19 April 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- 40 days, nights: AMC commander's battle staff directs round-the-clock support in COVID-19 fight US Air Force 19 Apr 2020 -- Forty days after Air Mobility Command commander Gen. Maryanne Miller activated the commander's battle staff, a small but dedicated group of experts continue to work tirelessly around-the-clock at Scott Air Force Base, overseeing AMC's contribution to the Defense Department's operations in the COVID-19 pandemic fight and arming Airmen with clear guidance on how to execute operations safely and effectively.
- China's FTC-2000G multirole combat aircraft bags first export contract Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- With its first export contract for delivery of the FTC-2000G multirole combat aircraft to an undisclosed Southeast Asian country, Guizhou Aviation Industry Corp can expect a surge in interested customers, aviation experts predicted on Sunday.
- Iran unveils two air defense systems IRNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Commander of the Iranian Army Major General Abdorrahim Mousavi on Sunday unveiled two air defense systems - Moragheb (the Guardian) and Khalij-e Fars (the Persian Gulf).
- Iran unveils two new radar systems ISNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Iran has unveiled two new homegrown strategic radar systems on Sunday with Army Commander Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi in attendance.
- Iran's Army unveils new advanced, long-range strategic radars Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Iran's Army has unveiled two new homegrown strategic radar systems in another move to further enhance its air defense capability.
- 'A Hollywood tale', IRGC rejects US account of Persian Gulf encounter IRNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Islamic Revolution Guard Corps' Navy rejected US account of its fast boats harassing US aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf as "a fake Hollywood tale" in a statement on Sunday, stressing that any miscalculation by the US would be responded strongly.
- Iran to respond decisively to any computational error: IRGC ISNA 19 Apr 2020 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy warned that Iran will give a decisive response to any US provocation or computational error.
- Video: IRGC Navy warns off US warships in Persian Gulf Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- A recent video released by Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps shows the IRGC Navy warning off a flotilla of US warships in the Persian Gulf as they try to approach the Iranian territorial waters.
- Illegal presence of US terrorists source of insecurity in West Asia: IRGC Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Dozens of jailed suspected Boko Haram militants have been found dead in a prison cell in Chad's capital.
- Iran Accuses U.S. Of Giving 'False' Account Of Gulf Encounter RFE/RL 19 Apr 2020 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has accused the United States of giving a false account of a recent encounter between the two states' navies in the Persian Gulf, after Washington blamed Iranian vessels for harassing its ships.
- IRGC Warns Iran Will Respond 'Decisively' to Any US Provocation - Reports Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- Earlier this week, the US said that 11 vessels from the IRGC Navy had been spotted at a dangerously close distance to US ships in the Gulf.
- Trial by Fire and Sand: Russian Armata Battle Tank Gets Tested in Syria Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- As Russia's minister of trade and industry explained, the T-14 Armata main battle tank has no analogues in the world, and is constantly undergoing a cycle of additional tests and upgrades.
- Taiwan confirms 22 new COVID-19 cases, 21 of them from Navy ship (update) CNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan confirmed 22 new COVID-19 cases Sunday, 21 of which involved people on a military ship that sailed to Taiwan's Pacific ally Palau in March, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Navy apologizes for COVID-19 infections on ship, defends mission CNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan's Navy on Sunday apologized for a cluster infection of the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on a goodwill mission in the Pacific, but it defended the mission and the preparations made.
- Names of islands,reefs in South China Sea released Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Chinese authorities released on Sunday standard names for 25 islands and reefs as well as 55 undersea geographic entities in the South China Sea in a move that Chinese experts praised for reaffirming China's sovereignty in the region.
- Hainan's Sansha to set up two municipal districts People's Daily 19 Apr 2020 -- Australia's has achieved a "sustained and genuine flattening" of the COVID-19 curve, Health Minister Greg Hunt said.
- Three Yemeni civilians killed in Saudi-led shelling despite 'ceasefire' Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- At least three civilians have been killed and another sustained injuries when militiamen loyal to the country's former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, shelled a residential neighborhood in Yemen's southern province of Ta'izz despite a two-week ceasefire declared by the Saudi-led coalition.
- UAE-backed separatists warn of 'imminent war' with Saudi mercenaries in Yemen Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- UAE-backed separatists in southern Yemen have warned of an "imminent war" with Saudi-sponsored militants as divisions between the two sides continue to deepen.
- US sends huge convoy of logistics supplies for Syria militants Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- US forces have reportedly dispatched a convoy carrying logistics supplies from Iraq to Syria's Kurdish-populated city of Qamishli in the northeastern province of Hasakah.
