14 May 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Record construction contract awarded for F-35 facilities at Tyndall AFB US Air Force 14 May 2022 -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers awarded a $532 million construction contract May 10 to Hensel Phelps to deliver 11 projects that directly support flightline operations for the F-35A Lightning II slated to arrive at Tyndall Air Force Base, in September 2023.
- USS Frank E. Petersen Jr. Commissions US Navy 14 May 2022 -- The Navy commissioned its newest Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Frank E. Petersen, Jr. (DDG 121), May 14 in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Russian, U.S. defense chiefs discuss Ukraine situation over phone People's Daily 14 May 2022 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin held a phone conversation on Friday to discuss the situation in Ukraine.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with NATO Secretary General Stoltenberg US Dept. of State 14 May 2022
- Informal Meeting of NATO Foreign Ministers in Berlin: launch of NATO's new Berlin format Germany Federal Foreign Office 14 May 2022 -- The Foreign Ministers of the 30 NATO member countries are meeting in Berlin today. That means 30 motorcades, 30 flags and a large conference table with 30 seats at the Federal Foreign Office. But for various reasons, this is no ordinary ministerial meeting.
- Turkey Not 'Closing Door' for Finland, Sweden in NATO But Wants Nations to Stop Backing Opposition Sputnik 14 May 2022 -- Sweden and Finland have stayed outside NATO since its founding in 1949 to oppose the Soviet Union during the Cold War. Both countries are expected to provide their applications to the bloc in the coming days and be accepted with "minimum delay."
- Pentagon: Congress must pass $40 billion Ukraine aid bill by Thursday Press TV 14 May 2022 -- The Pentagon said that Congress must pass a pending $40 billion Ukraine aid package by Thursday to avoid interrupting US weapons shipments to the Kiev government in its war with Russia.
- Russia Has No Hostile Intentions Toward Finland and Sweden, Deputy Foreign Minister Grushko Says Sputnik 14 May 2022 -- Russia harbors no hostile intentions against Finland or Sweden, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko said on Saturday.
- Putin Warns Finland Joining NATO Would Be 'Mistake' VOA 14 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin told his Finnish counterpart that it would be a "mistake" for Finland to join NATO, according to statement from the Kremlin.
- Finnish President Tells Putin That Ukraine Invasion Changes His Country's 'Security Environment RFE/RL 14 May 2022 -- Finnish President Sauli Niinisto has informed Russian leader Vladimir Putin in a phone call that his Nordic nation plans to apply for NATO membership, a move Putin warned his counterpart would be a mistake that could endanger the two nations' neighborly relations.
- Telephone conversation with President of Finland Sauli Niinistö President of Russia 14 May 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Finland Sauli Niinistö at the Finnish side's initiative.
- Finland Wishes to Preserve Peace on Border With Russia, Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 14 May 2022 -- Finnish Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto said on Saturday that it is was important for Helsinki to remain in contact with Moscow to preserve peace on the Russian-Finnish border.
- Parliamentary analysis on increased security as NATO member questioned in Sweden People's Daily 14 May 2022 -- A security analysis presented by the Swedish parliament on Friday that says a NATO membership would increase security for the Nordic country was questioned by several parties ahead of Sweden's historic decision on whether to be a new member of the trans-Atlantic military bloc.
- DEPLOYMENT OF INS GHARIAL TO SEYCHELLES - MISSION SAGAR IX India PIB 14 May 2022 -- As part of on going deployment of Indian Naval Ship Gharial in South West Indian Ocean, under Mission SAGAR IX, the Ship called at Port Victoria, Seychelles from 11 to 14 May 22.
- Iran Navy foils pirate attack, IRGC seizes vessel smuggling fuel Press TV 14 May 2022 -- Iran's Navy says its forces have foiled a pirate attack against a merchant ship sailing in the Gulf of Aden.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Vietnamese Prime Minister Chinh US Dept. of State 14 May 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Sokhonn US Dept. of State 14 May 2022
- COMAC completes first test flight of first home-made C919 aircraft to be delivered Global Times 14 May 2022 -- The Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC) on Saturday morning completed the first test flight of the first home-made C919 aircraft to be delivered.
- Statement on Strengthening Anticipatory Action in Humanitarian Assistance - G7 Foreign Ministers, May 2022 UK FCDO 14 May 2022 -- Foreign Ministers from G7 countries released a joint statement on humanitarian assistance following their meeting in Germany, May 2022.
- Taliban Announce First Annual Afghan Budget VOA 14 May 2022 -- Afghanistan's ruling Taliban unveiled their first annual budget Saturday. Officials said it will be fully funded by domestic revenues and faces a fiscal deficit of 44 billion Afghanis, or nearly $500 million.
