29 August 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 29 Aug 2016 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Iraq, Syria AFPS 29 Aug 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- UK warship to join US fleet in Persian Gulf Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- Royal Navy destroyer HMS Daring is slated to join a fleet of US warships stationed in the Persian Gulf, UK Defense Secretary Michael Fallon says.
- UK warship to join campaign against Daesh UK MOD 29 Aug 2016 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has announced that warship HMS Daring will deploy to the Gulf as the UK's latest contribution to the campaign against Daesh.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Fueling the future: AF works to 'home-grow' biofuels for DOD, industry AFNS 29 Aug 2016 -- A need to address increases in petroleum costs with an environmentally friendly fuel source has led to a new way of looking at production–and the Defense Production Act Title III Program Office, part of the Air Force Research Laboratory, is playing a critical role in commercializing this technology.
- USS Fort Worth Arrives in Cebu NNS 29 Aug 2016 -- Littoral combat ship USS Fort Worth (LCS 3) arrived in Cebu, Philippines Aug. 28 for the ship's second port call on its transit back to homeport.
- USS Decatur, USS Spruance Conduct Anti-Submarine Warfare Exercise with Japan NNS 29 Aug 2016 -- Guided-missile destroyers USS Decatur (DDG 73) and USS Spruance (DDG 111) conducted bilateral training exercises in the Philippine Sea with the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMDSF), Aug. 22-26.
- Ike Celebrates One Year Out of the Yards NNS 29 Aug 2016 -- Aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) (Ike) celebrated the one-year mark since returning to operational status as it continues to support Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR) in the Arabian Gulf, Aug. 28.
- PCU Illinois (SSN 786) Delivered Early to the Navy NNS 29 Aug 2016 -- The Navy accepted delivery of Pre-Commissioning Unit (PCU) Illinois (SSN 786), the 13th submarine of the Virginia class Aug. 27, early to its contract delivery date.
- F-35 surges forward with record-breaking weapons tests AFNS 29 Aug 2016 -- The F-35 Integrated Test Force here recently completed 25 missions comprised of 12 weapons delivery accuracy and 13 weapon separation tests as part of a monthlong weapons firing test surge.
- Joint exercise prepares Airmen, Soldiers for contingency ops AFNS 29 Aug 2016 -- Green Flag Little Rock 16-09 kicked off Aug. 18 with about 750 Army paratroopers jumping from several C-130J Super Hercules and C-17 Globemaster III aircraft in the dead of night to seize and secure an assault zone.
- AF opens enlisted RPA pilot program to all AFSCs AFNS 29 Aug 2016 -- Using a phased-application approach, Air Force senior leaders are casting a wider net to ensure more active-duty enlisted Airmen are eligible to apply for the service's RQ-4 Global Hawk remotely piloted aircraft program, a Pentagon official said Aug. 29.
- CertEx complete: SPMAGTF ready for deployment USMC News 29 Aug 2016 -- Marines and sailors with Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force, Crisis Response, Central Command 17.1 conducted their Certification Exercise at Combat Center, Aug. 22 through 25.
- USS Coronado Departs Hawaii for Western Pacific Deployment NNS 29 Aug 2016 -- Littoral combat ship USS Coronado (LCS 4) departed Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Aug. 26 to continue its independent deployment to the Western Pacific.
- USS Houston Decommissions After 33 Years of Service NNS 29 Aug 2016 -- Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine USS Houston (SSN 713) was decommissioned during a ceremony held at Deterrent Park at Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, Aug. 26.
- Deputy Secretary General in Romania outlines NATO's response to new security environment NATO 29 Aug 2016 -- NATO Deputy Secretary General Alexander Vershbow outlined NATO's response to the new security environment in a speech at the Annual Meeting of Romanian Diplomacy in Bucharest on Monday (29 August 2016). Noting that challenges posed by Russia and from terrorism "will be with us for many years to come," he stressed that "NATO has always done what was necessary to protect the territory of its Allies and the freedom of its people."
- Strive to build a strong, modern strategic support force: Xi People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday urged efforts to build a strong and modern strategic support force for the Chinese armed forces.
- New law on national defense transport ready for vote People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- The draft law on national defense transport, which was deliberated for the second time on Monday, was ready to be submitted to China's top legislature for approval.
- Air Force to further enhance anti-missile capabilities People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- The Chinese Air Force is suggesting it may move to increase the capabilities of the country's existing anti-missile capabilities.
- China's first military air ambulance debuts People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- The Military Transportation Institute under the Logistics Support Department of China's Central Military Commission (CMC) completed the final month-long environmental qualification test on China's first air ambulance jointly developed through military-civilian cooperation on August 19.
