06 January 2021 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Advanced Security Cameras To Be Installed Across Kabul To Help Thwart Attacks RFE/RL Gandhara 06 Jan 2021 -- Afghanistan First Vice President Amrullah Saleh has announced plans to install security cameras with "advanced" technology across Kabul to better tackle actions by "terrorists and thieves" in the capital.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Acting Attorney General Jeffrey A. Rosen Regarding the Overrunning of the U.S. Capitol Building US Dept. of Justice 06 Jan 2021
- Statement from Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on the Failed Coup Attempt in Washington, D.C. New York State 06 Jan 2021
- At Request of U.S. National Guard, Governor Andrew Cuomo Deploys 1,000 Members of New York National Guard to Washington, D.C. New York State 06 Jan 2021
- Statement by Jonathan Hoffman, Chief Pentagon Spokesman, on D.C. Guard Mobilization DoD 06 Jan 2021
- Statement by Acting Secretary Miller on Full Activation of D.C. National Guard DoD 06 Jan 2021
- Update to Statement by Jonathan Hoffman, Chief Pentagon Spokesman, on D.C. Guard Mobilization DoD 06 Jan 2021
- World Leaders Condemn Pro-Trump Riot at US Capitol VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- International leaders expressed shock and condemned the unprecedented scenes on Capitol Hill as a pro-Trump riot breached the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday.
- US Capitol Secure, Lawmakers to Return to Validate Biden Election VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- Hours after a mob of supporters of President Donald Trump swarmed the U.S. Capitol, lawmakers returned to the building to begin again the process of certifying the Electoral College results, thereby allowing Joe Biden and Kamala Harris to be sworn in as president and vice president, respectively, on Jan. 20.
- Statement by Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller on Operation Warp Speed Vaccine Doses Delivered Today DoD 06 Jan 2021
- Cyber Beacon Provides Venue for Sharing Innovative Approaches to Top Strategic Challenges DoD News 06 Jan 2021 -- Last month the College of Information and Cyberspace at National Defense University, located on historic Fort McNair in the nation's capital, hosted their 7th annual Cyber Beacon Conference.
- Pentagon Defends $265 Bln ICBM-Replacement Programme Amid Reports of Possible Biden Review Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- The United States is in the middle of a $1.5 trillion programme to upgrade its nuclear arsenal. The programme started under President Barack Obama and continued in expanded form under Donald Trump, with costs continuing to grow.
- Readout of U.S.-Maldives Inaugural Defense and Security Dialogue DoD 06 Jan 2021
- NATO Secretary General: 2021 will be a pivotal year NATO 06 Jan 2021 -- Speaking ahead of a virtual address to German Christian Social Union (CSU) parliamentarians on Wednesday (6 January 2021), Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg explained that 2021 will be a crucial year for NATO. At a press point with Alexander Dobrindt, Chairman of the CSU Parliamentary Group, Mr. Stoltenberg praised Allied armed forces for supporting civilian efforts to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Chinese arms company delivers 50th made-for-export Wing Loong II drone Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- The 50th Chinese-made Wing Loong II drone was delivered at the end of 2020, showing China's high-end drone products are fully suitable for the international market, analysts said on Tuesday.
- China develops world-class escape system for submarine crew members Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- China has developed a new type of escape system for individual submarine crew members and successfully completed a combat testing for the system, as the country reaches world-level in related technologies, according to recent media reports.
- China starts 2021 military recruitment work PLA Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- China has officially started the biannual military recruitment work in 2021 recently. Due to the outbreak of COVID-19, the biannual recruitment mechanism, which was originally planned to start in 2020, will be implemented from the year 2021. This will be the first time for the Chinese military to carry out recruitment work in spring since 1990.
- Government will ensure best of weapons and protective armours to our soldiers: Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Shripad Yesso Naik India PIB 06 Jan 2021 -- Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Shripad Yesso Naik handed over One Hundredth thousandth Bullet Proof Jacket (BPJ) to the Chief of Army Staff General M M Naravane in a ceremony held in New Delhi on 6th January 2021.
