24 July 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 24 Jul 2018 [PDF]
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing by French General Parisot via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 24 Jul 2018 -- Presenter: French Brig. Gen. Frederic Parisot, director, Civil-Military Operations, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve
- Coalition Strikes Kill High-Value ISIS Members AFPS 24 Jul 2018 -- Coalition strikes have killed six Islamic State of Iraq and Syria leaders and planners since April 24, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials announced today.
- Progress Continues in Defeating ISIS, Coalition Official Says AFPS 24 Jul 2018 -- The coalition and its partnered forces in Iraq and Syria continue to make progress in the effort to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the coalition's senior French representative said today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Spearhead Deploys, Marking the Start of Southern Partnership Station NNS 24 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. Navy deployed USNS Spearhead (T-EPF 1) in support of Southern Partnership Station (SPS) 2018 to the Caribbean, Central and South America to conduct subject matter expert exchanges and water well construction projects from July to October 2018.
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group Returns From Patrol NNS 24 Jul 2018 -- The Ronald Reagan Strike Group returned to Yokosuka, Japan, July 24, following a patrol in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of operations.
- Armor comes back to Knox Army News 24 Jul 2018 -- Soldiers with the Ohio Army National Guard's 1st Battalion, 145th Armored Regiment off-loaded almost 30 military tanks and fighting vehicles that arrived by train July 19, 2018.
- No F-35s sales to Turkey, limited support for Saudi war on Yemen: US defense bill Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- US Congress is aiming to block sales of F-35 joint strike fighters to Turkey and limit Washington's support for Saudi war on Yemen in the final version of the fiscal 2019 defense bill.
- Qatar Announces Start of Expansion of Airbase Hosting Over 10,000 US Troops Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- Qatari Defense Minister Khalid bin Mohamed Al Attiyah on Tuesday announced the beginning of the expansion of the Al Udeid Air Base, which is hosting more than 10,000 US and coalition forces.
- U.S., Australia Hold Consultations on Indo-Pacific Defense, Economic Development AFPS 24 Jul 2018 -- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and Defense Secretary James N. Mattis hosted Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop and Defense Minister Marise Payne July 23-24 for the annual Australia-U.S. Ministerial Consultations at Stanford University's Hoover Institution in Palo Alto, California.
- Talks Bolster U.S.-Australia Security Relationship, Mattis Says AFPS 24 Jul 2018 -- The 28th talks between the United States and Australia were an excellent opportunity to bolster the security relationship and reaffirm the steadfast alliance and close collaboration between the two nations, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis said today.
- Press Availability With Secretary of Defense James Mattis, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, and Australian Defense Minister Marise Payne US Dept. of State 24 Jul 2018 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Joint Statement Australia-U.S. Ministerial Consultations 2018 US Dept. of State 24 Jul 2018 -- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and Secretary of Defense James Mattis hosted Minister for Foreign Affairs Julie Bishop and Minister for Defence Marise Payne on July 23-24 for the annual Australia-U.S. Ministerial Consultations (AUSMIN) at Stanford University's Hoover Institution in Palo Alto, California.
- 2018 Australia-U.S. Ministerial Consultations US Dept. of State 24 Jul 2018 -- Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo, Defense Secretary James Mattis, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, and Australian Defence Minister Marise Payne met at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California July 23-24, 2018. The Secretaries and Ministers noted a number of initiatives through which the people of the United States and Australia, close friends and partners for more than a century, will work together to build a secure, prosperous future.
- Joint UK-Qatari Typhoon squadron stands up as defence relationship deepens UK MOD 24 Jul 2018 -- Defence Secretary and Amir of Qatar meet at Horse Guards
- UK Ministry of Defense Spends $148Mln to Scrap Planned 'Smart' Missile System Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- The ministry says it constantly reviews its investments, reacting to how a "situation changes." A ministry spokesperson also noted that the development of "cutting-edge military equipment" generates "billions" for the UK economy.
