Government Accountability Office Reports on Military Topics
General Accounting Office
Bases and Infrastructure
Selected Weapon Programs
Procurement and Financial Efficiency
Research & Development
|The Government Accountability Office is the investigative arm of Congress. A database of GAO reports is available at GAO, and another searchable WAIS Database of GAO Reports and Testimony is available @ GPO Access.|
Research and Development
- Defense Science and Technology: Actions Needed to Enhance Use of Laboratory Initiated Research Authority, GAO-19-64, December 20, 2018
- Weapon Systems Cybersecurity: DOD Just Beginning to Grapple with Scale of Vulnerabilities, GAO-19-128, October 9, 2018
- Weapon Systems: Prototyping Has Benefited Acquisition Programs, but More Can Be Done to Support Innovation Initiatives, GAO-17-309, June 27, 2017
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency: Key Factors Drive Transition of Technologies, but Better Training and Data Dissemination Can Increase Success, GAO-16-5, November 18, 2015
- DOD Operational Testing: Oversight Has Resulted in Few Significant Disputes and Limited Program Cost and Schedule Increases, GAO-15-503, June 2, 2015
- DOD Rapid Innovation Program: Some Technologies Have Transitioned to Military Users, but Steps Can Be Taken to Improve Program Metrics and Outcomes, GAO-15-421, May 7, 2015
- Critical Technologies: Agency Initiatives Address Some Weaknesses, but Additional Interagency Collaboration Is Needed, GAO-15-288, February 10, 2015
- Protecting Defense Technologies: DOD Assessment Needed to Determine Requirement for Critical Technologies List, GAO-13-157, January 23, 2013
- Counter-Improvised Explosive Devices: Multiple DOD Organizations are Developing Numerous Initiatives, GAO-12-861R, August 1, 2012
- Warfighter Support: Independent Expert Assessment of Army Body Armor Test Results and Procedures Needed Before Fielding, GAO-10-119, Oct 16, 2009
- Defense Acquisitions: Fundamental Changes Are Needed to Improve Weapon Program Outcomes, GAO-08-1159T, Sep 25, 2008
- Defense Acquisitions: DOD's Requirements Determination Process Has Not Been Effective in Prioritizing Joint Capabilities, GAO-08-1060, Sep 25, 2008
- Defense Acquisitions: A Knowledge-Based Funding Approach Could Improve Major Weapon System Program Outcomes, GAO-08-619, Jul 2, 2008
- Defense Acquisitions: Better Weapon Program Outcomes Require Discipline, Accountability, and Fundamental Changes in the Acquisition Environment, GAO-08-782T, Jun 3, 2008
- Military Transformation: DOD Needs to Strengthen Implementation of Its Global Strike Concept and Provide a Comprehensive Investment Approach for Acquiring Needed Capabilities GAO-08-325 April 30, 2008
- Defense Acquisitions: 2009 Review of Future Combat System Is Critical to Program's Direction GAO-08-638T April 10, 2008
- Defense Acquisitions: Status of the Expeditionary Fire Support System GAO-08-331R December 21, 2007
- Defense Acquisitions: DOD's Research and Development Budget Requests to Congress Do Not Provide Consistent, Complete, and Clear Information GAO-07-1058 September 5, 2007
- Defense Acquisitions: Analysis of Processes Used to Evaluate Active Protection Systems GAO-07-759 June 8, 2007
- Defense Technology Development: Management Process Can Be Strengthened for New Technology Transition Programs. GAO-05-480, June 17, 2005.
- Defense Microelectronics: DOD-Funded Facilities Involved in Research Prototyping or Production. GAO-05-278, March 11, 2005.
- DEFENSE ACQUISITIONS Better Information Could Improve Visibility over Adjustments to DOD's Research and Development Funds (GAO-04-944), September 2004 [PDF 1,707 Kb]
- DEFENSE ACQUISITIONS: Factors Affecting Outcomes of Advanced Concept Technology Demonstrations, December 2002 (GAO-03-52) [PDF 724 Kb]
- Best Practices: Better Management of Technology Development Can Improve Weapon System Outcomes (Chapter Report, 07/30/1999, GAO/NSIAD-99-162). [PDF Version 11.7Mb]
- Defense Acquisition: Advanced Concept Technology Demonstration Program Can Be Improved (Letter Report, 10/15/98, GAO/NSIAD-99-4). [PDF Version]
- Federal Research: Observations on the Small Business Innovation Research Program. T-RCED-98-170. 11 pp. April 22, 1998.
- Best Practices: Elements Critical to Reducing Successfully Unneeded RDT&E Infrastructure GAO/NSIAD/RCED-98-23, Jan. 8, 1998.
- Test and Evaluation: Impact of DOD's Office of the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation GAO/NSIAD-98-22, October 24, 1997. [PDF Version]
- DOD RDT&E Infrastucture [PDF Format] GAO/NSIAD-96-221BR September 1996
- Federally Funded R&D Centers: Issues Relating to the Management of DOD-Sponsored Centers (Letter Report, 08/06/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-112). [PDF Version]
- Defense Research and Development: Federal Centers' 1993 Compensation in Relation to Federal Levels (Letter Report, 07/10/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-140)
- Federally Funded R&D Centers: Information on the Size and Scope of DOD-Sponsored Centers (Letter Report, 04/24/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-54). [PDF Version]
- DOD Research: Acquiring Research by Nontraditional Means (Letter Report, 03/29/96, GAO/NSIAD-96-11).
- Federally Funded R&D Centers: Observations on DOD Actions To Improve Management (Testimony, 03/05/96, GAO/T-NSIAD-96-117).
- Measuring Performance: The Advanced Technology Program and Private-Sector Funding, (Letter Report, 01/11/96, GAO/RCED-96-47). [PDF Version]
- Defense Research and Development: Fiscal Year 1993 Trustee and Adviser Costs at Federally Funded Centers (Letter Report, 12/26/95, GAO/NSIAD-96-27). [PDF Version]
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|