29 March 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 29 Mar 2016 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Iraq AFPS 29 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 29 Mar 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- U.S. Authorizes Ordered Departure of DoD Dependents from Turkey AFPS 29 Mar 2016 -- The U.S. government has authorized the ordered departure of Defense Department dependents from Turkey, including those at Incirlik Air Base, according to Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook.
- US Relocates Most Defense Family Members from Turkey VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- The United States has ordered military families to leave parts of southern Turkey due to safety concerns.
- Dunford Discusses Challenges to the Joint Force, Need for Defense Reform AFPS 29 Mar 2016 -- Challenges posed by Russia, China, North Korea, Iran and Islamic extremism have implications for the joint force, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said at the Center for Strategic and International Studies here today.
- Military Owes Civilian Leaders More Clarity, Dunford Says AFPS 29 Mar 2016 -- The military owes national leaders better clarity in the military dimension of U.S. power, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told a Center for Strategic and International Studies forum here today.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's meeting with Estonian Minister of Defense Hannes Hanso DoD 29 Mar 2016
- Maintenance is key to keeping Yokota, Kadena aircraft flying AFNS 29 Mar 2016 -- The aircraft at Yokota and Kadena air bases in Japan rely on the 374th Maintenance Squadron's phase docks to receive their maintenance and keep them going.
- Harpers Ferry Sailors Bid Farewell to Hong Kong NNS 29 Mar 2016 -- Dock landing ship USS Harpers Ferry (LSD 49) departed Hong Kong following a successful port visit, March 25.
- NATO Confirms Escorting Russian Aircraft Over Baltic Sea on March 28 Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- The NATO official explained on Tuesday that the alliance reacted to military and civil aircraft nearing member states' airspace and not following international flight norms.
- Russia May Launch Up to Three Glonass Satellites in 2016 Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- Russia may launch two or three Glonass navigation satellites this year, a senior space industry official said.
- DPRK fires short-range projectile in show of force People's Daily 29 Mar 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Tuesday fired a short-range projectile in an apparent show of force toward the ongoing U.S.-South Korea joint military exercises and sanctions on Pyongyang over its nuclear test and long-range rocket launch.
- South Korea says North test-fired short-range projectile Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- North Korea has test-fired a short-range missile on its eastern coast, the South says amid heightened tension between the two neighbors.
- Fired Up: N Korea Launches Latest Short-Range Missile Over Sea of Japan Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- North Korea fired a short-range missile from a city on its eastern coast, which flew over 120 miles (193 km) before hitting a land target at about 5:40 p.m. local time (9:10 GMT).
- North Korea Fires Another Short-Range Missile VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- South Korea says North Korea has fired a short-range missile into the sea off its east coast, in the latest response by the isolated regime to newly imposed international sanctions and ongoing joint U.S.-South Korean military drills.
- Moscow, New Delhi in Talks on Modernization of Indian Submarine Fleet Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- Sergey Goreslavsky, who is deputy director general of the Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport, said that Russia and India are negotiating the prospects for the development of the Indian Navy's diesel-electric submarine fleet.
- India Interested in Buying Russian Integrated Security Systems Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- India is going to obtain Russia's advanced integrated security systems.
- Saudi Arabia Looks to African Allies During Gulf Crises VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- Saudi Arabia appears intent on reaching across the Red Sea to build alliances in the Horn of Africa, where piracy, drug and weapons smuggling, and terrorism threaten commerce in the world's busiest shipping lanes.
- Canada's Breaking of Saudi Arms Deal to Lead to Damaging Consequences Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- Canada intends to honor existing arms contracts with Saudi Arabia because recalling the agreements would create a number of problems for the government and the industry, Canada's Foreign Minister Stephane Dion said at the Canada in Global Affairs Conference on Tuesday.
- UK to lead Gulf Maritime Force UK MOD 29 Mar 2016 -- The UK will lead a Gulf joint maritime force to deter piracy, tackle terrorism, and disrupt smuggling, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- Russia prepared to sell S-400 missile systems to India Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- Moscow is ready to sell five S-400 Triumph anti-aircraft missile systems to India at a request made by New Delhi late last year, Russia's Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) says.
- Moscow, Caracas Complete Negotiations on 12 Su-30 Fighter Jets Deal Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- A deal over selling 12 Su-30 fighter jets from Russia to Venezuela is about to be conducted.
- Multi-Mln Dollar Russian Deal to Ship Weapons to Caracas Nearly Complete Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- A multi-million dollar set of contracts for the delivery of Russian weaponry to Venezuela will be fulfilled by the end of 2016.
- Egypt Could Buy Russian Ka-52K Attack Helicopters for Mistral Warships Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- Russia is discussing the delivery of Ka-52K helicopters for the Mistral warships, the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation said.
