19 June 2021 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Two Guantanamo detainees from Yemen win release Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- Two inmates held for over 17 years without charges at notorious US military prison in Guantanamo Bay have won their release, according to newly published Pentagon filings on their cases.
- USS Laboon Conducts Passing Exercise with British Royal Navy and Royal Netherlands Navy US Navy 19 Jun 2021 -- The Arleigh Burke-Class guided-missile destroyer USS Laboon (DDG 58) completed a series of passing and communication exercises (PASSEX) with the British Royal Navy and Royal Netherlands Navy, June 17, 2021 in the Black Sea.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Phone Call With Turkish Minister of National Defense Hulusi Akar DoD 19 Jun 2021
- U.S. Says 'Contingency' Aid Ready If Russia Attacks Ukraine RFE/RL 19 Jun 2021 -- The United States has prepared contingency military aid in the event of further Russian military incursions into Ukraine, the White House has said.
- Russia to leave Open Skies Treaty on Dec. 18 People's Daily 19 Jun 2021 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry announced on Friday that the country will officially withdraw from the Treaty on Open Skies on Dec. 18 this year.
- Moscow says Russia will fully leave Treaty on Open Skies late this year after US exit Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- Russia says late this year it will completely pull out of the Treaty on Open Skies, which allows reconnaissance flights over the entire territory of the parties to the treaty, months after the United States unilaterally withdrew from the key trust-building pact.
- Iranian Army's 74th flotilla of warships returns home after 3-month mission in high seas Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- The Iranian Navy's 74th flotilla of warships has returned to the country's territorial waters at the southeastern port of Chabahar after sailing in international waters for 91 days.
- US approves replenishment of Israel's Iron Dome after Gaza defeat Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- The United States has vowed to reinforce Israel's so-called Iron Dome after Tel Aviv suffered a defeat in its 11-day war on the Gaza Strip, with the regime's much-publicized missile system failing in the face of a massive rocket fire by Palestinian resistance movements.
- 'Absolutely Not': Imran Khan Swats Down CIA Request to Use Pakistani Bases for Afghanistan Ops Sputnik 19 Jun 2021 -- The Pentagon and US State Department have been pursuing former Soviet republics to Afghanistan's north as places to continue operations after the September 2021 withdrawal, but have so far had little luck, given their proximity and ties to the Russian Federation.
- Afghan President Taps New Defense, Interior Ministers RFE/RL Gandhara 19 Jun 2021 -- Afghanistan's president has introduced two nominees to head the Defense and Interior ministries at a crucial juncture for the country, with Taliban militants winning ground and foreign forces embarked on a complete withdrawal by September.
- Afghanistan's President Ghani reshuffles cabinet amid surge in violence Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has ordered a shake-up of two ministries charged with managing national security against the backdrop of an intensification of attacks by the Taliban to capture more territories.
- Serbian City Mayor Orders Partial Evacuation Following New Explosion at Military Plant Sputnik 19 Jun 2021 -- A second explosion in one month rocked a military factory in the Serbian city of Cacak on Saturday, prompting the mayor, Milun Todorovic, to order an evacuation of local residents.
- Statement by White House Spokesperson Jen Psaki on the Visit of President Reuven Rivlin of Israel The White House 19 Jun 2021
- Refugees disproportionately exposed to COVID impact: Guterres UN News 19 Jun 2021 -- Everyone has a duty to help refugees rebuild their lives after a particularly difficult year for so many – that's the message from UN Secretary-General António Guterres, to mark World Refugee Day on 20 June.
- Millions of Refugees Face Hunger as Donor Support Withers VOA 19 Jun 2021 -- Ahead of World Refugee Day, the World Food Program is appealing for international support for millions of destitute refugees, many of whom are facing hunger because money to feed them has dried up.
- Haftar's Libyan National Army Declares Border With Algeria 'Militarized Zone' Sputnik 19 Jun 2021 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, on Saturday declared the Libyan border with Algeria a militarized zone.
- Poles Blame Kremlin For 'Unprecedented' Cyberattack On Senior Officials RFE/RL 19 Jun 2021 -- Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki has said that Poland's security services were scrambling to "secure the many inboxes" of ranking politicians victimized by an "external hack cooked up at the Kremlin."
- Putin Promises Billions In New Spending Ahead Of Russian Elections RFE/RL 19 Jun 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has promised billions of rubles in additional spending in the months remaining before legislative elections in September.
- Russia, China begin drawing up ambitious plans for space missions Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- Russia and China have teamed up for ambitious space missions that would directly compete with those of the United States and its allies.
