21 June 2020 Military News
- Coalition Aircraft Destroys Islamic State Camps in Iraq VOA 21 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. military's Central Command says three known Islamic State hiding places have been destroyed in rural Iraq.
- Afghanistan: UN condemns attacks on healthcare amid COVID-19 pandemic UN News 21 Jun 2020 -- Fifteen attacks on healthcare in Afghanistan were recorded during the first two months of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new report published on Sunday by the UN Assistance Mission in the country, UNAMA.
- Taliban kidnap dozens of civilians in Afghanistan amid peace efforts Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Taliban militants have kidnapped about 60 civilians, including women and children, in central Afghanistan over the past week, amid efforts made to get peace talks started in the country.
- UN: Afghan Health Care Under Deliberate Attack From Warring Sides VOA 21 Jun 2020 -- The United Nations has accused Taliban insurgents and Afghan government forces of deliberate attacks on the country's health care workers and facilities during the coronavirus outbreak.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Roosevelt, USS Nimitz Carriers Conduct Joint Drills in Pacific in Show of Force to China Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- The US deployed three aircraft carrier strike groups, or over one quarter of its active duty carrier fleet, to the Pacific last week amid escalating tensions with Beijing over Taiwan, Hong Kong, coronavirus and China's entrenchment in the South China Sea.
- China releases report on US military presence in Asia-Pacific, warns of increased conflict risk Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- China is set to release its 2020 research report on the US military presence in the Asia-Pacific region amid the US' recent increased military activities near China, including repeated trespassing into China's territorial waters in the South China Sea by warships this year. The possibility of a conflict could substantially increase, which must be managed and prevented, the report says.
- China's top legislature adopts decision on joining Arms Trade Treaty PLA Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature Saturday voted to adopt a decision on joining the Arms Trade Treaty.
- China adopts revised armed police force law PLA Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature on Saturday voted to adopt a draft revision to the Law on the People's Armed Police Force.
- Japan's National Security Council Will Reportedly Rethink Defence Strategy Next Week Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- The Japanese National Security Council may hold a meeting next week at which it is expected to explore new avenues to provide national security after scrapping plans to install land-based missile systems Aegis Ashore, public broadcaster NHK reported.
- Army special forces conducting 15-day training in northern Taiwan CNA 21 Jun 2020 -- An Army special forces division is undergoing a 15-day training program that comprises a 350-kilometer march and is scheduled to conclude on Monday.
- Indigenous jet trainer one of most advanced: Taiwanese analyst CNA 21 Jun 2020 -- Taiwan's first indigenous advanced jet trainer (AJT), the Brave Eagle, is considered one of the most advanced fifth-generation trainer aircraft in the world, a Taiwanese defense analyst said Sunday, ahead of the AJT's inaugural flight the next day.
- UAE-backed separatists stage 'coup' in Yemen's Socotra: Former official Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Yemen's former Saudi-backed government says the militants funded by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have staged "a full-fledged coup" in the strategic island of Socotra.
- Yemen's Southern Transitional Council Claims Full Control Over Socotra Island in Indian Ocean Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- Yemen's Southern Transitional Council (STC) announced on Sunday that they had established complete control over the distant Socotra Island located off the Horn of Africa.
- Bashar Assad Marks 20-Year Anniversary as President, but Syrian War Shows No Signs of Dying Down Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- When Bashar al-Assad became president of Syria, he managed to implement a number of economic reforms that promised his country a brighter future. However, amid the 2011 Arab Spring, Islamic extremists put Syria's very existence on the line, and he's been fighting to preserve his nation ever since.
- Turkey Deploys More Troops to Northern Iraq for New Anti-Kurdish Offensive Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- Turkish Ministry of National Defence announced on Sunday sending additional special operations forces to the north of Iraq where Turkey's Operation Claw-Tiger is underway against Kurdish forces.
- Libya's GNA Says Sisi's Offer to Train, Equip Local Tribes Amounts to Declaration of War Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA), one of the country's two rival political administrations, released a statement on Sunday rejecting Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi's offer to provide Libyan tribes with military help and amounting it to a declaration of war.
- Chinese military plane enters Taiwan's ADIZ; seventh time this month CNA 21 Jun 2020 -- A Chinese military jet was spotted entering Taiwan's airspace on Sunday, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said later that day, marking the seventh time this month that Chinese aircraft have been found entering the nation's air defense identification zone (ADIZ).
