12 May 2018 Military News
- Taliban Seizes Village in Central Afghanistan Following Heavy Clashes - Reports Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- The Taliban radical movement has seized a village in the central Afghan province of Ghor as a result of heavy clashes with local militia forces, the TOLO broadcaster reported Saturday citing officials.
- Afghan Fighting Kills More Than 100 People VOA 12 May 2018 -- The Taliban insurgency reportedly has killed more than 65 government forces and made territorial advances in fresh attacks across Afghanistan during the past two days.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Carrier Strike Group 3 Completes Group Sail NNS 12 May 2018 -- Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 3 has completed its group sail with USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74), Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9, Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Mobile Bay (CG 53) and Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 21.
- PCU Hyman G. Rickover Celebrates Construction Milestone NNS 12 May 2018 -- The U.S. Navy held a keel laying ceremony for the Virginia-class submarine Pre-Commissioning Unit Hyman G. Rickover (SSN 795) at General Dynamics Electric Boat, May 11.
- US jets intercept two Russian bombers off coast of Alaska Press TV 12 May 2018 -- US stealth fighter jets intercepted two Russian long-range bombers in international airspace off the coast of Alaska on Friday, according to North American Aerospace Defense Command.
- U.S. Military Jets Intercept Russian Bombers Off Alaskan Coast RFE/RL 12 May 2018 -- Two U.S. fighter jets intercepted two Russian bombers in international airspace off the coast of Alaska on May 11.
- Military to continue search for missing Mirage-2000 CNA 12 May 2018 -- The military said Saturday that it will continue to search for the Mirage 2000 fighter piloted by Captain Ho Tzu-yu (何子雨), which went missing during a flight training sortie last November.
- U.S. voices concern after Chinese aircraft circle near Taiwan again CNA 12 May 2018 -- The U.S. State Department on Friday again expressed concern over China's lack of military transparency and reiterated its opposition to attempts to change the cross-Taiwan Strait status quo, following a fresh incident of Chinese military aircraft circling near Taiwan.
- China sends Su-35 fighter jets for island patrol training People's Daily 12 May 2018 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) air force conducted patrol training over China's island of Taiwan on Friday.
- Chinese fighter jets continue aerial drills around Taiwan Press TV 12 May 2018 -- Chinese fighter jets have reportedly carried out more aerial drills around Taiwan- the latest round of military maneuvers near the self-ruled island.
- UK MPs Find Supermassive Black Hole in Defense Budget – Reports Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- Financial gaps could seriously hamper the British military's ability to face up to "serious challenges in national defense," MPs have warned.
- Yemen fires ballistic missile at Saudi Arabian garrison IRNA 12 May 2018 -- The Yemeni army targeted Ad Darb garrison in Jizan region with a ballistic missile Friday, Yemeni official news agency SABA reported.
- Yemeni forces launch ballistic missile against Saudi base in Jizan: Report Press TV 12 May 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, backed by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired a short-range domestically-manufactured ballistic missile at a Saudi military base in the kingdom's southwestern region of Jizan, in retaliation for the Saudi regime's campaign against the impoverished country, Yemeni media report.
- Iran, Israel Trade Threats After Exchange Of Missile Fire In Syria RFE/RL 12 May 2018 -- Iran and Israel engaged in a war or words two days after an exchange of missile fire in Syria, with a prominent Iranian cleric threatening to "raze" two Israeli cities if it "acts foolishly" and attacks Iranian forces in Syria again.
- Syrian Security Forces enter Yelda, Babila and Beit Sahem IRNA 12 May 2018 -- Internal Security Forces have entered the towns of Yelda, Babila, and Beit Sahem in southern Damascus and raised the Syrian flag over the municipality building of Babila.
- Syrian Arab Army continues combating terrorism in al-Hajar al-Aswad IRNA 12 May 2018 -- The Syrian Arab Army units continued on Friday their military operation in al-Hajar al-Aswad district, at a time when Internal Security Forces are entering the towns of Yelda, Babila, and Beit Sahem in southern Damascus.
- Syrian Army destroys terrorists' hotbeds in south Damascus IRNA 12 May 2018 -- Units of Syrian Arab Army on Saturday destroyed dens for terrorists positioned in the northern part of al-Hajar al-Aswad neighborhood in south Damascus.
