30 July 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 30 Jul 2018 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS Targets in Iraq, Syria AFPS 30 Jul 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to pursue the lasting defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in designated parts of Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- NATO Stepping Forward on Training Mission to Iraq AFPS 30 Jul 2018 -- NATO's Allied Joint Force Command in Naples is stepping out smartly to establish the alliance training mission in Iraq, said Navy Adm. James Foggo, the commander of the Joint Force Command, in a recent interview.
- Meeting with US official ended with positive signals: Taliban Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- A Taliban official has said that a meeting with a high ranking US diplomat aimed at a ceasefire was concluded with "very positive signals."
- US Africa Command confirms deployment of armed drones in Niger Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- The Africa Command of the US military (AFRICOM) says US forces started deploying armed drones in the West African country of Niger earlier this year to launch attacks against purported militant hideouts.
- California Guard provides critical intelligence for Carr Fire Army News 30 Jul 2018 -- A critical aspect of fighting a raging wild fire, such as the Carr Fire in Northern California, comes from the skies and onto a sheet of paper.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Shanahan Discusses F/A-18s, Naval Aviation Readiness at Oceana AFPS 30 Jul 2018 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick M. Shanahan and Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer toured the Fleet Readiness Center Mid-Atlantic facilities here July 26 to discuss enhancing naval aviation readiness.
- CNO Strengthens Naval Partnerships in Chile NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson visited Chile, July 28, to meet with Chilean navy leadership, recognize the country's contribution to Pacific maritime security and discuss ways in which the U.S. and Chilean navies can continue to grow their partnership.
- HM 14 supports mine countermeasure ops during RIMPAC SOCAL NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- SAN DIEGO (July 27, 2018) Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron (HM) 14 conducted airborne mine countermeasure (MCM) operations during the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise in the Southern California (SOCAL) area of operations as part of Combined Task Force (CTF) 177.
- U.S. Navy Marine Mammal Program Performs Mine Clearance Operations During RIMPAC SOCAL 2018 NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- Mark 7 Marine Mammal System (MMS) bottlenose dolphins in the U.S. Navy's Marine Mammal Systems Program (MMSP) supported dynamic mine countermeasure (MCM) training during the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise in the Southern California (SOCAL) area of operations.
- Naval and Maritime Experts Train Together During RIMPAC for First Time NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- Naval and merchant maritime experts partnered together to deliver enhanced maritime domain awareness (MDA) for the first time in a Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise in 2018.
- Royal New Zealand Navy leads undersea mine countermeasures effort in a RIMPAC first NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- In a Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise first, Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) Lt. Cmdr. Benjamin Martin, commander, HMNZS Matataua, based in Auckland, New Zealand, served as the undersea mine countermeasures commander (UMCMC) in the Southern California (SOCAL) area of operations.
- Navy Fuels Army in Joint Exercise NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center Jacksonville (FLCJ) and U. S. Army 61st Quartermaster Battalion conducted QLLEX (Quartermaster Liquid Logistics Exercise) at Defense Fuel Supply Point (DFSP) Jacksonville, 17-25 July.
- NAVSUP FLC Bahrain Provides Night Operations Supply Support for USS IWO JIMA (LHD 7) NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) Fleet Logistics Center (FLC) Bahrain provided an overnight logistics support to the IWO JIMA (LHD 7) marking the first overnight port support replenishment in Bahrain, June 10.
- Complex Mine Warfare Training Complete in RIMPAC SOCAL NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- The tactical free play phase of Mine Warfare operations in the Southern California (SOCAL) area of operations in support of the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise finished here today. The tactical free play phase is one of the five phases of the exercise, and the most complex training for participating units in mine warfare operations.
- Fabrication Begins on Amphibious Assault Ship Richard M. McCool, Jr. NNS 30 Jul 2018 -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) started fabrication of the 13th LPD-17 San Antonio class ship, LPD-29, July 30, at its shipyard in Pascagoula, Mississippi. The start of fabrication signifies that the first 100 tons of steel have been cut.
- Russia's Kalibr-Equipped Corvettes Could Be Marketed to Pacific Region Countries Sputnik 30 Jul 2018 -- Russia's Project 22800 corvettes equipped with Kalibr cruise missiles could be marketed to the countries in the Pacific region, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Borisov told reporters.
