went to the reserve. In 1930, she re-entered service, re-classified as a gunboat (PG-49). Her service as a gunboat was cut short on 14 March 1934 when fire broke out in the engine room and the ship had to be abandoned. She did not sink, but was towed to Cavite and decommissioned.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list