11 December 2016 Military News
- US military claims killing 50,000 Daesh terrorists in Iraq, Syria Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- A senior US military official has claimed that the the so-called "coalition" forces have killed 50,000 Daesh (ISIL) terrorists in the past two years throughout Iraq and Syria, pointing to a figure that is considerably larger than previous estimates.
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Hit Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 11 Dec 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter and Lt. Gen. Townsend in Qayyarah West, Iraq DoD 11 Dec 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Carter, Iraqi Prime Minister Discuss Next Moves in Mosul Fight AFPS 11 Dec 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter today met with Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in Baghdad, where the two leaders discussed the campaign to liberate the Iraqi city of Mosul from Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists and other issues, according to a Defense Department news release.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Kurdistan Regional Government President Masoud Barzani DoD 11 Dec 2016
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi DoD 11 Dec 2016 -- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter met with Iraqi Prime Minister? Haider al-Abadi today during his final visit to Baghdad as secretary of defense.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Secretary Carter's Visit to Iraq to Thank U.S. Troops, Discuss Next Steps in ISIL Fight DoD 11 Dec 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter arrived in Iraq Sunday for a visit to recognize and thank U.S., coalition, and Iraqi troops engaged in the counter-ISIL campaign, survey key locations directly supporting the battle for Mosul, and discuss the next steps in the fight with Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi, Kurdistan Regional Government President Masoud Barzani as well as CJTF-OIR Commander Lt. Gen. Steve Townsend.
- Secretary Meets With Kurdistan Regional Government President in Iraq AFPS 11 Dec 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter met today with Kurdistan Regional Government President Masoud Barzani in Irbil, Iraq, where the two leaders discussed the latest developments in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a statement.
- Official: 'Some' Haqqani Leaders Present in Pakistan VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- A top Pakistan Foreign Ministry official has said that "some" members of the terrorist Haqqani network are present in the country, but Islamabad is not allowing any group to conduct terrorist activities in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Vice Chief of Naval Operations Visits USS Makin Island NNS 11 Dec 2016 -- Vice Chief of Naval Operations (VCNO) Adm. Bill Moran and Fleet Master Chief April Beldo visited Sailors and Marines deployed to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8), Dec. 11.
- Inside look: A sensor operator's first weapons strike AFNS 11 Dec 2016 -- The feelings experienced during combat missions can be intense for many aircrew members. For Airman 1st Class Matthew, a 20-year-old 15th Attack Squadron MQ-1 Predator sensor operator, his first air strike was an event he will never forget.
- Trump Says No Need for $4Bln Plane as 'Air Force One' Row Continues Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- US President-elect Donald Trump stated that there was no need for a multibillion-dollar plane to fly him around commenting that Boeing had asked too much money for new planes known by the call sign "Air Force One," to be used by US presidents.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Combat Drill of Special Operation Battalion of KPA Unit 525 KCNA 11 Dec 2016 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK, guided the combat drill of the service personnel of the special operation battalion of KPA Unit 525.
- North Korea Conducts Drills Imitating Takeover of Seoul Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un attended drills by his country's special forces unit that imitated the destruction and capture of specific strategic targets in South Korea, including the South Korean presidential residence, the Blue House.
- DPRK Will Bolster up Self-defensive Deterrent: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 11 Dec 2016 -- Shortly ago, the UNSC, whose mission is to preserve international peace and security, followed the moves hostile to the DPRK under pressure of the U.S., being lost to impartiality. Therefore, it is denounced and cursed to have been reduced to the waiting maid of a specified country.
- North Korea Now Has an ICBM That Can Reach US Mainland Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- North Korea is now in possession of a nuclear intercontinental ballistic missile that can reach the US mainland, according to a senior US military official.
- 'Prophet Mohammad- 4' military drill kicks off in South East Iran IRNA 11 Dec 2016 -- The 'Prophet Mohammad- 4' military drill started in the presence of Commander of the Iranian Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiumars Heidari on Dec 11 (Sunday) in South East of Iran (Konarak-Iranshahr).
- Army Ground Forces start large-scale wargames in SE Iran Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- The Iranian Army has launched large-scale military drills in the country's southeast in an effort to enhance the combat readiness of its Ground Forces.
- China lodges solemn representations against Japan in Miyako Strait incident People's Daily 11 Dec 2016 -- China is seriously concerned and makes "solemn representations" regarding an incident on Saturday where Japanese fighter jets closely harassed and shot decoy projectiles at Chinese air force planes, Defense Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun said in a press release.
