24 September 2021 Military News
- US Still Going After Terrorists Responsible for Kabul Airport Attack - Pentagon Sputnik 24 Sep 2021 -- The US military continues to go after those responsible for the August 26 terror attack at the airport in Kabul during the Afghan evacuation operation, Pentagon Spokesperson John Kirby said on Friday.
- Pentagon Chief to Check US Bases Involved in Afghan Evacuees Processing - Spokesperson Sputnik 24 Sep 2021 -- US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin will visit early next week the Joint Base Fort McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst to check facilities involved in screening and processing of evacuees from Afghanistan, Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby told reporters.
- La. Guard builds bridges, clears roads to recovery after Ida Army News 24 Sep 2021 -- Hurricane Ida blew ashore Aug. 29th, the 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, the 2005 storm that breached New Orleans' levees and devastated the Gulf Coast. Ida made landfall as a category four hurricane near Port Fourchon, La. Sustained winds measured 150 miles per hour at landfall, tying Hurricane Laura of 2020 and the 1856 Last Island hurricane as the strongest storm to hit Louisiana.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing DoD 24 Sep 2021
- 2021 U.S.-Republic of Cyprus Security Cooperation Dialogue DoD 24 Sep 2021 -- Principal Director for Europe and NATO Policy Andrew L. Winternitz led a U.S. Department of Defense delegation September 24 for the inaugural U.S.-Republic of Cyprus Security Cooperation Dialogue.
- DOD Will Continue to Defend U.S. if Government Shuts Down DoD News 24 Sep 2021 -- Congress has until Sept. 30 to pass an appropriations bill before government funding lapses, triggering a partial shutdown.
- AFGSC wraps up divestiture of 17 B-1B aircraft, moves toward B-21 US Air Force 24 Sep 2021 -- Air Force Global Strike Command concluded its divestiture of 17 B-1B Lancers Sept. 23, as the last bomber departed Edwards Air Force Base, California, to fly to the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona.
- DAF awards Rolls-Royce B-52H engine contract US Air Force 24 Sep 2021 -- The Department of the Air Force has awarded a $2,604,329,361 contract to Rolls-Royce Corporation, Indianapolis, Indiana, for B-52H Stratofortress military derivative commercial engines.
- Fleet Readiness Center East completes first UH-1N "Huey" repair US Navy 24 Sep 2021 -- Fleet Readiness Center East (FRCE) artisans recently completed work on the first UH-1N "Huey" helicopter to undergo service at the depot's facility in Kinston's North Carolina Global TransPark.
- Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group Returns to the South China Sea US Navy 24 Sep 2021 -- The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group is operating in the South China Sea for the second time during its 2021 deployment, Sept. 24 .
- DoD Releases Draft Environmental Impact Statement for Project Pele Mobile Microreactor DoD 24 Sep 2021 -- The Department of Defense's Strategic Capabilities Office released a draft environmental impact statement for building and demonstrating a mobile microreactor.
- Secretary of Defense Austin Approves More DoD Advisory Committees for Resumption of Operations DoD 24 Sep 2021 -- After careful consideration of the recommendations resulting from the zero-based review of all DoD advisory committees, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III has approved the following advisory committees for resumption of operations.
- US Rules Out Redeploying Tactical Nukes to South Korea VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- The United States would not support redeploying tactical nuclear weapons to South Korea, or a nuclear weapons sharing arrangement with Seoul, according to a U.S. State Department official, after a leading South Korean presidential candidate proposed the move.
- U.S., Russia Should Explore Ways To Increase Military Contacts, Top U.S. General Says RFE/RL 24 Sep 2021 -- The top U.S. military officer says the United States should explore ways to expand its military contacts with Russia as a way to increase trust and avoid a miscalculation.
- Pentagon on Milley Proposal: US-Russia Military Contacts Limited to Syria Deconfliction Sputnik 24 Sep 2021 -- Coordination between US and Russian troops is limited to deconfliction in Syria as "a matter of policy and law" due to the situation in Ukraine, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said on Friday in response to a question about US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mark Milley's comments.
- Biden Plays Host to In-person 'Quad' Leaders Summit VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- Leaders of the United States, Japan, India and Australia proclaimed Friday a shared commitment to safeguarding democracy in the Indo-Pacific region, leaving unspoken their common concern about China's growing power.
