09 July 2017 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Strikes Continue in Effort to Defeat ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Jul 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria yesterday, conducting 25 strikes consisting of 75 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russian Navy Frigate Admiral Essen Embarks on Its Mission to Syrian Waters Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- The Russian Navy's newest guided-missile frigate Admiral Essen has left the city of Sevastopol, the home of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, and embarked on its mission to Syrian waters where it will join the group of Russian warships, a source in Crimean law enforcement agencies told Sputnik.
- Russia: North Korea tested medium-range missile not intercontinental Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- Russia has said that North Korea did not fire an intercontinental ballistic missile in its recent test despite the US's insistence that it did.
- China Has No Military Contacts With North Korea Amid Escalating Crisis Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) does not currently maintain any contacts with the North Korean military amid escalation of crisis on Korean peninsula, local media reported Sunday, citing senior military official.
- Germany starts pulling out troops from Turkish base Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- German defense authorities have finally ordered the start of withdrawal of troops from a base in southern Turkey after the two countries failed to settle disputes on how Berlin could access the base.
- Germany Starts Military Withdrawal From Turkish Incirlik Airbase Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- Germany started on Sunday the withdrawal of its forces from the Turkish Incirlik airbase, what was approved by Bundestag in June following Berlin's row with Ankara, German media reported.
- Combating threats needs modern equipment: Deputy commander Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- Fighting threats requires modern equipment, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Army Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said.
- Libya's General Haftar in UAE for talks on military 'cooperation' Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- Libya's eastern commander Khalifa Haftar has met with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) leaders for talks on military cooperation despite UN criticism of the Persian Gulf country's meddling in Libya's internal affairs.
- Putin: Boost of Civil Production By Defense Industry Complex to Become Priority Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- The increase of civil production volumes is one of the key priorities for the defense industrial complex, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Sunday.
- Newly-brokered truce comes into force in southwestern Syria Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- A ceasefire recently brokered by Russia, the US and Jordan has taken effect in southwestern Syria in a bid to curb violence in the Arab country.
- Ceasefire in Syria 'important step' in fighting terrorism Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- The ceasefire deal between the United States and Russia is an "important step" in fighting terrorism, says US National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster.
- U.S. Security Chief Says Syria Cease-Fire 'Important Step' As Area Residents Await Start RFE/RL 09 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's security adviser says a cease-fire about to take effect in southwest Syria is an "important step" toward eventual peace throughout the country.
- Partial ceasefire in south-western Syria goes into effect SPA 09 Jul 2017 -- A partial ceasefire brokered by the United States and Russia took effect in south-western Syria on Sunday, a monitoring group reported, according to dpa.
- US Fulfills Syrian Democratic Forces' Wish List: Weapons and Armed Vehicles Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- A representative of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) told Sputnik Turkiye on condition of anonymity that the US has supplied them with yet another batch of weapons and armed vehicles in accordance with the list of demands they drew up. Their demands have increased, the source said, as Daesh have strengthened their resistance near Raqqa.
- Syrian Cease-fire Intact Ahead of Fresh Peace Talks VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- A cease-fire in Syria brokered by the United States and Russia held through Sunday, ahead of a new round of U.N.-sponsored peace talks to finally bring an end to the six-year civil war.
- DM congratulates Iraqi counterpart on Mosul liberation IRNA 09 Jul 2017 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan congratulated to the Iraqi armed forces and nation on the occasion of the liberation of the city of Mosul.
- Shamkhani congratulates liberation of Mosul to Iraqi nation, Ulema IRNA 09 Jul 2017 -- Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani said on Sunday that liberation of Mosul has its roots in leadership of religious figures, wisdom of Iraqi government and courage of Iraqi army and volunteer forces.
- Iraqi PM congratulates victory over Daesh in Mosul IRNA 09 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi visited Mosul on Sunday and declared complete Iraqi forces' victory over Daesh (ISIS), reports said.
- Iraqi PM announces victory over Daesh terrorists in Mosul Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has announced final "victory" over the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Mosul after eight months of combat against the extremists, which has left parts of the country's second largest city in ruins.
- Iraqi PM Visits Liberated Mosul To Celebrate Victory Over Islamic State RFE/RL 09 Jul 2017 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi congratulated the country's armed forces for the victorious eight-month battle to liberate Mosul from three years of being ruled by the extremist group Islamic State (IS).
- Mosul Completely Liberated by Iraqi Armed Forces From Daesh - PM Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- The Iraqi Armed Forces completely liberated the country's capital from Daesh terrorists, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced on Sunday.
- Fighting Continues as Iraq Celebrates Victory Over IS VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- Inch by inch, house by house, Iraqi forces continue to fight remaining Islamic State militants in Mosul even as officials celebrate victory. The battle is now in such tight quarters that coalition airstrikes against IS targets shake Iraqi-held buildings.
- Top US diplomat says Russia must reduce tensions in eastern Ukraine Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has called on Russia to end the violence in eastern Ukraine and says that American and European sanctions would remain in place until Moscow reversed policy in the region.
