08 December 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Telephonic Press Briefing with U.S. Army General James H. Dickinson, Commander, U.S. Space Command US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022
- Army contract actions to increase 155 mm artillery shell body capacity US Army 08 Dec 2022 -- The U.S. Army is successfully executing 155 mm artillery acceleration efforts and recently awarded two contract actions that will significantly increase production capacity for additional 155 mm artillery shell bodies.
- Readout of the Department of Defense Climate Change Roundtable With Caribbean Ambassadors DoD 08 Dec 2022
- U.S. Military Readiness Goes Beyond Just China, Russia DoD News 08 Dec 2022 -- Inside the Pentagon, China as the pacing threat and Russia as an acute threat dominate planning and discussions. The Defense Department, for instance, just released the 2022 China Military Power Report last week, and both China and Russia were central in October's National Defense Strategy. But the Pentagon is ready for things beyond just China and Russia, said deputy assistant secretary of defense for force readiness.
- House passes massive $858 bill for US Defense Dept. Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- The US House has passed an $858 billion bill to fund the Defense Department next year, $45 billion more than what was proposed by President Joe Biden.
- US House Passes New 2023 Defense Spending Bill Valued at Nearly $850 Billion Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- The US House of Representatives on Thursday passed a new version of the 2023 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that provides $847.3 billion in discretionary defense and energy-related funding, including $10 billion in security aid for Taiwan and $800 million for Ukraine.
- White House Needs to Assess Infrastructure Developments in US Arctic Regions, Agency Says Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- The White House and the Coast Guard both have strategies to address the US infrastructure gaps in the Arctic but they do not include ways to measure the progress being made, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) said in a report.
- Carl Vinson Successfully Completes PIA Ahead of Schedule, Saves 4 Million Dollars US Navy 08 Dec 2022 -- After being moored pierside at Naval Air Station North Island for six months, Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) successfully completed a Planned Incremental Availability (PIA) ahead of schedule while underway conducting sea trials Dec. 4.
- USS Paul Ignatius (DDG 117) arrives in Kiel, Germany US Navy 08 Dec 2022 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Paul Ignatius (DDG 117) arrived in Kiel, Germany for a scheduled port visit, Dec. 8, 2022.
- SECNAV Delivers Remarks at Columbia University US Navy 08 Dec 2022 -- our most articulate and influential advocates for the strongest Navy the world has ever known.
- Seven Nations Meet to Address Space Security DoD 08 Dec 2022 -- The Department of Defense participated in the annual Combined Space Operations (CSpO) Initiative Principals Board, hosted by the New Zealand Defense Force and New Zealand Ministry of Defense, December 6-8.
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl's Meeting With Incoming Chief of the Israeli General Staff Maj. Gen. Herzi Halevi DoD 08 Dec 2022
- USNS Comfort Completes Its Fourth Mission Stop of Continuing Promise 2022 in the Dominican Republic US Navy 08 Dec 2022 -- U.S. Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) completed its fourth mission stop of Continuing Promise 2022 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Dec. 6, 2022.
- Deputy Secretary of Defense Dr. Kathleen H. Hicks Participates in a Fireside Chat at the 2022 Aspen Security Forum D.C. Edition DoD 08 Dec 2022
- Leaders engage in Niger to better security, cooperation efforts AFRICOM 08 Dec 2022 -- Brig. Gen. Brian Cashman, SETAF-AF deputy commander, met with senior U.S. civilian and Nigerien Army leaders in Niamey to discuss security conditions and cooperation efforts.
- Background Press Call on the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit The White House 08 Dec 2022
- Senior Defense Official Holds Background Briefing Ahead of U.S.-Africa Leaders' Summit DoD 08 Dec 2022
- US-Africa Leaders Summit Brings 50 African Voices to Washington VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- The Biden administration hopes to use a gathering of 50 African delegations in Washington "to uplift and empower African institutions, citizens and nations" through discussions about challenges such as health, democracy, governance, investment, development, climate change and more, senior administration officials said Thursday.