- Joint Statement from Quad Leaders The White House 24 Sep 2021
- Quad Principles on Technology Design, Development, Governance, and Use The White House 24 Sep 2021
- PLA Air Force to unveil WZ-7 high-altitude reconnaissance drone at Airshow China Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force will for the first time display the WZ-7 high-altitude reconnaissance drone at the Airshow China 2021, to be held in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province, from September 28 to October 3, a spokesperson at the PLA Air Force announced on Friday.
- Quad 'incapable of inflicting substantial harm to China' Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- The Quad summit, scheduled to take place on Friday, which will likely mention marine security concerns for the purpose of containing China and demonstrate that the Indo-Pacific is the current strategic center of the US, was at the stage of forging verbal consensus rather than signing substantial deals, Chinese analysts said on Thursday, noting that US typical practice of abandoning its allies like dumping trash in front of its interests will make Quad another NATO which is existing only in name.
- MoD signs contract with Airbus Defence & Space, Spain for acquisition of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft for IAF India PIB 24 Sep 2021 -- Ministry of Defence (MoD) signed a contract with M/s Airbus Defence and Space, Spain for acquisition of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft for the Indian Air Force, on September 24, 2021.
- JOINT MILITARY TRAINING EXERCISE WITH SHANGHAI COOPERATION ORGANISATION (SCO) MEMBER STATES CULMINATES AT ORENBURG, RUSSIA India PIB 24 Sep 2021 -- The 6th Edition of Exercise PEACEFUL MISSION: 2021 of SCO Member States hosted by Russia at the Orenburg Region of South West Russia culminated on 24 September 2021.
- Royal Navy seizes £17m of cocaine in Caribbean drug bust UK MOD 24 Sep 2021 -- RFA Wave Knight intercepted the suspect craft as it transited international waters near South America, leading to the seizure of 216kg of cocaine.
- U.S.-India Joint Leaders' Statement: A Partnership for Global Good The White House 24 Sep 2021
- Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials Previewing the Quad Leaders Summit and Bilateral Meeting with India The White House 24 Sep 2021
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Call with Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok of Sudan The White House 24 Sep 2021
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jen Psaki and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas, September 24, 2021 The White House 24 Sep 2021
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Mexican Foreign Secretary and Central American Foreign Ministers US Dept. of State 24 Sep 2021
- 24 September 2021 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 24 Sep 2021
- On-the-Record Press Call with the Regional Reporters Association by White House Coordinator for Operation Allies Welcome Jack Markell and Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas on Operation Allies Welcome The White House 24 Sep 2021
- Treasury Issues General Licenses and Guidance to Facilitate Humanitarian Assistance in Afghanistan US Treasury 24 Sep 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) issued two general licenses (GLs) to support the continued flow of humanitarian assistance to the people of Afghanistan and other activities that support basic human needs in Afghanistan.
- At UN, Pakistan Prime Minister urges 'bold steps' to prevent humanitarian crisis Afghanistan UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- Against the backdrop of what he called "a critical time" in Afghanistan, Prime Minister Imran Khan of Pakistan said on Friday that if the situation there is neglected, "a huge humanitarian crisis" lies ahead.
- Pakistan PM Urges World to Support Taliban, Not Isolate It VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- Pakistan's prime minister is urging the international community to support the new Taliban leaders in Afghanistan instead of isolating them.
- Hundreds Of Protesters Demand Release Of Afghanistan's Foreign Reserves RFE/RL Gandhara 24 Sep 2021 -- Hundreds of people have protested in Kabul and other Afghan provinces demanding the release of billions of dollars in foreign reserves blocked abroad as the Taliban's newly installed regime struggles to contain a deepening economic crisis.
- Tajikistan's Rahmon Warns UN Of 'Serious Threats' Emanating From Neighboring Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 24 Sep 2021 -- Tajik President Emomali Rahmon has called on the Taliban to form an inclusive government in neighboring Afghanistan with the participation of all political and ethnic groups in order to allay tensions in the war-torn country.
- Afghanistan: Girls' education must be a given, urges deputy UN chief UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- Ensuring all Afghan girls can be educated must be "a zero condition" for the Taliban, before international recognition of their de facto authority, UN Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed said on Friday.