- Iran's long-range suicide drones' operations successful IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran's long-range suicide drones succeeded in destroying the set targets in a drill, the public relations office of the Iranian Army reported on Wednesday.
- Iran combat UAVs successfully destroy targets on 2nd day of drill Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran's Army Karrar-class drone has successfully intercepted and destroyed mock hostile targets during a large-scale drill involving combat unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
- Iran Says It Has New Series of Ultra-Long Range Drones Able to Hit US Bases in Middle East, Europe Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- The Islamic Republic has one of the most sophisticated drone and missile programmes in the world. Tehran began its first drone drills Tuesday amid the latest escalation of tensions with Washington.
- Home-made Ababil drone fires Almas missile to destroy surface targets IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- During the final stage of the Iranian army military drone exercise, ground forces' Ababil drones which are equipped with Almas air-to-surface and precision-guided missiles successfully destroyed surface targets.
- Iran test-fires Azarakhsh missile from national drone IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran Army successfully test-fired Azarakhsh (Thunderstorm) missile from its Karrar-class drone at the second day of military drills on Wednesday.
- IRGC Cmdr: Enemy should not make any mistakes in Persian Gulf IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Major General Hossein Salami said on Wednesday that the IRGC Navy is completely ready to defend the security of the Persian Gulf and that the enemy should be careful not to have any miscalculations in the region.
- IRGC Comdr: Americans must be expelled from region IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Commander of the IRGC Quds Forces Brigadier General Esmail Ghaani on Wednesday said that the Americans must be expelled from the region.
- Iran says will not accept interference in its defense policies Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh says Tehran will brook no meddling in its affairs, including in defense policies.
- Army conducts nighttime live-fire drill to test combat readiness CNA 06 Jan 2021 -- The Army launched a live-fire exercise late Tuesday at a southern military drill ground to test the armed forces combat readiness at night.
- U.S., Taiwan Political-Military Dialogue to be held: State Department CNA 06 Jan 2021 -- The Assistant Secretary for Political-Military Affairs at the U.S. State Department, R. Clarke Cooper, is scheduled to deliver remarks during a U.S. and Taiwan Political-Military Dialogue on Wednesday, according to the State Department.
- China to respond to planned Taiwan-US military talks Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- China has voiced strong opposition to planned military talks between the United States and Taiwan, warning that it would give the "necessary response" to the negotiations.
- £550m F-35 missile contract signed UK MOD 06 Jan 2021 -- A £550 million contract for new surface-attack missiles will secure hundreds of UK jobs and provide unrivalled lethality for the UK's F-35B Lightning jets, Defence Minister Jeremy Quin announced today.
- 6 January 2021 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Jan 2021
- Security Council has critical role in addressing fragility and conflict: UN chief UN News 06 Jan 2021 -- UN Secretary-General António Guterres has underlined the critical role of the Security Council in addressing links between fragility and conflict, two of the greatest obstacles to achieving sustainable development across the world.
- Syrian air defenses thwart Israeli aggression: SANA Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Syria's air defenses have thwarted an Israeli missile attack on southern Damascus, shooting down most of the missiles.
- China calls for caution in dealing with Syria chemical weapon issue People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- A Chinese envoy on Tuesday called for caution in dealing with the issue of Syria's chemical weapons.
- OPCW, its teams serve as tools in hands of states hostile to Syria: UN envoy Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Syria says the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and its investigation teams have become tools in the hands of countries hostile to the Damascus government, and that reports compiled by the organization lack credibility.
- Deadly car bomb attacks 'tragic reminder' of price civilians pay in Syria UN News 06 Jan 2021 -- The killing of civilians in separate car bomb attacks in northern Syria on Saturday has been condemned by top UN humanitarian officials for the country.
- Azerbaijan Calls Official Armenian Visit To Nagorno-Karabakh 'Provocation' RFE/RL 06 Jan 2021 -- Azerbaijan's Foreign Ministry has protested a visit of Armenian Foreign Minister Ara Aivazian to the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region, calling it a provocation and "an attempt to incite tension."