- U.S. and Morocco Co-Host Proliferation Security Initiative Workshop US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the United States of America and the Kingdom of Morocco:
- Blinken: Sweden, Finland will soon become NATO allies Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said Sweden and Finland will soon become NATO allies, despite Turkey's concerns about the two countries joining the Western military alliance.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General to Moldova: Our partnership helps make you safer, and makes us all more secure NATO 08 Dec 2022 -- Deputy Secretary General Mircea Geoană underlined NATO's determination to continue supporting the Republic of Moldova in an address to the participants of the international conference focused on "Developing NATO Partnerships in a Changing Security Environment" taking place in Chișinău on Thursday (8 December 2022).
- NATO Deputy Secretary General emphasises importance of good governance NATO 08 Dec 2022 -- Deputy Secretary General Mircea Geoană stressed the importance of strengthening societal and institutional resilience and safeguarding democratic values in opening remarks delivered at the NATO 2022 Building Integrity Conference on Thursday (08 December 2022).
- European defence spending surpasses €200 billion for first time European Defence Agency 08 Dec 2022 -- The European Defence Agency (EDA) has today published its annual Defence Data report for 2020-2021, detailing defence spending by the 26 EDA Member States. In 2021, total European defence spending stood at a new high of €214 billion, marking a further 6% increase on 2020 and the seventh year of consecutive growth.
- European Defence Agency: Opening remarks by High Representative Josep Borrell during the Annual Conference European Commission 08 Dec 2022
- Ukraine war shows EU lacks 'critical defense capabilities': Borrell Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- The European Union's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell says Russia's war in Ukraine has shown the 27-nation EU lacks "critical" defensive capabilities.
- Russian troops take part in tactical drills in Belarus Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- Russian troops are conducting tactical exercises in neighboring Belarus, firing artillery weapons in a winter landscape, Russia has announced.
- Russia-US talks on nuclear treaty postponed, not cancelled: Russian official Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- Planned talks between Russia and the US over a nuclear treaty have been postponed but not cancelled, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov says, as tensions continue between Washington and Moscow.
- EU new sanctions target Russia's armed forces, drone supply People's Daily 08 Dec 2022 -- The European Commission on Wednesday proposed the ninth package of sanctions against Russia that will include almost 200 individuals and entities and cut Russia's access to drones.
- US Considering Ukraine's Request to Provide Cluster Munitions, Reports Suggest Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- The United States is considering Ukraine's request for cluster weapons that are banned by more than 100 countries, American media reported citing US and Ukrainian officials.
- US to Continue Sending Aid to Ukraine, Blinken Says After Classified Briefing With Senate Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- There is enough bipartisan support to continue providing assistance to Ukraine, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said after a classified briefing with the US Senate.
- Former NATO Chief Joins Calls to Better Arm Ukraine VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- Former NATO Secretary-General Anders Rasmussen has joined a growing chorus of voices calling for the United States and its European allies to furnish Ukraine with more advanced weapons systems to help it combat a Russian missile onslaught on its energy and other infrastructure systems as winter sets in.
- China, Vietnam coast guards hold sixth high-level work meeting PLA Daily 08 Dec 2022 -- The China Coast Guard (CCG) and the Vietnam Coast Guard (VCG) held the sixth high-level work meeting in Hanoi, Vietnam, on December 7. CCG Director Major General Yu Zhong and VCG Commander Major General Le Quang Dao co-chaired the meeting. Senior Colonel Pan Tao, defense attaché of the Chinese Embassy in Vietnam, as well as the delegates and representatives of the law enforcement, international cooperation and grass-roots units from both sides attended the event.
- US proposes bill to boost Chinese Taipei military with up to $10 billion in funding Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- The military of the United States has proposed a bill that envisages up to $10 billion in funding to strengthen the military and security capabilities of Chinese Taipei, in open defiance of China, which has sovereignty over the self-ruled Island.
- US increases arms sales to Taiwan island, 'only consolidates morale for Chinese reunification' Global Times 08 Dec 2022 -- The US, in consecutive provocative moves over the Taiwan question, has in the past few days approved another arms sale to the island of Taiwan and advanced its National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) through Congress, which includes direct military loans and fast-track weapon sales.
- China strongly opposes US arms sale to Taiwan: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 08 Dec 2022 -- China is strongly dissatisfied with and firmly opposed to the US's recent announcement that it will sell military aircraft parts and related equipment worth$428 million to Taiwan, and has lodged solemn representations with the US side, said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense, in a written statement on Thursday.