- China urges for restraint on DPRK's ballistic missile launch People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- China on Monday called on all parties concerned to maintain restraint and remain calm over the ballistic missile launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) last Wednesday.
- Carter Hosts Indian Counterpart, Praises Strong Bilateral Ties AFPS 29 Aug 2016 -- With strong cooperation in defense and technology and in peace and security, the U.S.-India relationship is "destined to be one of the defining partnerships of the 21st century," Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today.
- U.S.-India Joint Statement on the visit of Minister of Defence Manohar Parrikar to the United States DoD 29 Aug 2016 -- At the invitation of U.S. Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter, Minister of Defence of India Manohar Parrikar made his second official visit to the United States Aug. 29-31.
- India Plans to Acquire Predator Drones from the United States to Combat Terror Sputnik 29 Aug 2016 -- India's Defense Minister visits Washington on Monday and at the top of his wish list is to push the Obama administration to provide New Delhi with lethal drone technology – a request defense analysts believe will be granted.
- Indian Defense Minister Signs Major Logistics Agreement With Pentagon VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- The U.S. and India have signed a key logistics agreement that will enable U.S. and Indian forces to use each other's bases for repair and replenishment of supplies.
- Iran's Launch of Shia Army Threatens to Escalate Sectarian Tensions VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- The Iranian government's launch of a "United Shia Liberation Army" is sending signals that Tehran wants to expand its political and military role in Middle East conflicts along sectarian lines, analysts say.
- Iran warns US drone near border ISNA 29 Aug 2016 -- An American drone flying near Iranian border changed its direction after receiving a warning from Iran.
- Iranian Army warns off US radar-evading spy drone Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- Iranian Army's Air Defense Base has reportedly warned off a US radar-evading unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) which had sought to intrude on Iranian airspace.
- Iran Deploys Russian Long-Range Missiles At Nuclear Site RFE/RL 29 Aug 2016 -- Iranian officials say they have deployed a new Russian-made long-range missile system to protect its Fordo nuclear facility.
- Strategic Cooperation in Action: S-300s Deployed to Defend Iran's Peaceful Atom Sputnik 29 Aug 2016 -- Iran has deployed its Russian-made S-300 surface-to-air missile system around an underground uranium enrichment facility in Fordow, 125 km southwest of Tehran, Iranian state television has reported.
- Iran deploys S-300 system in Fordo site ISNA 29 Aug 2016 -- Iran has deployed S-300 missile system in Fordo nuclear site, Qom Province, central Iran.
- Iran's Nazir long-range radar system put into operation Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander says the country has put its domestically-manufactured Nazir long-range radar system with the capability of detecting radar-evading targets into operation.
- Victorious on the Battlefield, Iraqi Army Losing Out to Corruption Sputnik 27 Aug 2016 -- The Iraqi army has dislodged Daesh militants from al-Qayyara city located south of Mosul and is now poised to capture the terrorists' de-facto capital in Iraq, Izvestia wrote citing an Iraqi Foreign Ministry spokesman in Baghdad. However, there is a big problem it is now facing in the "corridors of power" in Baghdad.
- Calls rise in S. Korea for nuclear-powered submarine after DPRK's SLBM test People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- Calls rose in South Korea for introducing a nuclear-powered submarine in response to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s advance in technology of submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBM).
- S.Korea's ruling party offers to deploy nuclear-power submarine People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- South Korea's ruling party asked the military authorities on Monday to review special countermeasures including the deployment of a nuclear-powered submarine to fundamentally contain submarine-launched ballistic missiles of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- Han Kuang military exercises end with completion of 1,072 tests CNA 29 Aug 2016 -- Taiwan's military ended its annual Han Kuang exercises last week after conducting and completing 1,072 tests, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Monday.
- Poor discipline blamed for Navy's July missile accident CNA 29 Aug 2016 -- The Ministry of National Defense cited problems with discipline, such as the failure to follow protocol and poor supervision, as causes of the Navy's accidental missile launch on July 1, in a report on the incident released Monday.
- Prosecutors find negligence in Navy's mistaken missile launch CNA 29 Aug 2016 -- The Navy's mistaken launch of a missile that killed a fisherman on July 1 was caused by officer negligence, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors Office said Monday.
- President Tsai encourages soldiers to go shopping in uniform CNA 29 Aug 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) is encouraging soldiers to wear their uniforms when they go out to have fun with friends and family on Armed Forces Day on Sept. 3 to help restore the military's self-esteem.
- On World Day, top UN officials call for prompt entry into force of nuclear test ban treaty UN News 29 Aug 2016 -- Marking the International Day against Nuclear Tests, senior United Nations officials today called for the entry into force of a multilateral treaty that bans all nuclear explosions, for both civilian and military purposes, in all environments.
