26 December 2018 Military News
- Remarks by President Trump to Troops at Al Asad Air Base | Al Anbar Province, Iraq The White House 26 Dec 2018
- Remarks by President Trump in Briefing at Al Asad Air Base | Al Anbar Province, Iraq The White House 26 Dec 2018
- Trump defends Syria pullout plan in Baghdad, says US troops to stay in Iraq Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump and his wife, Melania, have made a surprise visit to Iraq, meeting American troops fighting one of the many wars that he has mocked in the past as costly blunders.
- Trump Visits US Troops in Iraq on Unannounced Trip VOA 26 Dec 2018 -- President Donald Trump made an unannounced visit to Iraq on Wednesday to talk with U.S. troops stationed there.
- President Trump, First Lady Make Surprise Visit to US Troops in Iraq Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump made a surprise visit to Iraq on Wednesday to meet with US servicemembers stationed at the Al Asad Air Base.
- US Established Two New Military Bases in Anbar Province - Reports Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- The US Army established two new military facilities in uninhabited parts of Anbar province, Farhan al-Duleimi, a member of Anbar's provisional council, told Anadolu news agency.
- Talks between Iran, Afghan Taliban to continue: Shamkhani ISNA 26 Dec 2018 -- Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani held talks with Hamdullah Moheb, the National Security Adviser to Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, discussing bilateral, regional and international issues.
- Russia Hails Reported US Troop Reduction Plan in Afghanistan VOA 26 Dec 2018 -- Russia has hailed the reported U.S. plans to pull some troops from Afghanistan as "a step in the right direction" but cast doubt on whether Washington really intends to do so.
- Afghanistan: UN 'unequivocally condemns' attack in Kabul UN News 26 Dec 2018 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, known by its acronym UNAMA, condemned an attack on a government compound in the country's heavily populated capital city of Kabul on Monday night, which news reports say left more than 40 dead.
- Turkey extends military presence in Afghanistan IRNA 26 Dec 2018 -- Turkish parliament has approved a motion to extend the country's troops deployment in Afghanistan for another two years, Anadolu News Agency said.
- Confirmed: Iran talking to Taliban 'to aid Afghan security' Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Iran's top security official has confirmed that the country has been holding talks with the Afghan Taliban in coordination with Kabul to help relieve rampant insecurity in Afghanistan.
- Tehran Held Talks With Afghan Taliban, Say Iranian Media RFE/RL 26 Dec 2018 -- Iran has been holding talks with the Afghan Taliban with the knowledge of the Afghan government, Iranian media quoted a top Iranian security official as saying.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force begins work on Tyndall AFB rebuild with PMO AFNS 26 Dec 2018 -- Following Hurricane Michael, the Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center and its partners established a program management office at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, to lead redevelopment and reconstruction efforts.
- Kearsarge ARG, 22nd MEU Enter U.S. 6th Fleet NNS 26 Dec 2018 -- The Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and embarked 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) entered the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations Dec. 25 to conduct a scheduled deployment.
- USS Mobile Bay Conducts Small-Arms Qualifications NNS 26 Dec 2018 -- Sailors aboard the guided-missile cruiser USS Mobile Bay (CG 53) participated in small-arm qualifications on the flight deck while conducting routine operations, Dec. 19.
- Germany to Oppose New Missiles in Europe if US Scraps INF Treaty - Minister Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg said last month that the alliance had no plans to deploy new nuclear missiles in Europe. However, the US' looming pull-out of the INF Treaty with Russia has raised concerns that Washington might seek a nuclear build-up in Europe.
- Putin is pleased that Russia has the first in the world a new type of weapon TASS 26 Dec 2018 -- The President noted that the Avangard system will go into service in the Russian Armed Forces in 2019
- Putin hails successful test of Avangard hypersonic missile system Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has commended his military forces for carrying out a successful test launch of the cutting-edge Avangard hypersonic missile system.
- Putin Lauds Successful Test Of Hypersonic Missile System RFE/RL 26 Dec 2018 -- Russia has successfully tested its new Avangard hypersonic missile, the Kremlin said on December 26.
- Russia's Avangard System Missile Test-Launched From Orenburg Region - Kremlin Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- The Russian Defence Ministry, on orders from President Vladimir Putin, on Wednesday conducted a successful test launch of an Avangard missile from the Orenburg region, hitting a target in Kamchatka, the Kremlin press service reports.
- Russia begins testing of 'Poseidon' underwater nuclear drone Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Russia has started underwater trials of its mysterious Poseidon underwater nuclear drone, sources say, an state-of-the-art weapon that Russian President Vladimir Putin says is invincible.
