19 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 90 WHO 19 Apr 2020
- COVID-19: 'Phased process' for lifting restrictions is key, WHO chief urges G20 UN News 19 Apr 2020 -- The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) told a virtual meeting of the G20 leading global economies on Sunday that although it was encouraging for some countries to be planning to ease lockdowns against COVID-19, "it is critical that these measures are a phased process".
- WHO: No Evidence Survivors of COVID-19 Are Immune from the Disease VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- Senior World Health Organization officials say there is no evidence that people who have survived a bout of coronavirus become immune from the deadly disease and cannot pass the infection on to others.
- COVID Cases Around the World Surge to 2.3 Million VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- Coronavirus cases have surged past 2.3 million around with world, with the U.S. seeing steady increases but some other countries reporting declining numbers.
- COVID-19 has now killed over 160,000 globally, 2.3 million infected Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- The new coronavirus outbreak has now claimed the lives of 160,706 people across the world, and more than 2,328,600 others are infected, according to the latest data collected by Johns Hopkins University (JHU).
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Statewide Antibody Testing Survey Will Begin Tomorrow New York State 19 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 19 Apr 2020
- Pence, Pelosi Spar on Coronavirus Testing VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi sparred Sunday on the shortfall in testing people for coronavirus in the United States, but said they were close to a deal on more funding for small businesses shut by the pandemic to pay their workers and eventually reopen.
- US Reportedly Sent Millions in Masks, PPE To China VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- The U.S. government encouraged American companies to send masks and personal protection equipment, or PPE, worth millions of dollars to China earlier this year, according to a Washington Post report Saturday.
- Trump says some US states to reopen in coming days Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- President Donald Trump says that some US states will begin lifting coronavirus restrictions in coming days while still observing the virus-related precautions.
- Trump Questions Coronavirus Numbers Announced By China, Iran Radio Farda 19 Apr 2020 -- President Donald Trump questioned the coronavirus pandemic numbers announced by China and Iran in his daily press briefing on April 18, asking "Does anyone believe" these numbers?
- New York State Coronavirus Death Toll Rises by 507 in 24 Hours - Governor Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- Earlier in the week, Cuomo ordered all state residents to wear face-coverings in public to prevent new infections. He also extended the statewide economic shutdown until May 15.
- Coronavirus Testing Delayed Due to Contamination in CDC Labs - Reports Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- The problems with the tests were allegedly found in January at 24 of the 26 public health labs that had received test kits from the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), media reported, citing unnamed sources.
- Trump warns China of 'consequences' over coronavirus outbreak Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- US president Donald Trump has warned China that it should face consequences if it was "knowingly responsible" for the coronavirus pandemic.
- Trump defends COVID-19 response as death toll mounts Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- President Donald Trump has offered a vigorous defense of his administration's response to the novel coronavirus, lambasting the news media for their negative coverage of the White House's guidance on how to reopen the country.
- China lab rejects US conspiracy theory about origin of coronavirus Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- The director of a high-security laboratory based in the Chinese city of Wuhan has denied US allegations that the new coronavirus originated in the facility or an affiliated lab.
- Chief of Wuhan's P4 Lab D.ebunks US Claims About Coronavirus's 'Artificial' Origins Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- This week, sources told Fox News that the Trump administration had begun a full-scale investigation into whether COVID-19 is a man-made virus that escaped from a lab in Wuhan, China. The news comes in the wake of a coordinated US media campaign to accuse Chinese authorities of kicking off the coronavirus pandemic and then trying to "cover it up".
- China Dismisses Claims Coronavirus Originated in Lab VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- China is dismissing the possibility that the coronavirus pandemic originated in biosecurity laboratory and not from animal-to-human transmission in Wuhan as commonly believed.
- Chinese mainland reports 9 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported nine new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,575, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- China targets chaotic market of mask fabric Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Chinese regulators are ratcheting up a crackdown on price gouging and other illegal activities in the chaotic market for melt-blown fabric, a key material in medical masks, warning profiteers to expect heavy punishment if they continue to exploit the global pandemic.
- Beijing designates 8 groups to test for COVID-19, signals shift to targeted control measures Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Beijing on Sunday said that eight groups of people would be tested for COVID-19 following the lifting of the requirement for companies to keep the number of workers at less than half of normal levels.
- One infecting 50 in Harbin raises concerns, but lockdown 'unnecessary' Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Contact tracing of a Chinese national with COVID-19 who returned from the US to Harbin, capital of Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, shows at least 50 people have contracted the virus after contact with the patient.