- Defence Minister outlines progress on building a Better Defence Estate UK MOD 24 Jul 2018 -- Good progress is being made on the MOD's plans for more modern and efficient military bases, Defence Minister Tobias Ellwood has told Parliament.
- Indian frigate docks at Bandar Abbas ISNA 24 Jul 2018 -- Indian Navy Talwar-class frigate INS Tarkash docked at Iranian Navy's first region in the port city of Bandar Abbas on the Persian Gulf.
- US Senate Committee Proposes CAATSA Waiver for India Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- The proposed modifications to the US annual defense bill are intended to prevent US sanctions on India, which is planning to buy five S-400 Triumf air defense systems for around USD $4.5 billion from Russia.
- 2 Iranian missile boats leave Iran for Azerbaijan ISNA 24 Jul 2018 -- Two Iranian missile boats, Paykan and Joshan left Iran's northern coasts for Baku during a ceremony to attend amphibious warfare and missile boats competitions in Russia's International Army Games.
- Crushing response awaiting US anti-Iran threats: Military chief Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri says the country's Armed Forces are highly prepared to give a "crushing response to any threat at any level" against the Islamic Republic.
- IRGC Commander Vows 'Strong, Unimaginable' Response if US Threatens Tehran Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- Over the last week, leaders from Iran and the United States have warned each other against taking possible aggressive moves, particularly concerning an oil trade blockade.
- South Korean Air Force F-35A pilot takes first flight AFNS 24 Jul 2018 -- The first South Korean Air Force F-35A pilot soared into history when he took to the skies July 20, at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona.
- South Korea to reduce deployment along North's border Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- The South Korean Defense Ministry has announced that it plans to provisionally reduce guard posts and equipment along the demilitarized zone separating North and South Koreas, amid a de-escalation of tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- S. Korea Considers Withdrawing Some Forces from Demilitarized Zone VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- South Korea is considering withdrawing some forces from the demilitarized zone separating it from North Korea in the first step towards transforming the area into a "peace zone."
- Taiwan committed to increasing defense spending: president CNA 24 Jul 2018 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) pledged Tuesday that Taiwan will continue to increase defense spending, develop its indigenous defense industry and work with like-minded partners to contribute to regional peace and security.
- U.S. encourages Taiwan to increase defense budget CNA 24 Jul 2018 -- The United States Department of State on Monday encouraged Taiwan to increase its defense budget to a level that corresponds to the security challenges it is faced with, after Taiwan called for the U.S.'s continuous support in the face of China's growing military threat.
- U.S. defense authorization bill supports Taiwan's self defense CNA 24 Jul 2018 -- The United States Congress has reached a consensus on an annual defense authorization bill that will include a provision expressing support for the strengthening of Taiwan's self-defense capabilities.
- US to Temporarily Freeze F-35 Transfers to Turkey Amid S-400 Row Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- The conflict between Washington and Ankara over the latter's acquisition of Russian S-400 air defense systems has been a major stumbling block to Turkey obtaining F-35 jets that it has already paid for.
- Department Press Briefing - July 24, 2018 US Dept. of State 24 Jul 2018
- 24 July 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 24 Jul 2018
- Yemeni snipers shoot dead 7 Saudi mercenaries in Hudaydah, Jizan Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- At least seven Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have been killed when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched separate attacks in Yemen's strategic western coastal province of Hudaydah and Saudi Arabia's southwestern border region of Jizan.
- Humanitarian organizations warn: Yemen on brink of famine Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Humanitarian organizations have warned that Yemen is close to famine following a 25 percent increase in severe hunger and Saudi Arabia's assault on the key port city Hudaydah.
- Intl. Coalition: Islamic State Controls Just 300 Kilometers in Syria VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- The Islamic State terror group has lost control of all but around 300 square kilometers in Syria, anti-IS coalition officials told reporters Tuesday.
- Syrian army raids Daesh sites in Yarmouk Basin, Daraa IRNA 24 Jul 2018 -- The Syrian Arab Army continued its operations against Daesh (ISIS) terrorists in the area of Yarmouk Basin to the southwest of Daraa, SANA reported.