- India knows 'it can't have a war with China' Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- After the border clash in the Galwan Valley, nationalism and hostility against China within India are rising sharply, while Chinese analysts and some reasonable voices inside India warned that New Delhi should cool down the nationalism at home.
- Three fighters killed by Indian forces in Kashmir days after deadly clashes Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- At least three pro-independence fighters have been killed in an encounter with government forces in Indian-controlled Kashmir, just two days after a deadly shootout in the same area of the restive disputed Himalayan valley.
- Three Militants Killed in Encounter with Security Forces in Kashmir's Capital City Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- Indian security forces had stepped up anti-militancy operations in Kashmir during the lockdown since 25 March. According to Kashmir police, 31 militants were killed in encounters during the month of June alone in operations in south Kashmir's twin districts of Shopian and Pulwama.
- Israeli warplanes fly low over Beirut despite Lebanon's complaint to UN Security Council Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Israeli fighter jets have once against violated Lebanon's airspace and flew at low altitudes over the capital Beirut, irrespective of a recent complaint by Lebanese authorities to the United Nations Security Council about the Tel Aviv regime's infringement on the Arab country's sovereignty.
- Germany, France criticize Israel over West Bank annexation plans Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Germany and France have called on Israel to halt its plans to annex large swathes of the occupied West Bank which Palestinians consider as part of their future independent state.
- Deadly bomb blasts rip through Somali towns Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Two bombing attacks have killed seven people in the southern and central parts of Somalia.
- Al-Shabab Attacks in Somalia Kill 7 VOA 21 Jun 2020 -- At least seven people were killed in two separate attacks by the al-Shabab militant group in Somalia in the last 24 hours.
- Bolton Claims Trump Probably Obstructed Justice by Trying to Intervene in Turkish Bank Probe Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- The former national security advisor, who expressed a willingness to testify in the Democrats' botched Ukrainegate impeachment trial earlier this year, is getting ready to release a new tell-all book filled with a host of juicy new allegations against the president. Trump has called Bolton a "whacko" and a "liar."
- 3 People Killed in Britain Stabbing Attack VOA 21 Jun 2020 -- Three people were killed, and three others were seriously injured in a stabbing incident in the British town of Reading on Saturday.
- Russia's Putin says may seek another term if constitutional changes approved Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he may run for a new term in 2024 if the people vote to approve the constitutional reforms that would allow him to do so.
- Putin Signals Possibility Of Seeking Reelection If Russians Back Constitutional Change RFE/RL 21 Jun 2020 -- President Vladimir Putin has said that he would consider standing for election again if Russian voters approve a controversial constitutional amendment in a vote scheduled for next month.
- Putin Not Ruling Out Running for President If Constitutional Amendments Passed Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Sunday that he did not rule out running for another term if the relevant amendments to the national constitution were passed.
- Chief executive appointing judges for national security cases based on Basic Law: HK senior counsel Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- A senior Hong Kong lawyer on Sunday told the Global Times that the newly unveiled draft of the national security law for Hong Kong makes him "reassured" and that it was "strange" that the Hong Kong Bar Association said judges appointed by the chief executive to deal with crimes against national security were "ruled by man" because the appointments are based on the Basic Law.
- China's top legislature likely to enact national security law for HK at next session by July 1 Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- Hours after China revealed the details of the draft of the national security law for Hong Kong, the country's top legislature set the date for the next session of the National People's Congress Standing Committee, during which the highly anticipated law is likely to be enacted to end the chaos and rampage throughout the city that has become "a base of subversive activities" instigated by the West over the years.
- China's top legislature reviews draft law on safeguarding national security in HKSAR People's Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature reviewed a draft law on safeguarding national security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China.
- Chinese mission slams European Parliament's resolution on Hong Kong People's Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mission to the European Union (EU) on Friday said it is gravely concerned about and firmly opposed to a European Parliament resolution which makes unwarranted criticism against the formulation of the national security legislation in Hong Kong by China's National People's Congress (NPC).
- Hong Kong no longer foreigners' bridgehead to harm national security: Leader Lam Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong's leader Carrie Lam has reiterated her full support for the enactment of China's proposed national security law, stressing that the semi-autonomous city will no longer be used as "a bridgehead" by foreign forces to endanger national security.