- Mainland reports smallest daily increase in infections in 32 days Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Chinese mainland recorded 16 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Saturday, including nine imported cases and seven domestic cases, marking the smallest daily increase in the past 32 days. The newly confirmed imported cases from overseas dropped below 10 for the first time within a month.
- Woman who instigated large gathering in Hubei arrested for endangering epidemic control Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- A woman who instigated a large gathering in March to protest against overpriced groceries in a community in Central China's Hubei Province has been arrested for endangering COVID-19 epidemic control during lockdowns, authorities reported late Saturday.
- Wuhan authority reacted quickly, says doctor who first reported COVID-19 cases Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Zhang Jixian, the first doctor to report COVID-19 cases to Wuhan authorities on December 27, said she had not expected the disease to be so infectious or serious, while noting that local authorities reacted promptly after receiving her report.
- Latest estimate suggests thousands have died from coronavirus in UK care homes Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- There is renewed concern about the situation in the UK's extensive care home network following multiple reports of a spike in deaths linked to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Britain Reports 596 New Deaths of COVID-19 SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- The Health Department of Britain reported today 596 new deaths of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total number of deaths to 16,060 in the United Kingdom's hospitals.
- Michael Gove Rebuffs Claim That Government Considering Lifting Lockdown as UK Death Toll Surges Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- A lockdown has been imposed on the United Kingdom since March as the government attempts to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic and alleviate the pressure on the National Health Service (NHS).
- UK Says Hospital Coronavirus Deaths Up to 16,060 Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- As of 19 April, the total number of COVID-19 cases in the UK stands at 114,221, with 15,464 deaths, according to the World Health Organisation.
- Boris Johnson's Government Accused of "Sleepwalking" UK into COVID-19 Crisis Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- Boris Johnson's sluggish response to the COVID-19 outbreak has been under harsh scrutiny in recent weeks as the UK's death toll climbs to 15,000, ranking it number five in terms of global coronavirus body count.
- Spain's death toll tops 20,000, France's surpasses 19,000 People's Daily 19 Apr 2020 -- A further 482 people had died of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours in Italy, raising the country's death toll to 23,227, official data showed on Saturday.
- Spain's coronavirus death toll slows SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Spain's death toll from the new coronavirus outbreak rose by 410 on Sunday, down from 565 on Saturday, the Health Ministry said, the lowest daily increase in about a month in one of the world's hardest hit countries. The total number of deaths reached 20,453, according to Reuters.
- Spain's COVID-19 Cases Rise to 195,944 - Health Ministry Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- According to health officials, the country's coronavirus death toll is up to 20,453 on Sunday from 20,043 the previous day.
- Europe's COVID-19 death toll surpasses 100,000 Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- The number of fatalities from the COVID-19 pandemic has topped 100,000 in Europe, the hardest-hit continent in the world.
- 'All The Hospitals Are Full': Russia's Health-Care System Scrambles As COVID-19 Cases Rise RFE/RL 19 Apr 2020 -- On April 13, ambulance driver Dmitry Belyakov rushed to Zheleznodorozhny, a city just outside Moscow, to pick up a woman in her early 40s with a suspected coronavirus infection.
- Russia Reports 6060 New Coronavirus Cases, 48 Deaths SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Russia reported today 6060 new Coronavirus cases, bringing the total number in the country to 42,853.
- Russian Health Minister Says Necessary to Support WHO's Efforts to Combat COVID-19 Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- The international community must continue to support the World Health Organisation's (WHO) efforts to combat the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak and commit to supporting attempts to improve pandemic response mechanisms, Russian Health Minister Mikhail Murashko said during a video conference of G20 health ministers on Sunday.
- Putin Says Coronavirus Situation in Russia is Fully Under Control Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has praised the country's efforts at combating the coronavirus pandemic saying the nation has managed to handle the threat proactively.
- Coronavirus crisis under full control in Russia: Putin Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says the coronavirus pandemic is under full control in his country, adding that Moscow has all the necessary resources to protect people's health and support the economy under these circumstances.
- Life in the era of COVID-19 India PIB 19 Apr 2020 -- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has shared few thoughts on Linkedin, which would interest youngsters and professionals.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 19 Apr 2020
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan visits Rajiv Gandhi Super Specialty Hospital to review status of COVID-19 management India PIB 19 Apr 2020 -- The Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan today visited Rajiv Gandhi Super Specialty Hospital to review status of COVID-19 management. Keeping in view the emerging requirements for hospital preparedness, Rajiv Gandhi Super Specialty Hospital is functioning as dedicated 450-bedded COVID-19 hospital consisting of adequate isolation wards and beds.
