07 April 2019 Military News
- US-Led Afghan Peace Effort Gains Momentum VOA 07 Apr 2019 -- Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani has established a new leadership council comprising government officials, opposition politicians and civil society representatives that will manage national peace efforts and put together an "effective" team of negotiators for possible talks with the Taliban insurgency.
- Germany Grounds Military Flights to Afghanistan – Reports Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- Germany has grounded military flights to a training camp in Afghanistan until the end of April after Azerbaijan closed airspace to NATO planes, Spiegel said Sunday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Berlin's Military Budget Endangers NATO - German MP Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- Earlier in April, US President Donald Trump rebuked Germany for "not paying their fair share" to NATO as Berlin now plans to spend 1.25 per cent of its gross domestic product on the alliance's needs by 2024, which is lower than the two per cent guideline.
- Iran, Iraq to cooperate in air defense area ISNA 07 Apr 2019 -- "We may feel some air threats along western borders which was discussed in a meeting with Iraq's army chief of staff and we planned to have bilateral cooperation in air defence area to reach a better coordination," Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Bagheri said.
- Iran, Iraq 'agree on aerial defense cooperation' Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Iran's top military commander says the country and its neighbor Iraq have agreed to cooperate in the area of air defense to fend off the challenges facing their respective air spaces.
- Iran, Iraq to Boost Air Defence Ties as Khamenei Urges Swift US Troop Exit Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- The Iraqi commander also pledged that Baghdad would take stricter control of the US' military presence on Iraqi soil. This comes a day after Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei called on Baghdad to ensure that US troops leave Iraq "as soon as possible".
- India Looks to Roll Out More Space Weaponry After Satellite-Killer Test Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- The successful test of India's brand new anti-satellite weapon last month has drawn criticism from NASA and Pakistan, but New Delhi does not plan to stop yet. The capabilities under development include directed-energy and laser weapons - arms that have been popularised by video games but have not been seen in real life yet.
- Russia, China to ink contract on jointly developing heavy lift helicopter Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Russia and China will soon sign a "contract of the century" on the joint development of a new-generation advanced heavy transport helicopter.
- US warship carrying F-35s crosses South China Sea to join drills in Philippines Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- A US navy warship carrying a fleet of F-35 stealth fighter jets has crossed South China Sea to join upcoming joint drills with Filipino naval forces, a move that could add up to ongoing tensions between Washington and Beijing over the US military presence in the region.
- Trump's recognition of Golan annexation violates UN Charter: Russia's Lavrov Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has condemned US President Donald Trump's recognition of the Israeli regime's "sovereignty" over the occupied Golan Heights, stressing the need for a political solution to the conflict in Syria in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 2254.
- Terrorist attack kills 5, including medics, in Syria's Hama Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- At least five people have been killed and more than a dozen others wounded in a terrorist rocket attack on a hospital in Syria's western-central province of Hama, state media report.
- Militants Attack 13 Towns in Syrian Idlib De-escalation Zone Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- Militants attacked 13 towns in the northwestern Idlib de-escalation zone in Syria throughout the day, the Russian Defense Ministry's centre for Syrian reconciliation said Sunday.
- UN Appeals for Humanitarian Truce in Libya VOA 07 Apr 2019 -- The United Nations has issued an "urgent appeal" for a two hour truce in the suburbs of Tripoli to evacuate civilians and those wounded, as forces loyal to military commander Gen. Khalifa Haftar continue a push aimed at taking the capital.
- Military options complicating Libya's situation: Amir-Abdollahian ISNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Iranian Parliament's General Director for International Affairs, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said, the resolution for Libya should be political and military options complicate the situation in the Arab country.
- UN calls for 'urgent' Libya truce as clashes escalate Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- The United Nations (UN) has called for an "urgent" ceasefire near Libya's capital, Tripoli, as forces loyal to a Libyan strongman advance on the capital to seize the city and bring down the UN-backed government there.
- US withdraws troops from Libya amid 'increased unrest' Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- The US military has announced a temporary withdrawal of its forces from Libya amid an upsurge of fighting in the North African country.
- Libya's Western-backed PM accuses Haftar of betrayal over Tripoli offensive Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Libya's Western-backed Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj has accused his rival General Khalifa Haftar of betraying him by initiating a military push against the capital, that risks plunging the nation into civil war.
- At Least 20 Killed Amid Libyan Conflict Escalation Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- A spokesman for the army loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord based in Tripoli announced on Sunday a counteroffensive against the advancing troops of Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar.
- Libyan GNA Chief Sarraj Accuses Haftar of Violating Political Agreements Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- Prime Minister of the Tripoli-based UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) Fayez Sarraj accused the Libyan National Army (LNA) commander, Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, of violating political agreements concluded under the auspices of the United Nations.
- Netanyahu Will Annex Some Settlements In West Bank If He Wins Election VOA 07 Apr 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he will annex some Israeli settlements in the West Bank if he wins Tuesday's Israeli election. The move would mark a sharp departure from current Israeli policy.
- Netanyahu Vows To Annex Jewish Settlements In Occupied West Bank If Reelected RFE/RL 07 Apr 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he will annex Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank if he wins another term in the April 9 national election.
- Palestine demands international criminal investigation into Israeli settlements Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Palestine has demanded an immediate international criminal investigation into the Tel Aviv regime's policy of settlement expansion and expropriation of Palestinian territories.