- Yemeni lawmakers approve National Salvation Government Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- Yemen's recently-formed National Salvation Government wins a vote of confidence from the parliament, raising hopes that the ongoing political efforts would help restore peace to the conflict-ridden country.
- Aleppo militants safe passage deal with US unreal: Russia Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- Russia has denied claims made by militants that it has reached an agreement with the US over giving the terrorists safe passage out of Syria's Aleppo.
- Daesh pulls out of Syria's Palmyra under Russia air raids: Monitoring group Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- Daesh Takfiri terrorists have reportedly withdrawn from the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra amid counter-operations by government forces backed by Russian fighter jets.
- Some 80% of Palmyra Residents Evacuated, Rest Still in Danger - Homs Governor Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- Syrian government forces managed to evacuate some 80 percent of Palmyra population, the fate of the rest is cause for concerns, Homs Governor Talal Barazi announced.
- Syrian Army Trying to Regain Control of Daesh-Attacked Palmyra - Homs Governor Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- The Syrian Army has moved to the suburbs of Palmyra and is fighting Daesh, the governor of the Homs Province said on Sunday.
- Palmyra Residents Evacuated, Syrian Army Fighting Daesh in Suburbs - Source Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- The residents of Palmyra have been evacuated, and the Syrian Army is fighting Daesh in the suburbs of the ancient city, a source familiar with the situation told RIA Novosti on Sunday.
- Daesh Moves Reserves to Palmyra Thanks to Pause in US-Controlled Raqqa Offensive Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- Daesh managed to move considerable forces from Raqqa to Palmyra after the US-backed offensive of Arab and Kurdish rebels was stalled, Russia's center for Syrian reconciliation said on Sunday.
- Daesh Suffering Heavy Losses Trying to Seize Palmyra, Syrian Army Resisting Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- Daesh terrorists have made another attempt to capture the city of Palmyra, Russia's center for Syrian reconciliation said on Sunday.
- Syrian Army Waging Fierce Battle Repelling Daesh Attacks on Palmyra Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- The Syrian Army continues repelling Daesh attacks on the city of Palmyra on Sunday, the country's state news agency SANA said.
- Russian Jets Deliver 64 Strikes on Militants Near Palmyra, Shielding the City Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces delivered 64 airstrikes on militants and thwarted their attempt to break into Palmyra during the night.
- Report: Syrian Rebels Receive US-backed Proposal for Abandoning Aleppo VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- Three Syrian opposition officials say outmatched rebels battling Russia-backed government forces in eastern Aleppo have received a U.S.-backed proposal to join with civilians in leaving the city, under safe passage guaranteed by Russia.
- Islamic State Fighters Recapture Palmyra VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- A Syrian monitor says Islamic State jihadists have recaptured the Syrian city of Palmrya, during what has become a back-and-forth battle for control of the famed desert city.
- Syrian Army Pushes Daesh Out of Palmyra, Regains Full Control Over City - Source Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- The Syrian army managed to repel a Daesh attack on Syrian Palmyra, regaining full control over the embattled city, a source in militia reported.
- Syrian HNC Ready to Resume Talks Without Preliminary Conditions - French FM Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault stated that the Syrian opposition High Negotiations Committee (HNC) is ready to resume talks without preliminary conditions and the talks should continue on transparent basis within the framework of UN resolution 2254.
- Kerry Calls on Syrian Opposition in Aleppo to Make First Step Toward Peace Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry urged Syrian rebels on Saturday to make the first step toward ending the fighting in Aleppo, after meeting foreign ministers from allied countries.
- Eight killed in Daesh car bombings in Fallujah Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- At least eight people have been killed and several others injured in two car bomb attacks at security checkpoints in Iraq's western city of Fallujah in western Anbar province.
- Daesh Moves 5,000 Terrorists to Syrian Raqqa, Deir ez-Zor From Iraqi Mosul Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- Intelligence data showed that up to 5,000 Daesh terrorists have been moved to Syria's Raqqa and Deir ez-Zor from Iraq's Mosul, Russian Reconciliation Center said in a statement on Sunday.
- Islamic State Mounting 'Fierce,' 'Creative' Defense of Mosul VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- Nearly two months into the assault on the Islamic State's last major stronghold in Iraq, the unbridled optimism that accompanied the initial, rapid advance is gone.