- IDF Shoots Down Syrian Sukhoi Warplane That Allegedly Violated Israel's Airspace Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- Just a day before, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said that the David's Sling air defense system had intercepted two rockets after they triggered warning sirens in the disputed Golan Heights.
- Israeli Military Downs Syrian Warplane VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- The Israeli military said it shot down a Syrian warplane Tuesday after it entered Israeli airspace.
- Israeli military targets Syrian fighter jet over occupied Golan Heights Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Israeli military forces have targeted a Syrian Air Force fighter jet over the Golan Heights as it was flying in Syria's airspace and conducting a series of airstrikes against the positions of foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the occupied territories.
- Russia's Lavrov meets with Israel's Netanyahu for talks on Syria Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has held a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the occupied territories to discuss the situation in Syria, including Iran's counter-terrorism mission there.
- Russia Offers To Keep Pro-Iran Forces 100 Kilometers From Israeli Border RFE/RL 24 Jul 2018 -- Russia has offered to keep pro-Iranian forces in Syria about 100 kilometers from the border with Israel as part of an agreement with the United States and Israel to help guarantee Israel's security, media are reporting.
- Israeli Air Defenses Reportedly Failed to Intercept Soviet-Era Syrian Missiles Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- The David's Sling missile-defense system was designed to intercept aerial threats in close to medium ranges, partially overlapping with the Iron Dome functionality.
- UN Security Council urges Myanmar to facilitate safe return of Rohingya Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council has called on Myanmar to create the right conditions for the safe return of tens of thousands of Rohingya Muslim refugees to their home country from neighboring Bangladesh.
- China, Bhutan Resume Border Talks a Year After Doklam Spat Involving India Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- China and Bhutan share a 470 kilometer long border. Territorial disputes have been a source of potential conflict, the most contested area being the Doklam plateau, where China allegedly tried to build a road last year, resulting in military intervention by India, Bhutan's all-weather friend.
- UN, Egypt help avert another Israel-Palestine war in Gaza that was 'minutes away', Security Council hears UN News 24 Jul 2018 -- Intense diplomatic efforts by the United Nations and Egypt have helped avoid another Israeli-Palestinian war in Gaza that appeared just "minutes away" over the past weekend, a senior UN official said on Tuesday.
- Haley: 'Talk is Cheap' on Palestinian Situation VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley has blasted Arab and Muslim states for offering rhetoric on the Palestinian situation while not taking more concrete action to alleviate humanitarian suffering and support the peace process.
- Somali Army: 87 Militants Killed as Attack Repulsed VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- Somali soldiers repelled an attack by al-Shabab militants on a military base in the Lower Juba region Monday, though the militants temporarily seized a section of the camp, according to the government.
- UN Launches $22M Appeal to Tackle Ethiopian Displacement Crisis VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- The U.N. migration agency is launching an appeal for $22.2 million to provide life-saving assistance for hundreds of thousands of people displaced by communal violence in southern Ethiopia.
- Trump 'Concerned' Russia Will Push For Democrats In November Elections RFE/RL 24 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he believes Moscow will try to influence November congressional elections in favor of the Democrats and not his fellow Republicans, although the U.S. intelligence community has concluded that Russia tried to help Trump win the 2016 poll.
- Trump 'Very Concerned' Russia Will Try to Meddle in US Midterms to Help Dems Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- During the press conference following the meeting between the US and Russian presidents in Helsinki, Trump revealed that Vladimir Putin "gave his word" that Russia had never meddled in the US elections and will never do so in the future. The upcoming mid-term elections will take place in the US in November 2018. li>
- Trump: Russia Will Support Democrats in US Congressional Elections VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump contended on Twitter Tuesday that Russia "will be pushing very hard for the Democrats" in November's congressional elections, against his favored Republican candidates.
