30 October 2017 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 30 Oct 2017[PDF]
- Officials Provide Details of Latest Strikes Against ISIS AFPS 30 Oct 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, conducting 11 strikes consisting of 17 engagements in recent days, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 15 Afghan policemen killed in separate Taliban attacks Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- A total of 15 police officers have been killed in the east and south of Afghanistan in separate attacks by the Taliban militant group.
- Pakistan, US Divided on How to Initiate Afghan Peace Talks VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- Pakistan has cautioned the United States that "cooperation," not "coercion," is the way forward for the two countries to find a politically negotiated end to an increasingly deadly war in Afghanistan.
- California Army National Guard unit brings 1900-plus Soldiers to wildfire relief support Army News 30 Oct 2017 -- Never before has this battlefield been seen.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dunford Hosts Trilateral Meeting With South Korean, Japanese Military Leaders AFPS 30 Oct 2017 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff hosted a trilateral conference with South Korean and Japanese military leaders here yesterday.
- Grandmasters of combat: the 173rd Airborne Brigade's role in Exercise Eagle Strike Army News 30 Oct 2017 -- October skies filled with grey clouds hover over skyscraping trees abandoning their red, orange, yellow and purple leaves as the untouched ground below is lightly trod upon by unidentifiable specters carrying heavily camouflaged cold steel. They continue along silently, steadily, motivated. They are armed. They are alert. The specters are ready. They are the Sky Soldiers.
- Sustainment community flexes muscle during armor rotation Army News 30 Oct 2017 -- The 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division deployed from Fort Riley, Kansas to seven Intermediate Staging Bases throughout Poland during the 16th Sustainment Brigade's reception, staging, onward movement, and integration of the unit into the European theater.
- HST Strike Group Conducts Group Sail NNS 30 Oct 2017 -- The Harry S. Truman Strike Group (HSTSG) is underway for a three-week group sail off the coast of the Eastern United States, familiarizing themselves with one another in critical areas for future operations.
- USS Ashland Arrives in Okinawa After Rescuing Distressed Mariners, Transitions to Blue Chromite Preps NNS 30 Oct 2017 -- The amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) arrived in Okinawa Oct. 30, as part of a scheduled port visit to prepare for the joint U.S. exercise Blue Chromite.
- US Judge Blocks Trump Ban on Transgenders Serving in Military Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- The decision by a US federal judge comes after US President Donald Trump's decision to revise transgender admission to the US military.
- Incoming: US B-2 Nuclear-Capable Bomber Arrives in Asia Ahead of Trump Visit Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- The Pentagon has deployed a B-2 stealth bomber fitted out for carrying nuclear weapons to unidentified areas of the western Pacific ahead of next week's planned visit to the region by US President Donald Trump.
- Trump admin. drawing new plans to bolster US nuclear arsenal: Report Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump is working on a new nuclear weapons policy that would end the post-Cold War disarmament and allow Washington to expand its arsenal, new reports suggest.
- Two New Facilities Highlight SSC Atlantic's Commitment to Cybersecurity NNS 30 Oct 2017 -- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (SSC) Atlantic Commanding Officer Capt. Scott Heller marked the opening of two new facilities on Joint Base Charleston - Naval Weapons Station for teams providing cutting edge cybersecurity capabilities to prevent and mitigate cyber-attacks for our Navy and our nation. The ribbon cutting event took place Oct. 27.
- Warning NATO Operations at Serious Risk If Britain Sells Warships Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- Future NATO operations and Britain's naval power could be seriously damaged if the UK goes through with the sale of two amphibious assault warships, Whitehall sources have warned.
- Defence Secretary visits Tyneside shipyard as industry develops plans for new frigates UK MOD 30 Oct 2017 -- As part of his nationwide tour of UK shipyards, Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon paid a visit to A&P Tyne near Newcastle today, one of the yards that could be involved in building a new class of ships for the Royal Navy.
- British soldiers arrive in Estonia UK MOD 30 Oct 2017 -- 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh have deployed to Estonia
- Iran unveils new radar system for defense purposes IRNA 30 Oct 2017 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami unveiled a new radar system named Afaq (Horizons) on Monday.
- Iran unveils new sophisticated radar system ISNA 30 Oct 2017 -- Iran has unveiled a new sophisticated radar system called "Afagh" in the presence of Iranian defense minister.