- The main military-political department was created in the Ministry of Defense TASS 30 Jul 2018 -- The main military-political department was created in the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation. The former commander of the ZVO Kartapolov was appointed Deputy Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation - Chief of the Main Military-Political Directorate. The corresponding decree of the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin was published on the official portal of legal information.
- Japan May Withdraw PAC-3 Missile Interceptors As Korean Tensions Ease – Reports Sputnik 30 Jul 2018 -- The Japanese Defense Ministry is considering withdrawing on Monday surface-to-air Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) ballistic missile interceptors deployed in the country's north and west to counter possible missile launches from North Korea, the NHK broadcaster reported citing the ministry's officials.
- EU to Relocate Headquarters of Naval Forces From UK to Spain Due to Brexit Sputnik 30 Jul 2018 -- The European Union extended the mandate of an anti-piracy operation off the coast of Somalia until December 31, 2020, while deciding to transfer the operational headquarters of the EU maritime forces from the United Kingdom to Spain from March next year due to Brexit, the EU Council's press service reported.
- China Sending Triple the Number of Soldiers to SCO Military Drill Than India Sputnik 30 Jul 2018 -- The theme of the drill is "Preparation and Cooperation on Counter-terrorism among SCO Member States' Militaries." It is slated to be held from August 22 to 29 at Comprehensive Training Field No. 255 in Chebarkul, Chelyabinsk, Russia.
- Kuwait - Munitions DSCA 30 Jul 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Kuwait of three hundred (300) AGM-114R Hellfire missiles, and related equipment, for an estimated cost of $30.4 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Bahrain - Improved Target Acquisition System (ITAS) Launchers DSCA 30 Jul 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Bahrain of twenty-eight (28) TOW Improved Target Acquisition Systems (ITAS), and related equipment, for an estimated cost of $80 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- 30 July 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 30 Jul 2018
- UN receives 70 new allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse in three months UN News 30 Jul 2018 -- The United Nations received 70 new allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse across all its entities and implementing partners, between the beginning of April to the end of June this year, UN Deputy Spokesperson, Farhan Haq, announced on Monday, with 18 cases involving peacekeeping operations, and 25 from "agencies, funds and programmes."
- Yemenis kill 4 Saudi troopers in mortar attack on bases in kingdom's Najran, Jizan Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have killed four Saudi Soldiers after hitting two military bases in the kingdom's southern provinces of Jizan and Najran with mortar shells.
- Emirati regime too weak to start war against even one Yemeni village: Ansarullah Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- The spokesman for Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has dismissed the recent belligerent remarks by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Mohammed Gargash, saying the Abu Dhabi regime is too feeble to fight in a battle against the residents of a single village in Yemen let alone the entire Yemeni nation.
- Dozens dead as Hudaydah resists new Saudi offensive Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- Yemeni forces are battling mercenaries and Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi in Hudaydah where dozens have been killed in recent days.
- Syria national flag raised over al-Moseifera town in Daraa IRNA 30 Jul 2018 -- A popular gathering took place in Al-Moseifera town in Daraa eastern countryside celebrating the victories of the Syrian Arab Army, which is closer than ever to declaring the province free of terrorism.
- Syria delegation meets Russia, Iran delegations in Sochi IRNA 30 Jul 2018 -- The Syrian delegation to the tenth round of Astana format meeting headed by Dr. Bashar al-Jaafari held a meeting in Sochi on Monday with the Russian delegation headed by Russian President's Special Envoy for Syria, Alexander Lavrentiev.
- Russia, Iran, Turkey to discuss Syrian constitution, de-escalation zones in Sochi ISNA 30 Jul 2018 -- Representatives of the guarantor nations for the Syrian ceasefire (Russia, Iran and Turkey) will meet in Sochi on Monday.
- Russia, Iran, Turkey Meet In Sochi For Syria Discussions RFE/RL 30 Jul 2018 -- Meeting in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi, representatives of Russia, Iran, and Turkey have kicked off two days of talks on issues related to the war in Syria.
