10 May 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 10 May 2016 [PDF]
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 May 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US, Somali Forces Raid Al-Shabab Base VOA 10 May 2016 -- U.S. and Somali special forces conducted a joint raid early Tuesday on an al-Shabab base, killing or capturing an unknown number of the extremist group's militants.
- Centcom Spokesman: Successes Against Terrorists Result From Partnerships AFPS 10 May 2016 -- Today's hostage rescue by U.S. and Afghan special operations forces and recent airstrikes that have killed terrorist operatives highlight the cooperation and partnership U.S. Central Command has with its regional partners for security and stability, a Centcom spokesman said today.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on Hostage Rescue in Afghanistan DoD 10 May 2016
- U.S. Special Ops Forces, Afghan Commandos Rescue Hostage AFPS 10 May 2016 -- U.S. special operations forces and Afghan commandos today rescued Ali Haider Gilani, son of former Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, during a partnered raid in the Giyan district of Afghanistan's Paktika province, U.S. Forces Afghanistan officials said.
- 15 Afghan police fall in Taliban attack close to Lashkar Gah Press TV 10 May 2016 -- Fifteen Afghan police were killed in an attack by the Taliban militants on two checkpoints close to Afghanistan's southern city of Lashkar Gah in Helmand Province Tuesday.
- Chaos, Confusion Portrayed In Pentagon Report On Kunduz Battle RFE/RL 10 May 2016 -- U.S. troops involved in the intense fighting in Kunduz, Afghanistan, that led to the mistaken bombardment of a hospital last fall have testified of chaos and confusion at the scene.
- UN regrets execution of six people in Afghanistan UN News 10 May 2016 -- The United Nations human rights arm has expressed regret over the execution of six people in Afghanistan on Sunday, amid serious concerns about compliance with fair trial standards, and reports about the widespread use of torture and ill-treatment as a means of extracting confessions.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Assuring maintenance quality for the RPA mission AFNS 10 May 2016 -- Quality assurance Airmen in the maintenance world are known by many titles -- the "best of the best," the "eyes and ears," and even "sharks in the water" for their no nonsense attitudes toward maintenance.
- U.S. Marine Security Cooperation Team helps provide counter-drug training to Honduran sailors USMC News 10 May 2016 -- Along the northern coast of Honduras, a unique partnership exists between the Honduran Navy trainers of the Centro de Adiestramiento Naval (Naval Training Center) and U.S. Marine Corps Security Cooperation Team trainers as they work to provide basic skills to new members of the Honduran Navy.
- MSC Ships Replenish at Sea NNS 10 May 2016 -- Military Sealift Command's fleet replenishment oiler USNS John Ericsson (T-AO 194) delivered fuel and cargo to a second MSC ship, fast combat ship USNS Rainier (T-AOE 7), during a replenishment at sea (RAS) operation, May 8.
- JCS Reaches 5,000th Arrested Landing Milestone NNS 10 May 2016 -- Sailors from USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9 marked a milestone, May 5, with the deployment's 5,000th arrested landing, or trap.
- NRL Invokes Cost Effective Approach to Improve Joint ISR Missions NNS 10 May 2016 -- Researchers at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory have teamed with General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. to integrate maritime mode inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging capability with GA-ASI's Lynx Multi-Mode Radar for improved intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions.
- NDW Hones Emergency Preparedness During HURREX Citadel Gale 16 NNS 10 May 2016 -- Naval District Washington is participating in the U.S. Fleet Forces Command and Commander, Navy Installation Command annual hurricane preparedness exercise, HURREX/Citadel Gale 2016, which will run May 9-20.
- USS Blue Ridge Departs Shanghai NNS 10 May 2016 -- The U.S. 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) departed Shanghai after a regularly scheduled port visit May 10 during its 2016 patrol season.
- HURREX, Navy's Annual Emergency Preparedness Hurricane Exercise, Underway NNS 10 May 2016 -- With the onset of the Atlantic hurricane season approaching, the Navy is currently conducting HURREX/Citadel Gale 2016, its annual hurricane exercise designed to prepare the Navy to respond to weather threats in coastal regions and maintain the ability to deploy forces, even under the most adverse weather conditions.
- Military School Denies Muslim Student's Request to Wear Headscarf VOA 10 May 2016 -- A U.S. military college has denied a request by a newly admitted Muslim student to wear a religious head covering along with her uniform.