- Azerbaijani President Orders Construction Of Airport In Fuzuli District Back Under Baku's Control RFE/RL 06 Jan 2021 -- Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev has ordered the government to build an international airport in Fuzuli, a district adjacent to the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, which was placed under Baku's control as part of a truce signed following a 44-day war with ethnic Armenian forces late last year.
- India Offers to Boost Sri Lankan Navy as China Challenges Delhi's Dominance in Indian Ocean Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- To counter China's maritime influence in its backyard, India has been strengthening defence ties with countries in and around the Indian Ocean. India's foreign minister recently assured that India will be a reliable partner for the island nation.
- IRC Works With Sudanese Authorities to Expand Aid Delivery to Ethiopian Refugees VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- The International Rescue Committee says it will help Sudanese authorities roll out emergency services in the Um Rakuba and Tenetba camps, where thousands of Ethiopians are seeking refuge after fleeing conflict in Ethiopia's Tigray region.
- US Envoy Sees Hope in Africa's Violence-Wracked Sahel Region VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- The top U.S. envoy to Africa's Sahel region acknowledges that it has been a rough few weeks in the sprawling desert region — which covers the West African nations of Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger.
- Sudan Religious Leaders Hold Talks Aimed at Ending Intercommunal Fighting VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- With an eye toward ending intercommunal violence that killed dozens of people last month in Central Equatoria state, South Sudanese religious leaders and civil society activists have organized direct peace and reconciliation talks between various communities.
- Department of Justice Statement on Solarwinds Update US Dept. of Justice 06 Jan 2021 -- The Department of Justice Spokesman Marc Raimondi issued the following statement:
- US Justice Department Confirms It Was Victim of SolarWinds Hack VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- The U.S. Department of Justice confirmed on Wednesday that it had been the victim of a massive hacking operation linked to Russian intelligence.
- Health Ministry deploys multi-disciplinary teams to Avian Influenza affected districts in Kerala and Haryana India PIB 06 Jan 2021 -- The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has deployed multi-disciplinary teams to Avian Influenza affected Alappuzha and Kottayam districts in Kerala, and Panchkula District, Haryana.
- Venezuela's newly-elected National Assembly convenes Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Venezuela's newly-elected National Assembly (Congress) convened for the first time on Tuesday, launching its 2021-2026 legislative period.
- New Venezuela parliament sworn in, US-backed Guaido out Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- A new Venezuelan parliament has been sworn in, with President Nicolas Maduro's Socialist Party consolidating control and US-backed opposition figure Juan Guaido left without a job.
- Lima Group Does Not Recognize Legitimacy of Venezuela National Assembly Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- The Lima Group said in a statement that it did not recognize the legitimacy of Venezuela's new National Assembly.
- British Judge Denies Bail to WikiLeaks' Founder Assange VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- A British judge has rejected a request to release WikiLeaks' founder Julian Assange on bail, ordering him to remain incarcerated while British courts determine whether he should face espionage charges in the United States.
- British Judge Denies Bail To Assange As U.S. Appeals Decision Blocking Extradition RFE/RL Gandhara 06 Jan 2021 -- A British judge has denied bail to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange two days after she rejected an extradition request by the United States to face charges over the publication of secret U.S. military documents.
- Julian Assange denied bail by the Old Bailey Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Barely two days after his extradition to the US was blocked on health grounds, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been denied bail by the Old Bailey in London.
- UK Judge Denies Bail for Julian Assange During US Extradition Appeal Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- Judge Baraitser has repeatedly refused to grant the WikiLeaks publisher bail, declined to intervene with prison authorities to improve Assange's access to his legal team and case files, and failed to address his alleged mistreatment at the hands of prison officials.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on January 6, 2021 PRC MofA 06 Jan 2021
- On the Mass Arrests of Democracy Advocates in Hong Kong US Dept. of State 06 Jan 2021 -- Today's arrests of more than 50 politicians and pro-democracy advocates by local authorities in Hong Kong is an outrage, and a reminder of the Chinese Communist Party's contempt for its own people and the rule of law. Those arrested are guilty of nothing but exercising the democratic rights promised to them by treaty, and due to them through virtue of their humanity. They should be released immediately and unconditionally.
