27 November 2016 Military News
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 27 Nov 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US expands power of elite military unit to hunt 'terrorists' globally Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- The Obama administration has granted expanded powers to US military's secretive Joint Special Operations Command (JSOP) to track, plan and stage attacks on "terrorist cells" across the globe out of purported concerns that Daesh (ISIL) militants may engage in terror against Western targets after being flushed out of Syria and Iraq.
- Russia to Deploy New Space Surveillance System Elements in Four Regions Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- Advanced elements of the Russian Space Surveillance System will be deployed in a number of the country's regions, including Crimea and the Far East, in the next few years, according to Andrey Ivashina, spokesman for the Russian Aerospace Forces.
- Serbian soldiers protest against low wages Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Serbian army soldiers have for the first time staged a protest in the capital, Belgrade, to express their anger over low wages and poor working conditions.
- Taiwan on top of China's military activity: MND CNA 27 Nov 2016 -- Taiwan has been staying on top of and is aware of China's military activity, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Sunday, after six Chinese military planes flew near Japan's Okinawa Islands two days ago.
- Greenland Pushes Denmark to Clean Up Dangerous American Military Junk Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- Greenland is asking Denmark to clean up US military junk left behind by Cold War-era American military projects on the giant island.
- IRGC chopper crash kills 5 in northern Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- A chopper belonging to the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps has crashed in the northern Iranian waters of the Caspian Sea, leaving all five people on board dead, an IRGC commander says.
- Iran Navy fleet set to cross Atlantic Ocean in near future: Commander Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the country's naval forces should have a far-reaching arm in the high seas, adding that they will sail across the Atlantic in the near future.
- Israel ups order for US-made F-35 stealth fighter jets to 50 Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Israel has approved the purchase of 17 Lockheed Martin F-35 stealth fighter jets from the US, bringing the total order to 50 war planes.
- Pakistan's Defense Minister: No Immediate Policy Changes By New Army Chief RFE/RL 27 Nov 2016 -- Pakistan's Defense Minister says there will be no immediate shift in the country's military policy under the newly appointed army chief of staff, Lieutenant General Qamar Javed Bajwa.
- Pakistan Appoints an 'Extremely Professional' Army Chief Sputnik 28 Nov 2016 -- Career infantry officer Qamar Javed Bajwa has been appointed head of Pakistan's army, succeeding General Raheel Sharif, who has retired after his three-year term.
- Egypt Denies Sending Troops to Syria Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- Egyptian Foreign Ministry dismissed media reports that Cairo sent troops to Syria, according to official statement of ministry spokesman.
- Egypt rejects reports on military presence in Syria Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Egypt has denied Arab media reports claiming that Cairo has military presence in Syria.
- China's Aircraft Flights Near Japan's Okinawa Part of Planned Drills Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- A spokesman to the Chinese Air Force said that flight of Chinese aircraft near the Japanese airspace was part of the planned drills, which is the internationally accepted practice.
- Yemeni forces hit Saudi positions in retaliatory attacks Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Yemen's army and fighters of the popular committees have carried out retaliatory attacks against military positions on the Saudi territory amid the kingdom's ongoing airstrikes.
- Syrian army forces, allies liberate two more districts in eastern Aleppo Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Syrian army soldiers have established full control over two more neighborhoods in the eastern quarter of the strategic northwestern city of Aleppo following days of bitter clashes with foreign-backed Takfiri militants.
- Nearly 500,000 kids living under siege in Syria: UNICEF Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) estimates that almost half a million kids are living in 16 besieged areas across Syria, which has been gripped by a deadly foreign-sponsored militancy for over five years.
- Syria Government Forces Say Second East Aleppo District Taken RFE/RL 27 Nov 2016 -- The Syrian army says it has taken control of the second district of eastern Aleppo from rebels in two days.
- Syrian Army Frees Eight Aleppo Districts From Terrorists, Evacuates 2,500 People Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- Syrian troops liberated eight districts from terrorists in Eastern Aleppo on Sunday, evacuating more than 2,500 civilians, the Russian Center for Syria reconciliation announced.
- Syrian Army Helps 1,500 People Leave Rebel-Held Eastern Aleppo Districts Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- The Syrian Army helped 1,500 people leave Aleppo's eastern part controlled by militants.
- Syrian Forces Take Control of Another District in Eastern Aleppo Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- Syrian government forces have established full control of the Jabal Badro district in the rebel-held Syrian city of Aleppo, an army source told Sputnik on Sunday.
- Turkish General Staff Says Daesh Used Chemical Weapon in Syria Against FSA Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- According to media reports, The Daesh jihadist group has used chemical weapons in northern Syria against the troops of the Free Syrian Army.
- Nearly 500,000 Syrian Children Completely Cut Off From Humanitarian Aid - UNICEF Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- Nearly 500,000 children are currently living in besieged areas in war torn Syria without any access to humanitarian aid, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said in a press release on Sunday.
- Turkey Accuses IS of Chemical Attack in Syria VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- Turkey said Sunday it suspects Islamic State fighters used chemical weapons against Turkish-backed rebels in northern Syria.
- Syrian Government Forces Press Offensive in Eastern Aleppo VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- Russian-backed Syrian government forces pushed deeper on Sunday into the ruins of eastern Aleppo, in an apparent strategy aimed at splitting the rebel-held sector of the once vibrant city.