- Iran Air Force to launch drills on Tuesday ISNA 30 Oct 2017 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force plans to launch air maneuvers on Tuesday recruiting the service of all the bases under its command throughout the country.
- Iran Air Force to stage large-scale drills Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force is to stage maneuvers recruiting the service of all the bases under its command throughout the country.
- South Korea considering no more THAAD deployment: FM Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- South Korea's foreign minister says Seoul is not considering any additional deployment of a controversial US missile system, THAAD, which has sparked anger both inside and outside the country.
- South Korea Not Considering Additional US THAAD Deployments - Foreign Minister Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- Seoul has reiterated the purpose of the THAAD deployment in South Korea amid the aggravation of the North Korean crisis.
- President Tsai vows to increase Taiwan's defense budget by 2% CNA 30 Oct 2017 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has promised to boost Taiwan's defense budget by at least 2 percent each year, taking into consideration the United States' concern over a growing military imbalance between Taiwan and China, Tsai Ming-yen (蔡明彥), deputy secretary-general of the National Security Council (NSC), said Monday.
- US Provides $60 Mln to Support Counterterror Efforts in Africa's Sahel Region Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- The money is expected to bolster the US' African partners in their fight against Daesh terrorist group (Islamic State, ISIS, banned in Russia).
- United States Pledging up to $60 Million in New Support for Security Assistance in the Sahel Region US Dept. of State 30 Oct 2017
- US Pledges $60M for Sahel Counterterror Force VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- The United States has pledged up to $60 million to support counterterrorism efforts by nations in Africa's Sahel region.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, 10/30/2017, #28 The White House 30 Oct 2017
- 30 October 2017 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 30 Oct 2017
- Millions of Yemenis in desperate health situation, warns MSF Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- The international medical charity Doctors Without Borders has warned that millions of Yemenis face a "desperate" health situation on top of the ravages of war as Saudi Arabia continues its military aggression against its impoverished neighbor.
- New round of Syria talks begins in Astana Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- A new round of Syria peace talks brokered by Iran, Russia, and Turkey has begun in Kazakhstan's capital of Astana.
- New Round Of Syrian Peace Talks Starts In Astana RFE/RL 30 Oct 2017 -- A seventh round of Syrian peace talks has started in Kazakhstan's capital, Astana.
- Russian Envoy for Syria Discussed Political Settlement With Assad Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- According to the Russian special presidential envoy for Syria, Syrian President Bashar Assad wants to stick to commitments undertaken previously concerning the transition to the political settlement after the main military phase of the fight against terrorism is completed.
- Russia Mulls Reducing Its Military Presence in Syria - Reports Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- Russia is reportedly considering a partial reduction of its military presence in Syria amid successes of the Syrian government forces in the fight against terrorists.
- With 13 million inside Syria needing aid, UN relief chief says impact of crisis remains 'profound' UN News 30 Oct 2017 -- The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or D'aesh) may be largely pushed out of Syria's Raqqa governorate, but after years of oppression and nearly a year of intense fighting – marked recently by heavy airstrikes – humanitarian needs will continue to be large for some time, the top United Nations relief official told the Security Council Monday.
- UN chief urges Security Council to 'be ambitious' in supporting Sahel anti-terror force UN News 30 Oct 2017 -- Stressing the urgent need to help Mali and other countries in the Sahel address cross-border terrorism and organized crime, Secretary-General António Guterres on Monday invited the United Nations Security Council to "be ambitious" in deciding how the UN supports the region's newly-established joint force.
- 10 villagers killed in Cameroon in suspected Boko Haram attack Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- A suspected raid by terrorists of Nigeria-based Boko Haram Takfiri group has left at least 10 people dead in a village in neighboring Cameroon.
- Abbas says Hamas ministers must recognize Israel: Report Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has reportedly said he would not appoint officials from the resistance movement Hamas to his cabinet if they did not openly and publicly recognize Israel.
- Millions at risk of starvation in conflict-torn areas of DR Congo: WFP Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- The United Nations food agency has appealed for urgent aid to avert a humanitarian crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where more than three million people are at risk of starvation.
- UN warns of 'looming humanitarian catastrophe' in DR Congo's strife-torn Kasai region UN News 30 Oct 2017 -- Some 3.2 million people in the Democratic Republic of Congo's (DRC) conflict-ravaged south-central Greater Kasai region are severely food insecure, struggling to feed themselves and in urgent need of assistance, the head of the United Nations food relief agency warned Monday.
