02 December 2018 Military News
- Taliban Confirms Top Commander Killed by US Drone VOA 02 Dec 2018 -- An American drone strike in southern Afghanistan has killed a key Taliban military commander, dealing a serious blow to the insurgent group.
- Taliban rejects US claims on receiving arms from Iran IRNA 02 Dec 2018 -- Taliban in a statement refuted claims made by the US regarding receiving weapons from Iran for performing military operations in Afghanistan.
- 57 Taliban members killed in Afghanistan IRNA 02 Dec 2018 -- Afghanistan Defense Ministry in a statement on Saturday announced that 57 members of Taliban terrorist group have been killed and 13 more injured over the past 24 hours.
- Top Taliban commander killed in airstrike in southern Afghanistan Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- A senior Taliban commander and dozens of his comrades have been killed during a joint operation by Afghan and US Special Forces in southern Afghanistan, officials and Taliban members say.
- US warplanes dropped more bombs in Afghanistan in 2018 than any other year Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- US warplanes have dropped more munitions in Afghanistan during the first 10 months of this year than during any other full calendar year since the American Air Force began documenting monthly bomb usage in the war-torn nation back in 2006.
- Senior Afghan Taliban Commander Killed In Air Strike RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- A top commander of the Afghan Taliban has been killed in the southern province of Helmand.
- Nine people killed in new US airstrike in Somalia Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- The United States military has reportedly conducted an airstrike in Somalia, killing nine people.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Fully Automated Russian Rocket Artillery Systems on the Horizon - Developer Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Russia's multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) artillery platforms are known for their accuracy and destructive power. Now, developers say, they are being improved further through automation.
- Iran defense power conveying message of peace: Minister IRNA 02 Dec 2018 -- Iran's defense power is for keeping the peace and security and sends out a message of peace and security, Iran's defense minister told the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) on Sunday.
- Iran missile not banned by UN resolutions: Spox IRNA 02 Dec 2018 -- Not even one resolution has been issued by the United Nations Security Council prohibiting Iran's missile program or tests, said the spokesman of Iran's ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- No resolution bans Iran's missile tests or program: FM spokesman ISNA 02 Dec 2018 -- "Iran's missile program is a defensive plan, based on the needs of our country," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Bahram Qassemi said, reacting to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's recent allegation that Iran's missile tests violate UN Security Council resolution 2231.
- Iran will continue to test, develop deterrent missiles: Commander Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- The senior spokesman of the Iranian Armed Forces says the country will continue to test and develop its missiles in line with its deterrence policy despite adversarial positions taken on this issue by US officials.
- Iran among world's top missile powers: Defense minister Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the Islamic Republic is currently one of the world's topmost missile powers despite being subject to severe sanctions during the past 40 years.
- Iran rejects 'ridiculous' US claims against its missile program Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Iran has rejected US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's claims against its missile capabilities, saying the program is defensive and does not violate the international agreement on Tehran's nuclear program.
- U.S. Condemns Iran Missile Test RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has condemned what he described as Iran's testing of a medium-range ballistic missile "capable of carrying multiple warheads."
- Iran to Continue Missile Tests, Needs No Permits From Other Countries – Army Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Iran will continue to conduct missile tests without asking other countries for permit, a spokesman for the Iranian Armed Forces said on Sunday.
- 'Best Deal': Turkish FM Cavusoglu Reveals Why Turkey Bought Russia's S-400 Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Turkey decided to buy Russia's S-400 air defence systems as Moscow offered the best deal when Ankara needed such weapons, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Saturday.
- Remarks by President Trump in Press Gaggle Aboard Air Force One The White House 02 Dec 2018
- Microsoft to give Pentagon access to 'best technology' Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- US software giant Microsoft has pledged to give the Pentagon access to its "best technology" despite criticism from employees, breaking with other tech companies that are reconsidering military companies after facing internal backlash.
- Yemeni drone units target Saudi aggressors' positions IRNA 02 Dec 2018 -- Yemeni artillery and drone units targeted the positions of Saudi aggressors and mercenaries.
- US-led coalition attacks Syrian Army in Homs province Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Syria says the United States-led coalition alleging to be fighting Takfiri terrorists in the Arab country has attacked the positions of the country's army in a central province.
- US actions in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr 'illegitimate': Russia's FM Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says actions taken by the United States in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr are "illegitimate."
- US-led coalition strikes in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr kill 206 civilians in November: Monitor Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- A so-called monitoring group says more than two hundred civilians lost their lives as the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group carried out airstrikes on Syria's troubled eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr in November.
- Russia expands air defense network in Syria to US dismay: Report Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Russia has reportedly completed an advanced anti-access/area denial network in Syria, posing a challenge to US military presence in the Arab country and the Eastern Mediterranean Sea.
- US-Led Coalition Strikes Syrian Positions, Syrian Military Source Says - Reports Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- A source from Syrian military reported that the US-led coalition attacked Syrian army positions in country's east, Syrian media reported.
- Russian Military Deliver Humanitarian Aid to Syrian Soldiers in Aleppo - MoD Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Russian military from the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Syrian Reconciliation have delivered humanitarian aid to injured Syrian soldiers at a military hospital in Aleppo and their families, the center's spokesman, Maj. Gen. Sergei Popov, told reporters on Sunday.
- Russia, Turkey Agree to Continue Joint Work on Idlib Memorandum Implementation Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- The Russian and Turkish delegations to the G20 summit in Buenos Aires agreed to continue the joint work aimed at implementation of the memorandum on the situation in the rebel-held Syrian province of Idlib, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters.
- Putin Says He And Trump Briefly Discussed Ukraine Naval Confrontation RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said that he and U.S. President Donald Trump briefly discussed the recent naval confrontation in the Black Sea between Ukrainian and Russian naval ships.
