09 June 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 09 Jun 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 09 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 09 Jun 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- 'US carrier deployment sends a message to Russia' Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- The United States is sending Russia a message by deploying a new aircraft carrier strike group to the eastern Mediterranean, says a report.
- Drone Strike Strains US-Pakistani Talks on Afghanistan VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- The U.S. drone attack that killed the Afghan Taliban's leader last month in Pakistan damaged "mutual trust" between Islamabad and Washington, intensified hostilities in Afghanistan and seriously set back peace efforts for that war-ravaged country, a Pakistani authority said on the eve of new talks.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Airmen Powered by Innovation projected to save over $120M AFNS 09 Jun 2016 -- The Air Force secretary, while championing change across the service, has made the Make Every Dollar Count campaign one of her top three priorities. At the heart of the campaign is the Airmen Powered by Innovation program.
- Defense Bill Concerns DoD, White House, Pentagon Press Secretary Says AFPS 09 Jun 2016 -- As the Senate debates its version of the National Defense Authorization Act this week, the Defense Department and the White House have concerns about the way the legislation now stands, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook told reporters today.
- Carter Unveils Next Wave of Force of the Future Initiatives AFPS 09 Jun 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter today announced the next steps in his Force of the Future initiative to modernize the rules and regulations that govern how the Defense Department recruits, develops and retains service members and civilian employees.
- Support personnel, F-16s enhance partnership with Poland AFNS 09 Jun 2016 -- About 350 personnel are supporting 20 F-16 Fighting Falcons from the 31st Fighter Wing at Aviano Air Base, Italy, and the 138th Fighter Wing at Tulsa Air National Guard Base, Oklahoma, as part of bilateral flying training with the Polish Air Force.
- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter Announces Additional Force of the Future Initiatives DoD 09 Jun 2016 -- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter today announced the third and fourth links of his Force of the Future initiatives focused on military and civilian personnel policies, outlining the most significant proposed changes to the military officer promotion system in decades and new flexibilities in civilian personnel policy, including a proposal for paid maternity and paternity leave for the civilian workforce.
- 2nd MarDiv finishes ITX 3-16 USMC News 09 Jun 2016 -- 2nd Marine Division concluded Integrated Training Exercise 3-16 with a three-day final exercise at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, Calif., June 1-3, 2016.
- Region EURAFSWA Concludes Executive Steering Committee NNS 09 Jun 2016 -- Commander, Navy Region Europe, Africa, Southwest Asia (EURAFSWA) concluded their Executive Steering Committee (ESC) Friday, June 2 in the Bella Napoli Conference Room at Naval Support Activity (NSA) Naples, Italy.
- Navy's Newest Oceanographic Vessel Sets Sail NNS 09 Jun 2016 -- The Navy's newest oceanographic survey vessel, USNS Maury (T-AGS 66), recently completed its maiden voyage from Pascagoula, Mississippi, where it was constructed at VT Halter Marine, to Port Everglades near Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- US, Indian, Japanese Maritime Forces to Participate in Malabar 2016 NNS 09 Jun 2016 -- Naval ships, aircraft and personnel from India, Japan and the United States are scheduled to participate in the annual exercise Malabar 2016, June 9-17.
- US, Philippines kick off military drills near S China Sea Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- The United States and the Philippines have kicked off this year's annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) joint military exercises.
- US set to launch large spy satellite from Cape Canaveral Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- The United States is set to launch a giant "eavesdropping satellite" using the most powerful launch vehicle available.
- NATO Secretary General discusses Warsaw Summit with Dutch Prime Minister NATO 09 Jun 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte in The Hague on Thursday (9 June 2016) to discuss the Alliance's agenda for the Warsaw Summit in July. Mr. Stoltenberg praised the Netherlands for being a "committed NATO Ally," making valuable contributions to NATO's collective defence in Europe and helping to project stability beyond the Alliance's borders.
- Russia's Admiral Grigorovich Frigate Arrives at New Home in Sevastopol Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- Black Sea Fleet's spokesman said that Russia's Admiral Grigorovich frigate has arrived at its permanent base in Sevastopol.
- Russian Arctic Dev't Commission Favors Arctic Technology Test Range Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- Russia's State Commission for Arctic Development is set to test all technologies to be used in the Arctic zone, Russian Deputy Prime Minister and the commission's head Dmitry Rogozin said Thursday.
