01 May 2022 Military News
- Rockets target Ain al-Asad military base housing US forces in western Iraq Press TV 01 May 2022 -- A barrage of rockets has reportedly landed close to an air base in Iraq's western province of Anbar, where American military forces are stationed.
- US Base in Iraq Reportedly Targeted With Rocket Artillery Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- The Pentagon formally ended its combat mission in Iraq in late 2021, rebranding the remaining 2,500 troops in the country as "trainers and advisors". Shia militias formed in 2014 to fight Daesh (ISIS)* have demanded the total withdrawal of US forces, threatening to shell American bases until the last US troops vacate Iraqi soil.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Royal Australian Navy Conducts Weapons Handling Exercise with USS Springfield US Navy 01 May 2022 -- The Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarine USS Springfield (SSN 761) completed a weapons handling exercise involving the transfer of an inert training shape from Royal Australian Navy assets ashore to the submarine, while moored at HMAS Stirling navy base, April 28, 2022.
- Surge of suicides aboard US warship prompts transfer of 100s of sailors Press TV 01 May 2022 -- The commanding officer of a US aircraft carrier has told his crew the Navy will begin moving sailors off the warship following a string of suicides amid complaints by service members about conditions aboard the vessel, prompting its delayed departure from its base.
- With Russia's War on Ukraine, Kinzinger Introduces New AUMF Congressman Kinzinger 01 May 2022 -- Today, Congressman Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) announced his introduction of a joint resolution that would authorize the use of U.S. Armed Forces to defend the territorial integrity of Ukraine in the event that Vladimir Putin escalates his unjust war against our democratic allies.
- President of Ukraine met with the Speaker of the US House of Representatives President of Ukraine 01 May 2022
- Pelosi Statement on Congressional Delegation Engagements in Poland and Ukraine US House Speaker Pelosi 01 May 2022 -- "Our distinguished Congressional delegation came to Poland to send an unmistakable message to the world: that America stands firmly with our NATO allies in our support for Ukraine."
- Transcript of U.S. Congressional Delegation Press Conference in Rzeszów, Poland US House Speaker Pelosi 01 May 2022
- Pelosi, Congressional Delegation Statement on Visit to Kyiv, Ukraine US House Speaker Pelosi 01 May 2022 -- Rzeszow, Poland - Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Members of a Congressional delegation issued this statement following their visit to Kyiv, Ukraine. This visit is the first official Congressional delegation to have visited Ukraine following Russia's invasion. The full delegation, which includes Chairman Jim McGovern, Chairman Gregory Meeks, Chairman Adam Schiff, Congresswoman Barbara Lee, Congressman Bill Keating and Congressman Jason Crow, will continue travel in southeast Poland and Warsaw.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky Meets With US House Speaker Pelosi in Kiev Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky met on Sunday with the US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who arrived in Kiev.
- Pelosi accuses Russia of bullying US over Ukraine aid Press TV 01 May 2022 -- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has accused Russia of being a bully for warning Washington against supplying Ukraine with weapons, instigating the West to stand with Kiev until a victory for Ukraine.
- US not in 'proxy war' with Russia in Ukraine: Menendez Press TV 01 May 2022 -- Democratic senator Bob Menendez says the US will continue to assist Ukraine and "defeat Russia" in the conflict, which he denies to be a proxy war between Washington and Moscow.
- Serbia displays 'powerful, affordable' Chinese air defense missiles for the 1st time, 'not meant as a threat but rightful natl defense devt' Global Times 01 May 2022 -- Serbia displayed its latest addition to its arsenal, the Chinese-made FK-3 air defense missile system, to the general public for the first time on Saturday, after concentrated sorties of Y-20 large transport aircraft from the Chinese Air Force delivered the weapon to the European country in April.
- Denmark, Sweden Summon Russian Envoys Over Airspace Breaches RFE/RL 01 May 2022 -- Denmark and Sweden are summoning Russia's ambassadors after a Russian spy plane violated the airspace of both countries, their governments said on May 1.
- Turkey, US Negotiating New-Generation F-16 Fighter Jets Sale to Ankara, Reports Say Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- Turkey and the United States are currently engaged in the negotiations on the sale of US new generation F-16 fighter jets to Ankara, Turkish media reported.
- Iranian Navy to Receive Pair of Destroyers Soon, Commander Promises Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- Iran's maritime forces are divided into two branches - the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' naval forces. In addition to coastal defence, the Navy is tasked with missions on the high seas. Last year, the branch showed off its blue water capabilities by sailing a pair of warships on a round-the-world journey.
- Taliban Chief Hails 'Victory' in Rare Public Speech in Afghanistan VOA 01 May 2022 -- The reclusive Taliban chief, in a rare public appearance, Sunday hailed what he said was the return of security and the Islamic system to Afghanistan after his hardline group seized power last August.
- Islamic State Claims Responsibility For Afghanistan Bus Bombing RFE/RL Gandhara 01 May 2022 -- The Islamic State (IS) extremist group claimed responsibility on May 1 for a bomb attack on a passenger bus in the Afghan capital, Kabul, the previous day.
- Over 23mn Yemenis need assistance, up by almost 3mn from 2021: UN Press TV 01 May 2022 -- A United Nations official has warned of a "worsening" humanitarian situation in Yemen, saying over 23 million Yemenis are in need of assistance due to the repercussions of the Saudi-led war on the impoverished country.