- UN chief Guterres calls on Ukraine, pro-Russians, to adhere to ceasefire Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has called on both the Ukrainian government and pro-Russia forces in the east to respect the terms of a ceasefire reached last month.
- Tillerson Delivers Blunt Message to Russia During Ukraine Visit RFE/RL 09 Jul 2017 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson delivered a blunt message to Russia during a trip to Kyiv on July 9, saying the Kremlin must take the first step to ease tensions in Ukraine and that sanctions against Moscow will remain until it does so.
- US has Told Russia to De-escalate Ukraine Eastern Violence VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- During his first official visit to Kyiv Sunday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that the U.S. has told Russia it must take the first steps to de-escalate violence in Eastern Ukraine.
- Azerbaijan Accuses Armenia of 109 Karabakh Truce Violations in Last 24 Hours Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- According to Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry, Armenia has violated the ceasefire regime in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region 109 times over last 24 hours.
- US Raises Pressure on Kashmir Militants Fighting India VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- The U.S. State Department has declared Syed Salahuddin, the Pakistan-based chief of Hizbul Mujahideen, as a "global terrorist," and imposed new sanctions aimed at suppressing his organization, one of the major militant groups fighting against Indian rule in Kashmir.
- Trump Says He Twice 'Strongly Pressed' Putin on US Election Meddling VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Sunday that he twice "strongly pressed" Russian President Vladimir Putin about Russia's meddling in last year's U.S. election and it was now time to "move forward in working constructively" with Moscow.
- Trump denies discussing Russia sanctions with Putin Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- US President Donald Trump says Western economic sanctions against Russia were left out of the discussion during his meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Trump Says He Didn't Discuss Sanctions At Hamburg Meeting With Putin RFE/RL 09 Jul 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he did not discuss sanctions during a meeting with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, at the Group of 20 (G20) summit in Hamburg earlier this week.
- Report: Russia Behind Hacking of US Energy, Nuclear Companies VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- Hackers who penetrated the business networks of U.S. energy and nuclear companies in recent weeks were working for the Russian government according to a report in a prominent newspaper.
- Tillerson Travels to Kuwait in Hopes of Brokering Qatar Deal VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson travels to Kuwait Monday to try to help broker a deal between Qatar and its Gulf neighbors.
- Qatar setting up committee to pursue compensation for Saudi-led blockade Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- Qatar says it is establishing a committee to pursue compensation claims arising from an unprecedented blockade imposed against the Persian Gulf country by four Arab countries, dubbed as the siege states, led by Saudi Arabia.
- UK rules out military escalation in Saudi-led crisis Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has called on Saudi Arabia and its Persian Gulf allies to end their blockade and siege of Qatar as he continued his tour of the Persian Gulf.
- Four Arab States to Continue Efforts to Change Qatar's Policy - Egyptian FM Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- Four Arab states boycotting Qatar will pursue their commitment toward changing Doha's policy, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Sunday.
- We will eventually have success on North Korea, Trump tells Xi Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- US President Donald Trump says it may take longer than expected to deal with North Korea and its nuclear program but eventually there will be "success".
- Gunpowder Hotspot: Pyongyang Warns of Nuclear War After US Live-Fire Drills Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- The People's Democratic Republic of Korea (DPRK) has warned of imminent nuclear war following a US live-fire bombing run near its border on Friday, speedily implemented as a response to Pyongyang's July 4 demonstration of what Washington believes to be its ability to strike the US mainland with an ICBM.
- US to Increase Pressure on China to Enforce Sanctions Against North Korea VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- The United States will step up pressure on China to ensure that it enforces sanctions against North Korea in the wake of Pyongyang's recent missile launch, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said Sunday.
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is determined to firmly face whoever dares to harm its stability and security, King says SPA 09 Jul 2017 -- The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has said that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is determined to firmly face whoever dares to harm its stability and security and get him accountable and punished.
- Tillerson Marks Failed Turkish Coup Anniversary VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has marked the anniversary this week of last year's failed coup coup in Turkey, praising the courage of the Turkish people in defending democracy but failing to mention the widespread government crackdown that has followed since.
- Massive Istanbul Crowd Protests Erdogan's Crackdown on Rights VOA 09 Jul 2017 -- Tens of thousands of people massed in Istanbul Sunday to protest Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's crackdown on critics of his government in the wake of last year's failed military coup.
- Turkish Intelligence Believes Amnesty International Preparing Coup in Country Sputnik 09 Jul 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused on Saturday the international human rights organization Amnesty International of preparing a new coup attempt in the country, citing intelligence data.
- Mongolian Opposition Candidate Wins Presidential Runoff Vote RFE/RL 09 Jul 2017 -- A former martial-arts expert and opposition candidate has won a runoff election for Mongolia's presidency, results from election officials show.
- Real estate tycoon wins Mongolia presidency Press TV 09 Jul 2017 -- A real estate tycoon and former wrestling champion has claimed victory in Mongolia's presidential runoff.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|