25 April 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 25 Apr 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 25 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Iraq, Syria AFPS 25 Apr 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Up to 250 More U.S. Forces to Deploy to Syria, Pentagon Spokesman Says AFPS 25 Apr 2016 -- Up to 250 additional U.S. personnel are being deployed to Syria to support local forces on the ground and build on successes of U.S. forces already deployed there in the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the Pentagon's press secretary said today.
- What Will New US Forces Do in Syria? VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- The additional 250 U.S. special operations troops heading to Syria in the coming days will be a "force multiplier," meeting with local fighters and providing expertise to Syrians willing to take on Islamic State, according to the Pentagon.
- Obama to Deploy More Special Forces Troops to Syria VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- President Barack Obama is ordering a significant increase in the number of U.S. Special Operations Forces in Syria and is urging European nations to ramp up their contributions to the coalition fighting Islamic State.
- Afghan Taliban Negotiators Arrive in Pakistan for Initial Talks VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- A group of Taliban negotiators has arrived in Pakistan from the Islamist insurgency's political office in Qatar for "exploratory" meetings with authorities in Islamabad, diplomatic sources confirmed Monday to VOA.
- Russia denies supporting Taliban in Afghanistan Press TV 25 Apr 2016 -- Russia's ambassador to Afghanistan dismisses speculation that Moscow has been backing Taliban in order to curb the Daesh Takfiri terrorists operating in some areas of Afghanistan.
- Afghan Leader Demands Removal of Taliban from Pakistan VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has demanded neighboring Pakistan evict fugitive Taliban leaders from its soil and hand them over to Kabul for trial.
- Humanitarian aid delivered to Haiti through Denton Program AFNS 25 Apr 2016 -- Members from the 701st Airlift Squadron delivered humanitarian aid to Port-au-Prince on April 21 as part of ongoing Denton Program efforts.
- 31st MEU ends support to earthquake relief efforts USMC News 25 Apr 2016 -- Marines and MV-22 Ospreys with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit ended operations today in support of Joint Task Force Chinzei, led by the Japanese Self-Defense Force. United States Forces, Japan, announced today the end of direct U.S. airlift support to Government of Japan earthquake relief efforts in the Kumamoto, Japan, area.
- JSDF, U.S. Marines continue earthquake relief efforts USMC News 25 Apr 2016 -- Two MV-22B Ospreys from Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 265 (Reinforced), 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit completed the fifth day of disaster relief flight operations in support of Joint Task Force Chinzei, led by the Japan Self Defense Force, after the island of Kyushu was hit by a series of earthquakes.
- Bonhomme Richard Sailors Assist JS Hyuga Crew in Earthquake Relief Efforts NNS 25 Apr 2016 -- Eight air department Sailors assigned to amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) played a critical role as part of Task Force Chenzai, the Japanese earthquake relief effort near Kumamoto, Japan, from April 18-23.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD Releases 2015 Fiscal Year Freedom of Navigation Report DoD 25 Apr 2016 -- Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) released its 2015 fiscal year Freedom of Navigation (FON) Report, which provides a summary of excessive maritime claims that were challenged by U.S. forces during the period of Oct. 1, 2014, through Sept. 30, 2015. The report summarizes challenges to excessive maritime claims asserted by 13 claimants throughout the world.
- Kearsarge ARG/26th MEU Departs US 6th Fleet NNS 25 Apr 2016 -- The Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group (KSGARG) flagship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3), and embarked 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), departed the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations, April 25.
- USS Donald Cook Arrives in Kiel NNS 25 Apr 2016 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) arrived in Kiel for a scheduled port visit, April 23.
- F-22 Raptors arrive in Romania AFNS 25 Apr 2016 -- Two F-22 Raptors and one KC-135 Stratotanker arrived at Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base on April 22.
- USS Whidbey Island Completes Amphibious Exercise NNS 25 Apr 2016 -- Dock landing ship USS Whidbey Island arrived in Little Creek after completing its Amphibious Ready Group/Marine Expeditionary Unit exercise, April 24.
