26 June 2022 Military News
- West's secret cell of commandos, spies backing up Ukraine against Russia: NY Times Press TV 26 Jun 2022 -- The United States and its allies run a secret cell of commandos and spies, coordinating the flow of weapons and intelligence to shore up the Ukrainian army against Russia, The New York Times reports.
- 'Stealthy Logistics & Training': US Special Ops Cell Reportedly Coordinates Weapons Flow to Ukraine Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- Moscow has advised western countries against funneling weapons to Ukraine, where it is carrying out a special military operation. The Kremlin warned that the shipments unnecessarily prolong the conflict and suggested that Kiev might not exercise control over where the weaponry might end up, possibly including in the hands of third-party terrorists.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New BLOS capability on the horizon for B-52s, first IRIS air demo complete US Air Force 26 Jun 2022 -- The Air Force has moved one step closer to equipping B-52s with a new beyond line-of-sight communication capability called IRIS.
- USS Jason Dunham Returns to Homeport US Navy 26 Jun 2022 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Jason Dunham (DDG 109) returned to its homeport of Naval Station Mayport, Florida, June 26.
- Recruiting crisis forces US Army to drop educational, tattoo rules Press TV 26 Jun 2022 -- The US Army has been forced to drop its minimum educational requirement and relax its tattoo rules in face of a surging recruiting crisis affecting the country's entire military services.
- NATO Could Expand Eastern European Battlegroups to Brigade or Division-Size Forces: Report Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- The Western alliance will be holding its annual summit in Madrid on June 29-30, promising to unveil a brand new "strategic concept" targeting both Russia and China in a bid to preserve the Western-dominated post-Cold War order that Russian President Vladimir Putin recently said had ended from crumbling.
- US Expects NATO Strategic Concept to Contain 'Strong' Language on China, White House Says Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- The United States expects that the updated NATO strategic concept, which will be adopted during the upcoming summit in Madrid, will contain some "strong" language on China, a White House official said on Sunday.
- Erdogan to Visit Summit of Turkey, NATO, Finland, Sweden on Tuesday - Ankara Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will attend a summit of Turkey, NATO, Sweden and Finland on Tuesday in Madrid prior to the alliance summit, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said on Sunday.
- Erdogan to Meet With Leaders of Sweden, Finland Before NATO Summit in 4-Way Talks VOA 26 Jun 2022 -- Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan will attend a round of talks with the leaders of Sweden and Finland, as well as NATO on Tuesday ahead of the summit in Madrid, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said Sunday.
- US Organized Secret Talks Between Israel, Saudis on Anti-Iranian Air Defense Coordination: Report Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz announced last week that Tel Aviv had been working on a US-backed "Middle East Air Defense Alliance" with Arab governments, with the program said to be at an advanced stage and to have "already enabled the successful interception of Iranian attempts to attack Israel and other countries."
- Russia's 'Shadow Mobilization' Accelerates With New Ethnic Units From The North Caucasus RFE/RL 26 Jun 2022 -- Faced with a deepening personnel crisis within its military, Russia is scrambling to find fighters for its war in Ukraine and recruiting heavily from its North Caucasus region to form new units along ethnic lines who are then deployed with minimal training.
- Indigenous drone reportedly completes 10-plus hour test flight around Taiwan ADIZ CNA 26 Jun 2022 -- An Indigenous unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) Teng Yun 2 reportedly completed a 10-hour-non-stop test flight circumnavigating Taiwan's Air Identification Defense Zone (ADIZ) early Sunday, an achievement described by a local defense expert as a "major milestone" in the nation's indigenous defense history.
- Iran to unveil new missiles ISNA 26 Jun 2022 -- Deputy Commander of Iranian Army Air Defense Brigadier-General Alireza Elhami said, "In the near future, 300km-range missiles will be unveiled by Iran's Army Air Defense".