- Blinken Sees 'Strong Unity of Approach' on Taliban After Talks With Pakistan, Key Regional Players VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- Pakistan says it has conveyed to the United States that while Afghanistan's Taliban rulers should be held to their commitments, the world has "a moral obligation" to collectively work to help the Afghan people deal with a severe humanitarian and economic crisis in the war-ravaged country.
- Thousands of Afghans Flee to Iran as Uncertainty Grows Under Taliban VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- A former Afghan policeman who says he is out of work under the new Taliban government is one of thousands of Afghans who have fled over the border to Iran in recent weeks.
- Afghan Activists to UN: Pressure Taliban to Let Girls Go to School VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- Afghan female activists urged the international community Friday to keep the pressure on the Taliban to let girls return to school, saying Afghanistan's new de facto rulers cannot be allowed to normalize gender discrimination.
- Massive blasts after Yemeni missile hits Saudi militants base in Marib Press TV 24 Sep 2021 -- Yemeni forces have fired a domestically-designed ballistic missile at a position of Saudi militants loyal to the resigned Yemeni president in the country's central province of Ma'rib.
- Syria: 10 years of war has left at least 350,000 dead UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- A decade of war in Syria has left more 350,200 people dead, High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet told the Human Rights Council on Friday, noting that this total was an "under-count of the actual number of killings".
- Armenia 'Ready For Constructive Dialogue' For Lasting Regional Peace, Pashinian Tells UN RFE/RL 24 Sep 2021 -- Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian has told the United Nations that his country is willing to engage in talks to achieve a sustainable peace in the South Caucasus region following last year's war with neighboring Azerbaijan over the region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- US Cautions Mali About Using Russian Mercenaries VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- A potential deal to bring as many as 1,000 Russian mercenaries to Mali is likely to further destabilize the country, according to senior U.S. officials who are urging the interim government to instead focus on elections.
- South Sudan Vice President Calls for End to UN Arms Embargo VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- South Sudan's Vice President Rebecca Nyandeng de Mabior is calling on the United Nations to lift its three-year-old arms embargo on South Sudan.
- South Sudan 'determined to never go back to war' UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- South Sudan is "ready to turn a new page" towards greater peace, development and prosperity, Vice-President Rebecca Nyandeng de Mabior said in her speech in the UN General Assembly on Friday.
- With region 'at a crossroads', Palestinian President calls on UN's Guterres to convene international peace conference UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- The President of the State of Palestine Mahmoud Abbas on Friday called on the UN Secretary-General to convene an international peace conference and said that to ensure that this initiative is not open-ended, Israel must withdraw from the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem within one year.
- Cyprus President determined to get negotiation with Turkey process back on track UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades told UN Member States on Friday that he is determined "to set the negotiation process" with Turkey "back on track", on the basis of the UN framework and the agreement reached in 2019.
- South Sudan 'determined to never go back to war' UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- South Sudan is "ready to turn a new page" towards greater peace, development and prosperity, Vice-President Rebecca Nyandeng de Mabior said in her speech in the UN General Assembly on Friday.
- Alarm bells are ringing over conflict, COVID and climate, 'now we must respond', Ireland tells UN Assembly UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- Looking back over the first four days of the high-level week, the Ireland's Prime Minister said a series of alarms have sounded in the Hall of the General Assembly: for conflict, for COVID, for climate.
- New Government will earn confidence of Lebanese people and international community, President tells UN UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- After a month-long political crisis, Lebanon has embarked on a new phase that will "hopefully mark a promising step on the path of recovery", the country's President old the 76th session of the UN General Assembly on Friday.
- Iraqi President warns against complacency in the fight against terrorism UN News 23 Sep 2021 -- International cooperation and solidarity are the only way to combat terrorism, Iraqi President Barham Salih said in his speech to the UN General Assembly on Thursday, warning against complacency.
- EU Denounces Russian-Linked Cyberattack Campaign As 'Unacceptable' RFE/RL 24 Sep 2021 -- The European Union is urging Russia to adhere to the norms of "responsible state behavior" after a cyberattack campaign targeted a number of member states.