- China's Defense Ministry Accuses US of Escalating Situation Around Taiwan Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- The United States has escalated the situation around Taiwan by repeatedly violating the one-China principle, selling arms to the island and sending its officials there, Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman Tan Kefei said on Thursday.
- U.S. Department of Defense and Japan Ministry of Defense Joint Statement on Cooperation for Japan's Next Fighter Aircraft DoD 08 Dec 2022 -- The United States supports Japan's security and defense cooperation with likeminded allies and partners, including with the United Kingdom and Italy - two close partners of both of our countries - on the development of its next fighter aircraft.
- Combined space operations initiative principals board meeting Australia DOD 08 Dec 2022 -- This week Defence participated in the annual Combined Space Operations (CSpO) Initiative Principals Board, hosted by the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) and New Zealand Ministry of Defence.
- HMAS Wollongong decommissions in Cairns Australia DOD 08 Dec 2022 -- The Royal Australian Navy has decommissioned Armidale Class Patrol Boat HMAS Wollongong at a ceremony in HMAS Cairns after 15 years of service.
- Navy ships return home for Christmas Australia DOD 08 Dec 2022 -- The Royal Australian Navy (RAN) has welcomed back two ships and more than 300 personnel to their home port of Fleet Base West, Rockingham, following a significant period of international engagements.
- Minister Anand announces Remote Mine-hunting and Disposal System contract award to increase safety for Royal Canadian Navy ships and crews Canada 08 Dec 2022 -- Today, Minister of National Defence Anita Anand, on behalf of Minister of Public Services and Procurement Canada, Helena Jaczek, announced the award of two contracts for new equipment designed to improve the safety and security of Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) ships and crews.
- Vietnam hosts its first international defense expo Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2022 -- A major defense trade fair opened Thursday in Hanoi, marking Vietnam's first steps in the international arms sales market as the communist country also hopes to diversify its weapons procurement.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with South African Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Naledi Pandor US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with Alice Rufo, Director General for Foreign Relations and Strategy at France's Ministry of the Armed Forces US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with French Foreign Ministry Secretary General Descôtes US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with French Minister of European and Foreign Affairs Catherine Colonna US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, December 8, 2022 The White House 08 Dec 2022
- 8 December 2022 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 08 Dec 2022
- Taliban Lashes 17 Men, 10 Women In Public For Alleged Adultery, Other Offenses RFE/RL Gandhara 08 Dec 2022 -- Twenty-seven people have been lashed in public in the northern Afghan province of Parwan as punishment for alleged adultery, theft, drug offenses, and other crimes, Obaidullah Aminzadeh, the Taliban provincial governor, told RFE/RL.
- Afghans Struggle For Survival As Country Braces For Second Winter Under Taliban Rule RFE/RL Gandhara 08 Dec 2022 -- Mahmood has been selling off what is left of his family's meager possessions in order to prepare for the harsh winter ahead.
- Taliban Denounce 'Reprehensible' Outcry Over Afghan Public Executions, Flogging VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- The hardline Taliban government in Afghanistan pushed back Thursday against an international outcry over its first public execution and application of Sharia, or Islamic law, to criminal justice at large, calling it "reprehensible" and "interference" in the country's internal affairs.
- Military option on table against all-out blockade on Yemen: Deputy Prime Minister Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- The deputy prime minister in Yemen's National Salvation Government says the military option is still on the table if the Saudi-led coalition adamantly refuses to lift restrictions on Yemeni airspace to allow for the reopening of the country's main airport and resumption of humanitarian flights.
- Lavrov: Russia stands firm against any attempt to undermine Syria's territorial integrity Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says his country will not hesitate to deliver a stern response to any measure aimed at infringement upon the territorial integrity of Syria, as Moscow has been providing Syrian government forces with crucial military assistance in the ongoing battles against terrorism across the conflict-plagued Arab state.
- Syria's Idlib De-escalation Zone Attacked Twice in Past Day, Reconciliation Center Says Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- The Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group (banned in Russia) shelled Syria's Idlib de-escalation zone twice over the past 24 hours, Major General Oleg Yegorov, deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said at a briefing.
