09 September 2018 Military News
- US sends reinforcements to its Syria base after Russia warning of attack Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- The US military is sending more than 100 Marines to Syria as reinforcements to protect an illegal American base there for training anti-Damascus terrorists after repeated Russian warnings of an impending attack on the militants in the area south of the terror-ravaged country, the Pentagon said.
- US Sends Troops to its Syria Base Amid Moscow's Alleged Attack Warnings - Report Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- The development comes amid US media reports claiming that the Russian military had allegedly warned Washington of its plans to attack militants near America's al-Tanf military base in Syria.
- US Denies Russian Report it Dropped White Phosphorus in Eastern Syria VOA 09 Sep 2018 -- The Pentagon is denying Russian reports the U.S. dropped white phosphorus munitions on military targets in a civilian area of eastern Syria.
- Dozens of Afghan Forces Killed in Taliban Attacks VOA 09 Sep 2018 -- A district police chief was among dozens of security forces killed in Afghanistan in overnight attacks by the Taliban, officials said Sunday.
- UN: 8 Million Afghans 'Don't Live in Their Homes' VOA 09 Sep 2018 -- The head of the United Nations refugee agency estimates eight million Afghans do not live in their homes, fleeing deadly conflict, poverty, unemployment and a worsening drought in Afghanistan.
- Suicide Bombing Hits Afghan Commemorations Of Resistance Leader Masud, Killing At Least Seven RFE/RL 09 Sep 2018 -- A suicide bomber on a motorcycle has blown himself up near a procession in the Afghan capital commemorating the death of a revered resistance leader, killing at least seven people, officials say.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bolstering NATO: US to Transfer 1,500 More Soldiers to Germany Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- In spite of consistent complaints from US President Donald Trump that the US contributes more than its fair share of troops and resources to bolster NATO, the Pentagon announced on Friday that an additional 1,500 soldiers would be transferred to Germany over the next two years.
- China joins Australia's largest drill for first time Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- Australia's largest joint maritime exercise, involving more than 3,000 personnel from 27 countries, has started off the strategic northern port city of Darwin, with China participating for the first time.
- Beijing Tests Its First Amphibious Plane Amid Heightened Conflict in S China Sea Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- Beijing is busy modernizing its military amid ongoing territorial disputes in the South China Sea. A British Royal Navy warship entered on Thursday, before being warned to leave by China's navy.
- China ready to enhance cooperation with Iranian armed forces ISNA 09 Sep 2018 -- Beijing is ready to actively develop cooperation between the armed forces of China and Iran, Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe said at a meeting with his Iranian counterpart Brigadier General Amir Hatami.
- France to Spend Over $4Bln on Military Satellites Renewal - Defense Minister Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- Paris will spend 3.6 billion euros (over $4 billion) for military satellites renewal, French Defense Minister Florence Parly told the French radio station Europe 1 on Sunday.
- Iran's S-300 system more precise than Russians': Military official IRNA 09 Sep 2018 -- The Iranian-made S-300 system is more accurate than its Russian counterparts, said the dean of Supreme National Defense University on Sunday.
- Iranian Forces Should Increase Power to 'Scare off' Enemies - Khamenei Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei earlier stated that "there is no likelihood of a military war," adding, however, that the armed forces have to "raise their personnel and equipment capacities."
- Iran's missile might not up for negotiations: Leader's aide Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- Iran's missile capabilities are a matter of honor, independence and national confidence and are not up for negotiations, a top military advisor to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says.
- Iran own version more precise than S-300: General Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- Former defense minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi says Iran's own version of the S-300 missile system is more precise than the Russian type.
- Spain Cancels Sale of Weapons to Saudi Arabia Citing Yemen War Atrocities Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- Spain's defense ministry has canceled the delivery of laser-guided bombs to the Saudi-Arabian government, noting that Riyadh's war in Yemen has seen some 10,000 killed and an estimated 5 million uprooted.
- UK Abandons Plans to Fully Withdraw Troops From Germany by 2020 - Reports Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- UK State Secretary for Defense Gavin Williamson has ordered hundreds of the country's servicemen to remain on German territory despite earlier plans for a complete troop withdrawal, local media reported.
- Ansarullah: US not willing to end war in Yemen IRNA 09 Sep 2018 -- The leader of Yemen's Ansarullah Movement said Washington is not willing to end war in Yemen due to its economic benefits for the US.
- Southern Saudi Arabia targeted by Yemen missiles IRNA 09 Sep 2018 -- Yemeni Army's missile unit fired two missiles at Saudi Arabian forces' positions in south of the country.
