27 May 2018 Military News
- Top Afghan Security Officials Visit Pakistan for Crucial Talks VOA 27 May 2018 -- A high-level Afghan delegation began a daylong official visit to neighboring Pakistan Sunday to discuss bilateral matters, border management and regional security.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US, Singapore armies conducted Tiger Balm live fire exercise Army News 27 May 2018 -- U.S. and Singapore troops conducted a combined arms live fire exercise (CALFEX) at the Battle Area Complex, here, on May 23-24, 2018.
- Russia's Pacific Fleet Warships Arrive in Thailand With Friendly Visit Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- A Russian Pacific Fleet detachment comprising Admiral Vinogradov and Admiral Tributs anti-submarine ships, and accompanied by Pechenga tanker, arrived on Sunday in Thailand with a friendly visit, a Sputnik correspondent reported.
- Russian Navy to Maintain Balanced Presence in Mediterranean - Military Official Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- The Russian Navy will maintain the composition of its grouping, permanently stationed in the Mediterranean Sea, at a balanced and efficient level, Russian Navy Commander Adm. Vladimir Korolev said on Sunday.
- German Newspaper Reveals Disastrous State of Bundeswehr Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- The German army has more problems than previously reported, as the country's defense minister, Ursula von der Leyen, had allegedly tried to hide the malfunctions of the military equipment, according to reports.
- UK military contractors selling Israel record amounts of arms: Report Press TV 27 May 2018 -- A new report has revealed that British military contractors are selling record amounts of weapons and ammunition to the Israeli regime, in the wake of an announcement by the Kensington Palace that Prince William would represent the UK government on a visit to the occupied territories next month.
- UK Sales of Arms to Israel Hit Record in 2017 - Reports Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- United Kingdom's defense contractors supplied Israel with record amounts of arms in 2017, The Guardian newspaper reported Sunday.
- Turkey would purchase Russian Su-57 warplanes if US bars sale of F-35 jets: Report Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Turkey would likely opt to purchase Russian Sukhoi Su-57 twin-engine warplanes in place of US F-35 single-engine stealth fighter jets if Washington suspends the delivery of the latter in response to Ankara's sale of S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems from Russia.
- Turkey May Buy Russian Su-57 Jets, If Delivery of F-35 Jets Suspended - Reports Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- Ankara is likely to buy Russian Su-57 fighter jets if Washington decides to suspend the delivery of F-35 jets in response to the purchase of Russian S-400 anti-missile systems, the Yeni Safak newspaper reported Sunday.
- China dispatches warships, scrambles fighter jets to ward off US ships Press TV 27 May 2018 -- China has dispatched warships and scrambled fighter jets to ward off US two US-guided-missile destroyers which sailed close to disputed South China Sea islands.
- US Navy warships sail near South China Sea islands Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Two US Navy warships have sailed near South China Sea islands, which are claimed by China, according to two US officials.
- US Warships Enter Disputed South China Sea Waters, Beijing Slams Move Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- China and several other countries have been claiming ownership over multiple islands and islets in the South China Sea, with Beijing deploying numerous military forces and vehicles to the region in a bid to secure its claims. US naval forces have been working to circumvent its attempts to secure positions in the region by conducting FONOPs.
- 5 civilians killed in Saudi airstrike on Sana'a IRNA 27 May 2018 -- Saudi jet fighters bombed the Yemeni capital of Sana'a Saturday, killing five people and wounding 13 others.
- Saudi Arabia says 2 soldiers killed on Yemen border Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Saudi Arabia says two of its troops have been killed in battle against Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah fighters on the kingdom's southern border.
- Syria to head UN Conference on Disarmament IRNA 27 May 2018 -- The Syrian Arab Republic will assume the presidency of the United Nations Conference on Disarmament from Monday, May 28 till June 26 for the third time since its accession in 1996.
- Russian servicemen killed in Syria after shelling carried out by militants IRNA 27 May 2018 -- Shelling, which was carried out by militants in Syria's Deir ez-Zor, has left two Russian military advisers dead and five more servicemen injured, the Russian Ministry of Defense stated on Sunday.
- 900 bodies found in mass graves in Syria IRNA 27 May 2018 -- Reconstruction committee of Raqqa in Syria announced on Saturday that 900 dead bodies have been found in mass graves since the beginning of 2018.
- Syrian authorities continue to sweep northern Homs IRNA 27 May 2018 -- The competent authorities continue to settle the status of militants in Homs northern countryside and Hama southern countryside who refused to leave with terrorists and preferred to stay and settle their status.
- Iran to maintain role in Syria, support resistance: Shamkhani ISNA 27 May 2018 -- Iran's top security official says the country will maintain its advisory role in Syria and continue support for resistance groups after the US demanded that Tehran put a halt to those activities.