- On Iraq Front Lines, Hope and Concern Over Trump War Policy VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- Bullets wiz into the sand outside the Iraqi Army base, an abandoned home on the edge of the village, as two wounded men are carried into pick-up trucks, just back from a nearby battle. The vehicles race into the desert, leaving plumes of dust in their wake.
- Turkey's Erdogan vows to continue fight against terror Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the recent deadly bombings in Istanbul would not dent the determination of his government in the fight against terrorism.
- Turkish Authorities Suspect PKK Behind Istanbul Attack Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- The Turkish authorities have reasons to believe that the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants could have been behind the attack that shook Istanbul overnight, Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said Sunday.
- UN chief condemns terrorist attack in Turkey's Istanbul UN News 11 Dec 2016 -- Senior United Nations officials, including Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the head of the UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) condemned last night's terrorist attack in the Turkish city of Istanbul that killed dozens of people and injured many more.
- Kurdish Militant Group Claims Bomb Attack that Killed 38 in Istanbul VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- A Kurdish militant group has claimed responsibility for the bombings that killed at least 38 people and wounded more than 150 others in the Turkish city of Istanbul.
- Kiev says 3 troops killed in eastern Ukraine clashes Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- Kiev says fresh clashes between its soldiers and pro-Russia fighters have left three Ukrainian soldiers dead and two wounded in Ukraine's east.
- Terrorism 'will not stop the momentum,' says UN envoy, condemning attack in Somali capital UN News 11 Dec 2016 -- Condemning – in the strongest possible terms – a terrorist attack outside the seaport in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu, the Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General (SRSG) for the country said that the bloody act will not stop the momentum of the electoral process.
- 20 Killed in Blast Near Mogadishu Port VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- A massive truck bomb exploded outside Mogadishu's new seaport Sunday morning, killing at least 20 people and wounding dozens others.
- Blasts leave casualties in Nigerian city Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- Two deadly bomb blasts near a crowded marketplace in Nigeria's northeastern city of Maiduguri have left more than a dozen casualties.
- Distrust growing between Trump, US intelligence agencies Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- US intelligence officials have expressed mounting concern and confusion about how to proceed in President-elect Donald Trump's incoming administration because of its open hostility to the function and role of spy agencies.
- Trump: I Don't Need Daily Briefings, My Cabinet is On Top of Things Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- US President-elect Donald Trump, who has courted controversy by eschewing the traditional daily intelligence and national security briefings offered to presidents and presidents-elect, has said he doesn't need them because he's "a smart person."
- FBI, CIA 'not on same page' about Russia's role in US election Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- The CIA and the FBI appear to be divided in their assessment of whether Russia intervened in the 2016 election to help Republican Donald Trump clinch the White House, according to a report.
- Trump Criticizes CIA Conclusions On Russia Election Interference RFE/RL 11 Dec 2016 -- U.S. President-elect Donald Trump has criticized the CIA's conclusion that Russia interfered in the presidential election, saying it was being used by Democrats as "just another excuse" for his defeat of Hillary Clinton.
- Trump, Staff Call Russia Hack Claims 'Ridiculous,' 'Insane;' Senators Want Probe Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- President-elect Donald Trump and his staff have dismissed new claims of Russian election hacking, while Congressional leaders call for more action on cybersecurity.
- Trump: CIA Conclusion 'Ridiculous' That Russia Interfered to Help Him Win Election VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- U.S. President-elect Donald Trump says the Central Intelligence Agency's conclusion that Russia interfered in last month's presidential election to boost his chances of winning was "ridiculous," calling it "just another excuse" by Democrats for his upset of former U.S. secretary of state Hillary Clinton.
- China's training missions near Taiwan a show of capability: experts CNA 11 Dec 2016 -- Two recent training missions by Chinese military aircraft near Taiwan can be regarded as strategical declaration by China that it is capable of engaging in military operations not just west of Taiwan, but also on the east side, according to two Taiwanese analysts.
- Trump Rejects One-China Policy on Taiwan Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- US President-elect Donald Trump said that the conversation with Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen was initiated by the Taiwanese side and involved Tsai's brief congratulations on his electoral victory.
- Trump Questions Whether US Should Continue 'One China' Policy VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- U.S. President-elect Donald Trump questioned Sunday whether the United States should continue its "one China" policy that includes its Taiwan province, unless Beijing offers concessions on trade and other issues.
