22 April 2018 Military News
- Afghan President Vows No Weakening Of Democratic Process After Deadly Blast RFE/RL 22 Apr 2018 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani says a deadly suicide bombing outside a voter registration center in the capital, Kabul, will not "weaken" the country's "democratic process."
- Terror Blast Likely to Discourage Afghan Voters VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- After a suicide bomber killed 57 and injured more than 100 in Kabul, Afghanistan's Independent Election Commission fears insecurity might discourage people from participating in the upcoming parliamentary and district elections.
- Kabul Suicide Bomber Kills at Least 57 VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- A suicide bomber struck a distribution center for Afghan voters' identification cards Sunday morning in Kabul, killing at least 57 people and wounding more than 100 others.
- Bomb blast leaves scores dead and injured in Afghan capital Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- A bomb attack has left at least 57 people dead and 119 others wounded outside a voter registration center in the Afghan capital, Kabul.
- At Least 57 Killed In Kabul Voter-Center Suicide Attack RFE/RL 22 Apr 2018 -- A suicide bombing outside a voter-registration center in the Afghan capital, Kabul, has killed at least 57 people and wounded 119 others, officials say.
- Outrage and 'revulsion' voiced by UN mission in Afghanistan over latest suicide attack UN News 22 Apr 2018 -- A suicide attack on a voter-registration centre in the Afghan capital Kabul which left at least 30 dead on Sunday, has been condemned by the UN mission in the country, UNAMA.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remembering the F-117 Nighthawk AFNS 22 Apr 2018 -- It's been 10 years since the F-117 Nighthawk retired, an aircraft so secret Nevada folklore labeled it a UFO.
- US lawmakers urge Pentagon to buy Israel's Iron Dome missile system Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- A bipartisan group of lawmakers in the US Congress have called on the US military to immediately purchase the Iron Dome, a short-range rocket interception system developed by Israel.
- Serbia Gets Four MiG-29 Aircraft From Belarus - Defense Minister Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Belarus has supplied Serbia with four MiG-29 fighter jets as part of defense industry assistance, Serbian Defense Minister Aleksandar Vulin said Sunday.
- Taiwan to stage military exercises June 4 CNA 22 Apr 2018 -- The annual Han Kuang military exercises will be staged June 4, following military simulations that will finish by the end of May, informed sources said Sunday.
- Beijing's routine exercises psychological warfare: expert CNA 22 Apr 2018 -- China has continued to intentionally play up its routine military exercises as psychological warfare to pressure Taiwan, including its recently concluded April 18 drill, a local military expert said Sunday.
- Iranian Army must become stronger, more efficient: Ayatollah Khamenei Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has reiterated that Iran's Army must become stronger by taking advantage of past experiences and relying on its young manpower.
- Iran Supreme Leader underlines Army power IRNA 22 Apr 2018 -- The Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, emphasized the continuation of progress and increasing army power.
- Canada Signs Deal With Japan Allowing to Use Each Other's Military Equipment Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Ottawa and Tokyo concluded a bilateral Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement which will step up military cooperation between the two states, and allow them to use each other's military equipment in various operations, the Global Affairs department of the Canadian government said in a statement on Sunday.
- Background Briefing Following the First Day of Meetings at the G7 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Toronto US Dept. of State 22 Apr 2018 -- Special Briefing by Senior Administration Official
- Background Briefing Previewing Acting Secretary Sullivan's Trip to the G7 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Toronto US Dept. of State 22 Apr 2018 -- Special Briefing by Senior Administration Official
- UN chief condemns fatal shooting of International Red Cross staffer in Yemen UN News 22 Apr 2018 -- The UN Secretary-General has condemned Sunday's killing of a senior staff member working for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Yemen, who was attacked while travelling in a vehicle on the outskirts of Taiz.
- Ansarullah Movement after political solution to Yemen crisis IRNA 22 Apr 2018 -- A senior Yemeni official said on Saturday that the national salvation government in his country welcomes any 'proposals leading to serious, comprehensive peace.'
- 20 civilians killed in Saudi air strike in Yemen IRNA 22 Apr 2018 -- Twenty people were killed in an air strike by a Saudi-led military coalition in southwestern Yemen on Friday, residents said.
- Syrian Army recaptures southern Damascus IRNA 22 Apr 2018 -- Syrian Army liberated Al-Zin area in southern Damascus, Arab media 'Al Mayadeen' reported.