- Plan for general strike in Hong Kong falls through Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- A general strike in opposition to a new national security law in Hong Kong has failed to garner support in an unofficial referendum in the Chinese city.
- China's top legislature reviews draft law on safeguarding national security in HKSAR PLA Daily 21 Jun 2020 -- China's top legislature reviewed a draft law on safeguarding national security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People's Republic of China.
- DPRK ready to distribute leaflets over DMZ into S.Korea: media Global Times 21 Jun 2020 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) is ready to distribute large quantities of leaflets to South Korea in retaliation for the latter's hurting of its leadership and insulting of the Korean people, state media here said Saturday.
- Pyongyang Refuses to Reconsider Retaliatory Plan to Spread Information Leaflets – Reports Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- North Korean authorities will not reconsider a plan to spread leaflets as part of an information campaign against South Korea, according to the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). Seoul has called on Pyongyang to abandon the idea.
- 6th Iranian ship en route to Venezuela carrying food: Iran's ambassador to Caracas ISNA 21 Jun 2020 -- Iran's ambassador to Caracas, Hojjatollah Soltani announced that the sixth Iranian ship "Golsan" en route to Venezuela is carrying food.
- Iran parliament: IAEA resolution proof of structural discrimination within UN nuclear watchdog Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- The majority of lawmakers at the Iranian parliament have denounced an anti-Iran resolution recently passed by the International Atomic Energy Agency's Board of Governors, saying the document is another indication of "structural discrimination" within the UN atomic watchdog.
- Talks with US 'strictly forbidden': Iran's parliament speaker Press TV 21 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad-Baqer Qalibaf says negotiations with the US are "harmful and strictly forbidden," stressing that resistance is the only way to protect the country's rights and dignity.
- Trump Tells Iran Negotiating After US Elections Means Paying 'A Much Higher Price' Radio Farda 21 Jun 2020 -- President Donald Trump told the Islamic Republic during his rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma June 20 that if they wait to make a deal with the United States after he gets reelected, they will "pay a much higher price".
- Iran's Currency Hits A New Low Following Tough Resolution By UN Watchdog Radio Farda 21 Jun 2020 -- The devaluation of Iran's currency continued Sunday, June 20, with the exchange rate getting closer to 200,000 rials for one U.S. dollar. The price of gold also increased leaving the whole economic outlook in the country uncertain.
- Trusted IRGC General Appointed Commander Of Key Base In Iran's capital Radio Farda 21 Jun 2020 -- The former deputy of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Intelligence Organization has been appointed as the operational commander of its base in Tehran, tasked to defend the capital.
- A New Appointment At IRGC May Signal Concern Over Unrest In Iran Radio Farda 21 Jun 2020 -- IRGC Commander Major General Hossein Salami has appointed Brigadier General Hossein Nejat as his deputy commander in charge of Sarallah, the most important security command in Tehran.
- Iran set to have 18 home-grown satellites by yearend IRNA 21 Jun 2020 -- With an increase in Iran's space sector, the country is expected to have 18 domestically-made satellites by the end of the current Iranian calendar year (March 20, 2021), Iran's ITC Minister Mohammad-Javad Azari Jahromi said on Sunday.
- Polls Close In Serbia Election; Vucic's Ruling Party Expected To Hold Power RFE/RL 21 Jun 2020 -- Polls closed in Serbia amid a lackluster turnout for a parliamentary election that was expected to tighten the grip on power for President Aleksandar Vucic's ruling party.
- Right-Wing Member Of Serbian Parliament Leads Protest Ahead Of National Elections RFE/RL 21 Jun 2020 -- Several hundred people demonstrated in front of Serbia's parliament building in Belgrade on June 20 in an action led by the right-wing independent member of parliament Srdjan Nogo a day before national elections.
- Armenian Court Denies Request To Arrest Opposition Leader RFE/RL 21 Jun 2020 -- An Armenian court has rejected a petition by investigators to arrest the leader of the country's main opposition party, who faces charges of making election bribes and vote buying.
- UNHCR Considers Over 3.5 Million Venezuelan Migrants Refugees VOA 21 Jun 2020 -- The office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees says the more than 3.5 million Venezuelans who have left the country in the past five years are officially considered refugees.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|