07 November 2020 Military News
- IMF Approves $370 Million Loan Program To Help Bolster Afghanistan's Struggling Economy RFE/RL Gandhara 07 Nov 2020 -- The board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has approved a $370 million loan facility to support the economy of Afghanistan, which is suffering from decades of war as well as the effects of the global coronavirus crisis.
- Deadly Kabul Attacks Expose Possible Divisions Within The Taliban RFE/RL Gandhara 07 Nov 2020 -- Major Afghan cities have been largely spared from the deadly militant attacks that once struck them regularly.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS John S. McCain sails alongside JS Ōnami, HMAS Ballarat US Navy 07 Nov 2020 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) joined the Royal Australian Navy Anzac-class frigate HMAS Ballarat (FFH 155) and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) Takanami-class destroyer JS Ōnami (DD 111) during integrated operations in the Indian Ocean, Nov. 6, 2020
- U.S., Bangladesh, Regional Organizations Discuss Shared Maritime Domain Awareness Goals US Navy 07 Nov 2020 -- The U.S. and Bangladesh navies came together to improve cooperation when dealing with crises at sea through improved Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) during a web-based roundtable as a part of Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Bangladesh 2020
- Kuwait and U.S. Naval Forces Conduct Exercise in North Arabian Gulf US Navy 07 Nov 2020 -- The Kuwait Naval Force (KNF), Kuwait Coast Guard and U.S. Navy and Coast Guard forces assigned to U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT) participated in a bilateral, joint maritime security patrol exercise in the North Arabian Gulf, Nov. 5
- Lisa Gordon-Hagerty resigns as chief of US nuclear weapons agency Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- Lisa Gordon-Hagerty, the head of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and under secretary of energy for nuclear security has resigned her post effectively immediately.
- Russian military's new electronic warfare system to impact Europe, US Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- The Russian military has conducted a sweeping use of electronic suppression systems capable of jamming signals within a radius of up to 5,000 kilometres that covers all of Europe and part of the US, its Navy's Arctic-based Northern Fleet has confirmed.
- Armenia Considers Tripling Compulsory Payments To Army Insurance Fund RFE/RL 07 Nov 2020 -- Armenia's Ministry of Defense has proposed tripling the amount of money working Armenians pay to a special fund set up for compensation paid to the families of soldiers killed or seriously wounded in war.
- EU imposes sanctions on eight more Syria government ministers Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- The European Union has imposed sanctions on eight more ministers recently appointed to the Syrian government, in what is the latest round of economic bans that the bloc has slapped against 280 businesses, individuals, and other entities affiliated with President Bashar al-Assad's administration.
- Syria has no chemical weapons, keeps cooperating with OPCW: UN envoy Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- Syria's Ambassador to the United Nations Bashar al-Jaafari has reiterated that his country is not in possession of chemical weapons and remains committed to cooperating with the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
- UN: 'Sabotage' underway amid arbitrary detention of eastern Libyans in Tripoli Press TV 08 Nov 2020 -- The United Nations says the 'arbitrary detention' of people arriving in Tripoli from the east amounts to 'sabotage' efforts against the unity of Libyans, against the backdrop of a recently-signed ceasefire agreement.
- Suspected Al-Qaeda-Linked Militants Killed In Pakistan's Punjab Province RFE/RL Gandhara 07 Nov 2020 -- Two suspected Al-Qaeda-linked militants have been killed by Pakistan's counterterrorism police in an overnight operation in eastern Punjab Province, officials said.
- Iran and its peaceful approach toward Nagorno-Karabakh conflict IRNA 07 Nov 2020 -- The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict started more than a month ago and has claimed over one thousand casualties.
- Armenia reports 'fierce combat' with Azeri forces near key town in Karabakh Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- Armenia says "fierce combat" has taken place with Azerbaijani forces near a key stronghold in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Putin, Macron Discuss Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict As Armenia Claims Key Stronghold Shelled RFE/RL 07 Nov 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed the conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh with his French and Turkish counterparts as Armenia reported "fierce combat" overnight near a key city in the disputed region.
- India's top Cmdr. warns of larger conflict with China amid tense border situation Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- India's top military commander warns about a major conflict between his country and China despite another round of talks held between the two sides to ease the situation in the western Himalayas.
- Ethiopian Bombing in Tigray Prompts Sudan to Close Part of Border VOA 07 Nov 2020 -- Sudan has partially closed its border with Ethiopia, according to Suna, the Sudanese news agency.
- UN Rights Chief Urges Halt to Ethiopia Violence, Dialogue to Restore Peace VOA 07 Nov 2020 -- Ethiopia's stability is on the line as the recent outburst of fierce fighting in the country's Tigray and Oromia regions risks getting out of hand. U.N. rights chief Michelle Bachelet called Saturday for a de-escalation of violence and for grievances in these separate but equally destructive conflicts to be settled peacefully.
- Algeria Eyes Cross-Border Missions as Fear of Militant Spillover Grows VOA 07 Nov 2020 -- Algeria approved constitutional amendments on Sunday that experts call an ambitious move to answer public demands after months of protests and to safeguard its borders against violent extremism spillover from Libya and other troubled neighbors.
- NATO Secretary General congratulates US President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris NATO 07 Nov 2020 -- Press Release (2020) 111
Issued on 07 Nov. 2020
- Joe Biden elected 46th president of the United States Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- Joe Biden becomes president-elect of the United States after winning the pivotal state of Pennsylvania, according to projections by several news networks.