- White House Strikes Back Against Critics Of Trump Stance On Russia RFE/RL 24 Jul 2018 -- The White House is threatening to retaliate against six prominent critics of U.S. President Donald Trump's stance on Russia by revoking their government security clearances, drawing accusations that Trump is abusing his office by trying to stifle dissent.
- Trump threatens to revoke security clearances of Obama-era officials Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has threatened to revoke the security clearances of at least six top national security and intelligence officials of the era of former President Barack Obama who have been critical of the administration.
- Report: Russian Hackers Came Close To Causing U.S. Blackouts Last Year RFE/RL 24 Jul 2018 -- Hackers working for Russia claimed "hundreds of victims" last year in a major, long-running campaign that enabled them to gain control over some U.S. electric utilities, where they could have caused blackouts, the Wall Street Journal is reporting.
- Russian Spies Hide in Plain Sight VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- In the pre-Internet era, spies faced more challenges than now when trying to infiltrate Western political circles in order to gather information, identify potential recruits, enlist the assistance of sympathizers and mount active operations, like meddling in a foreign country's election.
- Russian Scientist Jailed as Moscow Probes Hypersonic Missile Secrets Leak Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- A scientist at Russia's space organization Roscosmos, 74-year-old Viktor Kudryavtsev, has been imprisoned in a Moscow jail run by the Federal Security Service (FSB), which has been been investigating a "treasonous" leak of hypersonic missile secrets to Western intelligence agencies.
- Amesbury Man Confesses He Gave 'Perfume Bottle' With 'Nerve Agent' to Girlfriend Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- The couple from Amesbury – Charlie Rowley and the now-deceased Dawn Sturgess – was said to have picked up a perfume bottle allegedly containing a nerve agent, with Sturgess ostensibly spraying the substance on her wrists.
- UK and Ecuador deal to evict Assange from embassy "imminent" amid US pressure Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Ecuador is planning to withdraw asylum protection for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and evict him from its UK embassy in London amid "significant pressure" from the United States, according to reports.
- Satellite Images Show North Korea Dismantling Ballistic Missile Facility RFE/RL 24 Jul 2018 -- Satellite images indicate North Korea has begun dismantling key facilities at a site used to develop engines for ballistic missiles, in a first step toward fulfilling a pledge made to U.S. President Donald Trump, a Washington think tank said on July 23.
- N Korea Dismantling Facilities at Intercontinental Missile Launch Site – Reports Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- North Korea began to dismantle facilities at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station in the province of North Pyongan where the intercontinental ballistic missile Hwasong-15 was tested, the 38 North media outlet reported Tuesday.
- Trump 'Appreciates' Signs N. Korea Dismantling Launch Site VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- President Donald Trump on Tuesday praised recent satellite images showing North Korea beginning the dismantling of key facilities at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station on the country's northwest coast.
- Monitoring Group: N. Korea Dismantling Key Parts of Launch Site VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- The U.S.-based North Korea monitoring group 38 North said recent satellite images show North Korea has begun dismantling key facilities at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station on the country's northwest coast.
- Declaration of Termination of War Is First Process for Peace: KCNA Commentary KCNA 24 Jul 2018 -- There are growing voices demanding the adoption of declaration on the termination of war in south Korea.
- Turkey says rejected US call to abide by anti-Iran sanctions Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has described Washington's sanctions against Iran as inappropriate, saying Ankara has told US officials that it will not abide by the bans.
- Turkey Refuses to Join US Sanctions on Iran, Calls Them 'Mistake' Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- The United States has been ramping up pressure on countries around the world in an effort to bring Iran's oil revenue "down to zero."
- Ankara Rules Out Compliance with US Sanctions on Iran VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Tuesday ruled out his country's compliance with U.S. sanctions on Iran, a move that threatens to exacerbate tensions between the NATO allies.
- US launches psychological warfare against Iran: FM spokesman ISNA 24 Jul 2018 -- Tehran has dismissed Washington's latest tirade of threats against Iran as mere "psychological warfare," saying the US administration's "excessive anger" stems from its increasing isolation on the global stage.