- Government launches online data pool of critical human resource for combating and containing Covid-19 India PIB 19 Apr 2020 -- Dashboard contains State wise and District wise availability of the large pool of human resources for various activities to fight COVID
- G20 Health Ministers Meeting at Saudi Arabia deliberates on steps to control COVID-19 India PIB 19 Apr 2020 -- Forge cooperation and mutually respectful and useful collaborations to deal with Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Dr. Harsh Vardhan
- India's Kerala State Shows Way in Coronavirus Fight VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- Before many countries had fully grasped the devastation that COVID-19 would bring, health authorities in India's southern state of Kerala were closely monitoring a 20-year-old student who returned from Wuhan, China on January 25.
- Half Of Iranians Polled Lost Income As A Result Of Coronavirus Pandemic Radio Farda 19 Apr 2020 -- Half of the respondents to a poll by the Iranian Students Polling Agency (ISPA) have lost some of their income as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Iran expands screening of population for coronavirus Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says Iran has begun taking new measures to screen people for COVID-19 symptoms in a bid to rein in the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- Iran Extends Prisoner Furloughs Amid Coronavirus Threat RFE/RL 19 Apr 2020 -- Iran's president said the country has extended furloughs for prisoners for another month as officials struggle to curtail the spread of the coronavirus.
- Tehran City Official Says Pandemic Toll Much Higher As Shrines Set To Reopen Radio Farda 19 Apr 2020 -- Tehran City Council Chairman Mohsen Hashemi says the number of those infected with the new coronavirus in Iran is "much higher" than the official figures released by the government.
- Reformist Group In Iran Says Pandemic Was Covered Up Because Of Elections Radio Farda 19 Apr 2020 -- A pro-reform party in Iran has described the outbreak of the novel coronavirus in the country as a "super crisis", which got worse because information was withheld prior to February's parliamentary elections.
- Iran has no shortage of gowns & protective items for medical treatment of COVID-19 IRNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Iran has no longer shortage of gowns and protective items at hospitals highly needed by health workers for medical treatment of coronavirus patients, according to Head of Iran's Food and Drug Administration Mohammdreza Shanehsaz.
- Some 57,023 COVID-19 patients recovered IRNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Head of Public Relations and Information Center of the Ministry of Health announced on Sunday that some 57,023 COVID-19 patients have recovered so far from a total of 82,211 people infected with the pandemic from whom 5,118 people have died due to the virus.
- President Rouhani: New screening system kicks off in Iran IRNA 19 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani said in the meeting of National Task Force Committee for Fighting Coronavirus that a new testing system to detect coronavirus cases has been initiated in Iran to make the figures of cases more precise.
- New methods of screening kick off in provinces: President Rouhani ISNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Iran's President stated that alongside the relentless efforts of the country's medical staff and health sector, people and businesses have helped a lot for fighting coronavirus by observing health protocols, adding, "Universities and schools will continue education through the Internet".
- S.Korea reports 8 more COVID-19 cases, 10,661 in total People's Daily 19 Apr 2020 -- South Korea reported eight more cases of the COVID-19 compared to 24 hours ago as of midnight Sunday local time, raising the total number of infections to 10,661.
- Taiwan confirms 22 new COVID-19 cases, 21 of them from Navy ship (update) CNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan confirmed 22 new COVID-19 cases Sunday, 21 of which involved people on a military ship that sailed to Taiwan's Pacific ally Palau in March, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Social distancing the new norm with vaccine far away: Taiwan VP CNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Vice President Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁), an epidemiologist by trade, feels social distancing will became a way of life amid the COVID-19 outbreak for at least another 18 months, the time it will take to develop a vaccine.
- Navy apologizes for COVID-19 infections on ship, defends mission CNA 19 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan's Navy on Sunday apologized for a cluster infection of the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on a goodwill mission in the Pacific, but it defended the mission and the preparations made.
- Flights arranged to bring back 460 Taiwanese from Hubei CNA 19 Apr 2020 -- A new round of flights have been arranged for the coming days to bring back 460 Taiwanese nationals and family members who have been stuck in Hubei province in China because of the new coronavirus outbreak since late January.
- DPP 'behind Taiwan ghostwriters' Global Times 19 Apr 2020 -- Since early April, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus suffered cyber violence on social media networks and his Twitter account is now still filled with sarcastic and abusive comments with a considerable number originating in Taiwan.