- Navy Reservists Keep Merchant Ships Safe During IMCMEX NNS 25 Apr 2016 -- When there's something wrong in the neighborhood, merchant ships know who to call: U.S. Naval Cooperation and Guidance for Shipping. Its primary job is to communicate with commercial shipping to ensure safe passage for Naval and merchant vessels on the seas.
- Wasp ARG Completes Amphibious Training Exercise NNS 25 Apr 2016 -- The Wasp Amphibious Readiness Group completed its Amphibious Ready Group Marine Expeditionary Unit Exercise (ARGMEUEX), April 24.
- Harry S Truman CSG Completes Major OIR Milestone NNS 25 Apr 2016 -- Strike aircraft from the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group have dropped 1,134 pieces of ordnance in support of Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR), more than any aircraft carrier involved in the operation to defeat ISIL.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General commends Romania's strong commitment to the Alliance NATO 25 Apr 2016 -- NATO Deputy Secretary General Alexander Vershbow praised Romania's long-standing contributions to Allied security, during the first day of his visit to Bucharest on Monday (25 April 2016).
- Turkey's 'Homemade' Missile Defense System Will be Integrated Into NATO Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- Turkey is going to eleborate its own missile defense system, which may be integrated in the NATO-operated one, the head of Turkey's Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM) said Monday.
- Obama Calls For EU Unity, More Collective Defense Spending RFE/RL 25 Apr 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has called on Europe to uphold its political unity and strengthen its contribution to the continent's collective defense.
- Russia to Conduct Observation Flight Over France Under Open Skies Treaty Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- Sergei Ryzhkov, who is head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Nuclear Risk Reduction Center, said that in the course of the observation mission, French specialists on board the aircraft will monitor compliance with the agreed parameters for the flight and the use of observation equipment.
- Pentagon Press Secretary: North Korean Test Violates U.N. Resolutions AFPS 25 Apr 2016 -- North Korea continues to engage in provocative actions, and it poses a "significant threat" to the United States and its allies, the Pentagon's press secretary said today.
- Obama dismisses Pyongyang's bid to halt nuclear tests Press TV 25 Apr 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has rejected an offer by North Korea to ditch its nuclear tests in exchange for Washington's suspension of joint annual war games with South Korea.
- People's Delegations Visit KPA Units KCNA 25 Apr 2016 -- People's delegations visited units of the Korean People's Army (KPA) on the occasion of the day of army building.
- KPA, Creator of People's Wealth KCNA 25 Apr 2016 -- The Korean People's Army has played a big role in creating people's wealth, holding aloft the slogan "Let the People's Army take charge of both national defence and socialist construction!"
- Kim Il Sung's Feats for Bolstering DPRK's Defence Capability KCNA 25 Apr 2016 -- Today marks the 84th anniversary of the Korean People's Army.
- Newspapers Praise Feats Performed by Peerlessly Great Persons of Mt. Paektu in Building Army KCNA 25 Apr 2016 -- Leading newspapers here Monday dedicate editorials to the 84th founding anniversary of the Korean People's Army.
- UN Security Council slams DPRK submarine missile test People's Daily 25 Apr 2016 -- The UN Security Council on Sunday "strongly" condemned Saturday's submarine-launched ballistic missile test by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- South Korean Military on High Alert Over Possible Nuke Test by N Korea Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- The South Korean armed forces are on high alert due to a possibility that North can conduct a nuclear test on Monday to celebrate the anniversary of the founding of the Korean People's Army (KPA), local media reported.
- Russian S-300 Air Defense Systems Deliveries to Iran Continue Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hussein Jaber Ansari said that the agreement on S-300 delivery from Russia to Iran is being implemented.
- US afraid of Iran's deterrence power: Commander IRNA 25 Apr 2016 -- America is afraid of Iran's deterrence power, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy Commander Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi said on Sunday.
- Taiwan holds computer-aided war games CNA 25 Apr 2016 -- The military began a series of computer-aided war games Monday that will continue non-stop for five days and four nights, as part of this year's Han Kuang series of military exercises, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Australia – AIM-120D Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles DSCA 25 Apr 2016 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Australia for AIM-120D Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missiles and associated equipment, training, and support. The estimated cost is $1.22 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on April 21, 2016.
