18 April 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 18 Apr 2018 [PDF]
- ISIS Contained in Syria, Changing Tactics, OIR Spokesman Says AFPS 18 Apr 2018 -- Iraqi security forces and Syrian Democratic Forces continue to contain Islamic State of Iraq and Syria fighters in areas of the middle Euphrates River valley, an Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman said yesterday.
- State Dept: US Seeks No Confrontation With Russia in Syria, Ready to Use Force Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- The US, the UK and France launched a strike against Syria on April 14 as retaliation for the alleged chemical attack in Douma. Russia warned the US against delivering a strike, reminding that it has military personnel on the ground and that they will react accordingly.
- Bolton in contact with Arab states to create regional force in Syria: Report Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- John Bolton, US President Donald Trump's new national security adviser, is spearheading a push to establish a coalition of Arab military forces in Syria to pave the way for an American withdrawal, according to reports.
- US Congress Asks White House for Larger Syria Plan VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- The Trump administration's recent airstrikes in Syria – just the latest action in a long-running conflict that has challenged U.S. presidents of both parties – has prompted a new round of questions on Capitol Hill.
- US and Russia Want to Avoid Syrian Escalation, But Are They in Control? VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. and its Western allies avoided triggering a wider war in Syria last Saturday when they retaliated with precision missile strikes against President Bashar al-Assad for an alleged chemical weapons attack. But there are plenty of hazards ahead that could draw the big powers, as well as neighboring countries, deeper into the Syria quagmire – and into direct conflict with each other, however determined they are to avoid it, analysts said.
- Department of the Army announces upcoming 3rd Cavalry Regiment deployment Army News 18 Apr 2018 -- The Department of the Army announced today the spring 2018 deployment of the 3rd Cavalry Regiment stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, to Iraq.
- Department of the Army announces upcoming 101st Airborne Sustainment Brigade deployment Army News 18 Apr 2018 -- The Department of the Army announced today the summer of 2018 deployment of the 101st Airborne Division Sustainment Brigade stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, to Afghanistan.
- Election center attacked in Afghanistan, five people abducted Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Five people have been abducted when armed men attacked a voter registration center in Afghanistan, and set fire to documents.
- Taliban Assassinates Key Afghan Regional Security Official VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- Officials in Afghanistan say a top regional security commander and several of his bodyguards were killed in a bombing attack in southern Afghanistan early Wednesday.
- 25th Infantry Division aids relief efforts on Island of Kauai Army News 18 Apr 2018 -- Using two CH-47 Chinook helicopters, Tropic Lightning aircrews from Company B, 3rd Battalion, 25th Aviation Regiment, 25th Combat Aviation Brigade joined the State of Hawaii and County of Kauai's multi-agency relief effort Monday morning.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of the Army announces upcoming 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, 4th ID deployment Army News 18 Apr 2018 -- The Department of the Army announced today the summer 2018 deployment of the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado, to Europe.
- Milius to Depart San Diego, Forward Deploy to 7th Fleet NNS 18 Apr 2018 -- USS Milius (DDG 69), a ballistic missile defense (BMD) capable guided-missile destroyer, will leave its homeport of San Diego, April 20, to join the Forward Deployed Naval Forces-Japan.
- Michael Murphy Returns from Deployment NNS 18 Apr 2018 -- USS Michael Murphy (DDG 112) returned to Pearl Harbor, April 18, after a three-month deployment to the Western Pacific with the Carl Vinson Strike Group.
- Truman Strike Group Enters European Theater NNS 18 Apr 2018 -- The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (HSTCSG) entered the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations April 18, 2018, as part of a routine deployment in support of NATO allies, European and African partner nations, coalition partners, and U.S. national security interests in Europe and Africa.
- US, Indonesia Airmen talks enhance interoperability AFNS 18 Apr 2018 -- Pacific Air Forces hosted the Indonesian air force leadership here to discuss the continued partnership and integration of both air forces during Airman-to-Airman talks April 11 – 12, 2018.
- Increasing Global Threats Call for Capabilities to Deter, Defend, Officials Say AFPS 18 Apr 2018 -- In today's increasingly complex and threatening environment, the Defense Department must sustain the capabilities needed to deter and defend against attacks on the U.S. homeland, its forces abroad and its allies and partners, John C. Rood, undersecretary of defense for policy, said on Capitol Hill yesterday.
- DoD Must Be More Agile in Technology Development, Official Says AFPS 18 Apr 2018 -- The Defense Department must embrace a more agile approach to technology development to keep pace with rapidly evolving adversaries, the undersecretary of defense for research and engineering told lawmakers yesterday.