- What Could U.S. Foreign Policy Look Like Under Biden? RFE/RL 07 Nov 2020 -- As a candidate, Joe Biden said he would reverse many of the foreign-policy initiatives of the Trump administration, such as withdrawing the United States from international agreements, and work to repair the transatlantic relationship that he contends has been the key to stability in Europe over the past 75 years.
- Foreign Secretary statement on US Presidential Election UK FCDO 07 Nov 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab comments on result of the US Presidential Election.
- As US Election Nears End, China Seeks to Reduce Tensions VOA 07 Nov 2020 -- This week a top Chinese diplomat expressed hopes that whoever wins the U.S. presidential election, the two countries will work to reduce tensions over trade and other issues.
- HK radio 'to play Chinese national anthem every morning from mid-Nov' to enhance natl identity among residents Global Times 07 Nov 2020 -- Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK) plans to broadcast Chinese national anthem on its radio channels at 8:00 am every day from November 16, Hong Kong media Ming Pao said on Friday.
- Hong Kong receives full support of central gov't to integrate into national development: Carrie Lam People's Daily 07 Nov 2020 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam on Friday said the central government gives its full support for Hong Kong's integration into overall national development.
- Chinese rocket firm Galactic Energy successfully puts satellite into orbit, 1st private launch since COVID-19 Global Times 07 Nov 2020 -- Chinese private rocket firm Galactic Energy successfully launched a carrier rocket and put a satellite into orbit on Saturday from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center, the first orbital launch by a privately funded Chinese firm since the outbreak of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Former president calls for Tsai-Xi meeting, return to '1992 consensus' CNA 07 Nov 2020 -- On the fifth anniversary of his meeting with Chinese leader Xi Jinping (習近平), former Republic of China (Taiwan) President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) on Saturday called for a return to the "1992 consensus," and said he would support a meeting between Xi and President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) if it would put the sides on a path to cross-strait peace.
- Zarif: JCPOA not a bilateral deal just between Iran, US IRNA 07 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif said on Saturday that the US chose to draw out of Iran's nuclear deal on its own will and will seek certain concessions at the negotiation table if it decides to return to it but the important point is that the JCPOA was not a deal just between Iran and the US.
- Pres Rouhani advises new US administration to resume all commitments IRNA 07 Nov 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that the new US Administration needs to correct its false approach toward Iran in the past three years and abide by laws by honoring all its commitments.
- Araghchi: Iran's policies not to be affected by US elections IRNA 07 Nov 2020 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Abbas Araghchi said on Saturday that Iran's principled policies are based on campaign against global arrogance and resisting to illegal pressures, adding that they will not be affected by US elections.
- Next US administration should learn from Iranians' resistance to Washington's economic terrorism: President Rouhani ISNA 07 Nov 2020 -- Appreciating the Iranian people's unparalleled three-year resistance to the economic terrorism of the White House rulers, the President emphasized that he hopes that the future US administration learns from this three-year experience and obeys the law and regulations and returns to all its obligations, and that the dear people of Iran see the reward of their patience, resistance and endurance.
- Outcome of US election not to affect Iran's fundamental policies: Deputy FM ISNA 07 Nov 2020 -- Iran's deputy foreign minister says the result of the US presidential votes will have no bearing on the fundamental policies of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- US election result will not affect Iran's fundamental policies: Deputy FM Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- A senior Iranian diplomat says the result of the US presidential election will have no bearing on the fundamental policies of the Islamic Republic.
- President Rouhani: Iranian nation will continue resistance Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani has hoped that the new US administration will take a lesson from the Iranian nation's resistance against Washington's "economic terrorism".
- UN Agency Calls On Iran To Speed Probe Into Downing Of Ukraine-Bound Plane RFE/RL 07 Nov 2020 -- A UN agency has called on Iran to speed up its investigation into a Kyiv-bound passenger plane mistakenly shot down in January, killing 176 people.
- Lukashenka Says Belarus To Become 'Nuclear Power' At Power Plant Opening RFE/RL 07 Nov 2020 -- Alyaksandr Lukashenka has officially opened the first and only nuclear power plant in Belarus, boasting the Eastern European country "will become a nuclear power."
- Turkey's Erdogan replaces central bank governor as lira plummets Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has removed the central bank governor from his post and replaced him with former finance minister Naci Agbal after the national currency lira depreciated to a record against the US dollar.
- Boris Johnson: 'significant differences' remain over post-Brexit trade deal Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- With less than two months remaining before the expiry of the Brexit transition period, Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has said "significant differences" remain between the two parties in relation to forging a lasting trade deal.
- UK government rules out Scottish independence referendum for 'generation' Press TV 07 Nov 2020 -- The Scottish Secretary, Alister Jack, has thrown down the gauntlet at both the Scottish government and the Scottish independence movement writ large, by dismissing the possibility of an independence referendum "for a generation".
- Ukraine Secures $100 Million From World Bank For Conflict-Hit Donbas RFE/RL 07 Nov 2020 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says his country has secured a $100 million loan from the World Bank for reconstruction efforts in the eastern Donbas region, badly hit by the six-year military conflict with Russian-backed separatists.
- Egyptians Vote in Second Phase of Parliamentary Elections VOA 07 Nov 2020 -- Egypt began the second phase of elections for its lower chamber of parliament Saturday in 13 of the country's 27 provinces. A runoff election will be held in several weeks to determine the final winners.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|