- Trump questions US commitment to 'one-China' policy Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- US President-elect Donald Trump has questioned America's commitment to the "one-China" principle in the China-Taiwan row, saying Washington should only side with Beijing on certain conditions.
- President Xi stresses integrating law, virtue in state governance People's Daily 11 Dec 2016 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, has underscored governing the country by both law and virtue, so as to modernize the state governance system and capability.
- People vote to pick Election Committee members in Hong Kong Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- People in Hong Kong have taken to the polls to elect their representatives in the Election Committee, which is in turn responsible for choosing the autonomous region's new leader.
- China launches new-generation weather satellite People's Daily 11 Dec 2016 -- China launched a weather satellite at 12:11 a.m. Sunday, marking an upgrade of China's meteorological satellites in geostationary orbit.
- Troops Deployed in Gambia After President Rejects Election Defeat Sputnik 11 Dec 2016 -- Troops have been deployed in the capital of the Gambia after President Yahya Jammeh suddenly rejected his defeat in last week's election.
- Nigeria relocates Zakzaky, spouse over assassination attempt fears Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- The detained leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) and his wife have been relocated to an undisclosed safe location amid fears of assassination attempts.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hits out at U.S.-sponsored Anti-DPRK "Human Rights" Farce at UNSC KCNA 11 Dec 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to the question raised by KCNA Sunday as regards the U.S.-sponsored discussion of the "human rights issue" of the DPRK at the UN Security Council:
- Supreme Leader: US is not trustworthy IRNA 11 Dec 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that the US governments have always been at odds with sovereignty of the Islamic states such as Iraq and that no one should be deceived by their smiles.
- Iran refutes UK PM for unfounded claims at Persian Gulf Cooperation Council IRNA 11 Dec 2016 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan on Sunday refuted UK prime minister Theresa May for anti-Iran claims she made at the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council.
- Iran signs contract to buy 80 Boeing aircraft ISNA 11 Dec 2016 -- The U.S. aircraft maker Boeing will send 80 passenger planes to Iran in a period of 10 years.
- Iran Air, Boeing finalize plane purchase deal Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- Iran's flag carrier 'Iran Air' says it has signed a much-awaited agreement with US aviation giant Boeing to purchase 80 planes.
- South Korea prosecutors indict ex-presidential aides in scandal probe Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- South Korean prosecutors have charged two former senior presidential aides as part of an investigation into a massive corruption scandal that led to the impeachment of president Park Geun-hye.
- UN Security Council strongly condemns terrorist attack in Egyptian capital, Cairo UN News 11 Dec 2016 -- Strongly condemning today's terrorist attack at the St. Peter's Church attached to St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, the United Nations Security Council stressed that those responsible for the attack should be held accountable.
- Blast at Cairo Coptic Cathedral Complex Kills 25 VOA 11 Dec 2016 -- An explosion at Cairo's Coptic Orthodox cathedral complex Sunday has killed at least 25 people and wounded nearly 50 others.
- Gambia's Jammeh to challenge election result in court Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- The Gambia's long-time President Yahya Jammeh is set to challenge in court opposition candidate Adama Barrow's election victory.
- UN, African Union urge Gambian rule to respect vote results Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- The United Nations and the African Union have urged the Gambian president to pave the way for a peaceful transfer of power to his successor a day after he rejected results from the recent presidential election in the country.
- Kyrgyz Voters Back Amendments On Same-Sex Marriage, Presidential Power RFE/RL 11 Dec 2016 -- Kyrgyz election officials said voters have overwhelmingly backed amending the constitution to ban same-sex marriage and shift some presidential powers to the prime minister.
- Voters in Kyrgyzstan approve constitution reform Press TV 11 Dec 2016 -- Voters in Kyrgyzstan have approved a set of controversial constitutional reforms that strengthen the hand of President Almazbek Atambayev and boost the executive powers of the prime minister.
- Explainer: An Unpredictable Election Unfolds In Moldova's Breakaway Transdniester RFE/RL 11 Dec 2016 -- Moldova's unrecognized breakaway Transdniester region holds a presidential election on December 11 and, unexpectedly, the region's de facto leader finds himself fighting for his political life.
- Moldova Condemns Election In Breakaway Transdniester Region RFE/RL 11 Dec 2016 -- Six candidates are running to be the self-styled president of the unrecognized Transdniester state, including incumbent Yevgeny Shevchuk.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|