- Iran Vows 'Equal Countermeasures' If U.S. Moves To Block Oil Exports RFE/RL 24 Jul 2018 -- Iran will respond with equal countermeasures if the United States moves to block its oil exports, the Foreign Ministry says.
- Iran's Growing Cyber Capabilities Pose Danger to German Firms - Federal Intel Sputnik 24 Jul 2018 -- Germany's BfV domestic intelligence agency has released an annual report saying that the country is facing a steady increase in cyberattacks that originate from Iran.
- China refutes U.S. allegations of currency manipulation People's Daily 24 Jul 2018 -- China on Monday said it has no intention to spur exports through competitive devaluation of its currency, rejecting the United States' accusations of manipulating the exchange rate of the yuan.
- China, Rwanda vow to write new chapter in bilateral ties People's Daily 24 Jul 2018 -- Visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping and his Rwandan counterpart, Paul Kagame, agreed here Monday to further promote bilateral cooperation in a bid to bring more benefits to the Chinese, Rwandan and African people.
- Hundreds of Candidates with Terror Ties Running in Pakistan Elections VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- Voters across Pakistan will go to the polls Wednesday to elect a new civilian government. The country's election commission disqualified many candidates on various grounds, including allegations of corruption.
- Pakistan's army deploys thousands of troops ahead of elections Press TV 24 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan's military has deployed hundreds of thousands of troops to oversee polling stations across the country ahead of the July 25 elections.
- 'Terrorist' Turned Candidate: Pakistani Extremists Contest National Elections RFE/RL 24 Jul 2018 -- Chaudhry Saeed Gujjar is a member of the Milli Muslim League, a radical Islamist party blacklisted by the United States as a terrorist group.
- Pakistan Votes Wednesday Amid Crowded Field VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan has 200 million people, 100 million of whom are registered to vote for the next government on Wednesday. The election is being held after a contentious campaign rife with allegations of pre-poll rigging and covert interference by the country's powerful military establishment and the judiciary.
- Former Envoys See US-South Korea Alliance Surviving Denuclearization VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- Two former U.S. ambassadors to South Korea say they are confident that the security alliance between Washington and Seoul will remain in place and even grow stronger if North Korea fulfills its promises to end its nuclear programs and reduce tensions with the South.
- Ebola outbreak in DR Congo declared over, now let's tackle other health challenges: WHO chief UN News 24 Jul 2018 -- The Ebola virus outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has been declared over, thanks to a concerted national and international effort to contain the threat, the UN's top health official said on Tuesday.
- This Time, Ebola Outbreak's Quick End Speaks of Progress Made VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- The World Health Organization says the rapid, aggressive and coordinated health response to the Democratic Republic of Congo's latest Ebola outbreak is largely responsible for quickly containing the deadly virus. WHO and Congo's Ministry of Health have officially declared the end of the ninth outbreak of Ebola in the DRC in the capital Kinshasa.
- Zimbabwe Opposition Alleges Plan to Skew Election VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- Zimbabwe's main opposition party has accused the country's electoral commission of planning a "manipulated" general election on July 30.
- Tensions Rise in Zimbabwe as Presidential Elections Near VOA 24 Jul 2018 -- The U.N. Human Rights Office is warning about rising tensions as presidential and parliamentary elections draw near in Zimbabwe. The OHCHR is also appealing to the government and all political parties to ensure that elections are peaceful.
- Michigan Man Charged With Providing Material Support To ISIS US Dept. of Justice 24 Jul 2018 -- In a criminal indictment unsealed in the Eastern District of Michigan today, Ibraheem Izzy Musaibli, 28, of Dearborn, Michigan, was charged with providing and attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), a designated foreign terrorist organization.
- New York Man Pleads Guilty To Attempting To Provide Material Support To ISIS US Dept. of Justice 24 Jul 2018 -- Ali Saleh, 25, of Queens, New York, pleaded guilty today to two counts of attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), a designated foreign terrorist organization.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|