- DoD's Underfunded Maintenance Backlog Exceeds $116 Billion, Official Says AFPS 18 Apr 2018 -- The requested $10.5 billion in military construction and family housing programs in the president's fiscal year 2019 budget request makes significant progress to recapitalize facilities, but it will not reverse the impacts of six years of sequestration, the assistant secretary of defense for energy, installations and environment said today.
- Speed Must Accompany Innovation, Pentagon Official Tells Senate AFPS 18 Apr 2018 -- The United States military has plenty of innovators, but it doesn't have much time, the new undersecretary of defense for research and engineering told a Senate Armed Services subcommittee today.
- Readout of Meeting between Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis and Doctor Khalid Bin Mohammed Al-Attiyah, Minister of State for Defense Affairs, Qatar DoD 18 Apr 2018
- Remarks By Secretary Mattis at an enhanced honor cordon welcoming Qatar Minister of State for Defense Affairs Al-Attiyah to the Pentagon DoD 18 Apr 2018- - Presenter: Secretary Of Defense James N. Mattis; Qatar Minister of State for Defense Affairs Dr. Khalid Bin Mohammed Al-Attiyah
- Navy Establishes Command to Ensure Readiness of Warships Forward Deployed in Japan NNS 18 Apr 2018 -- Commander, Naval Surface Group Western Pacific (CNSG WP) was officially established in Japan to oversee the Forward Deployed Naval Force Japan (FDNF-J) surface ship maintenance, training, and certification on Apr. 11, 2018.
- US Navy: China Exploiting Academia, US Contractors to Steal Technology Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- As the Chinese armed forces continue modernizing at an unprecedented clip, a top US military official has accused Beijing of stealing US technology "in just about every domain" by taking advantage of defense contractors' vulnerabilities and embedding assets in academia.
- 45th SW supports successful Atlas V launch of AFSPC-11 mission AFNS 18 Apr 2018 -- The Air Force's 45th Space Wing supported United Launch Alliance's successful launch of the AFSPC-11 spacecraft aboard an Atlas V rocket from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station April 14, 2018.
- Air Force opens space training to allies, accelerates Space Acquisition AFNS 18 Apr 2018 -- Citing the National Defense Strategy, Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson announced that beginning in 2019 the Air Force is opening its space training to allies during her keynote speech at the 34th Space Symposium in Colorado Springs, Colorado. April 17, 2018.
- Russia, China Develop Capabilities to Disable US Satellites, USAF Secretary Says Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- US Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson said on Tuesday that Moscow and Beijing are developing their capabilities to disrupt US satellites.
- Portugal to lead, France and Spain to augment NATO Air Policing in Baltics NATO 18 Apr 2018 -- The 47th rotation of NATO fighter jets safeguarding the Baltic Allies airspace will be led by Portugal while France and Spain - within the framework of enhanced Air Policing - will be augmenting the mission from May 2018 on.
- NATO Furious Hammer Drills Kick Off in Baltic Region – Estonian Defense Forces Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- Convoys of military servicemen from Estonia, as well as the United Kingdom and Denmark, both of which are members of NATO international battalion, will start Wednesday to move toward Latvia in order to take part in the Furious Hammer drills, the General Staff of the Estonian Defense Forces said.
- Russian Navy gets new nuclear sub, warships Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- The Russian Navy has expanded its strategic capabilities by commissioning a nuclear submarine, three new warships, two helicopters and a number of home-made Kalibr cruise missiles.
- UK Military Facing Critical Skills Shortage - Report Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- Shortages in Britain's military capabilities result from deep budget cuts that threatens to hollow out Britain's status as a first-rate military power.
- RAF's legendary Dambusters squadron reforms to fly F-35 jets UK MOD 18 Apr 2018 -- The squadron immortalised by the Dambusters raid of World War II has been reformed to fly the UK's new F-35 fighter jets, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- UK and India commit to closer military ties UK MOD 18 Apr 2018 -- The UK and India will continue to strengthen their defence and security relationship, with the two countries working closer together than ever before to tackle terrorism and threats to cyber security.
- No elevation of combat readiness for Chinese drill: MND CNA 18 Apr 2018 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) has not elevated its combat readiness, despite an ongoing live-fire military exercise conducted by the China's People's Liberation Army, the Ministry of National Defense said Wednesday.
- President kept informed on China's military exercise: NSC CNA 18 Apr 2018 -- Tsai Ming-yen (蔡明彥), deputy secretary-general of the National Security Council (NSC), said Wednesday that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) will be kept up to date on a Chinese live-fire military exercise while traveling in Africa.
