28 May 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy commissions USS Oregon (SSN 793) US Navy 28 May 2022 -- The Navy commissioned the fast-attack submarine USS Oregon (SSN 793) in a traditional ceremony held Saturday, May 28, at Naval Submarine Base New London.
- Greetings on Border Guards Day President of Russia 28 May 2022 -- Vladimir Putin congratulated service members, civilian personnel and veterans of the FSB Border Guard Service on their professional holiday, Border Guards Day.
- Russia Announces Hypersonic Zircon Missile Test RFE/RL 28 May 2022 -- Russia announced on May 28 that its navy had conducted a further test of one of several hypersonic missiles in development against the backdrop of Moscow's war in Ukraine and the resulting international isolation.
- Russia's Admiral Gorshkov Frigate Test-Fires Zircon Missile at Target in White Sea - Video Sputnik 28 May 2022 -- The Zircon or 3M22 is a Russian hypersonic anti-ship cruise missile and is part of the 3K22 "Zircon" complex. The way this rocket fundamentally differs from other anti-ship missiles is that it has a much higher flight speed, capable of reaching Mach 8 (ie, eight times the speed of sound).
- US to transfer long-range rocket systems to Ukraine, signaling 'unacceptable escalation' Press TV 28 May 2022 -- The US has decided to further extend military aid to Ukraine, transferring long-range rocket systems to the country while Russia continues to make advancements in its special operations in the Donbas.
- Ukrainian FM, U.S. secretary of state discuss military support for Ukraine People's Daily 28 May 2022 -- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said on Friday he had discussed military support for Ukraine with U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken.
- Denmark, U.S. Sending Kyiv Harpoon Missiles And Howitzers, Says Ukrainian Defense Minister RFE/RL 28 May 2022 -- Ukraine has started receiving Harpoon anti-ship missiles from Denmark and self-propelled ho
- Lukashenko Says Tense Military Situation Develops at Belarusian Border Sputnik 28 May 2022 -- A tense military-political situation is developing at the Belarusian border, President Alexander Lukashenko said on Saturday.
- Army Commander says upgrading Iran's drone capability unstoppable IRNA 28 May 2022 -- Commander of the Iranian Army Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi said on Saturday that upgrading Iran's combat capabilities, including drone capabilities, is not stoppable by any means.
- Army unveils two new drone achievements IRNA 28 May 2022 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Bagheri on Saturday unveiled two new drone achievements.
- Iran top military official visits secret underground drones base IRNA 28 May 2022 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri visited Army's secret underground base for drones on Saturday.
- Iran unveils 2 new drone achievements ISNA 28 May 2022 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran Army unveiled two new drone achievements during the visit of the Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Bagheri to an army-owned UAV secret base.
- Top cmdr. visits new secret underground base as Iran displays new drone, missile Press TV 28 May 2022 -- Iran's most senior military commander visits one of the Army's secret underground bases, which houses a huge fleet of cutting-edge Iranian drones.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Egyptian Foreign Minister Shoukry US Dept. of State 28 May 2022
- Statement by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre on President Biden's Meeting with Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern of New Zealand The White House 28 May 2022
- 5 ways UN Peacekeeping partnerships drive peace and development UN News 28 May 2022 -- Every day, United Nations peacekeepers work to protect millions of vulnerable people in increasingly dangerous places in the world's most fragile political contexts.
- Iran rejects Turkey's threat to launch incursion into Syria, calls for dialog Press TV 28 May 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh says Tehran opposes the use of military action against regional countries, stressing that the only way to assuage Turkey's security concerns is through dialog, rather than another incursion into neighboring Syria.
- Russia sends helicopters, fighter jets to its base in northeastern Syria Press TV 28 May 2022 -- Russia has dispatched attack helicopters and fighter jets to its base in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah upon a request from the Damascus government.
- Sahel should be seen as region of 'opportunity' despite 'multiple crises' UN News 28 May 2022 -- The Sahel region of Africa should be considered a region of opportunity. despite the "multiple crises" that people there are enduring; that's according to Annadif Khatir Mahamat Saleh, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for West Africa and the Sahel.
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron and Federal Chancellor of Germany Olaf Scholz President of Russia 28 May 2022 -- Vladimir Putin spoke by telephone with President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron and Federal Chancellor of Germany Olaf Scholz.
- Former Chess Champion Kasparov Says Russian Opposition Can Only Exist Outside The Country RFE/RL 28 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin's heavy-handed crackdown on dissent at home means that effective opposition to his rule can only exist outside the country, activist and former chess champion Garry Kasparov has told Current Time.
