UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Military


AD-7 Leonidas

The second LEONIDAS (AD-7) was built as ELIZABETH HOLLAND by S. P. Austin & Son, Ltd., Sunderland, England, in 1897-98; acquired by the Navy from Samuel P. Holland, London, 16 April 1898; and commissioned at New York 21 May 1898, converted into a collier for duty with the newly established Navy Fleet Train. Decommissioning at Portsmouth Navy Yard, N.H., from 15 February to 11 June 1909, the ship resumed her service as an Atlantic Fleet Auxiliary until placed out of service 3 May 1912 at Portsmouth to fit out for duty as a survey ship. LEONIDAS remained in the West Indies until sailing for home 4 September, arriving Portsmouth 30 October. There the Survey ship was converted, once again, this time into a tender capable of supplying two squadrons of submarine chasers. Following short voyages to New London and Newport in support of her submarine chasers, the ship sailed for Key West 11 October and operated off the southern U.S. coast as tender for the destroyers of Reserve Destroyer Squadron 1.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 22-07-2011 17:33:52 ZULU