- The Week In Russia: A Dangerous Game Changer RFE/RL 24 Sep 2021 -- Amid mounting oppression, the Kremlin walks away with an election - and heads toward the next one with a new tool that critics contend is being used to fix voting results in its favor. Meanwhile, analysts warn, the problems that have fueled disaffection and prompted protests are going unaddressed as the state resorts to force to maintain control, leaving the future uncertain.
- Communists Warned Against Planned Moscow Protest Over Elections RFE/RL 24 Sep 2021 -- Moscow police and city officials have warned the Communist Party against following through with calls for a gathering in the Russian capital on September 25 to protest the results of last weekend's elections.
- Russian Election Commission Validates Ruling Party Victory Despite Opposition Cries Of Foul RFE/RL 24 Sep 2021 -- Russia's Central Election Commission has validated the results of last week's State Duma elections in the face of opposition allegations of irregularities in favor of the Kremlin-backed ruling United Russia party.
- Top Official Of Russian Gas Company Novatek Arrested In U.S. On Tax Charges RFE/RL 24 Sep 2021 -- A top manager of Russian natural-gas producer Novatek has been arrested in the United States on tax-evasion charges related to offshore bank accounts allegedly holding tens of millions of dollars.
- EU Ministers Unveil Plan to Weaken Russian Grip on Gas Supply Sputnik 24 Sep 2021 -- Europe's energy ministers have joined forces to establish a plan that will reduce their dependence on foreign gas and purchase supplies as a bloc as part of a larger effort to combat Russia's stake in the highly-coveted resource.
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with Minister of Foreign Affairs and National Community Abroad of Algeria Ramtane Lamamra Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Sep 2021
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with President of the Republic of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Sep 2021
- On the Outcome of the First Meeting of the Russia-ASEAN Dialogue on ICT Security-related Issues Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Sep 2021
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's video address to the UN Food Systems Summit, September 24, 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Sep 2021
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with Foreign Minister of Cuba Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Sep 2021
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Sep 2021
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs of France Jean-Yves Le Drian Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Sep 2021
- What Decade of Decline in Bilateral Ties Means for China, Australia VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- China is closely eyeing Australia's growing military capability with concern.
- Huawei CFO Wanzhou Meng Admits to Misleading Global Financial Institution US Dept. of Justice 24 Sep 2021 -- Meng Enters into Deferred Prosecution Agreement to Resolve Fraud Charges
- Return of Canadian Citizens Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor US Dept. of State 24 Sep 2021
- Chinese Official Calls For Upgrade to Nationwide Security Network Radio Free Asia 24 Sep 2021 -- A top Chinese law enforcement official has called on police and local governments to step up their use of big data, artificial intelligence, and networked security cameras to stem potential social unrest in times of "growing uncertainty."
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on September 24, 2021 PRC MofA 24 Sep 2021
- Exclusive: China has taken reciprocal countermeasures against UK Parliament's ban on ambassador, source says Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- China has taken reciprocal countermeasures regarding the UK Parliament's banning of Chinese ambassador from attending events in the Parliament last week, a source close to the matter told the Global Times exclusively on Friday.
- 102 examples of US interference in HK signal 'urgency of Article 23 legislation' Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- The 102 detailed examples of US' blatant interference to China's Hong Kong affairs since 2019, issued for the first time by the Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday, served as a strong counterattack and warning to the US, and also signaled the urgency for legislation of Article 23 of the Hong Kong SAR Basic Law which is likely to be put on the legislative agenda after December, Chinese analysts said on Friday.
- Ironclad details of US malicious interference in HK affairs pile up mountain high: Global Times editorial Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday issued "Fact Sheet: US Interference in Hong Kong Affairs and Support for Anti-China, Destabilizing Forces," offering detailed examples of US deeds around the period of the anti-extradition bill protests in the city. The sheet listed five main facts with a total of 102 examples, vividly presenting to the world the truth of US intervention in Hong Kong affairs.
- Hong Kong develops on positive trend after implementation of national security law: HK official People's Daily 24 Sep 2021 -- A senior official from China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Thursday told a webinar that things have continued to develop on a positive trend there, thanks to the Hong Kong National Security Law and the improvement to its electoral system.
- China draws up list of 100 instances of US 'interference' in Hong Kong Press TV 24 Sep 2021 -- China has recorded more than 100 instances of the United States "interference" in the internal affairs of Hong Kong, urging Washington to stop meddling in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.
