Daesh Moves Reserves to Palmyra Thanks to Pause in US-Controlled Raqqa Offensive
15:47 11.12.2016(updated 16:08 11.12.2016)
Daesh managed to move considerable forces from Raqqa to Palmyra after the US-backed offensive of Arab and Kurdish rebels was stalled, Russia's center for Syrian reconciliation said on Sunday.
More forces and equipment were relocated from the vicinity of Deir ez-Zor.
The Syrian Army backed by Russian aircraft is currently maintaining defense in the city.
Terrorists launched their previous attack on the city on Saturday. Their offensive was thwarted by the actions of the government forces supported by Russian warplanes.
Despite the defeat, the terrorists are again trying to attack the city from the northern, eastern and southern sides. Their perceived goal is to capture al-Amiriyah town northeast of Palmyra and a nearby industrial area, Syria's SANA news agency said.
The Syrian Arab Army, backed by the Russian Aerospace Forces, liberated Palmyra in March, 2016, nearly a year after it was captured by Daesh, which is outlawed in Russia, in May 2015. During the invasion, the militants destroyed a number of ancient objects, including necropolis, the Arch of Triumph, as well as the temples of Baal Shamin and Bel.
Earlier in November, the Syrian Democratic Forces announced Operation Wrath of Euphrates to reclaim the city of Raqqa from the militants. Captured in 2013, Raqqa serves as Daesh's de facto capital in Syria.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|