13 September 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 13 Sep 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Lt. Gen. Harrigian via teleconference from Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar DoD 13 Sep 2016 -- Presenter: Lieutenant General Jeffrey Harrigian, commander, U.S. Air Forces Central Command
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 13 Sep 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- ISIL Tries to Challenge U.S.-led Coalition's Momentum, OIR Official Says AFPS 13 Sep 2016 -- With significant progress and momentum in the U.S.-led coalition's fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the enemy will try to challenge the coalition in Mosul, Iraq, and Raqqa, Syria, the commander of Operation Inherent Resolve's combined force air component told reporters today.
- Growing Daesh Military Capacity Threatens Afghanistan in 2017 Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- The Daesh continues to mobilize, recruit, to build up military potential and next year the terrorist group may pose a more formidable challenge in Afghanistan, according to the Russian presidential envoy for Afghanistan and senior Foreign Ministry official.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy Conducts First Live Fire NIFC-CA Test with F-35 NNS 13 Sep 2016 -- The Navy hosted its first live fire demonstration to successfully test the integration of F-35 with existing Naval Integrated Fire Control-Counter Air (NIFC-CA) architecture Sept. 12.
- Remarks by Secretary Carter in TechCrunch Disrupt Fireside Chat, San Francisco, California DoD 13 Sep 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Media Availability by Secretary Carter in San Francisco, California DoD 13 Sep 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- USS Ross Pulls into Toulon, France NNS 13 Sep 2016 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Ross (DDG 71) pulled into Toulon, France for a scheduled port visit Sept. 13.
- Transparency Has Place in Intelligence World, DoD Official Says AFPS 13 Sep 2016 -- Transparency and intelligence seem like mutually exclusive terms, but they are not, the undersecretary of defense for intelligence said here today.
- Senior Officials: DoD Supports Strong Encryption for Defense, Commercial Security AFPS 13 Sep 2016 -- The Defense Department supports strong encryption to protect military capabilities and commercial encryption technology that is critical to U.S. economic security, senior DoD officials said here today.
- USS Decatur MEDEVAC Exemplifies Importance of US, ROK Partnership NNS 13 Sep 2016 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Decatur (DDG 73) was assisted by the Republic of Korean navy (ROKN) in an emergency medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) to help a Sailor in need of medical attention Sept. 11.
- Iran threatened to shoot down US military planes, US official claims Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Iran threatened to shoot down US Navy EP-3 and P-8 aircraft over the weekend as they were flying in the northern Persian Gulf, a US military official has claimed.
- U.S. flies B-1B bombers over S.Korea after DPRK's nuke test People's Daily 13 Sep 2016 -- The U.S. military on Tuesday flew two nuclear-capable supersonic bombers over South Korea in a show of force following the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s recent nuclear test.
- S. Korea, U.S. agree to seek further sanctions on DPRK over nuke test People's Daily 13 Sep 2016 -- Top nuclear envoys of South Korea and the United States agreed on Tuesday to seek the strongest possible sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) over its recent nuclear test.
- US taunts North Korea by flying bombers over South Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The US has flown two heavy bomber jets over South Korea, a move that is expected to stir more tension on the Korean Peninsula following a recent nuclear test by the North.
- Russia to Equip Lider-Class Destroyers With Visual Optical Interference Stations Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- Advanced Grach visual optical interference stations "blind" enemy troops and optoelectronic devices, such as night vision equipment, binocular glasses and laser ranging devices with bright flares of light, according to media reports.
- Russia, China Join Forces to Ensure Freedom of Navigation in South China Sea Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- The "Naval Interaction 2016" naval exercises by Russia and China in the South China Sea are intended to protect the balance of power in the region amid growing activity from the US, experts told Russian business newspaper Vzglyad.
- PLA Air Force to regularize training over First Island Chain People's Daily 13 Sep 2016 -- Several People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force aircraft, including H-6K bombers, flew over Bashi Channel toward the Western Pacific Ocean for high-sea training on Sept. 12, a spokesperson of the PLA Air Force said.
- India, China Hold Talks on Disarmament and Non-Proliferation Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- India and China held a fresh round of arms control consultations in New Delhi. The talks covered issues of mutual interest in the area of disarmament and non-proliferation.
- IRGC defense, deterrence power growth will never stop: Commander Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is increasing its defense and deterrence capabilities day by day without any halt in order to counter enemies.