- Israeli missile attack kills 5 in central Syria People's Daily 14 May 2022 -- Five people were killed and seven others injured after Israel attacked military sites in central Syria on Friday, state news agency SANA reported.
- Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia to hold referendum on joining Russia Press TV 14 May 2022 -- The leader of Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia has set July 17 as a date for a referendum on joining Russia.
- Israel: UN rights chief calls for end to 'culture of impunity' UN News 14 May 2022 -- Investigations must be held into the actions of the Israeli security forces, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said on Saturday, calling for accountability and an end to impunity.
- G7 threatens to reinforce Russia sanctions, continue military aide to Ukraine Press TV 14 May 2022 -- Diplomats from the Group of Seven (G7) countries threaten to reinforce economic and political pressure on Russia and continue supplying weapons to Kiev as the conflict in Ukraine grinds into its third month with no solution on the horizon.
- Lavrov: All will suffer from West's 'hybrid war' on Russia Press TV 14 May 2022 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says the West has launched a "hybrid war" against his country, the consequences of which would be felt around the world.
- Lavrov: Russia Accepts West's Challenge Against All-Out Hybrid War Sputnik 14 May 2022 -- Moscow alleges that the West's campaign against Russia includes sanctions caused by the special military operation in Ukraine, eastward NATO expansion and supplying Kiev with modern weapons.
- Portugal Blocks Sale Of $10 Million Mansion Suspected Of Belonging To Abramovich RFE/RL 14 May 2022 -- Portugal has blocked the sale of a $10.4 million mansion because of a "strong conviction" it belongs to Kremlin-linked billionaire Roman Abramovich, who has been hit by Western sanctions related to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Chinese political advisors discuss capacity building for patriots in Hong Kong, Macao People's Daily 14 May 2022 -- China's top political advisory body convened a biweekly consultation session on Friday at which attendees contributed their suggestions on further improving capacity building for those who love the country, and love Hong Kong and Macao special administrative regions (SARs).
- Biden signs bill to help Taiwan regain WHA observer status CNA 14 May 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden on Friday signed a bill into law to help Taiwan regain observer status at the World Health Assembly (WHA), demonstrating Washington's strong support for Taiwan.
- Electric Power Production Increased to Protect Damage from Drought Damage KCNA 14 May 2022 -- Officials and working people in the field of electric power industry have directed all their efforts to supplying electricity needed for protecting crops from drought damage.
- Protection of Crops from Drought Damage Underway in DPRK KCNA 14 May 2022 -- South Hamgyong Province has steadily waged the campaign for protecting crops from drought damage while thoroughly checking the inroads of COVID-19.
- North Korea Allegedly Ramping Up Powerful Nuclear Reactor Construction Amid Rising Tensions With US Sputnik 14 May 2022 -- North Korea has recently stepped up its defense program, having conducted 16 missile test launches this year alone, some of which are capable of carrying a nuclear weapon. Pyongyang's nuclear program is a matter of serious concern to its southern neighbor Seoul and the US, both of which are also building up their military presence in the region.
- Iran: Vienna 'knot can be untied only with adherence of violator party' Press TV 14 May 2022 -- Iran says negotiations on the revival of the 2015 nuclear agreement can bear fruit if the West has the will to return to the landmark deal.
- Iranian Lawmaker Reports Death Of Protester In Rallies Against Price HIkes RFE/RL 14 May 2022 -- An Iranian lawmaker has confirmed the death of a street protester in recent rallies in Khuzestan Province in the southwest of the country.
- The Succession of His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to President of the UAE US Dept. of State 14 May 2022
- Statement by President Biden on Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan election as President of the United Arab Emirates The White House 14 May 2022
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Call With the President of the UAE Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan DoD 14 May 2022
- Congratulations to President of the United Arab Emirates Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan President of Russia 14 May 2022 -- Vladimir Putin sent a message to Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, congratulating him on his election as President of the United Arab Emirates.
- Sheikh Mohamed bin Al Zayed elected UAE president Press TV 14 May 2022 -- The UAE's Federal Supreme Council on Saturday elected Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan as the President of the UAE, according to the state-run WAM news agency.
- Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Elected New President of UAE Sputnik 14 May 2022 -- Sheikh Mohamed became the head of the state after his half-brother, Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan passed away on Friday. A three-day mourning period was declared in the country, during which all public and private institutions are closed and the entertainment events are postponed.
- Police in Mogadishu Announce Lockdown Ahead of Presidential Poll VOA 14 May 2022 -- Somalia's police force says it will impose a lockdown in the capital beginning late Saturday to maintain security for the Sunday presidential election. According to the directive, city residents will be required to stay in their homes while vehicles also remain banned from the city streets.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|