- Syrian peace talks begin in Sochi IRNA 30 Jul 2018 -- The 10th round of Syrian peace talks, initiated in Kazakhstan's Astana in 2016, began in Sochi on Monday.
- Terrorist attack kills 2, injures 6 in Syrian city of Aleppo IRNA 30 Jul 2018 -- Two civilians were killed and six more injured on Monday as a result of two shell attacks by terrorists on al-Hamadanieh neighborhood and the 3000 Apartments Project in Aleppo City, Syrian media outlet 'SANA' reported.
- Syrian army soldiers liberate town, villages in Dara'a province from Daesh Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- Syrian army troops have liberated yet another town in al-Yarmouk basin in the country's southwestern province of Dara'a, further tightening the noose around the last remnants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the area.
- Syrian troops fight Daesh remnants in Dara'a, Sweida Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- Syria's army and its allies are advancing against a remaining Daesh pocket in the southwestern Dara'a and Sweida provinces amid reports of Israeli reconnaissance aircraft loitering near the operation theater.
- Armed Groups in Syria's Southwest Surrender Tanks, Howitzers Sputnik 30 Jul 2018 -- Illegal armed groups from the southwestern de-escalation zone in Syria have surrendered three tanks, two howitzers and five anti-aircraft installations over the past 24 hours, the Russian Defense Ministry's Reconciliation Center in Syria said in a statement.
- Local aid workers in Syria are the 'backbone of response', says top UN official, urging better protection as fighting rages UN News 30 Jul 2018 -- Delivering life-saving assistance to millions of women, children and men in Syria, local aid workers need to be safer and better protected, said the top United Nations humanitarian official in the country on Monday.
- Turkish forces 'neutralize' 46 PKK terrorists in Turkey, northern Iraq Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- Turkish military forces have "neutralized" nearly four dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they carried out a string of counter-terrorism operations in the country's southeastern provinces as well as Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Pakistan's Khan Tells Indian PM Wars Can Breed Tragedies VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to Pakistan's prime minister-in-waiting, Imran Khan, Monday evening, congratulating him for his election victory and calling for both countries to "adopt a joint strategy" for improving bilateral ties.
- Somalia, Eritrea plan to establish relations, open embassies Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- The presidents of Somalia and Eritrea say they have agreed to establish diplomatic relations after more than a decade of animosity, the latest sign of lightning rapprochement in the restive Horn of Africa region.
- Former Trump Campaign Chair Heads to Trial VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- Paul Manafort will have his day in court this week.
- Manafort First Up As Russia Probe Reaches Trial RFE/RL 30 Jul 2018 -- The sprawling and politically charged probe into alleged Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election is about to open a significant new chapter with the trial of Paul Manafort, U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman.
- Trump Presses Demand for Wall Along US-Mexico Border VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump pressed Congress again Monday to approve the controversial construction of a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border to thwart illegal immigration.
- US Travel Ban Waiver Process is a Fraud, Lawsuit Claims VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- A group of 36 people have filed the first legal challenge to the Trump administration's travel ban after the U.S. Supreme Court upheld it in June.
- Navalny Aide, Others Released After Arrests At Moscow Protest RFE/RL 30 Jul 2018 -- Three people, including a top aide to Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny, were released from custody after being arrested as thousands of people protested in central Moscow for a second day against a controversial plan to raise the retirement age.
- Trump Says Ready to Talk Directly with Iran's President VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday made his most explicit statement yet that he is open to direct talks with Iran.
- Spokesman: No war expected between Iran, US IRNA 30 Jul 2018 -- Given the capability of Iran as a regional power and its courageous people who have proved themselves in the course of history, a war is not expected between Iran and the United States, Iran' Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qasemi said on Monday.
- Trump could not be trusted: Iran Foreign Ministry IRNA 30 Jul 2018 -- Iran Foreign Ministry spokesman on Monday denounced US President Donald Trump's approach to generalize his views on global issues.
- Iran says talks with 'today's US', impossible IRNA 30 Jul 2018 -- There is no possibility for holding talks or having interaction with 'today's US', spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry announced here on Monday.
- Iran can weather U.S. sanctions: FM People's Daily 30 Jul 2018 -- The Iranians can pass through the current "critical" stage in the face of revamped U.S. sanctions, Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday.