- 3 Indian soldiers killed in Kashmir militant attack: India Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Three Indian soldiers have reportedly been killed in a militant attack in the Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- Libya's UN-recognized GNA forces down UAE combat drone Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) says its forces have managed to down a United Arab Emirates (UAE) combat drone in the skies of the northern parts of the country.
- Libyan army advances near key rebel stronghold Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Libyan government forces have advanced near a key stronghold of rebel militia under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar on the outskirts of the capital, Tripoli.
- Dozens of Boko Haram militants found dead in Chad prison Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Dozens of jailed suspected Boko Haram militants have been found dead in a prison cell in Chad's capital.
- South Sudan Frees Some Prisoners VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- With the threat of the coronavirus infecting thousands of prisoners held in extremely overcrowded South Sudanese facilities, Human Rights Watch (HRW) is urging the country's prison authorities to release pre-trial detainees and prisoners who have served most of their terms.
- Scores of Civilians Killed in Worsening Inter-Ethnic Violence in DR Congo VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- The U.N. Human Rights Office reports scores of civilians are being killed, wounded and abducted in worsening Inter-ethnic violence between the Hema and Lendu in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo's Ituri Province.
- 'It's Easy To Ruin Someone's Life': Kaliningrad Case Revives Discussion Of Russia's Fake Drug Prosecutions RFE/RL 19 Apr 2020 -- Prosecutors in this western Russian city have opened a criminal investigation into an unspecified number of police officers on suspicion of fabricating a drug-possession case in order to inflate their job performance.
- FM office in HKSAR slams US politicians' exculpation of riot leaders Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- The Office of the Commissioner of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region on Sunday solemnly refuted Western politicians' exculpation of Hong Kong riot leaders, claiming their rhetoric revealed their complicity with rioters who have created chaos in the city.
- Supporting WHO means safeguarding multilateralism: Chinese FM Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Saturday that at the critical moment when the world is combating the COVID-19 pandemic, supporting the World Health Organization (WHO) and its director-general is to safeguard the philosophy and principle of multilateralism.
- UK FCO in latest interference in Hong Kong's internal affairs Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- In the midst of a global pandemic, with the UK suffering more than most countries from the coronavirus outbreak, the British government has seen fit to renew its interference in China's internal affairs.
- Hong Kong police arrest 15 over last year's violent rallies Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong have arrested more than a dozen high-profile activists and campaigners as part of a sweeping operation aimed at bringing to justice organizers of violent anti-government rallies in the Chinese territory last year.
- Power vacuum left by U.S. in region could tempt China: analyst CNA 19 Apr 2020 -- China might take advantage of the power vacuum in the region following the halt of overseas movements by the United States military, but a military offensive against Taiwan is unlikely, according to a Taiwanese defense analyst.
- DPP 'behind Taiwan ghostwriters' Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Since early April, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus suffered cyber violence on social media networks and his Twitter account is now still filled with sarcastic and abusive comments with a considerable number originating in Taiwan.
- Room Chief of News Service for Overseas Distribution of Department of Press and Information of DPRK Foreign Ministry Issues Statement KCNA 19 Apr 2020 -- The room chief of the News Service for Overseas Distribution of the Department of Press and Information of the DPRK Foreign Ministry issued the following statement on April 19:
- Pyongyang says no letter recently sent by North's leader Kim Jong-un to Trump Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- North Korea has denied that its leader, Kim Jong-un, has recently sent a letter to US President Donald Trump.
- N Korea's Foreign Ministry Denies Pyongyang Sent Letter to Trump Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump said at the Saturday White House coronavirus task force briefing that his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was "fine," adding that the United States would be at war with North Korea if he hadn't won the US presidential election.
- North Korea Denies Sending 'Nice Note' to Trump VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- Pyongyang has refuted a claim by Washington that Kim Jong Un sent a "nice note" to his American counterpart Donald Trump.
- Pompeo Calls On The UN to Extend Iran Arms Embargo Radio Farda 19 Apr 2020 -- Iran's Defense Minister on April 17 announced that a "massive number" of multirole, reconnaissance and combat UAVs, as well as Karrarr and Ababil-3 drones produced by the Aircraft Manufacturing Industrial Company (HESA), has been delivered to the Army's Air Force and Air Defense.
- Elections Continue in Mali Despite Virus, Violence Fears VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- Parliamentary elections went on as planned in Mali Sunday, despite threats of Jihadist violence and fears of spreading the novel coronavirus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|