- Syrian army liberates Aljazeera neighborhood, south Damascus IRNA 12 May 2018 -- Units of Syrian Arab army on Saturday liberated Aljazeera neighborhood in northwestern Hajar al-Aswad, south Damascus, from the terrorists.
- Militants Left Southern Areas of Syria's Damascus Including Yarmouk Camp Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- All militants and their families have finally left southern areas of the Syrian capital of Damascus, including the Yarmouk refugee camp.
- Four Hashd Sha'abi fighters killed in bomb attack in central Iraq amid ongoing voting Press TV 12 May 2018 -- At least four members of the pro-government Popular Mobilization Units have lost their lives and three others sustained injuries when a bomb went off in Iraq's central province of Salahuddin as voting is underway across the country to elect the next parliament.
- Myanmar's military clashes with ethnic militants, 19 killed Press TV 12 May 2018 -- At least 19 people, most of them civilians, have been killed in a fresh round of fighting between the military and ethnic militants in Myanmar's troubled northern regions.
- 19 Killed in Myanmar Fighting VOA 12 May 2018 -- An ethnic rebel group in northern Myanmar has attacked security forces at a casino in an area near China's border, killing 19 people, including 15 civilians and four security forces. Twenty people were wounded.
- Germany concerned over truce breaches in Ukraine: Merkel Press TV 12 May 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has expressed grave concern over continued violations of a ceasefire between Ukrainian government troops and Russia-backed forces in eastern Ukraine.
- Armed men kill 26 ahead of referendum in Burundi Press TV 12 May 2018 -- At least 26 people have been killed in an attack by gunmen in a village in northwestern Burundi, says an official, days ahead of a constitutional referendum which could enable President Pierre Nkurunziza to stay in power for 16 more years.
- Somalia: 13 militants, 4 Civilians Killed in Market Blast, Fighting VOA 12 May 2018 -- Clashes between Somali army troops backing local villagers and al-Shabab militants have left at least 13 of the militant fighters dead, witnesses and officials said.
- Israel Closes Border Crossing After Palestinian Protesters Break In VOA 12 May 2018 -- Israel has closed a border crossing with Gaza a day after it was damaged during Palestinian protests.
- Israeli jets target generator, agricultural area in northern Gaza Strip Press TV 12 May 2018 -- Israeli warplanes have targeted northern Gaza Strip just hours after Tel Aviv announced the closure of the only goods border crossing into the Palestinian sliver.
- Azerbaijan Warns Armenia It's Ready For 'Large-Scale Military Operations' RFE/RL 12 May 2018 -- Azerbaijan has warned Armenia that it is prepared for "large-scale military operations" and says that comments by its neighbor's new leadership about the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region are "unacceptable."
- Trump selects billionaire military contractor to lead intelligence board Press TV 12 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has chosen billionaire military contractor Stephen Feinberg as chair of his Intelligence Advisory Board that oversees the country's intelligence community, deriving its influence from direct access to the president and his senior staff.
- Ex-CIA contractor caught stealing secrets from the spy agency in growing trend Press TV 12 May 2018 -- The US Justice Department has announced the conviction of a former CIA contractor who pleaded guilty for theft of classified information amid growing cases of government contractors accused of stealing secrets from spy agencies.
- Russian MPs consider criminalizing loyalty to US sanctions Press TV 12 May 2018 -- Russian lawmakers have proposed a bill that envisages the detention of any individuals refusing to do business with Russians in the wake of anti-Moscow sanctions imposed by the US and some other foreign countries.
- Kremlin Says Proposal For Three Presidential Terms Not On Putin's 'Agenda' RFE/RL 12 May 2018 -- The Kremlin said on May 11 that a suggestion by Chechen lawmakers to change the constitution to allow President Vladimir Putin to serve another presidential term when his current term ends in 2024 is not on Putin's agenda.
- Press Release of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Democratic People's Republic of Korea KCNA 12 May 2018 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea issued a following press release on Saturday:
- Detailed Report on Kim Jong Un's Feats for National Reunification KCNA 12 May 2018 -- The Reunification and Publicity Bureau of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Country of the DPRK Saturday released a detailed report on the exploits of the respected Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un who ushered in a new era of national unity and reunification, peace and prosperity.