- Trump's Rise Could Legitimize Nuclear Hawks in Asia VOA 10 May 2016 -- In Japan and South Korea, America's closest military allies in Asia, conservative proponents of nuclear weapons could move from the political fringes to the mainstream if Donald Trump becomes the next president of the United States.
- Obama weighing removal of Vietnam arms embargo Press TV 10 May 2016 -- US President Barack Obama is considering the removal of the decades-old American arms embargo against Vietnam, officials say, in a move that is likely to anger China.
- Iran to drown US warships if threatened: IRGC IRNA 10 May 2016 -- A commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has warned that his forces would drown American warships should they pose the slightest territorial threat to the country.
- Iran to drown US warships if threatened: IRGC Press TV 10 May 2016 -- A commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has warned that his forces would drown American warships should they pose the slightest territorial threat to the country.
- S-300 missiles handed to country's air defense system IRNA 10 May 2016 -- Minister of Defense Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan announced that S-300 missiles have been handed to the country's air defense system.
- Iran air defense takes delivery of S-300: Minister Press TV 10 May 2016 -- Iran's defense minister says the country's air defense has now been equipped with the Russian S-300 missile defense system.
- Iran unveils Naseh drone IRNA 10 May 2016 -- The latest indigenous drone, named 'Naseh', unveiled in a ceremony attended by Defense Minister Hossein Dehqan here on Tuesday.
- Iran able to produce indigenous defense, artillery, missile systems ISNA 10 May 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan said that the country is capable of producing defense, artillery and missile systems without any foreign assistance, reiterating that the country would take steps in this field in future.
- Iran refuses reports on missile launch with range announced by media ISNA 10 May 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan said the country did have a missile test with the range announced by media.
- DM denies ballistic missile test-fired IRNA 10 May 2016 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan rejected reports by some media that Iran has test-fired long-range ballistic missile.
- S.Korean military probes alleged hacking by DPRK into navy warship builder People's Daily 10 May 2016 -- South Korea's military counter-espionage service has investigated an alleged hacking attack by Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Hanjin Heavy Industries &Construction Co., a key builder of naval warships, Yonhap reported on Tuesday.
- Turkey Opens First Mideast Military Base in Qatar VOA 10 May 2016 -- Late last month, Turkey's first foreign military base in the Middle East opened in Qatar to counter what officials called "the same threats."
- Daily Press Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 05/10/16 The White House 10 May 2016
- Roundtable Discussion US Dept. of State 10 May 2016 -- Interview by John Kerry, Secretary of State
- May 10, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 10 May 2016
- 10 May 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 May 2016
- China warns U.S. against shows of strength in South China Sea People's Daily 10 May 2016 -- China on Tuesday expressed "resolute opposition" to a U.S. warship patrol in the South China Sea near Yongshu Jiao in the Nansha Islands.
- US Warship Makes 'Freedom of Navigation' Tour in S. China Sea VOA 10 May 2016 -- The U.S. Defense Department sent a navy warship to carry out a freedom of navigation operation in the disputed South China Sea Tuesday.
- China scrambles jets to force US ship off disputed reef Press TV 10 May 2016 -- China has flown warplanes near a disputed reef in the South China Sea to warn a US warship off the area, saying Beijing needs to strengthen its defense in the sea against Washington's provocations.
- Beijing slams US warship patrol in disputed South China Sea Press TV 10 May 2016 -- China has denounced the United States for sending yet another warship close to an island in the disputed South China Sea, saying the move threatened "peace and stability."
- Yemen's Ansarullah rejects reports of prisoner swap deal Press TV 10 May 2016 -- A senior official from Yemen's Ansarullah movement has rejected reports of a major prisoner swap deal between warring parties during ongoing UN-brokered talks in Kuwait.
- Yemen launches retaliatory missile attack on Saudi Arabia Press TV 10 May 2016 -- The Yemeni army and their allies have fired a ballistic missile at a Saudi military base in a "simple response" to Saudi airstrikes that continue despite a ceasefire.
- Takfiris hold bodies of 12 IRGC advisers killed in Syria Press TV 10 May 2016 -- Takfiri militants are withholding the bodies of 12 military advisers of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) killed in Syria in recent days, an Iranian military official says.
- 'Alarming' reports of major violations in south-east Turkey - UN rights chief UN News 10 May 2016 -- The United Nations human rights chief today reported having received a succession of alarming reports about violations allegedly committed by Turkish military and security forces in south-east Turkey over the past few months, and urged the Turkish authorities to give independent investigators, including UN staff, unimpeded access to the area to verify the veracity of such reports.