- Syrian fighter jets strike militant positions near capital: Report Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Syrian fighter jets have conducted precision strikes against positions held by foreign-backed militants near the capital Damascus, inflicting casualties on their ranks and damage on their hardware and equipment, Syrian state media reports.
- Militants Hand Over Munition Depots, Armored Vehicles to Syrian Army Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Extremists have handed over warehouses with large amount of ammunition, 30 armored vehicles and different types of weapons to the Syrian armed forces, Maj. Gen. Yuri Yevtushenko, the commander of the Russian reconciliation center for Syria, said on Saturday.
- Militants, families still being evacuated from Eastern Qalamoun to Syria's north Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- A number of buses, boarding militants and their families, are on their way toward Jarablus near the Syria-Turkey border after they departed from a number of localities in Syria's Eastern Qalamoun as part of the evacuation process of militants from the volatile district near the Syrian capital.
- Chemical Weapons Inspectors Start Probe into Alleged Deadly Gas Attack VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- International chemical weapons inspectors face a dilemma. They've been supplied by rebels with the coordinates of the burial site of dozens of victims of the alleged deadly gas attack that prompted earlier this month retaliatory U.S.-led airstrikes on Syria. But to gain access to take samples from corpses, they'll need permission from Syrian and Russian officials, who they fear will obstruct them.
- France's Macron Urges US, Allies to Stay in Syria Even After Daesh Defeat Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- On April 14, the United Kingdom, the United States and France launched strikes at Syria over alleged reports of a chemical attack in the city of Douma, with the three countries firing over 100 missiles at the country.
- France's Macron: US Role in Syria Vital VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron is heading to the United States for a state visit with President Donald Trump, looking to convince him of the need to keep a U.S. presence in Syria even after the defeat of Islamic State terrorists.
- US supplies weapons to Kurdish militants free of charge: Erdogan Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the US and its allies have been providing free weapons to Kurdish militants operating in northern Syria in a move that poses a threat to Turkey's security.
- Such a Deal: Erdogan Accuses US of Arming Kurdish Forces in Syria for Free Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- The Turkish president claimed that roughly 5,000 trucks, all loaded with weaponry, were dispatched to northern Syria.
- Greek president reject Erdogan's proposal for soldier swap Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Greek president Prokopis Pavlopoulos has rejected a suggestion by his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan about the possibility of a swap of soldiers between the two countries.
- Mosque bombings kill three in northeast Nigeria Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Two bomb attacks have killed three Muslim worshipers at a mosque in the town of Bama in the northeast Nigerian state of Borno.
- French Troops Injured After Several Blasts Rock Mali Near UN Camp, French Base Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Last Sunday, militants already attacked a UN base in the city of Timbuktu in Mali with car bombs and rocket fire, killing one UN peacekeeper and injuring seven others.
- Thousands of Displaced in Southern Libya in Desperate Need of Help VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- The U.N. refugee agency is appealing to armed groups in southern Libya to allow humanitarian access to thousands of people displaced by fighting to provide urgently needed relief.
- Iran Deal, Transatlantic Trade Loom Over Macron Visit VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump will host French President Emmanuel Macron for a state visit next week as the Iran nuclear agreement hangs in the balance, and the expiration of EU's exemptions from steel and aluminum tariffs nears.
- Russia Received No Official Requests From US About Origin of NotPetya Malware Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Russia did not receive any US requests regarding the origin of NotPetya malware, Special Representative of the Russian President for International Cooperation in Information Security Andrey Krutskikh said.
- Trump Cites Gains Ahead of Planned North Korea Summit VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday the United States has given up nothing ahead of his planned summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, while Pyongyang has already curtailed its nuclear weapons development.
- Trump Denies Making Concessions to N Korea: Crisis 'Long Way From Conclusion' Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Despite years of tensions, the situation on the Korean peninsula has improved significantly over recent months, with Kim Jong Un expressing his readiness to suspend nuclear and missile tests.
- France has no 'plan B' for Iran nuclear deal: French president Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says he has no "plan B" for a multilateral nuclear agreement reached between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries in 2015 amid the United States' threats to quit the agreement unless certain "flaws" are fixed.
- Iran will 'vigorously' resume N-program if US pulls out of JCPOA: Zarif Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Iran will "vigorously" resume the activities it halted under the 2015 nuclear agreement if the United States scraps the multilateral accord.
