APA-248 Paul Revere
Paul Revere (APA-248) was originally laid down as MA hull 27 on 15 May 1952 by the New York SB Corp., Camden, N.J.; launched 11 April 1953 as SS Diamond Mariner; sponsored by Mrs. Franklin Ewers; delivered to MARAD 22 December 1953; operated by the Prudential Steamship Corp. for MARAD; placed in the Maritime Reserve Fleet 24 July 1954; acquired by the Navy 14 September 1956; classified APA-248 and named Paul Revere 4 June 1957; converted by Todd SB Corp., San Pedro, Calif.; and commissioned at Long Beach, Calif. 3 September 1958.
During 1960-1961, she was assigned "Ready APA" duty, in which she maintained on board, at all times, a fully equipped and reinforced battalion of landing troops to be put ashore on short notice at any trouble spot in the Pacific. On 21 March 1961 trouble flared in Laos, and Paul Revere commenced patrolling the waters off the coast of Southeast Asia. She remained in the area in a ready status for a total of fiftyfour days until tensions eased, then resumed her normal South China Sea patrol.
During November and December 1968, Amphibious Squadron THREE was enlarged by the administrative addition of three PHIBRON FIVE ships, USS PAUL REVERE (APA 248), USS SKAGIT (AKA 105), and USS PICKAWAY (APA 222), who remained in EASTPAC in upkeep and/or reduced status as PHIBRON FIVE deployed to WESTPAC. From January through April 1969 COMPHIBRON THREE Staff was primarily engaged in conducting inspections on squadron ships. On 30 January 1969 USS COOK (LPR 130), USS TULARE (LKA 112) and USS PAUL REVERE (LPA 222) deployed to the Western Pacific with PHIBRON ELEVEN. USS PAUL REVERE (LPA 22) was detached from the squadron at the same time and reassigned to PHIBRON FIVE.
Francis Marion (APA-249) was launched as Prarie Mariner on 13 February 1954 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J.; sponsored by Mrs. C. A. Wolverton and delivered on 25 May to the Maritime Administration who operated her until she was placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet on 6 January 1955. She was transferred to the Navy on 16 March 1959, named, classified APA-249, and converted by Bethlehem Steel Co., Baltimore, Md. Francis Marion was commissioned on 6 July 1961.
|class||APA-249 Paul Revere|
|displacement||16,838 (full load)|
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|