- Qatar will continue supporting Syria militants even if Trump pulls US out Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Qatar says it will continue to supply militant groups in Syria with arms even if US President-elect Donald Trump halts US support.
- At least 126 Daeshi terrorists killed in Mosul operations Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- A total of 126 Daesh terrorists have been killed during operations by the Iraqi army, anti-terrorism forces, and police aimed at liberating the city of Mosul.
- Iraqi Kurds find two new mass graves containing 18 bodies near Mosul Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga fighters have found two mass graves in the country's northern province of Nineveh, which are thought to be containing the bodies of more than a dozen Izadi Kurds murdered by Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- Iraq scholars hail parliament vote to legalize Hashd al-Sha'abi Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- The association of Iraq's Sunni Muslim scholars has hailed the parliament's recent recognition of the Shia-majority Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), known as Hashd al-Sha'abi, as a subdivision of the country's armed forces.
- Ethnic strife claims 34 civilian lives in eastern DR Congo Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- More than 30 civilians have been killed in an attack by militiamen from Nande ethnic group in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- 55 killed in Uganda clashes: Police Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Clashes between military forces and a tribal militia in a remote western district of Uganda have left at least 55 people dead.
- At Least 54 People Killed in Uganda Fighting VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- Fierce fighting between security forces and a separatist militia believed to be loyal to a tribal king in Uganda's Rwenzori western region left at least 54 people dead, authorities said Sunday.
- Philippines military pounds positions of Daesh affiliate group in south Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- The military in the Philippines has shelled the positions of a terrorist group affiliated to Daesh in the south of the country, killing and wounding a number of combatants.
- Mass Rallies Planned As Cuba Mourns Castro RFE/RL 27 Nov 2016 -- Cubans are being called to converge on Havana's Revolution Square on November 28 as the communist island nation mourns the death of longtime leader Fidel Castro.
- Cuba Begins Week of Mourning Castro as Reactions Mixed VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- Cuba has announced a period of mourning following the death of Fidel Castro, the communist island-nation's revolutionary leader.
- Castro's Death Highlights Stark Contrast Between Obama, Trump on Cuba VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- The death of former Cuban President Fidel Castro has put U.S. policy toward Cuba back in the spotlight, and is highlighting stark differences in the world view of President Barack Obama and President-elect Donald Trump.
- Improved US-Cuban Economic Ties in Doubt when Trump Assumes Presidency VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- The nascent growth in U.S. business ventures in Cuba is now in doubt, with uncertainty whether U.S. President-elect Donald Trump will carry out his campaign vow to undo President Barack Obama's diplomatic thaw with the communist island that ended five decades of hostilities between the two countries.
- Is Castro's Death a Turning Point for Human Rights? VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- Six decades after declaring history would absolve him, Fidel Castro's life has ended and his troubled human rights legacy can be considered.
- Canada's Trudeau Chided for Castro Praise VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- The reactions of world leaders to the death of Fidel Catro included sorrow and sometimes criticism for the former Cuban leader. But Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's praise for the revolutionary and dictator's "dedication and love for the Cuban people" was swiftly rebuked by some Canadian and U.S. politicians.
- Fidel the noble revolutionary IRNA 27 Nov 2016 -- Fidel Castro, following six decades of standing against Imperialism, maybe the last leader whose name is going to go down in the world history of noble revolutionaries.
- Fidel Castro: A Revolutionary Who Held Onto Power Through Repression RFE/RL 27 Nov 2016 -- Fidel Castro portrayed himself as a champion of the poor against repressive regimes.
- Leader: US reneged on JCPOA for extension of expired sanctions IRNA 27 Nov 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Sunday reprimanded US officials for extension of the expired sanctions, saying that such a conduct runs counter to the nuclear deal which prohibited fresh sanctions.
- Iran Cleric Receives Jail Sentence VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- The son of a late Iran revolutionary was sentenced Sunday to six years in prison.
- Fillon wins French center-right presidential primary Press TV 27 Nov 2016 -- Former French Prime Minister Francois Fillon has won the country's center-right party's nomination in the presidential primary.
- Fillon Wins France's First Conservative Presidential Primary VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- Former prime minister Francois Fillon has won France's conservative presidential primary, beating a more moderate rival who had warned of encroaching populism.
- From Bad to Worse: S Korean Leader Could Be Involved in Another Corruption Case Sputnik 27 Nov 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye could have been involved in one more case of corruption, Yonhap reported Sunday.
- Uzbek 'Extremists' Blacklisted After Prolonged Absence RFE/RL 27 Nov 2016 -- Uzbekistan's government has long warned of the dangers of militant Islam in a region where religious expression was routinely suppressed under Soviet rule. The emergence this decade of Islamic State (IS) and its particularly brutal ideology, along with its global recruitment efforts, has lent greater urgency to Tashkent's and other governments' efforts to combat religious and other forms of extremism.
- Saakashvili Holds Rally In Support Of New Political Movement In Ukraine RFE/RL 27 Nov 2016 -- A diverse crowd of about 1,000 people turned out in central Kyiv for a rally in support of a new political movement headed by Mikheil Saakashvili, the reformist former Georgian president who has launched a second political career in Ukraine.
- Ghana Electoral Commission Approves Election Monitors VOA 27 Nov 2016 -- The Electoral Commission of Ghana has begun approving local and international poll observer groups to monitor the December 7 presidential and legislative elections. The electoral commission, however, says groups affiliated with political parties would not be allowed to monitor the polls.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|