- Four Russian servicemen killed in militant shelling in eastern Syria Press TV 27 May 2018 -- The Russian Defense Ministry says four of its servicemen have lost their lives after foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants launched an attack against an artillery battery of the Syrian army in the country's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Four Russian Soldiers Killed In Syria RFE/RL 27 May 2018 -- Four Russian soldiers have been killed in fighting in eastern Syria, Russia's Defense Ministry said, although a war monitor said the death toll was believed to be twice as high.
- Russian Servicemen Killed in Syria After Shelling Carried Out by Militants - MoD Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- Shelling, which was carried out by militants in Syria's Deir ez-Zor, has left two Russian military advisers dead and five more servicemen injured, the Russian Ministry of Defense stated on Sunday.
- Top official: Iran to maintain role in Syria, support resistance Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Iran's top security official says the country will maintain its advisory role in Syria and continue support for resistance groups after the US demanded that Tehran put a halt to those activities.
- Iran to Maintain Advisory Role in Syria Despite US' Demands to Withdraw Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani said that the country would preserve its "advisory presence" in Syria and proceed with support for resistance groups after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pressed a 12-point ultimatum against Tehran.
- Libya's rival groups to hold fresh talks in France Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Libya's main rival political groups are set to meet in the French capital, Paris, on Tuesday in an attempt to resolve disputes and sketch a road map to reunite the nation.
- Rohingyas in Bangladesh face death in upcoming monsoons Press TV 27 May 2018 -- With the monsoon season approaching in Bangladesh, the lives of close to one million Rohingya Muslim refugees there are at stake as they are living in ill-equipped camps and dire humanitarian conditions.
- Ukraine Charges Moscow Has Brought Up To 1 Million Russians Into Crimea RFE/RL 27 May 2018 -- Russia has relocated up to 1 million people to the annexed Ukrainian region of Crimea, according to Mustafa Dzhemilev, the long-time leader of the Crimean Tatars and Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko's envoy for Crimean Tatar affairs.
- Israeli army to demolish 20 Palestinian homes in occupied West Bank Press TV 27 May 2018 -- The Israeli army has threatened to demolish nearly two dozen Palestinian homes in the northeastern part of the West Bank as the Tel Aviv regime continues with its land expropriation policies in the occupied territories and violation of international law.
- Palestine's Abbas' stay in hospital extended for over a week Press TV 27 May 2018 -- President of the Palestinian Authority (PA) Mahmoud Abbas is to stay in hospital for at least another week as doctors say he is being treated for a lung infection.
- Dozens of Cameroon Youth Killed in South VOA 27 May 2018 -- English-speaking Cameroonians are burying 30 members of their community who were killed Thursday in the northwestern town of Pinyin. The government has not issued a statement but residents say the military stormed a local hotel, claiming some people had been taken hostage by suspected armed separatists fighting for the Independence of the English-speaking regions of Cameroon. The residents say the military then killed everyone they saw.
- Dozens killed in Cameroon's separatist Anglophone region Press TV 27 May 2018 -- More than two dozen people have been killed in one of Cameroon's restive Anglophone regions, in what appears to have been an operation by government forces against alleged separatists.
- India Slams Pakistan Over Executive Order for Part of Kashmir Area - Ministry Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- The Indian authorities on Sunday summoned Deputy High Commissioner of Pakistan to India Syed Haider Shah to convey New Delhi's protest against Pakistan's executive order for the region of Gilgit-Baltistan, claimed by India, the Indian Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement.
- French FM Says To Step Up Efforts To Solve Karabakh Conflict RFE/RL 27 May 2018 -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian says his country plans to intensify efforts to find a solution to the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Russia's Gazprom Says Signs TurkStream Protocol With Ankara RFE/RL 27 May 2018 -- Russian state-owned energy giant Gazprom says it has signed a protocol with the Turkish government on the land-based part of the transit leg of the TurkStream gas pipeline.
- Russia's Elected Mayors - a Dying Breed VOA 27 May 2018 -- Russian democracy hit a grim milestone this week when Evgeny Roizman, the independent-minded mayor of Russia's fourth largest city of Yekaterinburg, resigned from his post in protest.
- Trump Sees 'Brilliant' Economic Future For North Korea, Upbeat On Summit RFE/RL 27 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he sees "brilliant potential" in North Korea as he confirmed that a team from the United States had arrived in the North "to make arrangements for the summit."
- US, North Korean Officials Hold Talks on Possible Trump-Kim Summit VOA 27 May 2018 -- U.S. and North Korean officials met at the demilitarized zone Sunday to talk about a possible summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jung Un.
- South Korea Urges North to Salvage Nuclear Summit with US VOA 27 May 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said he urged North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to directly engage with Washington to salvage the June 12 nuclear summit with the U.S., when the two leaders held a surprise second inter-Korean summit Saturday.
- Pre-advance team for possible Trump-Kim meeting to leave for Singapore as scheduled: White House Global Times 27 May 2018 -- The White House said on Saturday that a preparation team for a possible meeting between US President Donald Trump and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s top leader Kim Jong Un will leave for Singapore as scheduled.
