27 November 2018 Military News
- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Press Briefing By Col. Ryan via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 27 Nov 2018 -- Colonel Sean J. Ryan, spokesman, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Sean Robertson, Pentagon spokesman
- U.S. Setting Up Observation Posts in Syria to Keep ISIS From Entering Turkey AFPS 27 Nov 2018 -- U.S. forces are establishing observation posts in Northeast Syria to further deny escape routes to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve told Pentagon reporters today.
- Despite violence, 'tremendous hunger' for peace in Afghanistan: top UN official UN News 27 Nov 2018 -- A high-level international conference on Afghanistan got underway at the UN in Geneva on Tuesday to show solidarity for the war-torn country's people and help strengthen Government efforts to promote development, along with wider peace and security.
- Bomb Kills 3 US Soldiers in Afghanistan VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. military in Afghanistan says three of its service members were killed and three others wounded when an improvised explosive device exploded near the troubled central eastern city of Ghazni.
- Afghan Conference Seeks Solidarity for Peace, Development VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- Ministers and senior officials from around the world are attending a conference aimed at affirming international solidarity for Afghanistan's efforts to promote development and stability.
- At least 3 US troops killed in bomb attack in central Afghanistan Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- At least three US servicemen have been killed and three others wounded when an improvised explosive device went off in central Afghanistan, the NATO mission in the war-torn country says.
- Three U.S. Soldiers Killed In Afghanistan Blast RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. Army says three of its soldiers have been killed in a roadside bombing near the central Afghan city of Ghazni.
- EU Announces $500 Million In New Funds To Afghanistan At Donors Conference RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- The European Union has announced 474 million euros ($535 million) in financial aid for Afghanistan as international donors gathered for a UN-backed conference focusing on development, peace, and security in the country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS John S. McCain Leaves Dry Dock, Continues Repairs in Yokosuka NNS 27 Nov 2018 -- USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) achieved a major milestone this week as it successfully launched from dry dock and moored pierside at Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Nov. 27.
- Sailors Aboard Wayne E. Meyer Conduct Fisheries Patrol Exercise with US Coast Guard, Ecuadorian Navy NNS 27 Nov 2018 -- Sailors aboard Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG 108) conducted a fisheries patrol exercise with the U.S. Coast Guard and Ecuadorian naval assets in the Pacific Ocean, Nov. 22.
- A More Lethal Surface Force: ABESG Warships Complete First East Coast CRUDES SWATT NNS 27 Nov 2018 -- The Navy's Surface Fleet is more capable, ready and lethal today as surface combatants from USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) Carrier Strike Group (ABESG) completed the Navy's first East Coast Carrier Strike Group (CSG) Cruiser-Destroyer (CRUDES) Surface Warfare Advanced Tactical Training (SWATT) exercise.
- Seabees Work Through the Night, Complete Mount Out Exercise NNS 27 Nov 2018 -- Seabees assigned to Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3 worked day and night to complete a 48-hour mount out exercise (MOX) onboard Camp Shields in Okinawa, Japan, Nov. 19-21.
- Global Hawk testers raise their hand AFNS 27 Nov 2018 -- At the commander's call on Edwards Air Force Base, California, Brig. Gen. E. John Teichert stated that "Innovation is an Airmen, at any level, raising their hand to say, 'I've got a better way to do business.'"
- Cyber Coalition helps prepare NATO for today's threats NATO 27 Nov 2018 -- NATO's flagship cyber defence exercise Cyber Coalition, one of the largest in the world, started on Tuesday (27 November 2018) in Tartu, Estonia. The exercise tests and trains cyber defenders from across the Alliance in their ability to defend NATO and national networks. Now in its eleventh year, Cyber Coalition involves around 700 participants from Allies, partners, industry and academia.
- 'US pullout from Russia treaty to have global consequences' Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- A senior Russian official has cautioned the United States against a plan to withdraw from a landmark Cold War-era nuclear arms control treaty with Russia, saying such a move would have grave consequence for the world.