- Briefing: Previewing Secretary Kerry's Travel to Bangladesh and India US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2016 -- Special Briefing by Senior State Department Official
- Press Availability in Dhaka, Bangladesh US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2016 -- Press Availability by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- August 29, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, Deputy NSA for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes, Senior Advisor Brian Deese and Deputy NSA for International Economics Wally Adeyemo, 8/29/2016 The White House 29 Aug 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for August 29, 2016
- New aircraft engine firm to lift sector People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- President Xi Jinping called on Sunday for acceleration of the research, development and manufacturing of aircraft engines and gas turbines to help China to build a strong aviation industry.
- Yemen: UN humanitarian coordinator 'deeply concerned' by failures to protect civilians UN News 29 Aug 2016 -- A senior United Nations humanitarian official said today he "is deeply concerned" by the devastating impact that the recent upsurge in fighting is having on civilians in Yemen and along the border the country shares with Saudi Arabia.
- Daesh car bombing kills dozens of pro-Saudi militants in Yemen's Aden Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- A bomb attack targeting forces loyal to Yemen's resigned president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, has killed dozens of recruits and injured scores of others.
- Saudi Arabian jets target civilian infrastructure in Yemen Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- Saudi Arabia's unremitting attacks against Yemen's civilian infrastructure continue, with the kingdom's fighter jets bombing a sugar factory in the western province of Hudaydah.
- Rebel Commanders in Colombia Order Permanent Cease-fire VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- FARC rebel commanders in Colombia ordered a final cease-fire beginning at the start of Monday as part of a permanent peace deal with the government ending one of the world's longest-running conflicts.
- FARC declares permanent ceasefire in Colombia Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) has announced a permanent ceasefire following a peace deal reached last week between the rebel group and the government.
- Carter Calls on Turkey to 'Stay Focused' on Islamic State VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter has called on Turkey to "stay focused'' on the fight against Islamic State and not to engage with U.S.-allied Kurdish forces also battling the terror group in Syria.
- Turkey 'Was Working on Ground Incursion in Syria For Two Years Sputnik 27 Aug 2016 -- Turkish leadership contemplated launching a military incursion in northern Syria two years ago, but it was repeatedly postponed due a deep freeze in relations with Russia in the wake of the Su-24 incident, opposition from high-ranking military officials and Washington's concerns, Hurriyet reported, citing an unnamed senior military source.
- 50 Turkish tanks in Syrian city of Jarablus: Head of Kurdish group Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- The head of a Kurdish group in Syria says about 50 Turkish tanks have been deployed to northern Syria, where the Turkish military earlier entered in an operation against Kurds and the Daesh terrorist group.
- Pentagon condemns Turkey's clashes with US-backed Kurdish forces Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- The Pentagon has called for an immediate de-escalation in clashes between Turkey and Syrian Kurdish forces, saying the fighting is "unacceptable" and a "source of deep concern."
- Turkey accuses Kurdish fighters of 'ethnic cleansing' in Syria Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has accused the Syrian Kurdish fighters of engaging in ethnic cleansing in northern Syria.
- Pentagon Condemns Clashes Between Turkey's Army, Syrian Kurds Near Manbij RFE/RL 29 Aug 2016 -- U.S. military officials said on August 29 that fighting in northern Syria between Turkey's army and U.S.-backed Syrian Kurds is "unacceptable."
- Friendly Fire: Intense Clashes on Turkey-Syria Border Endanger US Forces Sputnik 29 Aug 2016 -- Tensions rise following the first death of a Turkish soldier at the hands of US-backed YPG Kurdish forces with whom American Special Forces are often embedded.
- Syria Warned of Turkey's Military Campaign Through Russia - Turkish Deputy PM Sputnik 29 Aug 2016 -- Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said that the aims of the Turkish Euphrates Shield mission in northern Syria are clearing the region" from the Daesh and "preventing the Syrian Kurds' self-defense forces to build a corridor" between their self-controlled territories.
- US Condemns Clashes in Syria Between Turkish and US-Allied Kurdish Forces VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- The United States said Monday clashes in Syria between Turkish forces and units affiliated with a U.S.-supported Kurdish-led alliance are "unacceptable" and is calling on all sides to stand down "immediately."
- Rights Groups Say 13 Released From Secret Ukrainian Jail, Allege Torture RFE/RL 29 Aug 2016 -- Thirteen civilians who were allegedly held incommunicado, interrogated, and tortured after being rounded up "abduction-style" have been released from a secret jail run by Ukraine's domestic security service, two prominent human rights groups say.