- Not So Fast: US F-35 Deal With Taiwan Iced Over Fears of Chinese Spies on Island Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- The US government's reluctance to sell high-end short-takeoff and vertical landing F-35B aircraft to Taiwan is turning into a major disappointment for defense officials on the island - and the Chinese spies living there - according to a new report.
- Xi calls for efforts to break new ground in national security People's Daily 18 Apr 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday called for efforts to fully implement a holistic approach to national security and break new ground in national security in the new era.
- In show of force, China starts military drills in Taiwan Strait Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- China has launched live-fire military exercises in the Taiwan Strait, in a show of force following its latest warning to Taipei against seeking independence or official ties with the United States.
- IRGC playing major role in fighting terrorism: Army General Staff IRNA 18 Apr 2018 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is playing a major role in deterrence and fighting international terrorism, General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran said in a statement.
- Iranian Army displays power IRNA 18 Apr 2018 -- Iranian armed forces showcased their capabilities in different areas on National Army Day ceremonies.
- 3-fold increase in range of combat helicopter-mounted missiles: Cmdr IRNA 18 Apr 2018 -- Today, Ground Forces Aviation of the Iranian Army can triple the range of their combat helicopter-mounted missiles, a senior Iranian commander announced here on Wednesday.
- Iranian Army unveils latest achievements IRNA 18 Apr 2018 -- The Iranian Army unveiled its latest achievements in making defensive equipment on Wednesday.
- Iran unveils new missile system IRNA 18 Apr 2018 -- Iran unveiled a new missile system on Wednesday during the parades marking the country's National Army Day.
- President at Army Day ceremony: All armed forces ready to defend country's independence, integrity ISNA 18 Apr 2018 -- Iranian President described people as the greatest support of the armed forces and stressed that the Army and Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) will produce or provide any weapons needed for defending the country.
- Iran's defense chief in Iraq to discuss ties, Syria strikes Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Iran's defense minister is in Iraq to exchange views with the country's senior officials on bilateral security cooperation as well as the most recent regional developments, especially the Syria situation.
- Iran marks National Army Day with military parade Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Iran commemorates National Army Day with a large-scale military parade, showcasing the country's defense preparedness and latest achievements in this sector.
- Rohani Says Iran Will Acquire Any Weapons It Needs For 'Deterrence' RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- Iran will make or buy any weapons it needs for "deterrence" but means no harm toward its neighbors, President Hassan Rohani has said at a military parade in Tehran on National Army Day.
- Iran vows to keep up anti-terror cooperation with Iraq Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the Islamic Republic will keep up its counter-terrorism cooperation with Iraq until the annihilation of terrorism.
- Israel Withdraws Warplanes From Alaska Drills Amid Middle East Tensions Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- Earlier, the Syrian state media outlet SANA reported that the country's armed forces had repelled a missile attack on the Shayrat air base in the province of Homs, with The Arab News later claiming that Israeli aircraft had been spotted in Syrian airspace just before the rockets were reported.
- 18 April 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 18 Apr 2018
- UN launches global plan to strengthen protection of internally displaced persons UN News 18 Apr 2018 -- With multiple crises forcing millions of people away from their homes, United Nations agencies, Governments and partners have launched a set of measures to strengthen protection of internally displaced persons as well as find solutions to address their problems.
- China Jammed US Navy Jet's Equipment as It Patrolled South China Sea Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- When the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier cruised through the South China Sea last week, one US Navy pilot encountered Chinese jamming technology interfering with his plane's equipment, according to a report.
- Saudi jet fighters bombard Yemen 23 times IRNA 18 Apr 2018 -- Saudi Arabian jet fighters bombarded Saada and Taiz provinces in Yemen 23 times on Tuesday, Yemeni TV Channel 'Almasirah' reported.
- Yemeni drones pound UAE military positions in Mokha IRNA 18 Apr 2018 -- The UAV's of the Yemeni army on Tuesday targeted the positions of the UAE troops in the city of Mokha, Taiz Province, killing and wounding a number of Emirati and Saudi mercenaries.
- Yemeni forces target airport on Saudi soil with ballistic missile Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Yemeni forces have targeted an airport in Saudi Arabia with a domestically-manufactured ballistic missile.
- Greek Foreign Ministry Denies Turkey's Claims to Imia/Kardak Islands Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- The islands' affiliation, and even their name, is disputed by Greece and Turkey. The dispute, which began in 1996, is still not completely resolved, despite continuous efforts of the international community and remains one of the stumbling blocks for Turkey's admission to the EU.
- 'Gunfire' delays UN chemical mission in Syria's Douma Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- A mission by experts with the UN chemical watchdog, who were supposed to enter the Syrian town of Douma to examine the circumstances surrounding an alleged chemical attack, has been once again delayed due to unexpected gunfire at the site near Damascus.