- Qatar - Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM) and Related Equipment and Support for NASAMS DSCA 27 Nov 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Qatar of defense articles and services in support of a Direct Commercial Sale of the National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System (NASAMS) for an estimated cost of $215 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Egypt - 120MM Tank Rounds DSCA 27 Nov 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Egypt of forty-six thousand (46,000) M831A1 and M865 rounds and ten thousand (10,000) APFSDS-T rounds for an estimated cost of $201 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Egypt - AH-64E Apache Attack Helicopters and Related Equipment and Support DSCA 27 Nov 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Egypt of ten (10) AH-64E Apache Attack Helicopters for an estimated cost of $1.0 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- China launches work on third aircraft carrier: media report People's Daily 27 Nov 2018 -- China has launched work on building its third aircraft carrier, Xinhua News Agency reported on Sunday.
- Beijing Eyes Building Underwater AI Base in Disputed South China Sea - Report Sputnik 27 Nov 2018 -- Officials from the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing have set off to uncharted territory as researchers consider building an underwater sea base in the South China Sea for unmanned submarine science and possibly defense operations.
- Iran navy self-sufficient: Cmdr IRNA 27 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Navy is totally self-sufficient in marine defense, surface and sub-surface vessels, said the commander of the Iranian Navy on Tuesday.
- Japan Set to Massively Expand F-35 Fleet - Report Sputnik 27 Nov 2018 -- Japan is planning to announce a massive purchase of fifth-generation F-35 Joint Strike Fighter aircraft next month in response to Beijing's military buildup, Japanese media reported Tuesday.
- South Korea to Buy Updated Missile Defense Radar Systems from Israel Sputnik 27 Nov 2018 -- South Korea is pressing ahead with plans to buy two Israeli early warning radar systems, announcing on Tuesday it would buy the updated Green Pine radars for $292 million.
- Military launches naming contest for its new jets CNA 27 Nov 2018 -- Taiwan's military is launching a contest to come up with a new name for its advanced military supersonic jet trainer aircraft currently under development.
- Department Press Briefing - November 27, 2018 US Dept. of State 27 Nov 2018
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, Director of the NEC Larry Kudlow, and NSC Advisor John Bolton The White House 27 Nov 2018
- 27 November 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 27 Nov 2018
- S. Arabia bombs BTS towers in northern Yemen IRNA 27 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has bombarded the base transceiver stations (BTS) in Saada Province, northern Yemen, Yemeni Media 'Al-Masirah' reported.
- Yemen targets Saudis' positions with missiles IRNA 27 Nov 2018 -- The Yemeni army and popular committee targeted Saudi forces' positions in Taiz, southwestern Yemen with missiles, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al-Masirah' reported.
- Yemeni forces foil Saudi attack on Al Hudaydah Port IRNA 27 Nov 2018 -- The Yemeni forces foiled Saudi-led coalition attack on southern parts of Al Hudaydah Port and inflicted heavy damages on them, Arab media 'Al Mayadeen' quoted a Yemeni military source as saying.
- Yemeni ballistic missiles hit military targets in Saudi regions of Asir, Jizan: Report Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have hit two military targets in Saudi Arabia's southwestern regions of Asir and Jizan with domestically-manufactured ballistic missiles in retaliation for the regime's campaign of military aggression against the impoverished nation, a report says.
- Syrian president reshuffles cabinet as anti-terror fight nears end Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has reshuffled his cabinet as the government's counter-terrorism operation is nearing an end.
- Suffering of thousands of war-affected Syrian children 'unprecedented and unacceptable' UN News 27 Nov 2018 -- Well over 7,000 child casualties in Syria's brutal armed conflict have been verified over the last five years, but this is just "the tip of the iceberg," the United Nations Regional Humanitarian Coordinator for the crisis lamented on Tuesday, with thousands more cases likely going unreported.
- Russia Moves Fast to Deepen Kerch Crisis VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- Russia's attack on Ukrainian military vessels in the Black Sea marks the first time the Kremlin has staged open aggression against Ukraine since President Vladimir Putin annexed Crimea four years ago, and launched a destabilization campaign in the Donbas region.
- Crimean Court Orders Captured Ukrainian Sailors Detained VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- A court in Russia-annexed Crimea ordered 12 of 24 Ukrainian sailors who were apprehended at sea Sunday by Russian naval forces following a confrontation to be detained for two months.