- China Accuses US of 'Undermining Stability' as Vigil Organizers Consider Disbanding Radio Free Asia 24 Sep 2021 -- China on Friday accused the United States of trying to undermine stability in Hong Kong, as the organizers of a now-banned candlelight vigil marking the Tiananmen massacre considered whether to disband when the group meets at the weekend.
- Macao SAR chief executive appoints seven members to seventh Legislative Assembly People's Daily 24 Sep 2021 -- Chief Executive of the Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) Ho Iat Seng has appointed seven members to the seventh Legislative Assembly, the SAR Official Gazette said on Thursday.
- China's rare-earth giants forming 'super group' in merger for high-quality devt, deal with price abnormalities Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- China's rare-earth giants are mulling a restructuring, and a super group in the medium-heavy rare-earth sector is expected to be born soon. Analysts said the move will help enhance market concentration to better guide industry development and contribute to improving competitive edge.
- Chinese authorities say cryptocurrency-related businesses illegal, urge exit of cryptocurrency mining Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- The Chinese authorities said on Friday that all cryptocurrency-related businesses are illegal and they urge the exit of cryptocurrency mining projects, as the country doubles down efforts on virtual currency regulation to fend off financial risks and facilitate improvement of the industrial structure for reaching carbon peak and neutrality goals.
- China Joins Lower Mekong River Countries to Study Impacts of Climate Change, Dams VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- China and the countries of the lower Mekong River are teaming up for their largest joint study yet of the impacts climate change and hydropower dams are having on one of Asia's great waterways, and how to cope with the growing threats from floods and drought.
- U.S. House passes defense policy bill with Taiwan provisions CNA 24 Sep 2021 -- The United States House of Representatives passed its annual defense policy bill on Thursday, which includes recommendations for inviting Taiwan to the 2022 Rim of the Pacific Exercise (RIMPAC) and enhancing cooperation between the U.S. National Guard and Taiwan.
- Nauru president touts Taiwan's global record at U.N. General Assembly CNA 24 Sep 2021 -- Nauru President Lionel Aingimea said Thursday at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) that Taiwan has made exemplary contributions globally in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, including to his own country.
- Two Chinese naval vessels reportedly spotted off Taiwan's east coast CNA 24 Sep 2021 -- Two military vessels from China were seen off the east of Taiwan, in the Pacific Ocean, over the past two days, a military source said Friday.
- US defense authorization act only lip service for Taiwan's DPP, as mainland prepares for worst Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- Media on the island of Taiwan cheerfully hyped up a "pro-Taiwan" move by the US on Friday after the US House of Representatives on Thursday approved the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for the 2022 fiscal year which includes "defending" Taiwan island. Experts from the Chinese mainland said US politicians have sent the wrong signals to Taiwan secessionists, making them believe they have protection, despite the Taiwan-related content in the NDAA not being legally binding.
- Taiwan DPP blasted over using CPTPP bid to seek secession Global Times 24 Sep 2021 -- The island of Taiwan's application for membership of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), about one week after the Chinese mainland's, was met with stern warnings from the Chinese central government on Thursday.
- Mainland warns Taiwan's DPP against seeking "independence" under economy, trade pretext People's Daily 24 Sep 2021 -- The Chinese mainland resolutely opposes Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) seeking "independence" under the pretext of economic and trade activities, a Chinese mainland spokesperson said.
- China opposes Taiwan region joining official agreement or organization People's Daily 24 Sep 2021 -- China firmly opposes official interactions between any country and the Taiwan region, and firmly rejects Taiwan's accession to any agreement or organization of official nature, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Thursday.
- North Korean Leader's Sister Seen as Erratic and Arrogant at Home, Officials Say Radio Free Asia 24 Sep 2021 -- The shrill attacks against South Korea and the United States that have made international headlines for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's younger sister are viewed inside the country as evidence of her arrogance and inexperience, government officials told RFA.
- North Korea Gives Mixed Signals on End of War Proposal VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- North Korean officials this week issued conflicting statements reacting to a South Korean reiteration of its call to formally end the Korean War.
- North Korea rejects call to declare end of Korean War over persisting 'US hostile policy' Press TV 24 Sep 2021 -- North Korea has rejected as premature a call by the South to declare a formal end to the decades-long Korean War as long as the "US hostile policy" toward Pyongyang persists.