- March 29, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 29 Mar 2016
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest En Route Atlanta, Georgia The White House 29 Mar 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for March 29, 2016
- Russia arms exports contracts hit 24-year high in 2015: Putin Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says his country's arms exports stood at $14.5 billion last year, bringing the total value of foreign arms orders to over $56 billion, the highest amount in post-Soviet era.
- Russian Arms Exports Totaled $14.5Bln in 2015 - Putin Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said that exports of Russian military equipment in 2015 exceeded expectations and totaled $14.5 billion.
- Russia's Success in Syria Heralds Surge in Interest in Su-24 Bomber Jets Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- Sergei Goreslavsky, a deputy director general of the Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport, said that recent events in Syria had triggered several Middle Eastern states' interest in Su-34 fighter-bombers.
- Syrian Campaign Pays Off as Moscow Lands Military Contracts Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces' success in Syria has already attracted the attention of a whole array of foreign customers, with the total value of the military contracts expected to be ten times that of the anti-terrorist operation itself, according to the Russian daily Kommersant.
- 29 March 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 29 Mar 2016
- Saudi war kills, maims 6 Yemeni kids a day: UNICEF Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- UNICEF says an average of six Yemeni children have been killed or wounded every day since the start of the Saudi military campaign against its impoverished neighbor a year ago.
- Yemen's children 'locked in a vicious cycle of violence, loss and uncertainty,' UN warns UN News 29 Mar 2016 -- Six children are killed or injured every day and children as young as 10 years old are recruited to fight in conflict-torn Yemen, according to a United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) report, which also underscored that child recruitment has risen exponentially during the fighting and that the country is at risk of becoming a failed State.
- UNICEF: Thousands of Yemeni Children Dying Due to Conflict VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- A report finds thousands of children in Yemen are dying from direct and indirect causes of the brutal year-long war. The U.N. Children's Fund says the rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation is devastating their lives.
- Syria military gains speed up political resolution: Assad Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- Syria's president has hailed the recent Russia-backed advances of the country's army against Takfiri militants, saying that they contribute to a faster political settlement to the crisis in the Arab country.
- Syrian army advances against Daesh near city of Homs Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- The Syrian army soldiers have made new advances towards the town of al-Qaryatayn in the central province of Homs in their latest push against the Takfiri Daesh terrorists wreaking havoc in the Arab country.
- 50 Nusra Front terrorists cross into Syria via Turkey: Russia Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- Russia says 50 militants belonging to al-Qaeda's Syrian branch, al-Nusra Front, have crossed Turkey's border into Syria.
- Iran urges intensification of Syria's anti-terror fight Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- Iran's defense minister has called on Syria to intensify its military operations in order to root out terrorism following the Arab country's recent advances against Daesh terrorists.
- Russian Medals Order Could Indicate Number Of Syria Troops RFE/RL 29 Mar 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is seeking to have 10,300 medals manufactured for "participants in the military operation in Syria," in what appears to be the closest official indication of the number of people who served in Russia's six-month military incursion in Syria.
- Russian Forces Get Set to Begin Clearing Palmyra of Mines Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- The group of Russian experts sent to Palmyra to assist demining operations is equipped with everything necessary for autonomous work, a source in the Russian military told RIA Novosti.
- One in 10 Syrian refugees will need resettling, UN agency warns ahead of conference UN News 29 Mar 2016 -- Supporting refugees is a global responsibility that must be widely shared, the UN refugee agency stressed today ahead of a one-day high-level conference it is hosting in Geneva tomorrow, focused on refugees from Syria and the need for generating a substantial increase in resettlement and other answers for their plight.
- Top US General: 'No Doubt' Russia Stabilized Syrian Regime VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- The top U.S. general says he has "no doubt" that Russian intervention in Syria propped up the government of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad.
- New UN-Arab League agreement aims to prevent conflict-related sexual violence UN News 29 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations and the League of Arab States today signed an agreement to strengthen collaboration on prevention of conflict-related sexual violence in the Arab region.
- Hunger and ongoing insecurity forcing South Sudanese to flee country, UN agency reports UN News 29 Mar 2016 -- Growing food insecurity is causing more and more South Sudanese to flee into Sudan, the United Nations refugee agency today, urging more funding for clean water, sanitation and health services, food and shelter.
- Hunger Driving Thousands of South Sudanese to Flee to Sudan VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations refugee agency reports hunger as well as ongoing conflict are driving tens of thousands of South Sudanese to flee their war-torn country into Sudan in search of food and security.
- UN chief welcomes signing by Sudanese Government of African Union roadmap agreement UN News 29 Mar 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the African Union's latest initiative to accelerate progress towards ending the fighting in Darfur, South Kordofan and the Blue Nile states.