- Turkish Opposition Leader Says Extradition Treaty With China Should Hinge on Xinjiang Probe Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2021 -- Turkish opposition leader Selçuk Özdağ has called on President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to withdraw an extradition treaty with China, saying ratification should not proceed until Beijing allows independent monitors to probe reports of human rights abuses in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).
- Africa is a stage for international cooperation, not for great power games: Chinese FM Wang Yi Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Africa should be a stage for international cooperation, not an arena for great power games, said Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi, during his visit to Nigeria on Tuesday as part of his five-nation tour to Africa.
- US government ridiculous to restrict eight Chinese apps: Foreign Ministry Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying urged the US government to abide by principles of market economy and fair competition, international economic and trade rules, and provide an open, fair & non-discriminatory business climate for investors in the US, including Chinese companies.
- Beijing Blasts US Over Ban on Chinese Payment Apps, Says Move Hurts Market Order Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump again escalated the US-China trade war by signing an executive order banning the use of eight major Chinese payment apps, including Alipay, the world's largest online payment platform, which is used by over one billion people.
- Wall Street, China May Have Influenced NYSE Reversal on Chinese Telecoms VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- In a surprising reversal, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) announced early this week that it no longer intended to delist three Chinese telecom companies that had been targeted by the outgoing Trump administration for suspected ties to the Chinese military.
- China's central bank to strengthen regulation over fintech Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- China's central bank vowed to implement new measures to further promote China's financial sector's development including strengthening regulations governing the fintech sector, releasing accurate monetary policies, and further opening up China's financial sector, according to a statement on the People's Bank of China's website.
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Dozens of Opposition Politicians, Activists For 'Subversion' Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2021 -- National security police in Hong Kong on Wednesday arrested more than 50 opposition politicians and activists in a city-wide crackdown on dissent under a draconian law imposed by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
- At Least 50 Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Figures Arrested in Pre-Dawn Raids VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- At least 50 pro-democracy activists were arrested Wednesday in Hong Kong in the biggest crackdown on opposition forces in the semiautonomous city under the new national security law.
- Hong Kong Arrests Over 50 Opposition Figures Under National Security Law, Reports Say Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- Police in Hong Kong on Wednesday detained over 50 high-profile anti-Beijing activists and politicians, including one US national, in early morning raids, media reported.
- Hong Kong pro-democracy arrests: Foreign Secretary statement UK FCDO 06 Jan 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab comments on the arrest of over 50 pro-democracy politicians and activists under the National Security Law in Hong Kong.
- Taiwan condemns arrest of Hong Kong democracy activists CNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday condemned Hong Kong police for the arrest of over 50 democracy activists and harassing pro-democracy media outlets earlier that day under the territory's controversial national security law.
- 53 HK anti-govt figures arrested for subversion to 'deter natl security law offenders' Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- The Hong Kong Police Force confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that it arrested 53 people on charges of subversion, including six involved in organizing and planning it, in a move which observers said is a legitimate and long-awaited action.
- Hong Kong police arrest over 50 suspected of violating national security law People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- More than 50 people were arrested during a police operation on Wednesday on suspicion of committing crimes including subversion under the national security law in Hong Kong, the Hong Kong police said.
- Hong Kong police arrest dozens for violating national security law Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Police in Hong Kong have arrested dozens of individuals for violating the national security law by either organizing or participating in an unauthorized "primary election" in the semi-autonomous city last year.
- Hong Kong Mass 'Subversion' Arrests Prompt Calls to Drop EU Investment Deal Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2021 -- The mass arrests of Hong Kong opposition politicians and activists under China's draconian national security law on Wednesday have sparked calls on the European Parliament to reject a controversial investment pact recently agreed between the EU and Beijing.