- European package to save JCPOA not ideal but good start Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says the European package to save the 2015 nuclear deal may not be an ideal one but it could be an opening for the future.
- Trump ready to meet Rouhani at 'any time' and with 'no precondition' Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump says he is ready to meet his Iranian counterpart, Hassan Rouhani, "any time they want to."
- Iran says impossible to engage with current US govt. Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- Iran says it is impossible to engage in talks with the US under the current administration which has adopted a fiercely hostile policy toward the Islamic Republic.
- Iran Currency Hits New Lows Before New US Sanctions Take Effect VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- Iran's currency hit new lows with just under a week before new U.S. economic sanctions are due to take effect on August 4, despite the appointment of a new central bank governor and a new economic team.
- Xi's visit deepens South-South cooperation, upholds multilateralism People's Daily 30 Jul 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping is leaving Mauritius on Saturday, the last stop of his visit to the Middle East and Africa.
- China's door of dialogue with US on trade remains open: FM Wang Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi says his country's door of dialogue with the United States on resolving bilateral trade disputes remains open, reiterating that Beijing is not after a trade war with Washington.
- China Launches Twin Satellites With Single Carrier Rocket - Reports Sputnik 30 Jul 2018 -- China launched twin satellites into space with a single carrier rocket on Sunday, Chinese media reported.
- Taiwan will never back down under pressure: president CNA 30 Jul 2018 -- Taiwan will never back down on its democratic way of life in the face of relentless pressure and threats from China, but will continue to contribute to regional peace and stability, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Monday.
- MOFA rebuts rumor that ROC passports not recognized by airlines CNA 30 Jul 2018 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) Monday rebutted an Internet rumor that Republic of China passports are no longer recognized by international airlines due to Chinese pressure.
- Two Taiwanese indicted for violating national security laws CNA 30 Jul 2018 -- Two Taiwanese members of a Chinese university alumni association were indicted by prosecutors Monday on charges of violating national security laws, according to the Taipei District Prosecutors Office.
- Iraq says Saudi Arabia to sell it power after protests Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has agreed to construct a solar power plant and sell electricity to Iraq, which is grappling with protests over power shortages.
- Greek Court Approves Moscow's Second Request To Extradite Russian Cybercrime Suspect RFE/RL 30 Jul 2018 -- A Greek court has approved a supplementary request from Moscow to extradite a Russian cybercrime suspect, who is also wanted in France and the United States.
- Cambodian ruling party wins general election People's Daily 30 Jul 2018 -- The ruling Cambodian People's Party (CPP) of Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen won Sunday's general election, according to National Election Committee (NEC)'s preliminary results released on Monday.
- EU says Cambodia election 'lacks credibility, genuine competition' Press TV 30 Jul 2018 -- The European Union says the general elections in Cambodia that handed the country's strongman Prime Minister Hun Sen full control of parliament lacked credibility, as it failed to reflect the will of people in the Southeast Asian country.
- Macedonian Lawmakers Set September 30 For Referendum On Name-Change Deal RFE/RL 30 Jul 2018 -- Macedonia's parliament has approved a government proposal setting September 30 as the date for a referendum on a deal with Greece to rename the country.
- Macedonia Sets Referendum Date on Renaming Country VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- Macedonia's parliament has set September 30 as the date for a referendum on changing the country's name to North Macedonia.
- Mali Says More Than 700 Polling Stations Inoperable During Election VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- Officials in Mali say more than 700 polling stations were not able to operate during Sunday's presidential election because of attacks or threats of violence.
- Mali Presidential Election Marred by Violence VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- Malians went to the polls Sunday, in what's widely expected to be the first round of Mali's presidential elections. The atmosphere was calm in the capital but instances of violence were reported in other parts of the country.
- Excitement, Optimism as Zimbabwe Holds Historic Election VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- Zimbabweans voted Monday in a pivotal election that could, many hope, turn around their nation's shattered economy and tarnished reputation after 38 years of iron-fisted rule under former leader Robert Mugabe.
- Comoros Islanders Weigh Controversial Referendum VOA 30 Jul 2018 -- A controversial referendum Monday in the Comoros could scrap the tiny southeast African country's power rotation system and end the single-term limit for the presidency.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|