- Her Majesty's Canadian Ships Kingston and Summerside depart for Operation REASSURANCE Canada 26 Jun 2022 -- Today, Her Majesty's Canadian Ships (HMCS) Kingston and Summerside departed for a four month deployment in the Baltic Sea and North Atlantic region on Operation REASSURANCE. Canada is deploying two Kingston-class Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels to contribute to NATO assurance and deterrence measures in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Commander of Joint Forces Meets with Chief of Staff of Qatari Armed Forces SPA 26 Jun 2022 -- Commander of the Joint Forces Lieutenant-General Mutlaq bin Salem Al-Azima met here today with Chief of Staff of the Qatari Armed Forces Lieutenant-General Salem bin Hamad Al-Nabit.
- Vice Minister of Defense Meets with Chief of Pakistani Army SPA 26 Jun 2022 -- Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Vice Minister of Defense, met here today with Chief of the Pakistani Army, General Qamar Javed Bajwa
- Chief of the General Staff Meets with Chief of Staff of Qatari Armed Forces SPA 26 Jun 2022 -- The Chief of the General Staff, Lieutenant-General Fayyad bin Hamed Al-Ruwaili, today received Chief of Staff of the Qatari Armed Forces Lieutenant-General Salem bin Hamad Al-Nabit and his accompanying delegation.
- Background Press Call on President Biden's First Day in Germany The White House 26 Jun 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Meeting with Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany The White House 26 Jun 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken With Jake Tapper of State of the Union with Jake Tapper on CNN US Dept. of State 26 Jun 2022
- Remarks by President Biden and Chancellor Scholz of the Federal Republic of Germany Before Bilateral Meeting | Krün, Germany The White House 26 Jun 2022
- Countries urged to 'dig deep' and support Afghanistan in aftermath of deadly earthquake UN News 26 Jun 2022 -- The top UN official in Afghanistan appealed on Sunday for greater international support for the country, following a one-day visit to communities hit hard by the devastating earthquake on Wednesday.
- Humanitarian Coordinator Concludes Mission to Earthquake-Affected Areas in Afghanistan and Announces Emergency Response Plan to Deliver Life-Saving Assistance to Stricken Communities UNOCHA 26 Jun 2022 -- The UN Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Humanitarian Coordinator for Afghanistan, Dr. Ramiz Alakbarov, has concluded a one-day mission to Mir Sahib and Khanadin in Giyan district, Paktika Province - one of the worst-affected areas following Wednesday's devastating 5.9 magnitude earthquake.
- Taliban Health Official Warns Of Disease Risk After Deadly Afghan Quake RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Jun 2022 -- Health officials in Afghanistan's Taliban-led government warned on June 26 that thousands of people affected by a deadly earthquake this week in eastern Afghanistan desperately need food and drinking water and are at acute risk of disease.
- Funds frozen in US: Quake-hit Afghanistan faces disease outbreak Press TV 26 Jun 2022 -- Afghan health officials say thousands affected by a deadly earthquake in eastern Afghanistan are in need of clean water and food and are at risk of disease.
- China Implores US to Stop Sitting on Afghanistan's Assets Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- In February, the Biden administration split $7 billion in Afghan Central Bank funds into a $3.5 billion 'humanitarian trust', and a separate $3.5 billion slush fund for 'the victims of the 9/11 terror attacks'. The Taliban*, Russia, China, other countries and the United Nations have slammed Washington over the decision.
- WHO Boosts Surveillance Amid Disease Outbreak Risk in Quake-Hit Parts of Afghanistan VOA 26 Jun 2022 -- The World Health Organization said Sunday it was stepping up surveillance of infectious diseases in earthquake-hit areas of Afghanistan following warnings by local authorities that thousands of survivors are at risk of disease.
- China to provide 50 million yuan of emergency humanitarian assistance to Afghanistan People's Daily 26 Jun 2022 -- After the earthquake disaster in Afghanistan, the Chinese government has decided to provide 50 million yuan (about 7.46 million U.S. dollars) of emergency humanitarian assistance to Afghanistan, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Saturday.