- Mattis blasts Putin for election meddling, Ukraine row, US pullout of nuke pact Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- US Defense Secretary James Mattis has blasted Russian President Vladimir Putin as untrustworthy and "a slow learner," blaming him for meddling in the latest US mid-term polls, recent seizure of Ukrainian warships in Russian waters, and even Washington's pullout of a key arms-control treaty with Moscow.
- U.S. Defense Chief Accuses Putin Of 'Duplicitous' Action On Missile Treaty RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- The U.S. defense secretary strongly criticized Russian President Vladimir Putin, accusing him of deceit involving a key Cold War-era arms control treaty, and acting recklessly in last week's naval confrontation with Ukraine.
- Moscow to Resume Dialogue With US as Soon as Washington is Prepared - Lavrov Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Earlier, Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed disappointment over President Trump's decision to cancel their planned meeting at the G20 in Argentina, saying the two countries have much to talk about on issues including nuclear strategic stability in light of the US talk of pulling out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty.
- 'He's An Adult': Putin Reveals What He Told Trump During Brief Talk at G20 Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Trump cancelled his meeting with the Russian president on Thursday after being briefed on the Kerch Strait incident, in which several Ukrainian Navy vessels and their crews were detained for violating Russia's maritime borders.
- US Defence Sec Calls Putin 'Slow Learner', Alleges Recent Election Meddling Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- American politicians, including Donald Trump, voiced concerns prior to November that Russia would try to meddle in the US congressional elections. Although US intelligence agencies said there was no evidence of Russia's attempts to influence the outcome of the midterms, the Secretary of Defence shared some "inside" information.
- Russian TV Crew's 'Suspicious Behavior' Triggers Military Alert, Public Warning In Britain RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- British Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson has called on the public to report suspicious activity near army sites after a Russian TV crew prompted an alert at a highly sensitive military facility, the Daily Mail newspaper reports.
- Trump says meeting with DPRK's top leader Kim likely early next year: report People's Daily 02 Dec 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump reportedly said on Saturday on his way back here that his second meeting with the top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Kim Jong Un, is likely to happen in January or February next year.
- Zarif slams US hypocrisy over UNSCR IRNA 02 Dec 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif condemned US hypocrisy in accusing Iran of breaching the UN Security Council resolution 2231.
- Zarif blasts 'surrealism' guiding US foreign policy Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif condemns the "surrealism" informing the US' foreign policy after his American counterpart accuses Tehran of violating the very UN Security Council resolution that Washington is in breach of.
- US reaches trade war truce with China after Trump-Xi talks Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- The United States and China have agreed to temporarily stop their trade war following high-stakes talks between President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping, the White House says.
- Trump, Xi Agree On Tariff Cease-Fire, As Trade Talks Continue RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- The White House says U.S. President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, have agreed on a 90-day cease-fire to their mounting trade war, as the world's two biggest economies try to avert further escalation.
- Truce in Trade War After Trump-Xi Dinner in Argentina VOA 02 Dec 2018 -- The world's two largest economies, the U.S. and China, have agreed to a small truce in their escalating trade war after a meeting between presidents Donald Trump and Xi Jinping following the G-20 summit.
- Israel's opposition urges Benjamin Netanyahu to resign amid bribery charges Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Israel's opposition leader has called on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to step down after the Israeli police recommended indicting him and his wife, Sara, for bribery and other corruption charges.
- Israeli police recommend bribery charges against PM Netanyahu, wife Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- The Israel police have recommended indicting Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife Sara for bribery and other corruption charges in an investigation dubbed Case 4000.
- Putin: Russia, Saudi agreed to keep oil production low Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Russia and Saudi Arabia have agreed to extend an agreement on cutting their respective oil outputs to prevent crude prices from slumping further.
- Erdogan: We 'Cannot Be Satisfied' With Riyadh's Khashoggi Case Explanations Sputnik 02 Dec 2018 -- Ankara is dissatisfied with Riyadh's explanations in connection with the murderer of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday.
- Trio Prepares For First Soyuz Manned Launch Since October Accident RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- One Russian cosmonaut and two astronauts from the United States and Canada are set to board the first manned mission to the International Space Station (ISS) since an aborted launch in October.
- Mexico's new president vows to drop neo-liberalism Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Mexico's new president, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, has denounced the neo-liberal economic policies of his predecessors as a "disaster and calamity," vowing to tackle corruption and chronic poverty in the Latin American country.
- Bahrain opposition warns about abuse of female activists Press TV 02 Dec 2018 -- Bahrain's largest opposition group has warned about the ruling regime's sweeping arrest and abuse campaign against female activists throughout the course of a campaign of suppression that has already taken the lives of scores of dissidents.
- Thousands In Georgia Protest Alleged Election Fraud RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- Thousands of people have protested in the Georgian capital against the election of the ruling party-backed candidate Salome Zurabishvili to the presidency, claiming fraud in last week's runoff vote.
- Georgian Opposition Protests Alleged Election Irregularities VOA 02 Dec 2018 -- Tens of thousands of people protested in Georgia Sunday against last week's run-off presidential election, which they believe were rigged.
- Kosovo Serb Lawmakers Occupy Office Over 100-Percent Tariff On Serbia RFE/RL 02 Dec 2018 -- Lawmakers representing Kosovo's ethnic Serb minority are refusing to leave the parliament building in Pristina to protest a 100-percent tax on products imported from Serbia.
- UN Climate Chief: Warming Threat 'Never Been Worse' VOA 02 Dec 2018 -- The threat posed by global warming "has never been worse," U.N. climate chief Patricia Espinosa said at the start of climate talks in Poland.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|