- No End in Sight for Millions of Displaced Nigerians VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- As Boko Haram militants overran his village in the northeastern Borno State, John Ali sought safety. What he found instead was limbo.
- 16 killed as army, rebels clash in eastern DRC Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- More than a dozen people have lost their lives in three days of clashes between the army and rebels in the troubled eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- Senior UN official in Libya condemns reported executions, killings by armed groups UN News 29 Mar 2016 -- The top United Nations official in Libya today condemned recent reported executions and killings of civilians in the northern part of the country and called for the responsible to be held to account.
- Philippines Peace Advocates Remain Hopeful Despite Faltering Process VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- Two years after the Philippine government and the country's largest Muslim rebel group signed a pact aimed at ending four decades of bloody unrest in the south, questions remain about where the peace process is headed.
- Russian Boycott Of Nuclear Terrorism Summit Leaves U.S. 'Scratching Our Heads' RFE/RL 29 Mar 2016 -- When dozens of world leaders and top-level delegations from around the globe descend on the U.S. capital this week to discuss how to better protect nuclear materials from terrorists, officials from one nuclear power won't be there.
- Pakistan Detains Over 200 Suspects in Lahore Bombing VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- Authorities in Pakistan have detained more than 200 suspected Islamist militants in a major crackdown in connection with Sunday's suicide bombing in Lahore that killed at least 72 people, many of them Christians celebrating Easter.
- Death Toll from Brussels Attacks Revised Down to 32 VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- Belgium authorities said Tuesday that the number of people killed in last week's attacks on the Brussels airport and on a metro station was revised down to 32, excluding the three suicide bombers.
- US Urges Greater Intelligence Sharing in Europe After Attacks VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- The United States says more "can and must be done" with regards to boosting intelligence sharing in Europe following last week's deadly terror attacks in Brussels.
- Pyongyang's Combativeness a Focal Point for US, Asia Leaders VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- North Korea's ongoing nuclear and missile tests are a "profound threat" to regional stability, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Tuesday.
- North Korean Nuclear Rhetoric Against US May Be a Request for Talks Sputnik 29 Mar 2016 -- North Korea's heightened nuclear rhetoric against the United States and its allies may signal a desire to reengage in nuclear talks, Japanese member of the International Atomic Energy Agency Nobumasa Akiyama told Sputnik.
- Reports: North Korea Warns of New 'Arduous March' VOA 29 Mar 2016 -- North Korea is warning its citizens to prepare for possible food shortages as a new round of international sanctions begin to take effect.
- DPRK Foreign Minister Interviewed by TASS Foreign News Editor KCNA 29 Mar 2016 -- DPRK Foreign Minister Ri Su Yong gave the following answers to the questions put by the foreign news editor of TASS Tuesday as regards the DPRK's stand to cope with the situation prevailing on the Korean peninsula:
- Preemptive Nuclear Strike Is Not Monopoly of U.S.: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 29 Mar 2016 -- AP reported that north Korea's declaration that a nuclear warhead explosion test and a test-fire of several types of ballistic rockets capable of carrying nuclear warheads will be conducted in a short time sounds plausible and Washington should cautiously approach the former's nuclear development capability.
- Most people in Taiwan in favor of cross-strait status quo CNA 29 Mar 2016 -- An 86.7 percent of people in Taiwan are in favor of maintaining the status quo of the relations between the two sides of Taiwan Strait, according to the results of a survey released on Tuesday by the Cabinet-level Council Mainland Affairs Council (MAC).
- DPP likely to propose draft bill on monitoring cross-strait pacts CNA 29 Mar 2016 -- The legislative caucus of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) will likely put forth its draft bill on the monitoring of agreements between Taiwan and China, according to a decision reached at a meeting of party officials and party members holding public offices Tuesday.
- Top Ukrainian Parties To Form New Coalition Led By Hroysman RFE/RL 28 Mar 2016 -- Ukraine's three major parliamentary parties have agreed to form a new coalition on March 29 and nominate parliamentary speaker Volodymyr Hroysman to be Ukraine's new prime minister, party officials said.
- Ukraine MPs approve top prosecutor's resignation over corruption Press TV 29 Mar 2016 -- Ukrainian parliamentarians have accepted the resignation of the country's prosecutor general, Viktor Shokin, amid public anger at the failure of the government to properly tackle corruption.
- UN declares Ebola public health emergency over; urges 'high vigilance' against flare-ups UN News 29 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) today said West Africa's Ebola outbreak no longer constitutes an international public health threat, declaring that the 20-month global emergency response is over but stressing that a "high level of vigilance" must be maintained.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|