- EU Concerned About Arrests of Over 50 Activists in Hong Kong Under Security Law Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- The European Union is concerned about the arrests of more than 50 opposition activists in Hong Kong and urges China to release them, a European Commission spokesman said Wednesday.
- China Notifies Downstream Mekong Neighbors Days After It Began Holding Back Water Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2021 -- China informed downstream Mekong River neighbors of a 20-day water restriction at its southernmost dam on the waterway six days after it started holding back water on Dec. 31, drawing a mix of credit for sharing data with downstream governments and criticism for not giving Thailand, Cambodia and others advance notice.
- China Is Increasing Taiwan Airspace Incursions VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- The number of Chinese incursions into Taiwan's airspace last year was the highest since 1996, which experts say is worsening the risk for conflict without drawing international headlines.
- North Korea Admits Failure, Mulls Future VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- North Korea has opened a major, multi-day political gathering in the capital, Pyongyang, with leader Kim Jong Un using the forum to acknowledge recent economic failures.
- North Korea's Kim Jong-Un Admits Economic Plan 'Fell Short' of Objectives in 'Almost All Areas' Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un convened a rare congress of the ruling Workers' Party on Tuesday with thousands of delegates and observers in attendance, KCNA reported, to determine "a fresh line of struggle and strategic and tactical policies".
- Congress of Struggle and Advance Which Will Mark Great Watershed in Overall Development of Korean-style Socialism KCNA 06 Jan 2021 -- The 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) opened in Pyongyang, the capital of the revolution, on January 5, Juche 110 (2021) amid the great attention, expectations and aspiration of all Party members, people and service personnel across the country.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Makes Opening Speech at 8th WPK Congress KCNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un made an opening speech at the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Starts Report on Work of 7th Central Committee of WPK KCNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, started his historic report on the work of the 7th Central Committee of the Party at the first-day sitting of the 8th Congress of the WPK.
- DPRK top leader reviews work as 8th Party Congress opens People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- The eighth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) opened here on Tuesday, with top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un delivering an opening address, reported official media on Wednesday.
- Kim says North Korea power, global prestige bolstered since last congress meeting Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has hailed domestic accomplishments made in recent years, saying the country achieved a "miraculous victory" by bolstering its power and global prestige since the last meeting of the ruling Workers' Party Congress.
- Ayatollah Holds Khamenei Responsible for Killings in Iran Radio Farda 06 Jan 2021 -- Ayatollah Mahmoud Amjad member of the seminary in Qom, , warned on his Instagram page on Monday, January 4, that he intends to rise against the "corrupt" seminary and "the ungodly turbaned heads who have no conscience."
- Serious evidence about Israel's role in terror attack on Iranian scientist IRNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran's Minister of Defense Brigadier General Amir Hatami announced that there is "serious evidence" about the role of the Zionist regime of Israel in the November 2020 assassination of Iranian scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh.
- Iran's nuclear steps to be reversed upon full implementation of JCPOA commitments by all: Ravanchi ISNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran's ambassador and permanent representative to the United Nations Majid Takht Ravanchi stressed that the country's nuclear steps will be reversed upon full implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) commitments by all.
- European Powers Say Iran's Enrichment Could Undermine Nuclear Diplomacy RFE/RL 06 Jan 2021 -- Britain, France, and Germany have called on Iran to reverse its decision to restart uranium enrichment at the 20 percent level, describing the move as "a serious negative development" in violation of a 2015 nuclear accord.
- UK, France, Germany Say Iran's 20% Uranium Enrichment Threatens Chances for Diplomacy Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- The United Kingdom, France and Germany expressed their concerns on Wednesday over Iran's move to resume uranium enrichment up to 20 percent at the Fordow facility, warning that it may shatter chances for "a return to diplomacy" under the incoming Joe Biden administration in the United States.
- Iran starts high-grade uranium enrichment People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran has started obtaining 20-percent enriched uranium, the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) announced on Tuesday.