- Iran Says Talks On Nuclear Deal To Resume 'Very Soon' RFE/RL 24 Sep 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says Tehran will return to negotiations on resuming compliance with the 2015 nuclear deal "very soon."
- Iran to return to nuclear negotiating table: Amirabdollahian IRNA 24 Sep 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian has underlined that the Islamic Republic will return to a fruitful and meaningful nuclear negotiation as soon as possible.
- FM: Iran ready to resume nuclear talks but US sending 'negative sign' Press TV 24 Sep 2021 -- Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says Iran is ready to resume talks on reviving the 2015 nuclear deal but the administration of US President Joe Biden is sending a "negative sign" by keeping illegal sanctions on Tehran.
- Iran engages in only results-oriented talks; high time for US to wake up to new reality: Foreign Ministry Press TV 24 Sep 2021 -- The spokesman for Iran's Foreign Ministry has once again reiterated Tehran's resolve to engage in only results-oriented talks on ways to revive a nuclear deal it snatched with world powers in 2015, saying it is high time for the United States, which unilaterally abandoned the agreement, "to wake up to new reality."
- Nearly Two Dozen Townships in Myanmar Without Internet as Military Tightens Restrictions Radio Free Asia 24 Sep 2021 -- Myanmar's junta has shut down phones and the internet in nearly two dozen townships in Chin state and Magway region to block the flow of information in areas where armed clashes between the military and People's Defense Force (PDF) militias have intensified in recent weeks, residents said Friday.
- Hundreds of Myanmar Junta Security Personnel Defect Over Past Two Weeks Radio Free Asia 24 Sep 2021 -- Around 450 soldiers and police in Myanmar have broken with the military junta over the past two weeks to join the resistance movement in opposition to the Feb. 1 coup that ousted the country's democratically elected government, defector groups told RFA.
- Human rights in Belarus continue downward spiral, warns Bachelet UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said on Friday that she continues to be alarmed by "persistent allegations" of "widespread and systematic torture" of protesters in Belarus.
- UN Rights Chief Sounds Alarm on Growing Abuses in Belarus VOA 24 Sep 2021 -- U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michele Bachelet reported the human rights situation in Belarus continues to worsen, as President Alexander Lukashenko stiffens repressive measures to quell dissent.
- UN Human Rights Council 48: UK statement for the interactive dialogue on the situation of human rights in Belarus UK FCDO 24 Sep 2021 -- UK International Ambassador for Human Rights Rita French gave a statement thanking the High Commissioner for the update on the human rights situation in Belarus.
- Repression and Mass Arrests of Peaceful Cuban Protestors US Dept. of State 24 Sep 2021 -- Starting on July 11, tens of thousands of Cubans in dozens of cities and towns throughout their country took to the streets to peacefully demand respect for their human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- Brazil's Bolsonaro: UK PM has asked for 'emergency' food deal Press TV 24 Sep 2021 -- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro says British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has requested Brazil for an "emergency" trade deal to provide some food products lacking in the UK, amid concerns about further supply shortages in the market.
- 2nd Iran fuel tanker for Lebanese docks at Syrian port IRNA 24 Sep 2021 -- The Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah has declared that the second Iranian tanker carrying mazut has docked at Banyas port in Syria to transit fuel to Lebanon.
- Second tanker ship carrying Iranian fuel to Lebanon arrives in Syria's Baniyas port: Hezbollah Press TV 24 Sep 2021 -- The Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement has announced the arrival of a second Iranian tanker ship loaded with diesel in Syria in order to help ease crippling fuel shortages in crisis-stricken Lebanon amid a dire economic crisis.
- Cambodia Defends Decision to Hire US Lobbying Firm to Improve Its Image Radio Free Asia 24 Sep 2021 -- Cambodia on Friday defended its decision to hire a U.S lobbying firm to advocate for the government and boost its reputation abroad, while the opposition party and an NGO said the money being paid is a waste of the national budget.
- UN Human Rights Council 48: UK statement for interactive dialogue with the High Commissioner on Venezuela UK FCDO 24 Sep 2021 -- UK International Ambassador for Human Rights Rita French gave a statement encouraging Venezuela to give effect to the previous recommendations made by the Fact Finding Mission and to fully cooperate with the Mission.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|