- Car Bomb Targets Suspected PKK Militants in Turkey VOA 10 May 2016 -- Turkish officials say a car bomb killed three people and wounded 45 others in the mainly-Kurdish city of Diyarbakir.
- Senior UN aid official condemns killings of displaced civilians by armed local tribes in North Darfur UN News 10 May 2016 -- The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan has condemned the reported shooting deaths of six civilians, including two children, by armed local tribes in Sortony – next to a site for recently displaced people from the mountainous Jebel Marra area in North Darfur.
- North Koreans hold mass rally after ruling party congress Press TV 10 May 2016 -- Hundreds of thousands of North Koreans have held a massive rally and parade in the capital Pyongyang to mark the end of the ruling party's first congress in over three decades.
- Pyongyang Mass Rally and Public Procession Take Place KCNA 10 May 2016 -- A Pyongyang mass rally and public procession took place at Kim Il Sung Square with splendor on Tuesday in celebration of the Seventh Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- Former North Korea General Believed Executed, Resurfaces VOA 10 May 2016 -- A former North Korean military chief, who South Korea said was executed, has resurfaced, alive.
- Seventh Congress of WPK Closes KCNA 10 May 2016 -- The Seventh Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) closed on Monday.
- Great Auspicious Event Adding Glory to DPRK KCNA 10 May 2016 -- All people in the DPRK are rejoicing over the news that the respected Comrade Kim Jong Un was elected chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) at its 7th Congress.
- WPK Led by Kim Jong Un Displays Its Dignity to Full KCNA 10 May 2016 -- The Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), founded and guided by President Kim Il Sung and leader Kim Jong Il, is now fully displaying its dignity with the dear respected Kim Jong Un elected to the top post of the Party at its Seventh Congress.
- Press Review KCNA 10 May 2016 -- The DPRK's leading newspapers Tuesday carry special write-ups dealing with the Seventh Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- Official Report of First Plenary Meeting of 7th WPK Central Committee Issued KCNA 10 May 2016 -- An official report of the First Plenary Meeting of the Seventh Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) was released on Monday.
- 7th WPK Congress Calls for General Offensive toward Complete Victory of Socialism KCNA 10 May 2016 -- The Seventh Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea on Monday made an appeal to all the servicepersons, youths and other people of the country.
- Iran taking precautionary measure on selling heavy water to US IRNA 10 May 2016 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said here on Tuesday that the negotiations are underway for heavy water sale to US.
- Iran cautious in selling heavy water to US ISNA 10 May 2016 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali-Akbar Salehi said that Iran is cautious in selling heavy water to the United States, after the recent US court ruling on seizing two billion dollars of Iranians assets.
- Turkey's AKP push for executive presidency invalid: Opposition leader Press TV 10 May 2016 -- A Turkish opposition leader has criticized as null and void efforts by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) to introduce an executive presidency.
- DRC's Katumbi: No Plans to Overthrow Kabila Government VOA 10 May 2016 -- Democratic Republic of Congo opposition leader Moise Katumbi has told Congolese prosecutors he has no plans to overthrow the government of President Joseph Kabila by use of force.
- Duterte's Opponents Concede Philippine Presidential Race VOA 10 May 2016 -- Rodrigo Duterte, whose foul-mouthed, populist campaign earned him both praise and ridicule, is the apparent winner of the Philippines presidential election.
- Duterte wins Philippine presidential election: preliminary results People's Daily 10 May 2016 -- Davao city mayor Rodrigo Duterte has won the 2016 Philippine presidential election, according to an unofficial and partial tally of votes cast as of 2:00 a.m. Tuesday.
- Former NATO, US Officials See Negative Consequences from Brexit VOA 10 May 2016 -- A British exit from the European Union would damage Western security and weaken Europe, former NATO secretary-generals, and former U.S. secretaries of state and defense warned Tuesday.
- Brazil's lower house speaker annuls Rousseff impeachment vote, Senate to move forward People's Daily 10 May 2016 -- The acting speaker of the lower house of Brazil's Congress on Monday announced a decision to nullify the chamber's vote for an impeachment process against President Dilma Rousseff.
- Bangladesh executes opposition leader over war crime charges Press TV 10 May 2016 -- Bangladesh has executed the leader of the South Asian country's Jamaat-e-Islami Party for crimes committed during the country's war of independence with Pakistan in 1971.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|