- Indictment Against Manafort, Gates Details Elaborate Scheme VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- The indictment against Donald Trump's former campaign chief, Paul Manafort, and a longtime business associate alleged the two carried out an elaborate scheme that involved the use of a little-known outfit to mask years of lobbying on behalf of Ukraine's former president, his pro-Russia political party, and the Ukrainian government.
- Energy Consultant Lied to Authorities About Trump Campaign Role VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- When real estate mogul Donald Trump was running for the U.S. presidency, a young foreign policy adviser, George Papadopoulos, attempted to arrange a meeting between Russian government officials and the Trump campaign. Trump, in an interview at the time, described Papadopoulos as "an energy and oil consultant, excellent guy."
- White House Distances Trump from Mueller Probe Indictments VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- The White House went on the defensive Monday, distancing President Donald Trump from charges filed against two former campaign aides by Special Counsel Robert Mueller in connection with the probe into Russia's attempt to influence last year's presidential election.
- Mueller Indictments Explained VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- What happened Monday?
- Trump distances himself from Manafort: 'No collusion' with Russia Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has distanced himself from his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort who was indicted with conspiracy against the United State and other charges as part of special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation.
- Trump ex-campaign manager charged with conspiracy against US Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- The former campaign manager for US President Donald Trump, Paul Manafort, has been charged with conspiracy against the United States as part of the Russia inquiry.
- Former Trump Campaign Chairman, Business Associate Plead Not Guilty To Charges In Russia Probe RFE/RL 30 Oct 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, and his associate Rick Gates have pleaded not guilty to conspiring to defraud the United States in their dealings with Ukraine.
- Guilty Plea By Former Trump Campaign Aide Ratchets Up Pressure On White House RFE/RL 30 Oct 2017 -- If President Donald Trump has anything to worry about with the unfolding investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, it may not necessarily be from the newly issued indictments against his former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, and an associate.
- Manafort Indictment Welcomed In Ukraine, Long Plagued By Rampant Corruption RFE/RL 30 Oct 2017 -- Ukrainians long angered by Paul Manafort's work to bring what they regard as a kleptocratic, pro-Russia administration to power in Kyiv celebrated news of the American political consultant's indictment on October 30.
- Trump Advisor Kushner Makes Unannounced Saudi Arabia Visit - Reports Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- US presidential adviser Jared Kushner conducted an unannounced visit to Saudi Arabia earlier in the week, Politico reported Sunday, citing an unnamed White House official.
- Spain chief prosecutor files rebellion charges against Catalan leaders Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Spain's chief prosecutor says he is seeking criminal charges against Catalonia's ousted leaders following the region's declaration of independence from Madrid.
- Catalan Parliament Recognizes Spain's Decision to Dissolve the Body Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- Madrid has previously invoked Article 155 imposing direct rule over Catalonia, with Prime Minister Rajoy calling for regional elections in December.
- Transfer of Power from Catalan to Central Spanish Government Begins VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- Spain's state prosecutor says he will seek charges of sedition and rebellion against ousted Catalan Cabinet officials.
- Rouhani: US statesmen seeking to disappoint Iranian nation IRNA 30 Oct 2017 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Monday that the American statesmen are seeking to hatch plots regarding the 2015 nuclear deal and their main conspiracy is to make the Iranian nation hesitant towards the country's future economy and prosperity.
- Iran dismisses UN Jahangir's report as 'based on false information' IRNA 30 Oct 2017 -- Iran's Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Sadeq Amoli Larijani said on Monday that a recent report by Asma Jahangir, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Iran, has been based on false information.
- Executive construction operation of 2 nuclear plants to start in Bushehr tomorrow IRNA 30 Oct 2017 -- The executive construction operation of two nuclear plants will kick off on Tuesday in Bushehr, south of Iran, Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi.
- AEOI Spokesman: Amano resolved to strengthen JCPOA IRNA 30 Oct 2017 -- A senior nuclear official said on Sunday that Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Yukiya Amano is to strengthen the current status of the (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action).
- FM trying to decrease impact of US lack of commitment on JCPOA IRNA 30 Oct 2017 -- The foreign ministry is trying hard to alleviate the influence of the destructive work by the US government on Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), a senior diplomat announced.
- Iran says Rouhani rejected Trump's request for meeting ISNA 30 Oct 2017 -- Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi announced that Iranian President rejected a meeting requested by his American counterpart in the sideline of the 72nd UN General Assembly in New York.