- Russian Court Jails Captured Ukrainian Sailors For Two Months RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- A Russian court has ordered 12 of the 24 Ukrainian sailors who were captured by Russian coast-guard forces during a confrontation at sea off Crimea to be held in custody for two months, while the UN chief called for restraint from both Moscow and Kyiv and Estonia's president accused Russia of waging "war in Europe."
- Russia Rejects $1.3 Billion International Arbitration Ruling In Ukraine Bank Case RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- Russia says it will not accept an international arbitration ruling obliging Moscow to pay Ukraine's biggest state-run bank $1.3 billion in compensation for loss of business and assets in Crimea following Moscow's annexation of the peninsula in 2014.
- North Atlantic Council statement on developments near the Sea of Azov NATO 27 Nov 2018 -- In view of Russia's use of military force against Ukraine near the Sea of Azov and the Kerch Strait, NATO Allies call on Russia to ensure unhindered access to Ukrainian ports and allow freedom of navigation.
- Ukrainian army on full combat alert over tensions with Russia in Sea of Azov People's Daily 27 Nov 2018 -- The Ukrainian armed forces were put on full combat alert over the situation in the Sea of Azov, the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces said Monday in a statement on Facebook.
- Putin voices 'serious concern' over martial law in Ukraine Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has voiced "serious concern" over Ukraine's recent move to impose martial law in the country following the seizure of three intruding Ukrainian military vessels in Russian waters.
- European politicians call for new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine crisis Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- The European Union says it will consider further sanctions against Russia next month following the seizure of three intruding Ukrainian military vessels in Russian waters.
- Myanmar seizes more Rohingya Muslims fleeing Rakhine Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- Myanmar's authorities have intercepted a boat with 93 Rohingya Muslims who were fleeing apartheid conditions at internal displacement camps in Rakhine State and heading to Malaysia.
- Pakistan to Launch Construction of 'Corridor of Peace' with India VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan will lay the foundation stone Wednesday for what is dubbed as a cross-border "corridor of peace" to allow religious devotees from India's minority Sikh community to make free visits to one of their holiest gurdwaras, or temples, on the Pakistani side after more than seven decades.
- U.S. Prosecutor Says Manafort Violated Cooperation Deal In Russia Probe RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller has accused President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, of lying and violating his deal with prosecutors to cooperate with their investigation into ties between Russia and Trump's 2016 election campaign.
- Manafort Denies Report He Met With WikiLeaks Founder VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort is denying a Guardian newspaper report that he met with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange three times, including at the time he joined the Trump campaign.
- Ex-Trump Aide Manafort Held Secret Talks With Assange – Reports Sputnik 27 Nov 2018 -- On Monday, Trump's former campaign manager was lambasted in a court hearing file over his alleged lying to both the FBI and the special counsel's office, which is something the ex-aide instantly denied.
- The United States Sanctions Two Close Associates of Nicaraguan President Ortega US Dept. of State 27 Nov 2018 -- Today, President Trump signed an Executive Order (E.O.) designed to counter the worst abuses of the Ortega regime in Nicaragua, including its dismantling of democratic institutions and serious human rights violations and abuses.
- Treasury Targets Nicaraguan Vice President and Key Advisor over Violent Response to Protests US Treasury 27 Nov 2018 -- "Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action pursuant to a new Executive Order (E.O.) targeting the Ortega regime and its supporters, who continue to engage in rampant corruption, dismantling of democratic institutions, serious human rights abuse, and exploitation of the people and public resources of Nicaragua for private gain."
- Hungary: Lyubishin Extradition US Dept. of State 27 Nov 2018 -- Press Statement by Heather Nauert, Department Spokesperson
- Hungary Denies Extradition Of Suspected Russian Arms Dealers To U.S. RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- Hungary has denied a U.S. request to extradite two suspected Russian arms dealers and instead sent the two men to Russia, the State Department says.
- Arms For All? Khodorkovsky Says Russians Need Guns RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- Former oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a staunch Kremlin critic who went from Russia's wealthiest man to its highest-profile inmate, remains upbeat about the country he fled upon his release from prison in 2013.
- Russia Targets Google For Not Deleting Banned Groups From Search Results RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- Russia's communications watchdog is accusing tech giant Google of failing to comply with a law requiring it to delete search results for organizations that are banned in Russia.