- UK Gov't Seeks to Quell Fears Over Warship Contract in Scotland Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- UK Secretary of State for Scotland David Mundell stated that the UK Government is absolutely committed to shipbuilding on the Clyde, and to the Type 26 programme, which is a very significant investment.
- Polish President Stresses Government Commitment to Strong Army Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- Polish President Andrzej Duda said that strong and efficient army is an absolute priority for Polish authorities.
- Planning to Stay: Germany to Construct Permanent Air Base in Turkey Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- Germany is discussing the construction of its own permanent air base in Turkey with Ankara; it plans to use the base to combat Daesh terrorists, according to the Der Spiegel magazine.
- Remarks by President Obama and Chancellor Merkel The White House 25 Apr 2016
- Remarks by President Obama in Address to the People of Europe The White House 25 Apr 2016
- Press Briefing by the Press Secretary, Ben Rhodes, Tom Donohue and Andrew Liveris The White House 25 Apr 2016
- April 25, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Apr 2016
- 25 April 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Apr 2016
- Taiwan disputes Japan's right to detain fishing boat near Okinotori CNA 25 Apr 2016 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said Monday Japan's detention of a Taiwanese fishing boat in a disputed area of the Pacific was unacceptable, while the family of detained captain Pan Chien-peng (潘建鵬) has prepared NT$1.7 million (US$52,527) as a "security deposit" to seek his early release.
- DIY Isle: Beijing to Start Creating Island on Disputed Reef in S China Sea Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- China to start reclaiming land around the disputed reef in South China Sea, local media reported.
- Backgrounder: China's sovereignty over Nansha Islands long recognized by int'l community People's Daily 25 Apr 2016 -- China has indisputable sovereignty over the Nansha Islands and the adjacent waters surrounding them.
- Outside intervention tears up ASEAN solidarity People's Daily 25 Apr 2016 -- China has reached consensus with Brunei, Cambodia and Laos that the South China Sea territorial dispute should not affect relations between China and ASEAN.
- Saudi-led forces enter town after Qaeda exit Press TV 25 Apr 2016 -- Forces loyal to Saudi-backed ex-president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and Emirati troops have reportedly overrun Mukalla after al-Qaeda militants left the seaport in southeast Yemen.
- Yemen: Security Council calls for parties in talks to develop road map for security measures UN News 25 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council today called on all parties involved in the intra-Yemeni peace talks to develop a road map for the implementation of interim security measures as they work towards a comprehensive agreement that will bring a permanent end to the political crisis in the country.
- 19 killed, 120 injured in militant attacks in Syria's Aleppo Press TV 25 Apr 2016 -- At least 19 civilians, including three children, have been killed in rocket attacks carried out by terrorist groups in Syria's northern city of Aleppo.
- Total of 72 Settlements, 52 Armed Groups Joined Syrian Ceasefire Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- The number of settlements that have joined ceasefire regime in Syria has increased to 72 while the number of armed groups that agreed to stop hostilities have grown to 52, the Russian Defense Ministry said Monday.
- Iraqi Kurds Counting on Further Supplies of Russian Arms Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- Head of Iraq's Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), Hemin Hawrami, said that he hopes deliveries of Russian equipment to Iraqi Kurds will continue in the future.
- Equality and justice 'not luxuries' but crucial foundations of Iraq's stability - deputy UN rights chief UN News 25 Apr 2016 -- Iraq must immediately take concrete steps to plan for "the day after" the defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a senior United Nations human rights official urged today, calling for measures grounded in equality, the rule of law and a vision that has earned the confidence of all the country's diverse communities.
- UN: Fight to Free Mosul to Have 'Massive Humanitarian Impact' VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- Humanitarian agencies are warning the fight to free Mosul from Islamic State control could have a huge impact on the civilian population caught in the crossfire.
- US to Dial Back Peace Efforts in South Sudan VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- The United States is set to take a back seat in peace negotiations between the government of South Sudan and rebel leaders following failures on both sides to fulfill an agreement to form a transitional government.