- Xi stresses drawing strength from CPC history to forge ahead People's Daily 19 Jun 2021 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Friday stressed bearing in mind the course of the Party's struggles, shouldering the historic mission and drawing strength from the Party's history to forge ahead.
- Three Chinese military vessels spotted off east coast of Taiwan CNA 19 Jun 2021 -- Three Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) vessels sailed through the Pacific Ocean off the coast of eastern Taiwan's outlying Green Island on Friday, Taiwan's military personnel said Saturday.
- 3rd Plenary Meeting of 8th Central Committee of WPK Closes KCNA 19 Jun 2021 -- The 3rd Plenary Meeting of the 8th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) closed on June 18 after successfully wrapping up the discussion of the agendas as the millions of Party members, boundlessly inspired by the leadership of the great Party Central Committee, displayed their iron will to faithfully implement the important policies newly indicated by the Party.
- North Korea's Kim 'solemnly' pledges to overcome economic woes Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has "solemnly" pledged to take his country out of its economic troubles deepened by the US sanctions and the coronavirus pandemic.
- Rouhani congratulates Iran's President-elect IRNA 19 Jun 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani met and congratulated President-elect Seyyed Ebrahim Raisi for his victory in the 13th presidential election.
- Meet The New Boss: Iran's Raisi In His Own Words And Those Of Others RFE/RL 19 Jun 2021 -- Hard-line cleric Ebrahim Raisi has been declared the presumptive winner of Iran's June 18 presidential vote, which was marred by the disqualification of prominent moderates that paved the way for Raisi's path to presidency.
- President-elect Raeisi: I'll form a hard-working, anti-corruption administration Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- Iran's President-elect Seyyed Ebrahim Raeisi has lauded the "historic" and "passionate" turnout in the June 18 election, which he won overwhelmingly, vowing to make good on his campaign pledges and work to form a "hard-working, revolutionary, and anti-corruption" administration.
- Ebrahim Raeisi wins Iran's presidential election by landslide Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- Seyyed Ebrahim Raeisi has won Iran's 2021 presidential election by a landslide, according to the final results by the Interior Ministry.
- Ebrahim Raisi elected as Iran's new President ISNA 19 Jun 2021 -- Ebrahim Raisi was elected as Iran's new President.
- Ebrahim Raisi leads Iran presidential election with 17.8m votes IRNA 19 Jun 2021 -- Initial results emerged so far from the June 18 Iran presidential election announced by the Election Office suggest that Judiciary Chief Ebrahim Raisi has taken a wide lead over rivals with 17.8 million votes out of 28.6 million ballots counted.
- Observers See Low Iranian Election Turnout as Disavowal of Leadership VOA 19 Jun 2021 -- Iran's interior minister on Saturday declared judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi the winner of the nation's presidential election, saying he'd drawn 17 million of the 28 million votes cast.
- Supreme Leader calls on elected people to take chance to serve nation IRNA 19 Jun 2021 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Saturday urged the president-elect and those elected as village and city councilors in Friday's nationwide elections to take the chance to serve the Iranian nation.
- Khamenei Hails Iran Vote After Presidential Race Called For Hard-Liner Raisi RFE/RL 19 Jun 2021 -- Iranian election officials have announced that hard-liner Ebrahim Raisi has beat out a narrow field of mostly conservative candidates to win Iran's presidential election with nearly 62 percent of the vote.
- Iran, P4+1 likely to reach agreement on JCPOA revival before Rouhani's administration leaves office: FM Zarif Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Tehran and the remaining signatories to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), are likely to agree on ways to revive the agreement before the end of President Hassan Rouhani's term in office in mid-August.
- Armenia Votes For New Parliament, Braces For Possible Violence After 'Toxic' Campaign RFE/RL 19 Jun 2021 -- Armenia's snap elections are aimed at resolving a political crisis that has engulfed the country since fighting last autumn in the war against Azerbaijan over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Fears of Bolivia-style coup in Peru as ex-officers reject Castillo's win Press TV 19 Jun 2021 -- A group of retired Peruvian officers have called on the country's military to refuse to recognize the projected victory of socialist candidate Pedro Castillo in the presidential election unless vote fraud allegations are fully investigated.
- 'Case Closed': Serbian Officials Silent After Russia Blamed For 'Ecstasy' Attack On Teen In Belgrade RFE/RL 19 Jun 2021 -- The Serbian Interior Ministry has ignored an official request seeking documents to shed light on a politician's allegation that Russian diplomats attacked his teenage daughter at a Belgrade McDonald's two years ago before they were whisked away and the incident was swept under the carpet by police.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|