- Russia criticizes U.S. as "root cause" of Iran uranium enrichment People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that the United States is responsible for Iran's recent decision of enriching uranium to 20 percent.
- Iran urges Seoul to behave 'logically' over Iran's seizure of tanker ISNA 06 Jan 2021 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman called on Seoul to behave rationally in dealing with Tehran's seizure of a South Korean vessel due to technical issues.
- Iran urges South Korea to behave 'rationally' over seized tanker Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran has called on South Korea to behave "rationally and responsibly" regarding the technical case of its tanker, which was seized recently in the Persian Gulf by Iranian naval forces for repeated violations of maritime environmental law.
- If Biden lives up to his commitments, we will fulfil ours: Iran President ISNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Reviewing the victory of the Iranian nation in the three important historical periods of the Islamic Movement and Revolution, the war with Iraq and the economic war of the enemies, Iran's President emphasized that no one in the world should think that they can destroy the Iranian nation with sanctions and economic war. The Iranian nation continues on its path with power and at the same time welcomes the other side's submission to the law.
- U.S. Slaps New Sanctions On Key Iranian Metals Industry Radio Farda 06 Jan 2021 -- The United States has blacklisted 16 companies and an individual linked to Iran's metals industry as part of continued efforts by the outgoing administration of U.S. President Donald Trump to deprive the country of revenue.
- Iran's actual gas processing hits record high of 840 million mcm: NIGC Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- The National Iranian Gas Company (NIGC) says the daily amount of production and processing of natural gas in the country hit an all-time high of 840 million cubic meters (mcm), a whopping figure which the country's energy minister says is roughly more than half the amount of gas consumed in the entire Europe.
- IRGC says US' terrorist adventurism led to Ukrainian plane crash, pledges harsh revenge Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- On the anniversary of a crash of a Ukrainian passenger plane in Iran, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the US adventurism in the region led to the tragic incident, pledging a harsh revenge against enemies.
- Iran's IRGC Links Downing of Ukraine Airlines Jet With US Activity in Middle East Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) on Wednesday blamed the downing of the Ukraine International Airlines flight on US activity in the Middle East as the tragedy's first anniversary approaches.
- Belarus Extends Pretrial Detention Of Opposition Figure Kalesnikava RFE/RL 06 Jan 2021 -- Belarusian authorities have prolonged the pretrial detention of Maryya Kalesnikava, an opposition figure who is facing national-security charges, for two months.
- Kazakh Elections Under New President Looking A Lot Like Previous Votes Under Nazarbaev RFE/RL 06 Jan 2021 -- Kazakhstan will hold its first parliamentary elections on January 10 without longtime authoritarian Nursultan Nazarbaev as the president.
- Kazakh Activists Warn Of Crackdown As More Jailed Ahead Of Parliamentary Vote RFE/RL 06 Jan 2021 -- Kazakh activists have been jailed across the Central Asian country in what rights activists say is a crackdown on civil liberties and free speech ahead of parliamentary elections this weekend.
- Myanmar police arrest 100 Rohingya for traveling in their own country Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Police in Myanmar have arrested about 100 people from the Rohingya Muslim community for leaving their native western state of Rakhine.
- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Chairs Cabinet's Virtual Session SPA 06 Jan 2021 -- The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Prime Minister, chaired today the Cabinet's virtual session.
- UN chief welcomes declaration on resolving the 'Gulf rift' UN News 06 Jan 2021 -- The United Nations Secretary-General has welcomed the al Ula declaration on "solidarity and stability", announced at the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Summit on Tuesday, aimed at strengthening peace and prosperity in the region.
- Kyrgyz Police Reject Allegations Of Voter Intimidation Ahead Of Presidential Poll RFE/RL 06 Jan 2021 -- Police in Kyrgyzstan's southern region of Osh have rejected allegations of voter intimidation in the Kara-Suu district, saying that claims about young men visiting local homes and threatening residents with violence if they did not vote for Sadyr Japarov were "lies."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|