- Iran To Restart Nuclear Program 'At Much Greater Speed' If U.S. Quits Deal RFE/RL 22 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Tehran will resume its nuclear program "at a much greater speed" if the United States withdraws from the landmark 2015 nuclear accord.
- Macron Urges Trump To Stick With Iran Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 22 Apr 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has urged his U.S counterpart, Donald Trump, to stick with the 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and six world powers as long as there is no better option.
- US Attempts to Dissuade Iran's Partners From Cooperation Violate JCPOA - Tehran Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- US attempts to dissuade Iran's economic partners from cooperating with it violate the terms of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), also known as the Iran nuclear deal, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday.
- Iranians Hit By 'Perfect Currency Storm' RFE/RL 22 Apr 2018 -- Every day, hundreds head to Tehran's bustling Ferdowsi street to buy foreign currency, only to find that many exchange offices have shut up shop, have turned off their currency-rate displays, or have signs up reading, "We don't have U.S. dollars to sell."
- Ex-Tehran prosecutor Mortazavi arrested in northern Iran Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- A former Tehran prosecutor general convicted over a death in custody has reportedly been arrested in northern Iran.
- Iran Detains Ex-Prosecutor Convicted In 2009 Prisoner's Death RFE/RL 22 Apr 2018 -- An Iranian news agency affiliated with the judiciary is reporting that police have arrested a former Tehran prosecutor who faces a two-year prison sentence over the death of a prisoner arrested during Iran's 2009 mass antigovernment protests.
- China Welcomes Trade Talks with US VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- China said Sunday it welcomes the news that the U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is considering a trip to Beijing to talk about trade.
- Interior Ministry Security Spokesman: Regulation on using remote controlled aircraft "drones" in its final stages SPA 22 Apr 2018 -- The Security Spokesman of the Ministry of Interior has pointed out that the regulation on using remote controlled aircraft "drones" is in its final stages, calling on enthusiasts for using this type of aircraft to obtain the necessary permission authorizing them to use drones for the purposes assigned to them in permitted sites from police in their neighborhoods.
- Saudi King Reportedly Hides in Military Bunker as Palace Guards Fight Toy Drone Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- A tiny unmanned aircraft has apparently caused quite a stir in the capital of Saudi Arabia, reportedly prompting King Salman to seek shelter in a military bunker as security forces moved in to deal with the intruder.
- Armenian Opposition Leader Arrested VOA 22 Apr 2018 -- Armenia's opposition leader was arrested Sunday, hours after the country's prime minister walked out of a televised meeting between the two.
- Armenia PM accuses opposition of 'blackmail,' cuts debate short Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Negotiations between Armenian Prime Minister Serzh Sargsyan and opposition leader Nikol Pashinyan have collapsed, leaving the country in a state of limbo, as widespread protests against the former president's appointment as premier enter the 10th day.
- Armenian opposition leader Pashinyan to meet PM Sarkisian Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Armenian opposition protests leader Nikol Pashinyan has announced that he will meet with Prime Minister and ex-president Serzh Sarkisian following nine days of widespread protests in the country.
- Armenia detains opposition leaders as protests continue Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Three opposition leaders who have played a major role in recent demonstrations in Armenia against the appointment of the former President Serzh Sargsyan as prime minister have been arrested.
- Armenian Protests Continue As Leader Pashinian Detained RFE/RL 22 Apr 2018 -- Armenian protest leader Nikol Pashinian and two other lawmakers have been detained in Yerevan along with more than 230 demonstrators following 10 days of mass protests against an alleged power grab by Prime Minister Serzh Sarkisian.
- Armenian President Says Situation in Country Reached Red Line As Rallies Resume Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Law enforcement officers have detained 228 demonstrators in Yerevan, Armenia, which have recently seen a number of protests against former President Serzh Sargsyan, having been elected the country's premier, according to the police press service.
- Madagascar troops stop protests against electoral law Press TV 22 Apr 2018 -- Troops have been deployed to a major site of protests against Madagascar's new electoral laws after a person was killed in clashes with police.
- At Least 3 Killed, Around 20 Wounded During Rally in Madagascar's Capital Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- At least three people were killed, and around 20 others were injured as the authorities were dispersing demonstrators in Madagascar's capital of Antananarivo, African media reported on Saturday.
- Death Toll in Anti-Government Protests in Nicaragua Mounts to Over 30 - Reports Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Over 30 people have been killed in violent protests against the government of President Daniel Ortega and its reform of the social security system in Nicaragua, the Prensa news portal reported on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|