- France detains senior official 'suspected of spying for North Korea' Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- The French authorities have arrested a senior official in the French Senate accusing of spying for North Korea and handing over sensitive information to Pyongyang, judicial and security sources say.
- Iran's President Works To Further Isolate Iranian Regime From Both World and Iranian People US Dept. of State 26 Nov 2018 -- Press Statement by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Nuclear chief warns EU: Iran's Patience running out IRNA 27 Nov 2018 -- Iran's nuclear chief said on Tuesday that he was warning the European Union's top diplomat that Iranian patience was running out on the bloc's pledges to keep up oil trade despite US sanctions.
- Iran's nuclear chief warns patience is running out on EU pledges Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi has warned that Tehran's patience is running out over the failure of the European Union's economic pledges to deliver any "tangible results."
- Japan to seek extension of US waivers for Iran oil imports Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- Japanese buyers will seek an extension of the waiver from US sanctions on Iranian oil imports after the initial 180-day exemption is over, the Petroleum Association of Japan (PAJ) said on Tuesday.
- Hong Kong Democrats Eye Rural Political Reform VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- Hong Kong's pro-democracy camp is hoping to infiltrate one of the city's most opaque yet powerful institutions, its rural governance committees, by running four candidates in upcoming village elections, whose nomination period ended late last week.
- US Lawmakers Seethe Ahead of Briefing on Saudi Arabia VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- Still seething over the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, U.S. senators on Tuesday demanded the Trump administration share all it knows about who ordered last month's killing of the Saudi dissident and U.S. resident at the kingdom's consulate in Turkey.
- Saudi Crown Prince Visiting Arab Allies VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is making a high-profile visit to Riyadh's major Arab allies before heading on to the G-20 summit in Buenos Aires at the end of the week.
- Saudi Arabia Pumps All-Time Record Amount of Oil Amid Pressure From Washington Sputnik 27 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabia raised the production of oil in November to its highest in the history of the country amid US President Donald Trump's calls for the lowering of oil prices.
- Saudi Arabia, Egypt to continue diplomatic, trade boycott against Qatar Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabia and Egypt have jointly announced that the ongoing Saudi-led diplomatic and trade boycott against Qatar, which they imposed on the energy-rich Persian Gulf kingdom in June 2017, would remain in effect until further notice.
- Cross-strait policy is the responsibility of central government: Tsai CNA 27 Nov 2018 -- All matters pertaining to Taiwan's cross-strait policy remain under the authority of the central government, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Tuesday in response to Kaohsiung's plan to set up a new working platform to deal with China.
- Taiwan's cross-strait policy to continue post-election: analysts CNA 27 Nov 2018 -- The result of Taiwan's nine-in-one elections will not impact the country's steady and moderate approach to cross-strait relations, analysts said.
- Taiwan scraps nuclear-free deadline in wake of referendum CNA 27 Nov 2018 -- Taiwan will no longer aim to become nuclear- free by 2025, following the result of the recent referendum related to nuclear power, Cabinet spokeswoman Kolas Yotaka said Tuesday.
- UK government rejects Trump's criticism of Brexit deal Press TV 27 Nov 2018 -- The British government has furiously reacted to remarks by US President Donald Trump about a European Union withdrawal agreement, saying it was wrong to say that London will not be able to reach its own trade arrangement with Washington under the deal reached between Britain and the EU last week.
- Split Ticket? Noncandidate Looms Large In Georgia's Presidential Runoff RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- Georgia's billionaire former prime minister, Bidzina Ivanishvili, isn't one of the two candidates in a presidential runoff vote this week. But you wouldn't know that from the wave of billboards that have flooded the country.
- Montenegro Seeks Serbian Explanation For Coup Suspect Fleeing To Embassy RFE/RL 27 Nov 2018 -- Montenegro has summoned the Serbian ambassador to Podgorica after a suspect on trial over a failed 2016 coup attempt fled to Serbia's Embassy to avoid detention.
- Maldives Seeks Indian Assistance in the Face of Mammoth Chinese Debt Sputnik 27 Nov 2018 -- Faced with an acute budgetary deficit due to mounting foreign debts, the new government in the Maldives, led by President Abdulla Solih, is looking to India for financial support to help the island nation achieve its development goals. It has announced the revival of its 'India First' policy without affecting its engagement with China.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|