- Russia Needs to 'Reclaim' Arctic, Far East for Industrial Use Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- Dmitry Rogozin said that Russia needs to redouble its efforts to "recolonize" hard-to-reach territories in the Arctic and in the Far East.
- Russian Defense Ministry Confirms Su-27 Crashed Near Moscow, Pilot Killed Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has confirmed that a Su-27 fighter jet crashed in the Moscow region.
- Danish Government Approves $3Bln Purchase of F-35 Fighters From US Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- Defense contractor Lockheed Martin said in a press release that government of Denmark has backed an order of 27 F-35 fighter jets from the United States, which amounts to $3 billion.
- Swiss Display Team's Northrop F-5E Jets Collide in Netherlands Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- Swiss Defense Department said that two Northrop F-5E fighter jets of the Swiss Air Force's display team collided in midair in the Netherlands.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/9/2016 The White House 09 Jun 2016
- June 9, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Jun 2016
- Wars Cost World $13 Trillion Last Year VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- Wars and other conflicts cost the global economy more than $13.6 trillion, some 13 percent of global GDP, in 2015, according to an annual study on the cost of violence.
- Noose Tightens on Fugitive War Criminals VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- They're silenced, but still screaming, calling for the world to bring their killers to justice.
- Japan calls in Chinese envoy after ship enters disputed waters Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- Japan has summoned China's ambassador to protest an alleged violation of what Tokyo regards as its territorial waters after a Chinese navy ship sailed close to disputed islands in East China Sea for the first time.
- Japan Summons Chinese Ambassador Over Sea Spat VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- China on Thursday rebutted a warning from Tokyo, just hours after Japan expressed a strong vow to protect its territory following a Chinese naval vessel sailing close to islands, known as Senkaku in Japanese, claimed by both countries.
- Japan Military Ready to Reciprocate to Territorial Waters Intrusion Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- The Japan Self-Defense Forces are ready to "react correspondingly" amid possible intrusion into the country's territorial waters, the chief of the JSDF's Joint Staff said Thursday.
- Israel to send hundreds more forces to West Bank Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- Israel is set to deploy hundreds more troops to the occupied West Bank after a shooting attack at a shopping center in Tel Aviv that the regime blamed on Palestinians.
- Israel Restricts Palestinian Movement After Tel Aviv Attack VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- Israel has revoked 83,000 permits for Palestinians in the West Bank, barring them from entering the country during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. It has also frozen work permits for more than 200 relatives of the two Palestinian gunmen who attacked a trendy mall late Wednesday in Tel Aviv.
- 'This is not yet the moment' for tangible peace talks - UN envoy for Syria UN News 09 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations envoy mediating a resolution to the crisis in Syria said today that the time is not yet right for a resumption of the intra-Syrian talks, but that the intention is to begin an official third round "as soon as possible," as efforts continue towards the decisive outcome of a political transition.
- Damascus Approves Aid Delivery to Besieged Areas, In Principle VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations says the Syrian government has given approval for the delivery of humanitarian assistance to 15 of 17 besieged areas in the country. But, it cautions approval does not mean delivery.
- Iran supporting guaranteed ceasefire in Syria: Defense minister IRNA 09 Jun 2016 -- Iran supports a guaranteed ceasefire in Syria in case it does not let the terrorists renew their power, says Iran's defense minister.
- Syria truce must not strengthen terror groups: Iran defense chief Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- The Iranian defense minister has called for a "comprehensive" ceasefire deal aimed at containing the violence in Syria, stressing, however, that any such agreement should not pave the way for terror groups to grow stronger.
- Syria approves aid delivery to 19 besieged areas: UN Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- The UN says the Syrian government has given approval for humanitarian convoys to reach all besieged areas in the country by the end of this month.
- Damascus forces advance closer to Raqqah: Syria envoy Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- The Syrian ambassador to Russia says Damascus forces have advanced close to Raqqah, the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group's stronghold in Syria, being now only 20 kilometers (12 miles) away from the city.
- Race to Raqqa: Coordination Between Syrian Army and Rebels 'Quite Real' Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- Daesh has found itself in dire straits in the al-Raqqa region: the terrorist organization is being simultaneously attacked by the Syrian Arab Army assisted by Russia and the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces.