- U.S. Media Warned against Misleading Public Opinion KCNA 27 May 2018 -- Fox News TV, CBS and CNN of the U.S. recently let U.S. high-ranking officials appear in their programs and quoted them as saying about the DPRK-U.S. talks. And they were as impudent as to make rubbish that if the DPRK meets the requirements of the U.S., it can get "large-scale non-governmental economic aid" and that it should show that the denuclearization goes in a verifiable and irreversible way.
- American, North Korean officials meet for talks on Kim-Trump summit: State Department Press TV 27 May 2018 -- American and North Korean officials have held talks at the border between North and South Korea amid preparations for a summit between the two countries' leaders, the US State Department has said.
- Trump, North Korea Signal June 12 Summit Could Go Ahead RFE/RL 27 May 2018 -- A small group of U.S. officials has crossed into North Korea for talks regarding a possible summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- US Delegation Visits North Korea to Prepare for Trump-Kim Summit – Reports Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- The White House delegation has arrived in North Korea in order to hold talks on the preparation for the highly anticipated summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, The Washington Post reported on Sunday, citing sources.
- Trump Reaffirms Commitment to Meet Kim Jong-un in Singapore Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- According to Reuters, US President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he was still looking at June 12 summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- Pyongyang, Seoul To Hold Top-Level Talks June 1 - Reports Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- According to Reuters, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, during "in-depth discussions" with his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in, agreed to hold top-level talks between the two countries on June 1.
- Fourth North-South Summit Held KCNA 27 May 2018 -- The historic fourth north-south summit meeting and talks took place at the Thongil House in the north side area of Panmunjom on May 26, Juche 107 (2018) all of a sudden.
- Iran to continue if talks with Europe on right track IRNA 27 May 2018 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Iran will continue negotiations with Europe until talks are on the right track.
- Zarif: US new strategy toward Iran to make America more isolated IRNA 27 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the US new strategies toward Iran will make the country more isolated.
- Iran not to yield to US excessive demands: Iranian security official IRNA 27 May 2018 -- Recently, the US's blusters have multiplied, but Iran won't yield to their excessive demands, said the Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council.
- Two-fold increase in post-JCPOA oil export IRNA 27 May 2018 -- Iran's crude oil exports jumped from 1.130 million barrels per day in 2012 to 2.150 million bpd in2017 following a nuclear deal Iran signed with world powers in 2015.
- Iranian President says steps taken for JCPOA's survival positive so far ISNA 27 May 2018 -- Iranian President described the dignity and independence of the country the results of the Late Imam Khomeini's (RA) management method and said: "Constructive interaction with the world, economic calm and helping the disadvantaged are among the government's plans and in line with management in the Islamic system".
- Iran warns will stop negotiations if Europe wastes time Press TV 27 May 2018 -- A senior Iranian nuclear negotiator says Iran will not continue talks with European sides of its nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), if it feels that European countries are wasting time.
- Trump's new strategies will further isolate US: Iranian FM Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the new strategies declared by the US secretary of state will lead to Washington's greater isolation among the international community.
- Iran can resume 20-percent enrichment in 2-3 days: Official Press TV 27 May 2018 -- An Iranian nuclear official says the Islamic Republic is able to resume the enrichment of uranium to the 20-percent purity level within a maximum of two or three days.
- Iran Asserts Legal Right to Uranium Enrichment, Says Pompeo Unaware of Realities Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi has dismissed US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's Friday remarks on Tehran's right to uranium enrichment, blasting them as inadmissible not only to the Islamic Republic, but to all nations in the world.
- Saudi crown prince shot, injured in last month's incident near palace: opposition activist Press TV 27 May 2018 -- A Saudi activist has revealed that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who has not been seen in public over the past few weeks, was actually shot and injured in heavy gunfire reported from outside the royal palace in the capital Riyadh late last month.
- Haitian President Moise visits Taiwan CNA 27 May 2018 -- Haitian President Jovenel Moise will arrive in Taiwan on Monday for a 5-day state visit, his first since he took office in early 2017, according to Taiwan's foreign ministry.
- Jordan ditches $10 billion atomic plant deal with Russia Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Jordan has decided to abandon a $10 billion deal with Russia to build a nuclear power plant, saying the two sides worked to construct a small modular reactor (SMR) instead.
- Bahrain: No solution in sight for diplomatic standoff with Qatar Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Bahrain, one of the Saudi-led quartet of countries boycotting Qatar, says there is no solution in sight for the diplomatic crisis with Doha that has dragged on for almost a year.
- Nicaragua unrest continues, more killed Press TV 27 May 2018 -- Hundreds of people in Nicaragua have staged anti-government protests across the country, blocking roads and highways as at least eight more people are killed in political violence.
- Runoff Likely in Colombia Presidential Poll VOA 27 May 2018 -- Colombia's contentious but peaceful presidential election appears headed for a runoff between a leftist former rebel and a conservative who wants to rewrite the peace deal with the rebels.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|