- Report: CIA Warned Turkey That Strikes Against Syria Threaten US Troops Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- Turkey has been bombing parts of Syria and Iraq since November 20, a week after a terrorist attack in Istanbul that the Turkish government says was carried out by Kurdish militants.
- MINUSMA Change of Strategy Needed to Ensure Security in Mali, Goita Says Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- The UN Security Council decided to renew the mandate of the UN peacekeeping mission in Mali, MINUSMA, for another year this past June, amid increasing security issues across the African region of Sahel. It also called for greater cooperation with the country's authorities to ensure security, and promote and protect human rights.
- Promoting peace, stability, and security across Central Africa UK FCDO 08 Dec 2022 -- Statement by Alice Jacobs, UK Deputy Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Central Africa
- Norwegian Court Acquits Son Of Putin's Confidant On Illegal Drone Charges RFE/RL 08 Dec 2022 -- A Norwegian court has acquitted Andrei Yakunin, the son of one of President Vladimir Putin's longtime confidants, of charges he violated a law that bars Russian citizens from flying drones in Norway.
- Norway's Court Releases Russian National Detained for Flying Drone Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- A court in the Norwegian municipality of Tromso has released Andrey Yakunin, a Russian national detained in Norway for flying his drone.
- G7 Cyber Expert Group Releases New Reports on Ransomware and Third-Party Risk US Treasury 08 Dec 2022 -- The G7 Cyber Expert Group (CEG) - which U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Cybersecurity and Critical Infrastructure (OCCIP) co-chairs alongside the Bank of England - recently released two reports addressing ransomware and third-party risk within the financial sector. These free and publicly available resources are intended to help financial sector entities better understand cybersecurity topics as agreed upon by a multilateral consensus.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, Moscow, December 8, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 08 Dec 2022
- Russia Ready for Dialogue With US Only if Its Safety Taken Into Account - Embassy Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- Russia is prepared for dialogue with the United States on the basis of equality and if its safety is taken into account, the Russian embassy in Washington said.
- Moscow Would Not Want to Sever Diplomatic Ties With Washington - Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said on Thursday that Moscow would not want to sever diplomatic relations with Washington, and the United States also confirms the need for dialogue.
- Council adopts decision not to accept Russian documents issued in Ukraine and Georgia EC/CEU 08 Dec 2022 -- Today, the Council adopted a decision on the non-acceptance of Russian travel documents issued in Ukraine and Georgia.
- Uzbekistan Rejects Putin-Proposed 'Trilateral Natural Gas Union' RFE/RL 08 Dec 2022 -- Uzbekistan has rejected the idea of creating a so-called "natural gas union" with Russia and Kazakhstan that was proposed by Russian President Vladimir Putin last month, a sign of the growing divide between Moscow and former Soviet republics over the war against Ukraine.
- Background Press Call on the Release of Brittney Griner The White House 08 Dec 2022
- Remarks by President Biden on the Release of Brittney Griner The White House 08 Dec 2022
- The Release of Brittney Griner from Russia US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022 -- "This morning, I joined President Biden, Vice President Harris, National Security Advisor Sullivan, and Cherelle Griner in the Oval Office, as Cherelle spoke to her wife Brittney, who is now on her way back to the United States and to her wife's loving embrace."
- US-Russia Prisoner Swap: Basketball Star Griner for Arms Dealer Bout VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- The United States and Russia carried out a high-stakes prisoner swap on Thursday, with Moscow freeing professional basketball star Brittney Griner and Washington handing over notorious Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.
- Viktor Bout, Arms Dealer in Prisoner Swap, Remembered as 'Monster' VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- Viktor Bout, the former Russian military officer convicted of illegal arms trafficking in U.S. courts in 2012, and who was serving a 25-year prison sentence, has had his sentence commuted and is being repatriated as part of a prisoner exchange that freed United States basketball star Brittney Griner from prison in Russia.
- U.S. Basketball Star Released In Prisoner Exchange Involving Convicted Russian Arms Dealer RFE/RL 08 Dec 2022 -- The United States and Russia have carried out a prisoner exchange, swapping American basketball star Brittney Griner for Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout after months of negotiations that took place despite strained relations between the two countries.