- Iraqi Kurdistan comes under missile attack: Report Press TV 01 May 2022 -- At least six missiles have reportedly been fired towards the Erbil Province in the northern Iraqi Kurdistan region.
- Indian troops killed 62 suspected militants in Kashmir this year: Police Press TV 01 May 2022 -- A senior police official says Indian security forces have killed 62 militants so far this year in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- UK exposes sick Russian troll factory plaguing social media with Kremlin propaganda UK FCDO 01 May 2022 -- UK-funded expert research has exposed how the Kremlin is using a troll factory to spread lies on social media and in comment sections of popular websites.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's interview with Mediaset, Italian television network, Moscow, May 1, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 01 May 2022
- Moscow says can confiscate Russian-based assets of 'hostile' countries in tit-for-tat move Press TV 01 May 2022 -- Moscow says it can seize Russian-based assets of those countries the Kremlin deems hostile, reciprocating a proposal by the United States to sell off the assets of Russian oligarchs and pay the proceeds to Ukraine.
- Russian FM Lavrov: West Has Just Stolen Over $300 Billions From Moscow Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- In an extensive interview with an Italian TV network, the foreign minister discussed a whole range of problems in relations between Moscow and the collective West. In particular, comprehensive sanctions against Russian business and the oil and gas sector, that arose after the start of Russia's special military operation in Ukraine.
- Russia Simplifies Tax Registration for Foreign Firms to Facilitate Ruble Payments for Gas Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin signed on Sunday a law simplifying tax registration of foreign organisations opening accounts in Russian banks in accordance with the requirement to pay for Russian gas in rubles.
- Hungary Says 9 Other EU Countries Opened Accounts in Russian Banks to Pay for Gas Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- Apart from Hungary, nine other European countries have opened accounts in Russian banks under Moscow's scheme to accept gas payments in rubles, but they do not want to announce the move to the public, Gergely Gulyas, the head of the Hungarian Prime Minister's Office, said on Sunday.
- EU Can't Fill Winter Gas Reserves, Simultaneously Operate Industry Without Russian Supplies: Report Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- German Finance Minister Christian Lindner reiterated Saturday that Berlin would not pay for Russian gas in rubles. Business leaders have warned that the loss of reliable and cost-competitive energy supplies from Russia would threaten everything from manufacturing to food production.
- Russian Railroad Bridge Near Ukraine Border Partially Collapses RFE/RL 01 May 2022 -- A railroad bridge has partially collapsed in Russia's western Kursk region, which borders northeastern Ukraine, the region's governor said on May 1.
- Ukraine War A New Test For Chinese Power Across Eurasia RFE/RL 01 May 2022 -- When Zhang Ming left his post as China's ambassador to the European Union and became secretary-general of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) on January 1, Central and South Asia looked a lot different.
- China enlists foreign vloggers to whitewash Uyghur situation in Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 01 May 2022 -- China has enlisted some fresh faces in its pushback against charges it is committing genocide against the Uyghurs in Xinjiang: young foreign social media influencers who produce short videos showing happy minorities in the far-western region.
- Xi stresses healthy development, positive role of capital in China People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, Friday called for efforts to regulate and guide the healthy development of capital in China per the law and give play to the positive role of capital as a significant production factor.
- Chinese Regulators, Banks Reportedly Brainstorm Ways to Save Assets Threatened by US Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- The move comes in the wake of the freezing of more than $300 billion in Russian Central Bank assets trapped in banks abroad by the United States and its allies, and threats to seize this wealth, or "redirect" it to other countries.
- DPRK Working People Leading Happy Life KCNA 01 May 2022 -- The people of the DPRK are significantly greeting the May Day, the international holiday of the working people of the whole world.
- Measures Taken to Prevent Drought Damage to Crops KCNA 01 May 2022 -- Measures are being taken across the DPRK to prevent drought damage to crops now that the temperature above average lingers along with less rainfall.
- Pakistan to continue advancing ties with China after Karachi attack, says president People's Daily 01 May 2022 -- Pakistan will thwart any attempt to undermine its relations with China, Pakistani President Arif Alvi said here on Saturday, after a terrorist attack killed three Chinese nationals in Karachi earlier this week.
- Pakistan's Former PM Khan Faces Disputed Blasphemy Charges VOA 01 May 2022 -- Officials in Pakistan confirmed Sunday that former Prime Minister Imran Khan, along with 150 others, had been booked under the country's blasphemy law, a move that drew condemnation of the government for using religion "as a tool" to intimidate political rivals.
- Saudi Prince Reveals Why Kingdom Felt 'Let Down' by Biden, Says US to Blame for Oil Price Crunch Sputnik 02 May 2022 -- US-Saudi ties hit a new low in March after Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman declined to pick up the phone to speak to President Joe Biden to discuss soaring oil prices. The same month, US media reported that Riyadh was in talks with Beijing on pricing some of its oil in yuan - a prospect that could strike a death blow to the petrodollar.
- Sri Lankan president faces May Day calls to step down over economic crisis Press TV 01 May 2022 -- Thousands of Sri Lankan opposition parties' supporters have joined hands to express their opposition against the embattled President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, demanding his resignation over an the unabated economic crisis.
- Guterres in Senegal: 'Triple crisis' in Africa aggravated by war in Ukraine UN News 01 May 2022 -- The war in Ukraine is aggravating a "triple food, energy and financial crisis," across Africa, according to the UN Secretary-General António Guterres.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|