28 January 2018 Military News
- Trump Urges 'Decisive Action' Against Taliban After Deadly Attack in Kabul Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- US President Donald Trump on Sunday condemned the deadly terror attack in Afghanistan's capital of Kabul and expressed Washington's commitment to contributing to security in the Middle Eastern country.
- Analysts: Battle for Kabul Has Begun VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- Taliban attacks on two consecutive weekends in Kabul, which have killed hundreds of people, including Americans, have occurred in the midst of stepped-up efforts by the Trump administration to find a way out of the 16-year-old Afghan imbroglio.
- Afghanistan Observes National Day of Mourning as Toll Rises VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- Afghanistan is holding a national day of mourning Sunday, the day after insurgents used an explosives-laden ambulance to carry out a deadly attack outside a government building in Kabul.
- Trump demands 'decisive action' against Taliban after latest Kabul bombing Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has called for "decisive action" against the Taliban terrorist group by "all countries" in Afghanistan following yet another terror bombing in the country's capital Kabul that killed at least 95 people.
- Afghanistan Mourns More Than 100 Dead After Kabul Bombing RFE/RL 28 Jan 2018 -- Afghanistan's government has declared a day of mourning for January 28, after a bomb attack claimed by the Taliban in the capital killed more than 100 people.
- Death Toll in Terror Kabul Attack Reaches 103, Over 230 Injured - Reports Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- The death toll in Saturday's fierce attack in the Afghan capital rose to 103 people, while the number of those wounded increased to 235, 1TV channel reported Sunday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Boeing gets $24mn contract to replace coolers on US presidential plane Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- US aircraft maker Boeing Corporation has been awarded a nearly $24 million contract to replace two outdated refrigerators on the American presidential airliner, known as Air Force One.
- Purported Photo Lifts Veil Off Russia's Next Generation Air Defense Gun Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- Russia is developing a new generation of anti-aircraft artillery systems capable of taking out a wide array of aerial, ground and naval targets.
- Iranian navy's Damavand destroyer to be repaired soon IRNA 28 Jan 2018 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran's Army spokesman Brigadier General Taqikhani said that operations will start soon to repair the navy's Damavand destroyer.
- US gathers UN envoys to build missile case against Iran Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- United Nations Security Council (UNSC) envoys are set to visit Washington to see debris purportedly from a Yemeni missile that reached deep inside Saudi territory last year, with the US claiming that it was supplied by Iran.
- Where do Yemeni missiles come from? Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- Saudi Arabia's brutal military aggression against Yemen has taken quite a few drastic turns ever since its beginning in March 2015. The deadly war has seen Saudis use illegal weapons such as cluster bombs over populated areas without any raised eyebrows in the West.
- Yemeni PM Calls Clashes Organized by Southern Separatists in Aden Coup Attempt Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- The supporters of separation from the government have managed to capture a number of government buildings, including the HQ, in the port city of Aden, a source told Sputnik.
- Fierce Aden clashes split Saudi 'coalition' in Yemen Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- Several people are killed as mercenaries allied to Saudi Arabia fiercely fight pitched battles with separatists backed by the UAE in Yemen's southern city of Aden, deepening a rift between the two sides.
- Yemen Clashes Kill 10, Wound More as Separatists Seize Government Buildings VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- Yemen's prime minister Ahmed bin Dagher is accusing southern separatists of a coup after they seized several government buildings during fighting Sunday with government forces the port city of Aden.
- Erdogan says Turkey to clear entire Syrian border of terrorists Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will "clean" its entire border with Syria as Ankara continues its operation against the Kurdish militants supported by the United States in the Arab country.
- Turkey's Syria operation damages ancient temple in Afrin Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- An ancient temple has seriously been damaged in Syria's northwestern city of Afrin, where Turkey is leading an operation against US-backed Kurdish militants.
- Erdogan: Turkey Will Clean Its Entire Border With Syria From Terrorists Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- Turkey started a military operation dubbed Olive Branch in Syrian Afrin on January 20 to protect its borders from Kurdish militia, considered by Ankara as posing a terrorist threat to the country's security.
- Kurds Accuse Turks of Dropping Napalm VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- Kurdish officials say Turkish forces have been dropping napalm shells in what they describe as indiscriminate bombing of the countryside around Afrin, a Kurdish enclave that's taking the brunt of a Turkish offensive launched a week ago and called, inexplicably, Operation Olive Branch.
- Kurdish SDF Report of Turkish Airstrikes on Dam in Afrin Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- Since Turkey launched the "Olive Branch" military operation in Syrian Afrin on January 20, the Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) vowed to protect Kurdish people. One female YPJ fighter lost her life while blowing up a Turkish tank.
- Number of Civilians Killed in Turkish Operation in Syria's Afrin Reaches 86 Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- The Turkish military operation in Syria's northern Afrin district has claimed lives of 86 civilians, leaving 198 others wounded since its beginning a week ago, the Syrian state-run Sana news agency has reported, citing civilian sources.
- Syria Kurds boycott Russia peace talks over Turkish incursion Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- Syria's main Kurdish militant group has announced that it will boycott upcoming peace talks in Russia over a military incursion by Turkey into territories held by Kurds in northern Syria.
- Syria's Kurds Won't Take Part in Sochi Peace Talks Amid Turkish Op - Reports Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- The escalation between Turkey and Syrian Kurds broke through another threshold last week after Ankara had launched its Olive Branch operation in the Kurdish-majority Syrian town of Afrin.