- Announcing the success of the joint Emirati-Saudi mediation on the release and exchange of prisoners between the United States of America and the Russian Federation SPA 08 Dec 2022 -- In a joint statement issued on 14 Jumada Al Oula 1444 H (corresponding to December 8, 2022), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in the United Arab Emirates and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia announced the successful conclusion of the mediation efforts led by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, President of the United Arab Emirates, and His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia that resulted in the release and exchange of two prisoners between the United States of America and the Russian Federation.
- Russian Citizen Viktor Bout is Returning Home After Being Swapped for US Athlete Griner Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- Russian citizen Viktor Bout was returned to his homeland as a result of an exchange for US citizen Brittney Griner, the Russian Foreign Ministry told reporters.
- Moscow and Ankara Keep in Touch Over Maritime Traffic Issue Off Turkish Coast, Source Says Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- Moscow and Ankara keep in touch over the maritime traffic issue off the Turkish coast, where a number of oil tankers have stuck, measures will be taken if needed, a source familiar with the situation told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Receives President of the People's Republic of China in Presence of HRH the Crown Prince.. and Co-sign Comprehensive Strategic Partnership Agreement between the Kingdom and China SPA 08 Dec 2022 -- The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud received today, at Al-Yamamah Palace in Riyadh, His Excellency President Xi Jinping of the People's Republic of China, in the presence of His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince and Prime Minister.
- Xi Jinping: China Sees Saudi Arabia as Important Power in Multipolar World Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- China considers Saudi Arabia an important power in the multipolar world and attaches great importance to developing a strategic partnership with the kingdom, Chinese President Xi Jinping said Thursday at a meeting with King Salman bin Abdulaziz in Riyadh.
- Xi's Saudi trip to open up new prospects for China-Arab ties Global Times 08 Dec 2022 -- China's intensive head-of-state diplomacy is set to continue in December, and this time, the focus of attention is Saudi Arabia and the broader Arab world.
- Xi Jinping chairs meeting of Political Bureau of CPC Central Committee Global Times 08 Dec 2022 -- The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee held a meeting on December 6 to analyze economic work in 2023, hear a briefing on the work of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI) of the CPC and the National Commission of Supervision, and make arrangements for improving Party conduct, building a clean and honest government, and combating corruption in 2023. Xi Jinping, general secretary of the CPC Central Committee, presided over the meeting.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on December 8, 2022 PRC MofA 08 Dec 2022
- U.S. official: China wants to stabilize relations Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2022 -- Beijing and Washington both have a genuine desire to stabilize relations and establish "guardrails" after months of intensifying tensions, a top Biden administration official said on Thursday.
- Uyghur groups urge leaders of Muslim states to condemn genocide in China's Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2022 -- More than 50 Uyghur groups on Thursday urged heads of states and leaders of international organizations meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping this week in Saudi Arabia to condemn China's atrocity crimes against the Uyghurs and end the genocide in its far-western Xinjiang region.
- Report Alleges Use of Uyghur Forced Labor in Global Auto Supply Chain VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- A report issued this week alleges that the supply chain serving the global automobile industry is deeply intertwined with companies that either make direct use of forced labor in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, or that purchase raw materials and other products from companies that do.
- Taiwan calls TikTok 'harmful to national security' Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2022 -- Taiwan has joined several U.S. states in banning TikTok from communication devices in the public sector on security concerns over the world's most downloaded app.
- MOFA hails opening of three U.S. state offices in Taiwan in 2022 CNA 08 Dec 2022 -- A Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) official on Thursday hailed the opening of three new offices in Taiwan this year from the U.S. states of Minnesota, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, saying that this demonstrated closer Taiwan-U.S. bonds.
- 9 PLA aircraft cross Taiwan Strait median line CNA 08 Dec 2022 -- A total of nine Chinese military aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and another two entered Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) between 6 a.m. Wednesday, and 6 a.m. Thursday, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Session of Permanent Commission of SPA Standing Committee Held KCNA 08 Dec 2022 -- A session of the permanent commission of the Standing Committee of the Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK took place.