- PKK attack kills two soldiers, injures four in Turkey's southeast Press TV 25 Apr 2016 -- Two Turkish soldiers have been killed and four others injured in an armed attack by militants from the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the country's volatile southeast.
- Release of Classified Pages on Foreign 9/11 Support Imminent VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- Nearly 15 years after terrorists hijacked four passenger jets and crashed them into the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon outside Washington, D.C., and a farm field in Pennsylvania, 28 pages detailing foreign support for the attackers could soon be made public.
- Russia may buy heavy water from Iran Press TV 25 Apr 2016 -- Russia announced on Monday that it is considering buying 40 tons of heavy water from Iran in what could make Moscow the second customer of the nuclear material from Iran after Washington.
- Iran enjoys 'unparalleled' security: Intelligence minister Press TV 25 Apr 2016 -- Iran's Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi says while the insecurity prevailing in most countries in the Middle East and across the world, the Islamic Republic enjoys "unparalleled" security.
- Iran won't forget sanctions era allies: First VP Press TV 25 Apr 2016 -- Iranian First Vice President Es'haq Jahangiri reiterates the country's foreign policy on the expansion of ties with the international community, saying Iran will never forget its allies during years of sanctions.
- Iran Threatens Legal Action Against US Over Diverted Funds VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- Iran has threatened legal action against the United States if $2 billion in frozen funds are diverted to compensate American families of people killed by Tehran-sponsored terrorism.
- Zarif: Iran will take US to ICJ for misappropriation of funds IRNA 25 Apr 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif said on Monday that Iran will take the US to International Court of Justice for misappropriation of Iranian funds.
- 30 Years On, Chernobyl Evacuees Yearn Return to 'Death Zone' VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- In the early hours of April 26, 1986, Reactor 4 at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in then Soviet-controlled Ukraine exploded, releasing huge amounts of radiation into the air.
- China open to Sino-U.S. space cooperation People's Daily 25 Apr 2016 -- China is open to space cooperation with all nations including the United States, the heavyweights of China's space program said on Sunday, the anniversary of China's first satellite launch 46 years ago.
- Security Council urges stronger regional approach on eradicating piracy in Gulf of Guinea UN News 25 Apr 2016 -- United Nations officials today reiterated a call for a comprehensive regional framework to eradicate piracy and armed robbery at sea in the Gulf of Guinea, with the Security Council stressing the importance of addressing underlying causes and strengthening justice systems and judicial cooperation in the region.
- UN chief condemns murder of Burundian General and his family in Bujumbura UN News 25 Apr 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the assassination of Brigadier General Athanase Kararuza, his wife and daughter today in the crisis-torn country's capital, Bujumbura.
- ICC Opens Preliminary Probe Into Burundi Violence VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- The International Criminal Court says it is opening a preliminary probe into the violence that erupted last year in Burundi.
- China Pushes Anti-espionage Campaign VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- China has drawn attention in recent months for its high profile anti-espionage campaign that has included two criminal cases and several public warnings about the dangers of foreign spies.
- Saudi Reform Plans Call for Shift Away from Oil VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has unveiled a long-term plan that could result in its most significant economic change in decades by proposing a shift away from oil, the country's most valuable asset.
- Serbia's Pro-EU Party Wins General Election VOA 25 Apr 2016 -- Serbia's pro-European Union prime minister, Aleksandar Vucic, has won a landslide victory in general elections, the country's electoral commission confirmed Monday.
- Russia Hews Closer To Zhirinovsky's Wacky Vision Than You Might Have Expected RFE/RL 25 Apr 2016 -- one of the most popular tourist destinations among Russian tourists -- and prohibited Federal Security Service (FSB) employees, debtors, police officers, firefighters, and other categories of citizen from leaving the country.
- If Erdogan Can't Stand Criticism, 'He Shouldn't be in Politics' Sputnik 25 Apr 2016 -- The Turkish government has called on Turkish organizations in the Netherlands to collect information about Turks in the Netherlands who make insults against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Speaking to Sputnik, a representative of Turkey's leading opposition party in the Netherlands said that the measure serves only to humiliate Dutch Turks.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|