- UN unable to cease Saudi-led military aggression against Yemen: Ansarullah Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- The spokesman for Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement says the United Nations cannot put an end to the almost three-and-a-half years old Saudi-led military campaign against Yemen, which has claimed the lives of tens of thousands of innocent civilians and left the country's critical infrastructure in ruins.
- Army advances in Sweida, destroys munitions depot in Hama IRNA 09 Sep 2018 -- Syrian army units continued to advance in the depth of the rocky cliffs in the area of al-Safa hills in Sweida eastern Badyia (desert) after violent clashes with Daesh (ISIS) terrorists.
- Tailored attack likely to take place in Syria's Idlib People's Daily 09 Sep 2018 -- With the development of the anticipated battle to retake the last major rebel stronghold of Idlib province in northwestern Syria, the upcoming military campaign is likely to be limited, not a full-scale one.
- Germany May Join Possible Western Airstrikes on Syria - Reports Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- Germany may join possible airstrikes on Syrian government forces by western nations in case of chemical weapons use by Damascus, according to local media.
- Two US F-15 Jets Strike Deir ez-Zor With Banned Phosphorus Bombs – Russian MoD Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- The airstrikes carried out by the US F-15s have caused major fires in Deir ez-Zor province, the Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation said in a statement, noting that information about "people killed and injured due to the strikes is being clarified."
- UK Submarine Reportedly Enters Mediterranean Amid Expected Provocations in Syria Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- The deployment of the submarine was preceded by a build-up in US naval forces in the region, which took place amid warnings issued by the Russian Defense Ministry about planned provocations using chemical weapons in Syria. The last such provocation triggered joint airstrikes by the US, UK and France against Damascus.
- France Vows to Respond in Case of Chemical Attack in Idlib - Defense Min. Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- If chemical attacks are carried out in Syria, retaliatory measures will follow, including those from France, French Minister for the Armed Forces Florence Parly has stated.
- UN Hopes to Revitalize Political Peace Process for Syria VOA 09 Sep 2018 -- As military attacks on Idlib intensify, the United Nations is trying to put the Syrian conflict back on the political negotiating table. Senior officials from Russia, Turkey and Iran will gather in Geneva Monday for two days of discussions on drafting a new constitution for war-torn Syria.
- Iraqi security forces bust five-strong terrorist cell in southern Kirkuk Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- Iraqi security forces have disbanded a terrorist group in the southern part of the country's oil-rich northern province of Kirkuk as government troops, backed by allied fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, are trying to purge the war-ravaged Arab country of the remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- IRGC confirms missile attack against terror cells in Kurdistan Region of Iraq ISNA 09 Sep 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) confirmed that has fired missiles against the bases of terror cells based in Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- Iran's IRGC confirms firing 7 missiles at Iraq-based terrorists Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRCG) confirms that it has fired seven short-range missiles at a gathering of terrorist commanders in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guards Confirm Deadly Missile Strikes On Kurdish Rebels In Iraq RFE/RL 09 Sep 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) says it was behind a rocket assault on an Iranian Kurdish rebel group in Iraq that killed at least 11 people.
- PM of Breakaway Georgian Region Of Abkhazia Dies In Auto Accident RFE/RL 09 Sep 2018 -- The prime minister of the Russia-backed breakaway Georgian region of Abkhazia has died in an automobile accident, the separatist government says.
- Prime Minister of Abkhazia Gagulia Killed in Car Accident Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- Prime Minister of Abkhazia Gennady Gagulia was killed in a car accident which took place not far from the settlement of Myussera, in the republic's Gudauta District, late on Saturday, Diana Zantaria, the spokeswoman for the republic's cabinet of ministers, told Sputnik.
- Cameroon Separatists Attack Buses in English-Speaking Region VOA 09 Sep 2018 -- Cameroon says it has deployed additional troops to Bamenda several hours after armed separatists blocked access into and out of the northwestern English-speaking town, attacking buses and passengers.
- US officials, Venezuelan military officers discussed anti-Maduro coup plot: Report Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- US officials have reportedly met repeatedly with insurgent Venezuelan military officers over the past year to prepare potential coup plots to overthrow the government of President Nicolas Maduro.
- Venezuelan Foreign Minister Says Exposed US Plans to Support Coup Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- On Saturday Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza confirmed alleged plans by US agencies to support a coup against the Venezuelan leadership.
- 'Hundreds Detained' As Kremlin Opponents Protest Pension-Reform Plan On Election Day RFE/RL 09 Sep 2018 -- Thousands of anti-Kremlin demonstrators have taken to the streets in Russia to protest the government's plan to raise the retirement age in rallies coinciding with regional and local elections nationwide, triggering tense confrontations with police and resulting in hundreds of detentions, according to a rights-monitoring group.