- Chinese FM spokesperson posts 11-point rebuttal to Blinken's duplicitous speech Global Times 28 May 2022 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Friday posted on Twitter an 11-point rebuttal to US top diplomat's speech on China, noting that the speech sounded more like a declaration of an all-out strategic competition or war against China despite US' claim of not looking for a Cold War.
- China, Samoa sign bilateral deal amid West's rival campaigns Press TV 28 May 2022 -- China has signed a deal with Samoa amid a flurry of diplomatic activities across a cluster of remote island nations where the United States and its allies including Australia, continue with rival campaigns for more influence in the Pacific Ocean.
- Concerns with UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Visit to the People's Republic of China US Dept. of State 29 May 2022 -- The United States remains concerned about the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet and her team's visit to the People's Republic of China (PRC) and PRC efforts to restrict and manipulate her visit.
- Uyghur group slams UN rights czar over 'wasted opportunity' during trip to Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 28 May 2022 -- A Uyghur rights group on Saturday expressed "serious disappointment" in the outcome of U.N. Human Rights czar Michelle Bachelet's trip to Xinjiang, which it said had amounted to "a propaganda opportunity for China to whitewash its crimes against humanity and genocide against the Uyghur people."
- UN Rights Commissioner Concludes China Trip Saying She Urged Beijing 'Rethink' On Uyghurs, Others RFE/RL 28 May 2022 -- The UN's human rights commissioner said at the end of a six-day visit to China on May 28 that she had urged Beijing to rethink policies that may impact negatively on human rights including Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities in China, but her cautious language highlighted controversy around the visit.
- UN rights chief concludes China trip with promise of improved relations UN News 28 May 2022 -- At the end of her official visit to China, the first such trip in 17 years, UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet announced new areas of engagement between her office and the Chinese Government on rights issues, and summarized the many rights issues raised during her six-day May mission.
- China Presses Economic Relief Measures at Massive Teleconference VOA 28 May 2022 -- China held a massive nationwide meeting this week to coordinate implementation of plans to stabilize and support an economy beleaguered by its zero-COVID policy.
- Wang's visit to Kiribati shows devt opportunities, injects firmness to one-China principle Global Times 28 May 2022 -- China and Kiribati underscored the remarkable achievements of bilateral cooperation in improving livelihood and economy of Kiribati since the two resumed ties in 2019, during Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi's visit to the South Pacific nation on Friday, vowing to further enhance cooperation in tackling climate change, COVID-19, and building Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) amid the US and Australia's intensified demonization of China's role in the region.
- China vows firm initiatives against plans to spread war to Korean Peninsula Press TV 28 May 2022 -- China has vowed to take "firm initiatives" against those seeking to "spread war" to the Korean Peninsula, stressing that sanctions against North Korea will not help resolve Pyongyang's nuclear issue.
- US sanctions North Korea after Russia, China veto bid at UN Press TV 28 May 2022 -- The United States has imposed new sanctions targeting North Korea following its renewed ballistic missile launches.
- Russian Foreign Ministry Calls to Drop Further Sanctions Pressure on North Korea Sputnik 28 May 2022 -- The complicated situation on the Korean Peninsula cannot be solved by tightening sanctions on North Korea, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Saturday, adding that political and diplomatic efforts can bring stability to the region.
- Iran says 2 Greek ships held over maritime violations IRNA 28 May 2022 -- Iran's Ports and Maritime Organization (PMO) said that the country has confiscated two Greek oil tankers in the Persian Gulf waters because of "maritime violations".
- Greek tankers seized off Iran were carrying 1.8 mln barrels of cargo: Report Press TV 28 May 2022 -- A report in the Iranian media shows Greek-flagged tankers seized by Iran's elite military force the IRGC on Friday were carrying around 1.8 million barrels of crude or products.
- Iran Says Crews Of Greek Tankers Seized By IRGC In Good Health RFE/RL 28 May 2022 -- Iranian maritime authorities said on May 28 that the crews of two Greek tankers they seized a day earlier are aboard the vessels and in good health, according to the semiofficial Iranian news agency Tasnim.
- Victims of Massive 2020 Beirut Blast No Closer to Justice VOA 28 May 2022 -- The struggle for justice isn't over for the victims of Beirut's 2020 port explosion. Protests by families and friends of those who lost loved ones in the blast, recorded as one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history, continue, as do those by families whose relatives have been arrested while awaiting trial.
- Hopes for Reset as Slovenia's New Leader Pledges Media Protections VOA 28 May 2022 -- As Slovenia transitions to a new prime minister, the country's media look for signs of a reset after the hostile rhetoric and pressure that many say they experienced under the outgoing administration.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|