- Attacks on Iraqi Kurdistan Region US Dept. of State 26 Jun 2022 -- The United States stands with our partners in condemnation of the repeated rocket and mortar attacks directed at the Iraqi Kurdistan Region, including three attacks in Sulaimaniya in the last four days on oil and gas infrastructure.
- Greece to Triple Length of Border Fence With Turkey VOA 26 Jun 2022 -- Greece is set to further seal its land frontiers with rival neighbor Turkey, tripling the length of a soaring fence built to block illegal migrants from sneaking in. The plan comes as Greece faces a sudden surge in refugees, both along its land and sea frontiers, as relations with its age-old foe deteriorate.
- WHO Acknowledges 'Emergency Nature' of Monkeypox Outbreak Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- The current monkeypox outbreak needs urgent response efforts but does not constitute an emergency of international scale, World Health Organization's (WHO) International Health Regulations (IHR) Emergency Committee has concluded.
- Multi-country monkeypox outbreak not public health emergency: WHO People's Daily 26 Jun 2022 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Saturday said the latest monkeypox spread in over 50 countries does not constitute a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, the highest level of alert the WHO can issue.
- Xi underscores importance of better respecting public opinion, following aspirations of the people Global Times 26 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has underscored the importance of better listening to the people's voices by making good use of the internet and other channels, after millions of public suggestions were made on the work related to the upcoming 20th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- Xi stresses listening to people's voices through internet, other channels Global Times 26 Jun 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has underscored the importance of better listening to the people's voices by making use of the internet and other channels.
- G7 Announces Infrastructure Program To Counter China's Belt And Road Initiative RFE/RL 26 Jun 2022 -- The Group of Seven (G7) has formally launched a global infrastructure and investment partnership aimed at countering a Chinese program that has been embraced by many developing countries.
- Interview: 'They've broken their word, as I'm afraid they do regularly' Radio Free Asia 26 Jun 2022 -- The last UK governor of Hong Kong, Chris Patten, blames the Chinese Communist Party for the city's malaise.
- Interview: How Much Is China Helping Russia Finance Its War In Ukraine? RFE/RL 26 Jun 2022 -- China's growing appetite for discounted Russian oil has made it the leading financier of the Kremlin's war in Ukraine by giving Moscow a reliable revenue source that blunts the impact of tough Western sanctions against its economy.
- Taiwan lawmakers set off to visit U.S., European nations CNA 26 Jun 2022 -- Several groups of Taiwanese lawmakers will depart the country on Sunday for the United States, Poland, Slovakia, and Hungary, to conduct "parliamentary diplomacy" during the Legislative Yuan recess.
- Guatemala president pledges to stay with Taiwan CNA 26 Jun 2022 -- The president of Guatemala, Taiwan's ally in Central America, has pledged to stick to his country's diplomatic recognition with Taiwan, as Beijing continued to poach away Taipei's allies over the past years due to increasing tension between the two sides.
- US sends destroyer to South China Sea after provocative spy plane flyover in Taiwan Straits Global Times 26 Jun 2022 -- The US Navy reportedly sent a warship to the South China Sea on Saturday, only one day after a US spy plane provocatively flew over the Taiwan Straits under the close monitoring of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA). Chinese experts said on Sunday that the US vessel might also stir up troubles in the South China Sea or the Taiwan Straits, yet the PLA would be ready to deal with any aggressions it could make.
- Campaign against Disaster Launched KCNA 26 Jun 2022 -- Agricultural officials and workers in the DPRK have turned out in the struggle to minimize possible damage from disastrous abnormal weather while speeding up the wheat and barley harvest.
- North Korea vows 'revenge on US imperialists' on anniversary of 1950 war Press TV 26 Jun 2022 -- North Korea has condemned "aggression moves" by Washington and Seoul, pledging to take revenge as it marked the 72nd anniversary of the outbreak of the Korean War.