- Russia Protests Putin, as Pro-Kremlin Candidates Cruise to Election Wins VOA 09 Sep 2018 -- Thousands of Russians rallied against government-backed pension reforms and hundreds of them faced arrest Sunday, as Kremlin-backed candidates for governorships and the powerful mayorship post in Moscow appeared headed to easy victory in elections scattered across the country.
- U.K. Will Nab Spy Poisoning Suspects If They Leave Russia, Home Secretary Says RFE/RL 09 Sep 2018 -- Britain will catch two men accused of using the Novichok nerve agent in the English town of Salisbury if they ever step out of Russia, Home Secretary Sajid Javid has said.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Visits Kumsusan Palace of Sun KCNA 09 Sep 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, visited the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun on Sunday, the 70th founding anniversary of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- DPRK top leader Kim confirms readiness to visit Russia People's Daily 09 Sep 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), has confirmed his readiness to visit Russia, the RIA news agency quoted speaker of the upper house of the Russian parliament, Valentina Matviyenko, as saying after she met Kim in Pyongyang on Saturday.
- North Korea marks 70th anniv. with parade: No ICBMS, flowers abound Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- North Korea has marked the 70th anniversary of its establishment with massive ceremonies and a military parade featuring floats and flowers, but only displaying short-range battlefield rockets instead of the more controversial missiles that are said to be capable of targeting the US mainland.
- North Korea Celebrates 70th Anniversary -- Without ICBMs RFE/RL 09 Sep 2018 -- North Korea has marked the 70th anniversary of the founding of the country with a massive military parade, but it did not display its intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) that have become the subject of international sanctions.
- China Hopes US, N Korea to Stick to Denuclearization Commitments - Parl't Chair Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- China hopes that the United States and North Korea will stick to their commitments to achieve the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, and highly appreciates Pyongyang's efforts, Chairman of the Standing Committee of the Chinese National People's Congress Li Zhanshu said on Sunday.
- N Korea Holds Anniversary Parade Without ICBMs That Can Reach US - Reports Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- A toning down in the demonstration of the country's military might was not the only unusual thing during the anniversary parade. The DPRK's leader Kim Jong-un also reportedly didn't address the country.
- Trump Praises North Korea Parade Without Nuclear-Capable Missiles VOA 09 Sep 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said it was "a big and very positive statement" that North Korea staged its latest military parade without its usual display of missiles capable of striking the U.S.
- Iran Foreign Minister Zarif to Trump Administration: 'Make Up Your Mind' Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- Javad Zarif, Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran, has criticized US President Donald Trump's administration for its inconsistent behavior, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declared that Iran isn't doing enough to support the Palestinians.
- Dissent in Riyadh: Saudi Royals Bicker Over Yemen War Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- Riyadh's prosecution of its 2015 war in neighboring Yemen has seen some 10,000 killed and an estimated 5 million uprooted as Saudi Arabian citizens, military officials and now even members of the royal family increasingly decry the ongoing bloodshed.
- UN urges Egypt to overturn mass death sentences Press TV 09 Sep 2018 -- The United Nations' human rights chief has urged Egypt's appeals court to overturn mass death sentences handed down by a lower court to dozens of people for their participation in the 2013 Cairo sit-in protests.
- Egyptian death sentences a 'gross miscarriage of justice': UN human rights chief UN News 09 Sep 2018 -- An Egyptian court's confirmation of 75 death sentences on Saturday has been condemned by Michelle Bachelet, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, as being the result of an unfair trial.
- 'Get Out And Vote,' U.S. Senator Tells Macedonians Ahead Of Referendum RFE/RL 09 Sep 2018 -- During a visit to Skopje, U.S. Senator Ron Johnson has voiced support for Macedonia's upcoming referendum over former Yugoslav republic's official name change.
- Turkmenistan Eyes Supplies To Afghanistan, Pakistan With Refurbished Power Plant RFE/RL 09 Sep 2018 -- Gas-rich Turkmenistan has inaugurated a refurbished and expanded Soviet-era power plant that it hopes will help it boost exports to Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Madagascar: UN Secretary-General reaffirms support for electoral process UN News 09 Sep 2018 -- The Secretary-General of the United Nations, António Guterres, has welcomed the appointment on 7 September of Rivo Rakotovao, President of the Madagascar Senate, as acting president of the country.
- Through Regional Diplomacy, Eritrea Normalizes Ties with Djibouti VOA 09 Sep 2018 -- The Horn of Africa continued to resolve diplomatic impasses with the announcement Friday that Eritrea and Djibouti will normalize relations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|