- Russia says Syria gas attack inquiry senseless as US, allies have already acted Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Russia has said that there is no need for establishing a new inquiry into chemical weapons use in Syria as Washington and its allies have already taken up the role of judge and executioner.
- Shooting, Blast Delay OPCW Visit To Syria's Douma RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- The chief of the global chemical-weapons watchdog says it remains unclear when a team of international experts can visit the Syrian town of Douma to investigate an alleged deadly chemical attack there.
- Mediator seeks 'relaunch' of UN-led Syrian talks UN News 18 Apr 2018 -- A renewed United Nations-led diplomatic push is under way for a "meaningful relaunch" of intra-Syrian talks by the Special Envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, his office has announced.
- Justice must be done for Syria crimes, says head of UN body building cases for prosecution UN News 18 Apr 2018 -- Those who committed the most serious crimes in Syria must be identified, and criminal case files must be built as the basis for prosecutions, the head of a United Nations body assisting these efforts said Wednesday.
- UN Security Team Comes Under Fire in Douma, Syria VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- Members of a U.N. security team came under small-arms fire and an explosive was detonated as they tried to carry out a reconnaissance mission to a Syrian town awaiting chemical weapons inspectors.
- IOM Appeals for $38M to Help Conflict-Affected People in Ukraine VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- The International Organization for Migration is appealing for $38 million to aid 340,000 conflict-affected people in Ukraine. That is a 50 percent increase over the number of people the agency has been assisting since Russian-backed rebels in Eastern Ukraine began fighting for a separate state four years ago.
- UN hails release of more than 200 child soldiers in South Sudan UN News 18 Apr 2018 -- Two hundred and seven child soldiers have been released by armed groups in South Sudan, part of a series of planned discharges that should see nearly 1,000 children return home over the coming months.
- Trump Reverses Self on Why He Fired FBI Chief VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump claimed Wednesday that he did not fire former FBI chief James Comey last year because he was heading the agency's probe of Russian links to his 2016 election campaign, a contention directly conflicting with what he said days after he had ousted him.
- Trump denies Russia investigation was behind Comey firing Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has denied firing FBI director James Comey last year over the agency's investigation of Russia's alleged collusion with Trump's election campaign before the 2016 US presidential election, contradicting the explanation he offered in the days after Comey's firing was first announced.
- Trump Asserts He Did Not Fire FBI Chief Over Russia Probe RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said that he did not fire James Comey as FBI director in 2017 over the agency's probe into alleged Russian meddling in the election that put him in office.
- Chemical watchdog confirms UK findings on Salisbury nerve agent UN News 18 Apr 2018 -- A technical team sent by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) to the site of an alleged chemical weapons attack in the United Kingdom has identified toxic agents consistent with the UK's initial investigation, the top United Nations disarmament official told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- OPCW Head Rejects Russian Claim About Presence Of Second Nerve Agent In Salisbury RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- The head of the global chemical-weapons watchdog has rejected Russian claims that traces of a second nerve agent were discovered in the English city where a former Russian spy and his daughter were poisoned last month.
- Trump's UN Ambassador Hits Back Over Russia Sanctions 'Confusion' RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. ambassador to the United Nations is pushing back against a suggestion by President Donald Trump's chief economic adviser that she was confused over possible new sanctions targeting Russia.
- Russia warns of 'painful' retaliation in face of US sanctions Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- The speaker of the Russian upper house of parliament has warned of "serious consequences" of the US sanctions imposed on Russia, saying Moscow's response will be "precise and painful."
- Britain Launches 7 Probes into Impartiality of Russian Broadcaster RT VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- Britain's broadcast regulator has opened seven investigations into Russian state-owned RT television channel, citing an increase in potential violations of impartiality rules since the poisoning of a former Russian spy and his daughter.
- Cuba nominates Raul Castro's successor Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Cuba has nominated First Vice President Miguel Diaz-Canel as the only candidate to succeed longtime President Raul Castro, as the country's National Assembly prepares to vote the next leader of the Communist-run island nation into office.
- Cuba Formally Proposes Miguel Diaz-Canel to Replace Raul Castro as President Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- Raul Castro, the 86-year-old head of the country's Council of State and Cabinet became the head of the Cuban state in 2008, succeeding his older brother and Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.
- South Korea 'mulling over peace deal' with North Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- South Korea is considering changing a decades-long armistice deal with North Korea to a peace agreement, as the leaders of the long-time rivals prepare for a historic summit later this month.