- North Korea Slams 'Insolent Behavior' of United States on Korean War Anniversary Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- The North Korean media outlet reportedly insisted that the |cruelest-ever destruction warfare in the world history of wars" that was inflicted upon the country by the "US imperialists" can never be forgotten.
- Pyongyang Mass Rally Held in DPRK KCNA 26 Jun 2022 -- A mass rally took place at the plaza of the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum on Saturday on the lapse of 72 years since the U.S. imperialists ignited a war of aggression against the DPRK.
- Iran Reports Test Of Satellite Launcher As Diplomats Announce Restart Of Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 26 Jun 2022 -- Iran says it has tested its Zuljanah satellite launcher for a second time ahead of the expected start of talks to revive the Iran nuclear deal.
- Iran launches 2nd home-made 'Zoljanah' satellite carrier IRNA 26 Jun 2022 -- Spokesman of the Space Department of the Iranian Defense Ministry Ahmad Hosseini said on Sunday that Iran launched a second homemade "Zoljanah" satellite carrier.
- Iran tests Zuljanah indigenous satellite carrier rocket for second time Press TV 26 Jun 2022 -- Iran has tested its domestically-developed hybrid-propellant satellite carrier rocket called Zuljanah for "predetermined research purposes" for the second time.
- Iran Carries Out 2nd Successful Test-Launch of Homegrown Carrier Rocket - Video Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- Iran has successfully test-launched the domestically-produced civilian satellite carrier Zoljanah powered by a compound-fuel engine, state media reported on Sunday, citing the defense ministry's space department.
- JCPOA deadlock "deblocked": Borrell IRNA 26 Jun 2022 -- EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell who is in Iran to facilitate the resumption of Vienna talks said that the deadlock in the negotiations was broken.
- Iran FM says talks with EU's Borrell 'Fruitful' IRNA 26 Jun 2022 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian called his talks with EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell fruitful.
- Iran seeking strong, long-lasting, reliable deal: Shamkhani ISNA 26 Jun 2022 -- EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell, who has paid an official visit to Tehran, held a meeting with Iran's secretary of the Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani.
- Iran, EU deblock recent deadlock in Vienna talks: Josep Borrell ISNA 26 Jun 2022 -- EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell stressed that important outcome of his visit to Iran is that they deblocked recent deadlock in Vienna talks.
- Iran, EU say nuke talks to resume in days People's Daily 26 Jun 2022 -- Iran and the European Union announced here on Saturday the resumption of international negotiations in Vienna in the coming days to revive the Iranian nuclear pact.
- Greece releases Iranian-flagged oil tanker seized under US pressure Press TV 26 Jun 2022 -- The Greek government has released an Iranian-flagged oil tanker, which was seized two months ago under US pressure to tighten its sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
- India's BJP Scores Big in By-elections for Three Parliamentary, Seven State Assembly Seats Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- The by-elections were held in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab for three Parliamentary seats, and in Delhi, Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh and Tripura they were held for seven state assembly seats.
- UK supports new international drive to prevent and prepare for future pandemics Gov.UK 26 Jun 2022 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced £25 million of UK aid backing for a new fund to ensure the world is better prepared to defeat future pandemics.
- PM meeting with President Macron: 26 June 2022 Gov.UK 26 Jun 2022 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson met French President Macron at the G7 Summit in Germany today.
- PM meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau: 26 June 2022 Gov.UK 26 Jun 2022 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson met Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at the G7 Summit today.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meets with Prime Minister Boris Johnson of the United Kingdom Prime Minister of Canada 26 Jun 2022 -- Today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met with the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Boris Johnson, in advance of the G7 Summit, to discuss their expectations and shared priorities for the Summit.
- PM Naftali Bennett's remarks at the start of the weekly Cabinet meeting Israel - Prime Minister 26 Jun 2022
- Ecuador's President Lifts State of Emergency Introduced Amid Mass Protests Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- Ecuadorian President Guillermo Lasso has lifted the state of emergency introduced in six provinces earlier this month amid indigenous protests against the government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|