- IRGC Navy showcases long-range fast cruising vessel Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy has unveiled a domestically-designed and -manufactured long-range and fast cruising vessel with a helipad on its deck to accommodate a helicopter gunship.
- 1st indigenous helicopter carrier joins IRGC naval forces IRNA 13 Sep 2016 -- The first home-made helicopter carrier joined the naval forces of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) during a ceremony here on Tuesday.
- Cmdr rejects US officials' false claim of vessels' confrontation IRNA 13 Sep 2016 -- Commander of the navy forces of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Ali Fadavi on Tuesday dismissed 'sheer lie' of American officials that the IRGC vessels had encountered US ships in the Persian Gulf and the distance between the two had not been observed.
- US navy harassment claims sheer lies: IRGC commander Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has dismissed as "sheer lies and untrue" the US claims that an American warship patrolling the Persian Gulf was harassed by Iranian boats.
- US, Israel to Sign Record Military Aid Deal VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- U.S. officials said the United States would sign a record 10-year multibillion-dollar security assistance deal with Israel on Wednesday - "the single largest pledge of bilateral military assistance in U.S. history."
- US and Israel agree on new record military aid Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The United States and Israel have agreed on a record new package of at least $38 billion in US military aid over a 10 year period.
- Pakistan To Conduct First War Games With Russia This Year RFE/RL 13 Sep 2016 -- Pakistan and Russia will hold their first-ever joint military exercises later this year, signalling what may be an emerging realignment in South Asia amid cooling relations between Islamabad and Washington.
- US Partially Lifts Afghanistan Helicopter Maintenance Sanctions Against Russia Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- US has partially lifted sanctions against cooperation on helicopter maintenance in Afghanistan, the Russian presidential envoy to Afghanistan said Tuesday.
- EU Defense Union Will be 'Alternative to NATO, Prevent Mass Purchases From US' Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- The recently-proposed EU defense union, borne of a Franco-German initiative, will seek to avoid duplicating NATO's functions; instead, it will aim to act as an alternative to the alliance, and prevent the mas
- September 13, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 13 Sep 2016
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz en route Philadelphia, PA The White House 13 Sep 2016
- 13 September 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 13 Sep 2016
- UN humanitarian official "deeply disturbed" by unrelenting attacks on civilians in Yemen UN News 13 Sep 2016 -- The top United Nations humanitarian official in Yemen has voiced apprehension over a series of deadly air strikes on a water well which killed and wounded dozens of people in the country's centre.
- Background Briefing on Syria US Dept. of State 13 Sep 2016 -- Special Briefing BY Senior Administration Officials
- Syrian Army shoots down Zionists' fighter jet, drone IRNA 13 Sep 2016 -- Syrian Army announced Tuesday that it has shot down a fighter bomber and a spy drone belonging to the Zionist regime in Quneitra in southwest of Syria.
[Syrian Army shoots down Zionists' fighter jet, drone (UPDATED)]
- Syria condemns fresh Israel attack on Quneitra Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Syria has denounced the Israeli regime's fresh airstrike on the southwestern Quneitra province, situated in the Golan Heights, calling on the United Nations to take measures against the Tel Aviv regime over its support for terrorists operating inside the Arab country.
- Syria 'shoots down Israeli jet, drone' Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The Syrian army says it has shot down an Israeli warplane and a drone inside Syria following an Israeli attack on Syrian army positions in the south, state media report.
- Syrian Army Command Confirms Shooting Down Israeli Aircraft Over Quneitra Region Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- Syrian air defense troops shot down an Israeli warplane and an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) over the southwestern province of Quneitra, the Syrian army command said in a statement Tuesday.
- Israel Denies Syrian Report of Downed Israeli Warplane, Drone VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- Syria and Israel issued conflicting claims Tuesday about the fate of Israeli military aircraft that conducted airstrikes on the Syrian side of the border in the Golan Heights area.
- UN envoy: First full day of Syrian ceasefire sees "a significant drop in violence," but humanitarian access still needed UN News 13 Sep 2016 -- Some 24 hours after the latest cessation of hostilities in Syria began, a United Nations envoy today said that despite allegations of mortar shelling and airstrikes yesterday evening, violence in the country has declined substantially.