- China's escort capability significantly improved after 10 years of escort missions People's Daily 26 Dec 2018 -- The Chinese military has conducted over 1,190 escort missions, safeguarding the voyages of more than 6,600 merchant ships from China and abroad in the Gulf of Aden since the first escort fleet was dispatched 10 years ago, showing significant progress in the nation's naval escort capability, experts said.
- Iranian, Russian navies to further expand cooperation ISNA 26 Dec 2018 -- Iranian Navy Commander, Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi announced that Iranian and Russian navies will hold joint drills, saying the cooperation between the two countries' navies will be further expanded in future.
- Taiwan ends conscription NHK 26 Dec 2018 -- Taiwan ended its compulsory military service on Wednesday. Defense officials say they are on track to an all-volunteer military.
- DoD News: Contracts for December 26, 2018
- Sikorsky, Boeing Offer Sneak Peek at New Double-Rotor Helicopter Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- Sikorsky and Boeing on Wednesday offered military equipment enthusiasts a first look at the SB>1 Defiant helicopter, a joint project the contractors have been developing for the US Army's Joint Multi-Role technology demonstrator program.
- Sikorsky, Boeing Provide First Look at SB>1 DEFIANT™ Boeing 26 Dec 2018 -- Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin company [NYSE: LMT], and Boeing [NYSE: BA] provided the first look at the SB>1 DEFIANT™ helicopter the companies have developed for the U.S. Army's Joint Multi-Role technology demonstrator program. The SB>1 DEFIANT™ is designed to fly at twice the speed and range of today's conventional helicopters and offers advanced agility and maneuverability. It will help inform the next generation of military helicopters as part of the U.S. Army's Future Vertical Lift program.
- Saudi coalition violates truce 31 times IRNA 26 Dec 2018 -- Saudi coalition has breached the truce agreement 31 times, spokesman for Yemen's Armed Forces said.
- Yemeni drone destroys Saudi coalition position IRNA 26 Dec 2018 -- The Yemeni army drone destroyed Saudi-led forces' positions in Al Jawf Region, northern Saudi Arabia, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al-Masirah' reported.
- Yemeni drone strikes military base of Saudi mercenaries in Jawf Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Yemeni army soldiers, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have reportedly carried out an aerial attack against a position of Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, in the country's northern province of al-Jawf.
- Three Soldiers Injured As Syrian Air Defenses Intercept Israeli Missiles RFE/RL 26 Dec 2018 -- Syrian state media says the country's air defenses have downed several Israeli missiles in a wave of attacks that injured three soldiers.
- Syria air defense intercepts Israeli warplanes missiles IRNA 26 Dec 2018 -- A military source affirmed that the Syrian Air defenses intercepted hostile missiles launched by the Israeli warplanes from over the Lebanese territories and downed the majority of them before reaching their targets, Syrian media 'SANA' reported.
- Israeli airstrikes on Syria put civilian flights in danger: Russia Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Russia has condemned as "provocative" the latest Israeli airstrikes on Syria, saying they had endangered two civilian flights.
- Syrian Foreign Ministry: Israel's Attacks on Damascus Possible Due to US Support Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- Six jets of the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) opened fire on targets in Syria on Tuesday night; most missiles were reportedly intercepted by Syrian air defence forces. Both Damascus and Moscow have condemned the attack, which Washington said was aimed at Hezbollah's targets.
- IDF Strikes on Syria Created Direct Threat to Two Passenger Planes – Russian MoD Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- The Russian Defence Ministry has stated that neither of the passenger planes that were threatened due to the Israeli assault on Syria were related to Russian air carriers.
- Israeli Media Claims IDF Destroyed Iranian Weapons in Strike on Damascus Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- The IDF destroyed an arms depot in Damascus stashed with Iranian weapons, the Jerusalem Post reported citing Israeli news agency Nziv.net.
- Turkey to soon cross to east of Euphrates in northern Syria People's Daily 26 Dec 2018 -- Turkey is determined to cross to the east of the Euphrates River in northern Syria as soon as possible, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Tuesday.
- Daesh claims responsibility for northern Iraq attack IRNA 26 Dec 2018 -- Daesh (ISIS) terrorist group has claimed the responsibility for the Tuesday car bombing in Tal Afar, Nineveh Province in northern Iraq.
- Daesh Claims Responsibility for Attack on Libyan Foreign Ministry - Reports Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- Daesh terrorist group has claimed responsibility for a deadly assault on the Libyan Foreign Ministry, the CNN broadcaster reported on Wednesday.