- France Deploys Special Forces in Syria as IS Loses Ground VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- French special forces in northern Syria are assisting Kurdish-led militias in a drive to retake a pocket of territory west of the Euphrates River from the Islamic State terror group, according to French officials.
- French special forces operating in N Syria: Source Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- France has dispatched special forces to the northern city of Manbij near the Turkish border in an alleged bid to advise Syria Kurdish forces fighting Daesh terrorists, a French defense ministry source says.
- At least 22 killed, 70 injured in Baghdad car bombings Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- A car bomb attack near a military base north of Baghdad and another explosion near a market in the Iraqi capital have killed nearly two dozen people, police said.
- Iraq: funding is running out to help people fleeing Fallujah, UN relief official warns UN News 09 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Iraq said today she is deeply concerned by the unfolding humanitarian crisis in the besieged city of Fallujah, warning that funding is insufficient to continue to carry out the massive relief operation that is currently under way.
- Suicide Attacks in Baghdad Kill at Least 20 VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- Several suicide attacks killed more than 20 people Thursday in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, despite the traditional truce for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
- Naval forces loyal to Libyan unity govt. recapture Sirte coast Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- Naval forces loyal to the Libyan unity government have recaptured coastal areas of the port city of Sirte from militants.
- Prominent Islamic State Leader Killed in Libyan Sirte Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- "Emir of the Daesh" was killed in the Libyan coastal city of Sirte in a clash between the Libyan militia and the Daesh terrorists, local media reported Thursday.
- 43 soldiers killed in al-Shabab attack on Ethiopia base in Somalia Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- The al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militants in Somalia have killed at least 43 soldiers in an attack on a base used by Ethiopian troops north of the capital, Mogadishu.
- AU: Over 100 Shabab Militants Killed in Base Attack VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- The African Union force in Somalia says soldiers killed more than 100 al-Shabab militants who attacked a military base Thursday.
- Justice for crimes committed in Darfur must not be sacrificed – ICC Prosecutor UN News 09 Jun 2016 -- More than a decade has passed since the situation in Darfur, Sudan, was referred to her Office, yet the victims' quest for justice is still far from being realized and they continue to be subjected to grave crimes and suffering, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) told the United Nations Security Council today.
- Security Council condemns deadly terrorist attack in Tel Aviv UN News 09 Jun 2016 -- The members of the Security Council today condemned in the strongest terms yesterday's terrorist attack in Tel Aviv, Israel, during which at least four civilians were killed and many more injured.
- Khmer Rouge Prison Chief: I Was Ordered to Exterminate Everybody VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- The head of an infamous Khmer Rouge security center and execution site says he was ordered to destroy the prison and kill all remaining internees on the eve of the Vietnamese military's arrival in Phnom Penh in January 1979.
- Virginia Man Charged with Providing Material Support to ISIL US Dept. of Justice 09 Jun 2016 -- In a criminal complaint unsealed in the Eastern District of Virginia today, Mohamad Jamal Khweis, 26, of Alexandria, Virginia, was charged with providing and conspiring to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a designated foreign terrorist organization.
- American IS Suspect Back in US to Face Terror Charges VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- The U.S. is filing terrorism charges against a 26-year-old American citizen who first made headlines when he was detained by Kurdish peshmerga forces in northern Iraq after claiming he was trying to escape from the Islamic State terror group.
- Liberia Declared Ebola-free for 4th Time VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- Liberia is officially free of the Ebola virus, the World Health Organization announced Thursday, after the West African country successfully passed 42 days without a confirmed case of this often-fatal disease.
- Western Daesh members seek Turkey aid to defect: US paper Press TV 09 Jun 2016 -- Growing numbers of disenchanted Western members of Daesh, fighting in Iraq and Syria, are trying to sever links with the Takfiri terrorist outfit, according to a report.
- Russian Proton-M With US Intelsat Satellite Launched From Baikonur Sputnik 09 Jun 2016 -- The Russian Proton-M rocket carrying a US Intelsat DLA-2 satellite was successfully launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome on Thursday, a Roscosmos spokesman said.
- Saudi-UN Dispute Grows VOA 09 Jun 2016 -- A diplomatic feud between Saudi Arabia and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is escalating. The U.N. chief says the kingdom pressured him into removing the Saudi coalition in Yemen from a blacklist of entitites that harm children during conflicts.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|