- US, Russia Look at Creating Joint Integration Center on Syria VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- A widespread calm appears to be holding in Syria as a cease-fire brokered by the U.S. and Russia continued into its second day.
- US-backed militants violating Aleppo ceasefire: Russia Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Russia says US-backed militant groups in Syria have violated the new ceasefire 23 times since it entered into force in the northwestern city of Aleppo.
- Syria urges coordination for aid deliveries to Aleppo Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Syria says the delivery of humanitarian aid to the divided northwestern city of Aleppo, especially those provided by Turkey, should be coordinated with the Damascus government and the UN.
- US-led strikes should target Fateh al-Sham terrorists: Russia Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has criticized the US-led coalition's refusal to conduct air raids in Syria on positions held by the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, calling on Washington to reverse its course.
- Syria truce mustn't allow terrorists to rearm: Iran Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan has warned that supporters of terrorist groups in Syria may use the ceasefire agreement in the country to rearm the militants.
- Syria says militants violating truce Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The government in Syria has announced that militants hostile to Damascus have violated a ceasefire that took effect late Monday.
- Syrian Army Fully Implements New Ceasefire Regime - Russian General Staff Sputnik 13 Sep 2016 -- The Syrian government troops fully halted fire, with exception of areas where the Daesh and Nusra Front terrorists are operating, according to the statement of the Russian General Staff.
- Tensions Flare Between Turkey, Kurds Over Syria's Manbij VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- Tensions are on the rise between Turkey and the YPG Syrian Kurdish militia, centering on the fate of the Syrian city of Manbij. Ankara is demanding the YPG withdraw from Manbij and allow Free Syrian Army forces to take control, a call that has so far been rejected.
- Eid Cease-fire in Syria Brings Widespread Calm but Some Fighting Continues VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- A cease-fire in Syria entered its first full day Tuesday with reports of widespread calm and a few instances of violence.
- PKK leader 'calls for end to no-win war' with Turkey Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The imprisoned leader of a separatist Kurdish militant group in Turkey has reportedly invited the Turkish government back to the negotiating table.
- Western powers urge Haftar forces to withdraw from seized oil ports Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Western powers have called on forces loyal to Libya's powerful general, Khalifa Haftar, to leave the oil ports they have seized from the country's UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA).
- Activists Say Crimeans Face Threats, Intimidation Ahead Of Russian Vote RFE/RL 13 Sep 2016 -- Rights groups say the Russian-imposed authorities in Crimea are using threats and intimidation to get out the vote in parliamentary elections that Ukraine has denounced as illegitimate because they are being held on territory seized by Moscow.
- Ukraine Rebel Leader Announces Unilateral Truce VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- The separatist leader in eastern Ukraine's Donetsk region has announced a unilateral cease-fire starting at midnight on Wednesday.
- Indian forces kill two protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Two people have been killed in fresh clashes between Indian forces and pro-independence protesters in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- Iran concludes 'historic' border pact with Oman Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Iran says it had concluded a "historic" accord with Oman that demarcates the Islamic Republic's maritime border with the fellow Persian Gulf littoral state.
- Philippine president urges withdrawal of US special forces Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has urged the United States to withdraw its special forces troops from a group of southern islands about a week after a diplomatic row between the two sides.
- Advocates for Rohingya Press Aung San Suu Kyi for Immediate Relief VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- When Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi meets President Barack Obama at the White House this week, activists will be watching to see how the pro-democracy icon will address the plight of the country's ethnic Rohingya, whom human rights groups say are among the world's most persecuted minority groups.
- Security Council approves proposed structure and size of UN Mission in Colombia UN News 13 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council today approved the Secretary-General's recommendations regarding the size, operational aspects and mandate of the UN Mission in Colombia, including the deployment of 450 unarmed observers and the establishment of operation in 40 locations.
- South Sudan Government Dismisses Clooney Corruption Report VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- A spokesman for South Sudan's president, Salva Kiir, has dismissed the findings of a report that accuses Kiir and former vice president Riek Machar of amassing huge wealth while millions of South Sudanese go without food.
- US Envoy: Washington Flexible on North Korean Nuclear Talks VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- In South Korea Tuesday two American B-1 bombers flew in from Guam as a show of force, while on the ground U.S. and South Korean diplomats met to coordinate strategies to respond to North Korea's fifth nuclear test, conducted Friday.