- Islamabad 'has intel about India plan to attack Pakistan' Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi says Islamabad has "reliable intelligence" that India has planned a likely attack against Pakistan in the third week of April.
- Pakistani FM Claims India Preparing Military Attack RFE/RL 07 Apr 2019 -- Pakistani Foreign Minister Mahmood Qureshi said he has "reliable intelligence" that India will attack his country later this month and has informed the UN about the matter.
- India Dismisses Islamabad's 'Reliable Intel' on Upcoming IAF Attack Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- This comes a day after Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan slammed India's governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for purportedly trying to use false claims of Pakistan using an F-16 in the February dogfight between the two countries to promote "war hysteria".
- Pakistan Says India Planning Another Military Attack VOA 07 Apr 2019 -- Pakistan warned Sunday that rival India is planning to launch a fresh military assault against the country, calling for the international community's urgent diplomatic intervention to deter New Delhi from endangering regional peace and stability.
- 25 years on from genocide against the Tutsi, UN Chief warns of 'dangerous trends of rising xenophobia, racism and intolerance' UN News 07 Apr 2019 -- In a message to commemorate the 25-year anniversary of the genocide against the Tutsi, during which Hutu and others who opposed the genocide were also killed, UN chief António Guterres has warned of dangerous trends of rising xenophobia, racism and intolerance in many parts of the world.
- Rwanda's President Leads Ceremonies Marking Genocide Anniversary VOA 07 Apr 2019 -- Rwanda's President Paul Kagame has led commemorations marking the 25 anniversary of the genocide that killed hundreds of thousands of people with a stern warning to those with plans to destabilize the country.
- Trump, White House Aides Rebuff Accounts of Damaging Mueller Report VOA 07 Apr 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and White House officials on Sunday rebuffed reports that release of special counsel Robert Mueller's full report on the 2016 Trump campaign's contacts with Russia would prove more damaging than the initial conclusion that neither Trump nor his aides conspired with Moscow to help him win.
- Novichok Survivor Gets 'Propaganda' In Meeting With Russian Ambassador To U.K. RFE/RL 07 Apr 2019 -- A survivor of a Novichok poisoning in England last year has met with the Russian ambassador to Britain to ask questions about Russia's involvement in the string of poisonings that killed one and left four others seriously ill.
- IRGC warns about consequences of US decision IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- The Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) on Sunday warned Washington about the consequences of the US decision to label this Iranian force a terrorist group.
- Iran prepares bill to counter US possible act against IRGC: MP IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- A senior lawmaker said on Sunday that Iran's Majlis (Parliament) has prepared a double-urgency bill which will be approved in case the US takes possible measures against the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC).
- Iran firm on defense in face of US threats: Minister IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Iranian defense minister said that the US, by denying humanitarian aids to Iranian people, has one again proved its hostility toward the nation and made the country more determined in upgrading its self-defense capabilities, .
- Iran prepares double-urgency bill to designate US armed forces as terrorists ISNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Chairman of National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iranian Parliament announced that a double-urgency bill has been prepared to put US' military on the terror blacklist alongside ISIS.
- IRGC warns reciprocal action against US forces if labeled 'terrorist' Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- The chief commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) warns that the elite force will put reciprocal action against the US forces on its agenda if Washington labels it as a "terrorist organization."
- Iranian Deputies Warn U.S. Of Retaliation If Revolutionary Guards Designated Terror Group RFE/RL 07 Apr 2019 -- Iranian deputies say they will take reciprocal action against the United States if Washington designates the elite Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist group.
- Tehran, Baghdad agree to establish gas supply network IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- The development of joint fields, the reconstruction of old Iraqi refineries, the establishment of a gas supply network and the export of technical and engineering services are the most important oil agreements between Tehran and Baghdad.
- Iraq hails Iran's oil projects despite US sanctions IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Iraq praised Iranian oil sector for continuing its activities during the reimposition of the US sanctions.
- Iran eyes $20bn trade with Iraq in next 2 years IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Iran says it plans to reach 20 billion dollars in volume of annual trade with Iraq in the next two years.
- Iran, Iraq explore ways to boost bilateral trade IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Governor of Central Bank of Iran (CBI) Abdolnaser Hemmati and Iraqi Finance Minister Fuad Hussein, in a meeting in Tehran on Sunday, discussed ways to boost bilateral trade and to balance exports and imports between the two countries.
- Three-year plan to rebuild Iraq's electricity industry formulated IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Minister of Energy says a three-year plan to rebuild the Iraqi power industry has been formulated which will increase Iraq's power generation capacity by 30 percent.
- UK Labour says no immediate chance for compromise on Brexit deal Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Britain's main opposition Labour Party has ruled out any immediate chances of reaching a compromise on government's European Union withdrawal agreement, accusing Prime Minister Theresa May of wasting time by insisting on her red lines.
- May Says Brexit Choice Narrowed to Leaving EU With Deal or Remaining in Bloc Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May ruled out the option of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union with no deal on Saturday, saying that London would either get a divorce deal passed or remain in the bloc as the UK Parliament opposed a no-deal Brexit.
- Sudanese protesters rally outside Bashir's residence for 2nd day Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Thousands of Sudanese have held a second day of protests outside the army's headquarters in Khartoum, chanting slogans against President Omar al-Bashir's government,
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|