- S.Korea reviewing way to turn armistice into peace treaty in inter-Korean summit People's Daily 18 Apr 2018 -- South Korea's presidential Blue House said Wednesday that it was reviewing way to turn the current armistice on the Korean Peninsula into a peace treaty during the upcoming summit with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) later this month.
- Trump: Pompeo Met With Kim Jong Un In North Korea Last Week RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says that CIA Director Mike Pompeo met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in North Korea last week and that plans for a summit are being made.
- Trump Confirms CIA Chief Met With Kim Jong Un VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump confirmed Wednesday that his CIA director, Mike Pompeo, had held a secret meeting in Pyongyang with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- Kim Jong Un Meets Song Tao Again KCNA 18 Apr 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, once again met and had a talk with Song Tao, head of the International Liaison Department of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, on Tuesday.
- White House says no direct talks yet between Trump, DPRK's Kim People's Daily 18 Apr 2018 -- The White House said on Tuesday that the U.S. government has had talks "at the highest levels" with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), but there have been no talks yet between President Donald Trump and DPRK top leader Kim Jong Un.
- Trump says CIA chief met North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has confirmed that CIA director Mike Pompeo recently traveled to Pyongyang for a secret meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- Iran Bans State Bodies From Using Foreign Messaging Apps RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- Iran has banned all government bodies from using foreign-based messaging apps, as Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's office announced that his Telegram account would be shut down to protect national interests.
- China to build small nuclear plant in Iran: MP IRNA 18 Apr 2018 -- Tehran and Beijing have held talks on nuclear cooperation on China building sa mall nuclear plant in Iran, the head of Majlis (Parliament) nuclear commission said.
- Xi as China's lifetime president: what does it mean for Taiwan? CNA 18 Apr 2018 -- In a historic move, China's National People's Congress on March 12 approved constitutional changes to remove presidential term limits set on its leaders, allowing Chinese President Xi Jinping (???) to remain the country's president indefinitely.
- President Erdogan declares June 24 for snap elections in Turkey Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced that presidential and parliamentary elections slated for November next year would be held in late June.
- Turkey Moves to Extend State of Emergency Despite Calls for 'Immediate' Lifting Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- Turkey's opposition has been calling for an "immediate" lifting of the state of emergency in the country, which had been first introduced after the 2016 attempted military coup and has been extended since then.
- Erdogan Sets June 24 For Early Presidential, Parliamentary Elections in Turkey Sputnik 18 Apr 2018 -- Early presidential and parliamentary elections in Turkey will be held on June 24, 2018, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday after a meeting with the leader of opposition Nationalist Movement Party Devlet Bahceli.
- Turkey to Hold Elections in June, More Than a Year Early VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday called for early presidential and general elections on June 24 of this year. Polls had been scheduled for November 2019, but Erdogan said the unprecedented challenges facing the country made early elections a necessity.
- Sudan unable to finance its diplomatic missions: Foreign Minister Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- The foreign minister of Sudan has revealed that his country is unable to pay many of its diplomats abroad while some diplomatic missions across the world could be closed over rent problems.
- Aliyev Sworn In For Fourth Term As Azerbaijan's President RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- Authoritarian leader Ilham Aliyev has been sworn in to a fourth term as president of Azerbaijan after a landslide victory in an election boycotted by opponents and criticized by international observers.
- Armenians rally en masse after ex-president elected PM Press TV 18 Apr 2018 -- Tens of thousands of people in Armenia have taken to the streets in the capital, Yerevan, to protest the election by the parliament of former president Serzh Sargsyan as prime minister.
- Pashinian Continues To Lead Protests For An 'Armenia Without Serzh' RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- Thousands of Armenians have converged to Yerevan's central Republic Square, seeking to keep up a protest movement following the election of longtime former President Serzh Sarkisian as prime minister.
- Romanian Prosecutors Indict Former President For 1989 Uprising Deaths RFE/RL 18 Apr 2018 -- Romanian prosecutors have formally indicted former President Ion Iliescu for crimes against humanity, contending that he shares responsibility for the more than 1,100 deaths that occurred during the December 1989 anticommunist revolt.
- Rematch Likely in Indonesia's Next Presidential Election VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- Retired Indonesian military general Prabowo Subianto could be on a collision course with President Joko Widodo, widely known as Jokowi, for a rematch of their 2014 presidential election battle.
- Spain's Detention of Independence Leaders Riles Catalans VOA 18 Apr 2018 -- Spain's detention of nine Catalan independence leaders continues to stoke tensions ahead of their trials for rebellion. If predictions are borne out, the trials could be another flashpoint in the continuing constitutional crisis between Madrid and Catalonia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|