- South Sudan Rebels Show Peace Gesture VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- The rebels of the Sudan People's Army in Opposition (SPLA IO), loyal to Riek Machar, said they handed over 15 South Sudan government soldiers to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) at the KoloPach airstrip in the Jonglei state.
- Time has come to impose sanctions on South Sudan: AU chief Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- Chairperson of the African Union Moussa Faki says restrictions must be imposed on those who are disturbing peace in South Sudan following a nearly four-year civil war in the African country.
- 5 terrorists killed, 16 arrested in clash with IRGC forces IRNA 28 Jan 2018 -- Announcing the end of a clash with a Daesh terrorist team in western Iran, an IRGC commander said five Takfiri terrorists were killed and 16 others arrested.
- IRGC arrests 16 ISIS terrorists in western Iran ISNA 28 Jan 2018 -- The commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) ground forces announced that 16 ISIS terrorists were arrested during an operation in the west of the country.
- Iranian Forces Kill Several Daesh Militants, Detain 16 Others in Western Iran Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- The forces of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) killed several militants of the Islamic State terror group (Daesh) in the west of the country, detaining 16 others, Tasnim news agency reported, citing Brig. Gen. Mohammad Pakpour, commander of the IRGC Ground Force.
- Fresh attack kills 4 soldiers in Mali's troubled north Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- Militants have launched a fresh attack on military personnel in Mali's lawless northern desert region, killing four soldiers.
- Jordan king: East Jerusalem must be Palestinian capital Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- Jordanian King Abdullah II bin al-Hussein has reiterated his support for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state, stating that East Jerusalem al-Quds must be the capital of such a country.
- Businesses shut down in Indian-controlled Kashmir over civilian killings Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- People in Indian-controlled Kashmir have shut down businesses in protest against the killing of two young men at the hands of New Delhi forces.
- UN Peacekeeper Killed in Democratic Republic of the Congo VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- A United Nations peacekeeper from Pakistan was killed in an ambush Saturday in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. He was deployed with the U.N. Stabilization Mission in the DRC, also know by its French acronym, MONUSCO.
- Turkish Navy Prevents Greek Def. Chief From Approaching Disputed Islets on Ship Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- According to the Turkish military, its navy has managed to stop a Greek coast guard motorboat and a patrol ship from approaching the disputed island of Imia (Kardak) in the Aegean Sea.
- Key Republicans Support Mueller Handling of Trump Probe VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- Key Republicans voiced strong support Sunday for special counsel Robert Mueller's handling of the investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, but split on whether Congress needs to approve legislation to block President Donald Trump from firing Mueller.
- Tension in East Africa Ticks Up Over Nile, Gulf Power Struggle VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- Tension in East Africa is rising after Ethiopia's prime minister this weekend rejected Egypt's suggestion the World Bank arbitrate ongoing disagreements over the construction of a dam on the Nile River.
- Greek Cypriots voting to elect new president Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- People in the Greek-majority Republic of Cyprus are taking to the polls to cast their ballots in a presidential election, with incumbent Nicos Anastasiades leading his rivals in polls.
- Russia opposition leader Navalny freed without charges after brief detention Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- Russian opposition Leader Alexei Navalny has been released without charges several hours after he was detained by police during a rally.
- Russian opposition supporters stage scattered rallies Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- The supporters of Russian opposition figure Alexei Navalny have staged scattered protest rallies in several cities in Russia, calling for the boycott of an upcoming presidential election.
- Russian Police Try To Pull The Plug, But Navalny's YouTube Protest Rolls On RFE/RL 28 Jan 2018 -- As Aleksei Navalny's followers came out in mass protests last March and June, the police were quick to pull the plug on the opposition leader's most potent tool for spreading his message: his YouTube channel.
- Navalny Among Scores Detained At Election Boycott Rallies In Russia RFE/RL 28 Jan 2018 -- More than 250 people, including opposition leader Aleksei Navalny, have been detained across Russia as they rallied in support of an election boycott.
- Russia's Winter of Election Discontent VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- Several thousand people braved sub-zero temperatures in cities across Russia to protest what they say is a lack of competition ahead of March presidential elections all but guaranteed to extend Vladimir Putin's grip on power through 2024.
- Thousands March in Pro-Opposition Rallies Across Russia VOA 28 Jan 2018 -- Thousands of pro-opposition marchers, some braving temperatures as low as minus 45 degrees Celsius, rallied in dozens of Russian cities Sunday to back jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
- FM Spokesman: Preserving regional peace, Iran's principled policy IRNA 28 Jan 2018 -- The principled and unchangeable policy of the Islamic Republic of Iran is to help preserve the peace, stability and security of the region, Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi said on Sunday.
- Mexico cracks down on criminal groups, announces troops deployment Press TV 28 Jan 2018 -- Mexico has announced that it will be deploying a new wave of troops to deal with criminal groups in regions where violence led to over 25,000 deaths last year.
- Niinisto Re-Elected as Finnish President With 62.7% of Votes Sputnik 28 Jan 2018 -- Incumbent Finnish President Sauli Niinisto ensured his re-election as the country's head with 62.7 percent of votes after voting ballots had been counted in all the polling stations, the Finnish Justice Ministry said in a statement on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|