- UN food relief agency provides assistance to 140,000 people affected by flooding in northern DPRK UN News 13 Sep 2016 -- The United Nations food relief agency has delivered food assistance to more than 140,000 people in the north of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), where they have been affected by some of the worst floods in recent history – and expressed concern about their continued vulnerability as an extremely cold winter is approaching and major food losses are expected.
- DPRK Citizens Hail Nuclear Warhead Test KCNA 13 Sep 2016 -- The more persistent the U.S. remains in putting pressure and sanctions on the DPRK, the stronger the latter's reaction will grow, said Choe Chol, a professor of University of National Economy.
- Turkey asks US to detain Gulen for 'ordering' July coup Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The Turkish government has sent an official request to the United States demanding the arrest of Pennsylvania-based opposition figure Fethullah Gulen on charges of "ordering" the failed July 15 coup d'état in Turkey.
- US Unlikely to 'Speed Up' Gulen's Extradition to Turkey VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- Turkey has formally requested that the U.S. government extradite Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen from the state of Pennsylvania where he has lived in self-imposed exile for 17 years. Ankara has accused Gulen and his followers – known as the Hizmet movement – of orchestrating a failed July 15 coup attempt that left more than 270 dead and thousands wounded. Gulen denies any role in the coup attempt.
- Possible Russian Meddling with US Elections Worries Key Defense Officials VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- Top U.S. defense officials insist they are not turning a blind eye to fears that Russian hackers are trying to hijack upcoming U.S. presidential and local elections.
- France Looks at Its Prisons as Ground Zero in Terror Battle VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- Reports of new incidents trickle in steadily through the French media. Ten radical Islamists are quietly removed from the massive Fleury-Merogis prison over fears of an uprising. In another prison, homemade weapons are discovered in the cell of at least one suspected radical.
- Three Suspects With Links to Paris Attackers Arrested in Germany VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- German authorities have arrested three men suspected of membership in Islamic State, who allegedly were sent into the country by the terrorist group last year.
- White House Rejects Calls To Pardon Snowden For Leaking State Secrets RFE/RL 13 Sep 2016 -- The White House has rejected a call by the director of a new film on former intelligence contractor Edward Snowden for President Barack Obama to pardon him for leaking state secrets.
- Philippines President Steers New Foreign Policy Path VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- Political analysts and commentators in the Philippines say President Rodrigo Duterte is steering the country's foreign policy towards a more nationalist narrative, marking a shift from recent Philippine leaders.
- China unseats 45 lawmakers over involvement in election fraud Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- The standing committee of China's National People's Congress (NPC) has decided to disqualify 45 lawmakers representing a northeastern province over electoral fraud.
- Foreign minister still optimistic about Taiwan's ICAO bid CNA 13 Sep 2016 -- Foreign Minister David Lee (李大維) said Tuesday that he is optimistic about Taiwan's participation in this year's assembly of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), despite the fact that Taiwan has so far not received an invitation to the meeting scheduled to kick off later this month.
- U.S. respects Taiwan's U.N. bid: MOFA CNA 13 Sep 2016 -- The United States has expressed understanding and respect for Taiwan's efforts to participate in international organizations, including the United Nations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Tuesday.
- Venezuela pushes back announcing date for opposition final move Press TV 13 Sep 2016 -- Venezuela's electoral board has postponed announcing a date for the opposition to begin collecting the votes it needs to trigger a recall referendum against the government of President Nicolas Maduro.
- Somalia Hosts Regional Summit for First Time in 40 Years VOA 13 Sep 2016 -- East African heads of state met in Mogadishu on Tuesday, marking the first time war-torn Somalia has hosted an international summit in more than 40 years.
- Almost 300,000 migrants and refugees reached Europe over past 8 months - UN partner agency UN News 13 Sep 2016 -- Close to 300,000 migrants and refugees have reached Europe between the start of this year and mid-September, with most of them entering through Greece and Italy, according to an update from the International Organization for Migration (IOM) today.
- More has to be done to deliver on European commitments for asylum seekers - UN refugee agency UN News 13 Sep 2016 -- Highlighting that the number of pledges to relocate asylum-seekers continues to be woefully low and its implementation slow and challenging, the United Nations refugee agency today called on European countries to do more to deliver significantly on the commitments they have made.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|