- Special Representative for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim's Video Conference With the People's Republic of China (PRC) Special Representative on Korean Peninsula Affairs Liu US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022
- Iran Carries Out First Execution Of Amini Protester Despite Outcry From West, Rights Groups RFE/RL 08 Dec 2022 -- Iran has carried out its first execution of a protester from the unrest sparked by the death of Mahsa Amini, carrying out a death sentence handed to a man who was accused of "warfare" for allegedly injuring a security officer.
- Iran: Statement by the Spokesperson on the execution of Mohsen Shekari European External Action Service (EEAS) 08 Dec 2022 -- Today, 23-year old Mohsen Shekari was executed after being arrested and sentenced to death in connection with the ongoing protests in Iran. The European Union condemns his execution in the strongest possible terms.
- Iran Carries Out First Execution of Arrested Protester VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- Iran has announced the first execution of a protester convicted for his role in the ongoing wave of anti-government protests.
- Outrage Follows Iran's Execution of Protester VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- International outrage met Iran's announcement Thursday of the first execution of a young man convicted for his role in the ongoing wave of anti-government protests.
- Iran: UN rights experts condemn protestor's execution, raise alarm over detained artists UN News 08 Dec 2022 -- More than a dozen UN-appointed independent human rights experts on Thursday condemned the execution of a 23-year-old Iranian artist convicted for taking part in protests, and raised general alarm over any charges that are made which carry the death penalty.
- Iran's Chief Of Police Threatens Harsher Crackdown On Protesters RFE/RL 08 Dec 2022 -- The chief of Iran's Law Enforcement Command has threatened to crack down more decisively on protesters as Iran enters its fourth month of unrest touched off in mid-September by the death of a young woman in police custody over how she was wearing a head scarf.
- Iranian Shopkeepers Clash With Police Trying To Seal Shops Closed RFE/RL 08 Dec 2022 -- Following the call for three days of nationwide strikes in Iran, shopkeepers in the western Iranian city of Sanandaj have clashed with police forces who came to seal the strikers' shops on December 8.
- A 'Martyr's' Death: Iranian Security Forces Attempt To Cast Protester They Shot As Their Hero RFE/RL 08 Dec 2022 -- Five Iranian security officers pounced on a young protester after he fell to the ground, beating him severely. As a crowd approached to intervene, one officer held a gun to the man's head, threatening to shoot him if anyone came closer.
- VOA Interview: Javaid Rehman VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- The execution of 23-year-old Mohsen Shekari was horrifying and shocking, says Javaid Rehman, the United Nations Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in Iran. In an exclusive interview with VOA's Persian Service conducted Thursday via Skype, Rehman, who was in Britain, urged the Iranian government and the people of Iran to follow and respect the universal declarations and provisions on human rights.
- VOA Interview: Mahmoud Moradkhani VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- The VOA Persian service spoke with Mahmoud Moradkhani, son of Badri Hosseini Khamenei, the estranged sister of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and nephew of the supreme leader.
- Joint Statement Through the Global Partnership for Action on Gender-Based Online Harassment and Abuse on Standing with the Women and Girls of Iran US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America, Australia, Canada, Chile, Iceland, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
- US sanctions 5 persons, 26 companies for allegedly 'facilitating Iran oil sales' Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on five people, including a Turkish businessman, and 26 companies for allegedly facilitating oil sales on behalf of Iran.
- Designating a Network of Iranian Oil Sanctions Evaders US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2022 -- Today, the United States is designating an international oil smuggling and money laundering network led by businessman Sitki Ayan for providing support to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) and Lebanese Hizballah, under counterterrorism sanctions authorities.
- Treasury Targets Sanctions Evasion Network Generating Hundreds of Millions of Dollars for Qods Force Oil Sales US Treasury 08 Dec 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is designating a sanctions evasion network led by businessman Sitki Ayan that has facilitated the sale of hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of oil for Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF).
- In nighttime raid, Myanmar forces kill 4 opposition party members and 2 civilians Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2022 -- In a nighttime raid on a village in central Myanmar, junta forces killed six civilians, including four members of Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party, residents said, in what appeared to be a targeted killing of political opponents.
- Religious leader Hkalam Samson set to be prosecuted by Myanmar's junta Radio Free Asia 08 Dec 2022 -- Myanmar's junta authorities are preparing to prosecute Baptist bishop Hkalam Samson, an advisor to the Kachin Baptist Convention, according to the religious group.