- Tougher State Emergency Anti-Epidemic Steps Taken KCNA 19 Apr 2020 -- The anti-epidemic campaign involving the whole Party, the state and the society has been ratcheted up to implement the joint resolution adopted at a meeting of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Australian Health Minister praises "sustained flattening" of COVID-19 curve People's Daily 19 Apr 2020 -- Australia's has achieved a "sustained and genuine flattening" of the COVID-19 curve, Health Minister Greg Hunt said.
- Australia Demands 'Independent' Investigation Into Coronavirus Origins, Says WHO Should Stay Out Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- This week, US President Donald Trump announced that his country would stop providing financial support to the World Health Organisation due to its mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic, while also criticising China for an apparent lack of transparency in relation to the crisis that originated in Wuhan.
- Australia Demands Transparency from China in Proposed Global COVID-19 Review VOA 19 Apr 2020 -- Australia is demanding transparency from China in a proposed international investigation into the origins and spread of COVID-19.
- Palestine reports seven new coronavirus cases, first death in East Jerusalem al-Quds Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- Palestinian authorities have confirmed the death of an elderly woman from the novel coronavirus in occupied Jerusalem al-Quds, and reported seven new cases, raising the total number of infected people to 431.
- Palestine announces 6 new COVID-19 cases SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Six new coronavirus, COVID-19, cases were confirmed in the West Bank today raising total in Palestine to 320, Palestine News Agency, WAFA, quoted the Minister of Health Mai Alkaila as saying on Sunday.
- Africa Reports 20270 Coronavirus Cases SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- As many as 2000 new cases of the Coronavirus have been reported in Africa, bringing the total number of those who contracted the disease to 20270, it was reported here today.
- 'It's War Out Here': Riots Sweep Africa as COVID-19 Fallout Triggers Food Shortages Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- As Africa is yet to reach the peak of its confirmed cases of coronavirus, a UNECA-released report claims the continent might become a breeding ground for the pandemic, with COVID-19 expected to soar and the food security of some 25 million Africans threatened by a desert locust crisis
- Own Goal? Turkmenistan Restarts Soccer Season, Despite Coronavirus Pandemic RFE/RL 19 Apr 2020 -- As the coronavirus forces lockdowns across the world, several hundred soccer fans gathered in a stadium in Turkmenistan's capital, Ashgabat, to attend a domestic league match.
- Iraq Reports 26 New Confirmed Coronavirus Cases SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Iraq reported 26 new confirmed Coronavirus cases during the past 24 hours.
- Jordan Reports 4 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- The Jordanian Health Ministry announced today that four new cases of the novel Coronavirus were recorded, bringing the total number of the cases to 417.
- Mali Reports 26 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- The health authorities of Mali reported 26 new cases of the new Coronavirus.
- Algeria Reports 95 New Cases of Coronavirus and 8 Deaths SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Algeria reported today 95 new infections from the new Coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing to 2,629 the total number of those who contracted the disease in 47 governorates of the country.
- COVID-19: Russia Reports Record Increase In Infections; Putin Says 'Situation Under Full Control' RFE/RL 19 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 163,000 with more than 2.3 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- Orthodox Christians Mark Easter Holiday Amid Coronavirus Restrictions RFE/RL 19 Apr 2020 -- Orthodox Christians observed the Easter holiday amid extraordinary coronavirus-related restrictions on services that forced many parishioners to watch services on TV or online.
- Afghanistan Reports 60 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Afghanistan reported today 60 new Coronavirus cases, bringing the total number in the country to 993.
- Malaysia reports 84 new coronavirus cases; one new death SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Malaysian health officials reported 84 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, taking the country's total to 5,389, according to Reuters.
- Swiss coronavirus death toll rises to 1,135, confirmed infections hit 27,740 SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- The Swiss death toll from the novel coronavirus has reached 1,135 people, the country's public health agency said on Sunday, rising from 1,111 on Saturday.
- Indonesia confirms 327 new coronavirus cases, total 6,575 SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Indonesia reported 327 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, taking the total number of infections to 6,575, Reuters reported.
- Philippines records 12 new coronavirus deaths, 172 more cases SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- The Philippines' health ministry on Sunday reported 12 new coronavirus deaths and 172 new infections. The Southeast Asian country now has a total of 6,259 confirmed coronavirus cases and 409 deaths, it said in a bulletin.
- Oman Reports 86 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 19 Apr 2020 -- Oman reported 86 new cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) today.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|