- Libya: Attack on foreign ministry, an attack on all Libyans, stresses UN envoy UN News 26 Dec 2018 -- The United Nations peace mission in Libya has "strongly" condemned a terrorist attack on the country's foreign ministry in the capital, Tripoli.
- Rohingya End Hard Year Still in Limbo VOA 26 Dec 2018 -- More than 750,000 Rohingya Muslim refugees who fled military attacks in Myanmar remain in Bangladesh camps as future repatriation and resettlement plans remain unclear.
- Poroshenko Ends Martial Law In Ukraine As Tensions With Russia Continue RFE/RL 26 Dec 2018 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has announced the end of martial law in the country's border regions that was imposed last month after Russia seized Ukrainian ships in the Black Sea.
- Poroshenko Terminates Ukraine's Martial Law Imposed Over Kerch Strait Incident Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- In early December, Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko introduced martial law in some Ukrainian regions located near the Russian border following the Kerch Strait incident, in which three Ukrainian vessels illegally crossed the Russian maritime border.
- Russia expands economic sanctions against Ukraine amid escalating crisis Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Russia has expanded its economic sanctions on Ukraine, adding over 250 people and businesses to a blacklist amid escalation of tensions between the two countries after Russian border guards opened fire and captured three Ukrainian naval vessels and their 24-member crew off Crimea late last month.
- Israel approves plans for 2,200 settler homes in West Bank Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Israeli authorities have approved plans for about 2,200 settlement homes in the occupied West Bank, an Israeli anti-settlement group says.
- Palestine to apply for full UN membership early next year, foreign minister says Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki says Palestine would "lodge an application to gain full state membership at the United Nations" in January.
- France discontinues Rwanda genocide investigation Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- French judges have discontinued their long-running investigation into a deadly 1994 attack on a former Rwandan president, which sparked genocide in the African country.
- Two Koreas hold groundbreaking rail project ceremony Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- South and North Koreas have held a groundbreaking ceremony for a project to reconnect the North's railways and roads to the South, even though construction cannot begin due to the sanctions imposed on Pyongyang by the United Nations (UN).
- Koreas Celebrate Joint Railway VOA 26 Dec 2018 -- North and South Korea held a groundbreaking ceremony Wednesday to mark the start of a joint project to connect railways throughout the divided peninsula. The event was held after both Korea's inspected railways along the peninsula's east coast.
- Commentary: U.S. renews farce by accusing China of cyber espionage People's Daily 26 Dec 2018 -- The United States has once again embarrassed itself by indicting two alleged Chinese hackers for breaking into computers of U.S. government agencies, companies as well as other nations.
- China tops space launch list for 2018 People's Daily 26 Dec 2018 -- Stats show the number of space launches from China this year has hit 37, making China the top destination in the world for space launches for the first time. This follows a launch on Tuesday, December 25, 2018 of a telecommunication satellite.
- Israeli Parliament Votes to Dissolve Parliament and Hold Early Elections VOA 26 Dec 2018 -- Israeli legislators voted Wednesday to dissolve parliament and hold a general election six months ahead of schedule on April 9.
- Israeli MPs dissolve Knesset, set date for early elections Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- The Israeli lawmakers have voted to dissolve the parliament, known as the Knesset, in a bid to hold early elections in April.
- Russia backs bin Salman, warns US not to interfere with Saudi throne succession Press TV 26 Dec 2018 -- Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has "every right" to succeed his ailing father into power, says Russian Deputy Prime Minister Mikhail Bogdanov, warning the United States against interfering with the embattled prince's right to rule the kingdom.
- India's Anti-Terror Agency Busts Terror Cell, Seizes Explosives & Weapons Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- India's NIA has said that terrorists belonging to a new *Daesh-inspired cell were planning to carry out remote-controlled explosions and suicide bombings at multiple locations across the country. The alleged terrorists, whose identities are yet to be revealed, were reportedly in touch with a foreign agent.
- Indonesian tsunami death toll climbs over 400 as Government-led relief efforts are stepped up UN News 26 Dec 2018 -- Government-led relief efforts are being stepped up at the tip of the Indonesia's two main islands of Sumatra and Java after a tsunami slammed into densely-populated coastal areas along the Sunda Strait on Saturday night.
- Heavy Rains Complicating Rescue, Relief Efforts on Indonesia's Tsunami-Hit Areas VOA 26 Dec 2018 -- Heavy rains are complicating efforts to provide aid to communities on Indonesia's remote western islands cut by last week's massive tsunami that killed 429 people.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|