- South Korea: North needs to take more denuclearization steps for sanctions relief Press TV 12 May 2018 -- South Korea says it needs to see further "concrete steps" to be taken by North Korea towards denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula if Pyongyang seeks sanctions relief.
- North Korea says will shut down nuclear site later this month Press TV 12 May 2018 -- North Korea says it is "taking technical measures" to dismantle its nuclear test site, the latest dramatic move Pyongyang is making just a month ahead of a historic summit between the North's leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump.
- North Korea 'Taking Measures' to Dismantle Nuclear Site - State Media Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- According to the KCNA news agency, North Korea is "taking technical measures" to demolish its nuclear test site and that foreign media would be invited to observe the ceremony.
- N Korea Downscales Tank Military Drills Amid Rapprochement With South - Reports Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- Pyongyang significantly diminished the scale of this year's edition of the annual contest among its tank units in what appears to be a sign of relaxing tensions on the Korean peninsula, a South Korean government source told local Yonhap news agency.
- Rocket Man of His Word? Kim Jong Un Promises UN to Stop ICBM Launches Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- North Korea has informed the United Nations that it will discontinue its unannounced missile tests as well as all intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) tests because they have completed their nuclear arms development program.
- Sukhoi aviation to continue cooperation with Iran IRNA 12 May 2018 -- Russian aircraft manufacturer 'Sukhoi' is to continue cooperation with the Islamic Republic of Iran based on signed contracts between the two countries.
- Kremlin to do its best to preserve Iran nuclear deal IRNA 12 May 2018 -- Russian presidential aide Yuri Ushakov said on Friday that Russia, Germany and Turkey shared a similar stance on the US exist from Iran nuclear deal.
- Europeans Move To Protect Firms From Renewed U.S. Sanctions On Iran RFE/RL 12 May 2018 -- European nations are moving to protect their companies from a resumption of stiff U.S. sanctions on firms doing business in Iran, in a critical part of their bid to keep the Iranian nuclear deal alive and ensure it continues to benefit Iran's economy.
- Ten O'Clock to Tehran: China Launches New Rail Link with Iran as US Severs Ties Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- Beijing has officially opened its new train route to Iran, as the US urges its companies to wind down their operations with the Islamic Republic.
- Chinese freight train on way of Iran IRNA 12 May 2018 -- A freight train left China for Iran on Friday and, according to the Chinese authorities, will reach in Tehran in 15 days.
- Iraqis vote in first parliamentary election since Daesh collapse Press TV 12 May 2018 -- People in Iraq go to polls to elect a new parliament and new prime minister in the first national election since the country declared complete victory over the terrorist Daesh group.
- Iraqis Vote Amid Struggle Between Shi'ite Leaders Aligned With Iran RFE/RL 12 May 2018 -- Iraqis started voting on May 12 in the country's first parliamentary elections since Baghdad declared victory over the Islamic State (IS) and routed the extremist group from most Iraqi territory last year.
- What You Need to Know About Parliamentary Election in Iraq Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- Iraqi citizens are on Saturday casting ballots in the first parliamentary election after the defeat of Daesh* in the country.
- Iraqi Parliamentary Election US Dept. of State 12 May 2018 -- "The United States congratulates the Iraqi people on today's parliamentary election. Citizens from every ethnic and religious group, and from all 18 provinces, including those internally displaced, made their voices heard."
- Iraqis Vote in First Election Since Victory Over IS VOA 12 May 2018 -- Dressed for the occasion in flowing gowns and a traditional suit, Payman Salih, her husband and four of her daughters waited outside a polling station in Iraq for a final family member to cast their ballot.
- Xi stresses coordinated efforts in central, local institutional reform People's Daily 12 May 2018 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC), called for coordinated efforts and orderly progress in the planning and implementation of institutional reform at the central and local levels to ensure complete victory in the area.
- Mahathir prevents scandal-hit Najib from leaving Malaysia Press TV 12 May 2018 -- Malaysia's scandal-tainted former Prime Minister Najib Razak and his wife have been banned from leaving the country following a shock election defeat amid reports that he might be trying to escape justice.
- Armenian President Appoints New Government - Presidential Office Sputnik 12 May 2018 -- Armenian President Armen Sarkissian has made all of the appointments to the country's new government, the president's office said Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|