- Iran abiding by nuclear-related commitments: Amano Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has once again reiterated Iran's adherence to the 2015 nuclear agreement with the P5+1 group of countries, stressing that UN inspectors are facing no problems in their verification efforts.
- New US policy on Iran 'serious threat': Baqeri Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Iran's military Chief of Staff Major General Mohammad Baqeri says a new policy announced by the Trump administration is a "serious threat" aimed at toppling the Islamic Republic.
- North Korea Prepares City Evacuations, Blackout Drills as US Threat Increases Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- Multiple sources have told NK News that North Korea has been conducting unprecedented mass evacuation and blackout drills in cities and towns along the east coast of the country as tensions between North Korea and the US continue to rise.
- Xi urges study, implementation of CPC congress spirit People's Daily 30 Oct 2017 -- General Secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee Xi Jinping has said that the study and implementation of the "spirit of the 19th CPC National Congress" is the "primary political task" for the Party and country from now on.
- Iran will lift border restrictions with Iraq's Kurdistan soon: Top commander Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- A senior Iranian commander says the country will remove its border restrictions with Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region "in the coming days," lifting curbs imposed after last month's independence referendum in the region.
- Iraqi premier calls on Kurdish people to abide by law after outbreak of riot Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has called for "calm" and "adherence to law" in the semi-autonomous Kurdish region following an outbreak of riot there after Massoud Barzani, the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG)'s president, announced that he would effectively step down early next month.
- Kurdistan's Barzani fires parting shots at US Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Masoud Barzani, who resigned as the president of Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region on Sunday, has delivered pointed remarks against the United States for ditching its putative allies, the Kurds.
- Barzani Stepping Down, Elections to Help Unite Forces in Parl't - Kurdish Party Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- A representative of the Kurdistan Democratic Party has revealed to Sputnik the balance of power in Iraqi Kurdistan and plans on regional elections after Barzani's resignation. The US State Department has also commented on the developments in the Iraqi autonomous region following the independence vote opposed by Baghdad.
- Political Transition in Iraqi Kurdistan Region US Dept. of State 30 Oct 2017 -- The United States commends the decision of Masoud Barzani not to seek an additional term as President of the Iraqi Kurdistan Region and the vote of the Iraqi Kurdistan Parliament to distribute presidential authorities to other Kurdish Regional Government (KRG) institutions
- US Commends Kurdish Leader Barzani for Stepping Down VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- The United States is commending Masoud Barzani's decision to step down from his position as president of Iraq's Kurdistan region.
- Analysts: Turkey May Pay Heavy Price for Iraqi Kurdish Leader's Resignation VOA 30 Oct 2017 -- Iraqi Kurdish leader Masoud Barzani's announcement he plans to step down was greeted with jubilation in Turkey's pro-government media. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused Barzani, his once close ally, of betrayal for his decision to hold an October independence referendum.
- Macron Signs Anti-Terror Law to Replace State of Emergency in France Sputnik 30 Oct 2017 -- The French anti-terror legislation is set to replace the state of emergency that has been prolonged six times since November 2015 attacks in Paris.
- UN chief stresses prevention, support for victims in counter-terrorism speech UN News 30 Oct 2017 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres today reiterated the importance of preventing terrorism by addressing its root causes, supporting victims of terrorism and enhancing human rights, in a world where security threats and challenges are rapidly evolving.
- U.S.-Taiwan ties vital to peace in Asia Pacific: President Tsai CNA 30 Oct 2017 -- President Tsai Ing-wen ((蔡英文) said Saturday Taiwan's ties with the United States have never been stronger and that the partnership was important to maintain peace in Asia.
- Turkish mayor resigns under 'unbearable' pressure from Erdogan Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Another mayor has resigned in Turkey over what he called pressure and threats "beyond unbearable" by the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his ruling Justice and Development (AK) Party.
- Turkey resumes mass trial of 221 'coup ringleaders' Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Turkey has reopened a mass trial of 221 suspects over their alleged involvement in a failed July 2016 coup against the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Kenyan President Kenyatta wins 98 percent of vote in repeat election Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Incumbent Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has been declared the winner of the east African country's election re-run, amid fears of further violence in flashpoint opposition strongholds.
- Bahrain FM calls for freeze on Qatar's GCC membership Press TV 30 Oct 2017 -- Bahrain has called for Qatar's membership of the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council to be suspended until it accepts the demands of its neighbors as a diplomatic standoff continues between Doha and a Saudi-led group of nations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|