- Myanmar Families Hope to Overturn Death Sentences VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- The parents of seven university students sentenced to death by a military tribunal in Myanmar are appealing their sentences, the father of one of the students told VOA.
- Source to VOA: US to Downgrade Relations with Myanmar VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- A diplomatic source has told VOA Burmese that the U.S. will downgrade its diplomatic relations with Myanmar upon the departure of the current U.S. ambassador, Thomas Vajda, whose assignment is scheduled to conclude at the end of this month.
- Pakistan Tops New Index Measuring Chinese Influence Around The World RFE/RL Gandhara 08 Dec 2022 -- Pakistan is the country in the world that is the most influenced by China, according to a new study that measures Beijing's expanding global sway.
- Russia Reportedly Agrees to Supply Pakistan With Oil, Gas & Wheat Sputnik 08 Dec 2022 -- Russia has agreed to provide Pakistan with crude oil and wheat at a discounted rate in order to meet the South Asian country's rising energy and food demands. The decision was announced just days after a Pakistani delegation visited Moscow last week to negotiate with Russian authorities; however, the details of the deal have yet to be disclosed.
- Peru: Statement by the Spokesperson on latest political developments European External Action Service (EEAS) 08 Dec 2022 -- The European Union welcomes the peaceful and democratic way in which Peru dealt with the recent domestic political developments.
- Dina Boluarte sworn in as Peru's new president, calls for "political truce" People's Daily 08 Dec 2022 -- Peru's Congress on Wednesday swore in Vice President Dina Boluarte as the country's new president, making her the first woman to assume the presidency in the history of the Andean nation.
- Disinformation: The European External Action Service and the EU Agency for Cybersecurity join forces to analyse the interplay between cybersecurity and Foreign Information Manipulation and Interference European External Action Service (EEAS) 08 Dec 2022 -- With broader hybrid threats crossing different domains, the European External Action Service (EEAS) and the European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA) publish today a joint report on the relation between cybersecurity and FIMI to better understand and adapt to the evolving threat landscape.
- Lebanese lawmakers fail for 9th time to fill vacant presidency amid deepening political, economic crisis Press TV 08 Dec 2022 -- The Lebanese parliament has failed to elect a new president for the ninth time amid deepening political stalemate exacerbated by the US sanctions and foreign meddling.
- Romania, Bulgaria Snubbed By Schengen As Croatia Gets Green Light To Join Europe's Free-Travel Zone RFE/RL 08 Dec 2022 -- Croatia has received the go-ahead to join Europe's Schengen passport-free travel zone in January in a long-awaited decision that leaves out Bulgaria and Romania.
- UN agencies warn again of record hunger next year in West and Central Africa UN News 08 Dec 2022 -- The number of hungry people in West and Central Africa could reach a record high of 48 million next year, which should serve as a final "wake-up call" for regional governments to act now, three UN agencies said on Thursday.
- FAO, UNICEF and WFP call for urgent and long-lasting action in West and Central Africa as the region faces another year of record hunger with thousands experiencing catastrophic levels of food insecurity WFP 08 Dec 2022 -- The number of hungry people in West and Central Africa is projected to reach an all-time high of 48 million people (including 9 million children) next year if urgent and long-lasting solutions to address this crisis are not delivered soon. The latest Cadre Harmonisé food security analysis shows that over 35 million people (including 6.7 million children) in the region - approximately 8 percent of the assessed population - are currently unable to meet their basic food and nutrition needs.
- Nigerians Uneasy About Central Bank's Restrictions on Cash Withdrawals VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- Nigeria's Central Bank this week announced a new policy that restricts large amounts of cash from being withdrawn from bank accounts. The announcement comes two weeks after authorities unveiled redesigned currency in an attempt to curb cash hoarding and check corruption and crimes. But some critics say the decision will have a negative effect on small businesses.
- Mozambique Court Jails 2 Former Spy Chiefs, 9 Others for Roles in $2.2 Billion Debt Scandal VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- A court in Mozambique sentenced 11 people, including two former intelligence chiefs, to up to 12 years in prison for their involvement in a corruption scandal that secretly added $2.2 billion to the African country's debt.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|