- Upcoming peace conference an opportunity to transform Myanmar - UN rights expert UN News 29 Aug 2016 -- Speaking ahead of a major peace conference in Myanmar, a United Nations independent expert has urged its participants to prioritise human rights issues in their discussions over the coming days, and to do more to ensure the process is fully inclusive.
- Militants ambush Tunisian soldiers near Algerian border, kill 3 Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- A powerful landmine explosion has claimed lives of at least three soldiers in Western Tunisia on the same day Prime Minister Youssef Chahed's unity government took office in the North African country.
- UN rapporteur calls for urgent action to protect hundreds of thousands of displaced people in north-eastern Nigeria UN News 29 Aug 2016 -- Speaking at the end of a four-day visit to Nigeria, the United Nations expert on internally displaced persons (IPDs) has called on the country's authorities and the international community to act urgently to ensure that the hundreds of thousands of displaced people in its northeast are protected.
- Walls Hinder Somalis' Fight Against Al-Shabab VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- Leading security experts in Somalia are calling for a review of strategy and security policy against terror group al-Shabab after three major attacks in the past week.
- Reverse 'negative trajectory' and restore hope for two-state solution, says UN Middle East envoy UN News 29 Aug 2016 -- The United Nations senior official coordinating efforts towards the peaceful resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict today reiterated a call for both sides to work towards a negotiated two-state solution which envisages the co-existence of Palestine and Israel as amicable neighbours.
- Uzbek President Said To Have Suffered 'Brain Hemorrhage' RFE/RL 29 Aug 2016 -- Uzbek President Islam Karimov, whose recent hospitalization for an undisclosed illness has been shrouded in mystery, is being treated in an intensive care unit after suffering a "brain hemorrhage," according to a statement posted on his younger daughter's verified Instagram account.
- Who Could Replace Uzbekistan's Ailing President? RFE/RL 29 Aug 2016 -- Uzbekistan is on edge after learning that Uzbek President Islam Karimov, 78, has been hospitalized after suffering what an August 29 post on his younger daughter's Instagram account said was a cerebral hemorrhage - bleeding in the brain.
- US Suspects Russia Behind Computer Hacking in 2 State Election Databases VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- U.S. officials suspect Russian hackers were responsible for breaking into two state election databases earlier this month.
- Hiding Turkey Coup Plotters May Carry Out Political Assassinations Sputnik 29 Aug 2016 -- Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said that the government has no information if Fethullahist Gulen Terrorist Organisation (FETO) had a "Plan B" in case of coup failure.
- UN chief congratulates Gabon for peaceful presidential poll, urges acceptance of results UN News 29 Aug 2016 -- While congratulating the people and Government of Gabon for the holding of a peaceful and orderly presidential election on Saturday, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today also urged all Gabonese to accept the poll results.
- Russia to Build New Launch Pad for Angara Rockets by 2019 Sputnik 29 Aug 2016 -- A new launch complex for the Angara rocket family will have been built in Russia by 2019, local media reported Monday.
- Governor of Iraq's Anbar Province dismissed over 'corruption' Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- The governor of Iraq's western province of Anbar has been dismissed by provincial officials over alleged corruption as Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi is pushing not-so-successful attempts against the misappropriation of public funds and incompetence.
- Brazil's Rousseff pleads innocent, calls Senate trial coup Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- Suspended Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff has denied all corruption charges against her, calling her impeachment trial a coup.
- Rousseff Addresses Brazilian Senate in Impeachment Trial VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- Suspended Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has denied allegations of manipulating government accounts, during testimony at her impeachment trial.
- 9th Congress of Kim Il Sung Socialist Youth League Held in Presence of Kim Jong Un People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- The 9th Congress of the Kim Il Sung Socialist Youth League was held with splendor in Pyongyang on Saturday and Sunday.
- U.S. Should Face up to Reality: KCNA Commentary People's Daily 29 Aug 2016 -- The U.S. war racket against the DPRK has reached an extremely risky phase.
- Rights Group Builds Legal Case Against Pyongyang Abusers VOA 29 Aug 2016 -- A human rights group is beginning to build the case for the eventual prosecution of Kim Jong Un and other North Korean leaders for crimes against humanity by detailing information about thousands of individuals who have been sent to political prison camps.
- Salehi: Iran to attend, monitor outcome of upcoming IAEA general conference IRNA 29 Aug 2016 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization Ali Akbar Salehi said on Monday that Iran will attend and monitor outcome of the upcoming IAEA annual conference in the wake of implementing the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- UN chief calls on Myanmar to respect human rights, ahead of his visit to Southeast Asian country Press TV 29 Aug 2016 -- United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has called on Myanmar's new leadership to pay "full respect" to human rights in the Southeast Asian country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|