11 March 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 11 Mar 2016 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 11 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Colonel Warren via teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 11 Mar 2016 -- Presenter: Colonel Steve Warren, Operation Inherent Resolve Spokesman; Captain Jeff Davis, Director, Defense Press Office
- OIR Spokesman: 82nd Airborne Division Completes Iraq Mission AFPS 11 Mar 2016 -- The 82nd Airborne Division relinquished command of the Combined Joint Forces Land Component Command – Iraq, to the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) March 8 in Baghdad, Combined Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren told reporters here today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 11 Mar 2016 -- Royal Air Force aircraft, flying as part of the global coalition against Daesh, have struck further terrorist targets in support of the Iraqi ground forces.
- Afghan Air Force Not Ready Until 2020, Top US General Says VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- The Afghan air force will not reach necessary strength levels until 2020, according to a top U.S. general.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Obama 'proud' didn't bomb Syria over claimed chemical arms use Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has said he is "proud" that he stood up to intense pressure in 2013 and refused to order airstrikes against Syria on allegations that the Syrian government used chemical weapons near Damascus.
- Northcom's First Priority is 'No-Fail' Homeland Defense, Commander Says AFPS 11 Mar 2016 -- Homeland defense is the first priority of U.S. Northern Command, Navy Adm. William E. Gortney told members of the House Armed Services Committee yesterday.
- Air Force continues to pursue total force integration AFNS 11 Mar 2016 -- The Air Force continues to make strides toward total force integration, according to an annual report submitted to Congress March 4.
- Dunford: Colombia Is at Inflection Point AFPS 11 Mar 2016 -- The Colombian government's imminent peace accord with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, will help to put an end to an insurgency that stretches back to the 1960s, but it also complicates the situation in Colombia, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said today.
- 'Issue of the Day' Shouldn't Overshadow Opportunities, Dunford Says AFPS 11 Mar 2016 -- While the world is complex and many issues compete for limited time and resources, the U.S. military cannot let the "issue of the day" overwhelm all else, and that is a primary focus of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff's trip to the U.S. Southern Command area of operations this week.
- Tidd: Global Terrorist, Criminal Networks Southcom's Biggest Threat AFPS 11 Mar 2016 -- Global terrorist and criminal networks are U.S. Southern Command's biggest threat, corrosively affecting the stability and security of the United States and every country they infect, Navy Adm. Kurt W. Tidd told a Senate panel yesterday.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the President's Nomination of General Curtis Scaparrotti as EUCOM and SACEUR Commander DoD 11 Mar 2016
- USS William P. Lawrence Wraps Up OMSI, Rejoins Great Green Fleet NNS 11 Mar 2016 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS William P. Lawrence (DDG 110) rejoined the John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group (JCSSG) March 11, upon completion of her Oceania Maritime Security Initiative (OMSI) tasking in the Western Pacific.
- US Navy, JMSDF Complete Annual Bilateral Training Exercise Multi Sail 2016 NNS 11 Mar 2016 -- Commander, Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 15, Commander, Task Force (CTF) 72, and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) completed the annual bilateral training exercise Multi Sail 2016 March 11.
- USS Emory S Land Visits Sasebo NNS 11 Mar 2016 -- Submarine tender USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) arrived in Sasebo, Japan, for a port visit, March 11.
- 30th NCR Partners with ROK Seabees for Foal Eagle NNS 11 Mar 2016 -- The 30th Naval Construction Regiment (30 NCR) is working hand-in-hand with Republic of Korea (ROK) Seabees for exercise Foal Eagle, March 10.
- USS Mississippi Visits Yokosuka during Indo-Asia-Pacific Deployment NNS 11 Mar 2016 -- The Virginia-class attack submarine USS Mississippi (SSN 782) arrived at Fleet Activities Yokosuka March 11 for a routine visit as part of its maiden Indo-Asia-Pacific deployment.
- USS Fort McHenry Completes Exercise Cold Response 2016 NNS 11 Mar 2016 -- Whidbey Island-class dock landing ship USS Fort McHenry (LSD 43) departed the Fjords in Namsos, Norway, after a final gear recovery before wrapping up its participation in Exercise Cold Response 2016 (CDR 16) March 10.
- Strategic Deterrence Requires Long-Term Approach, Stratcom Commander Tells SASC AFPS 11 Mar 2016 -- Navy Adm. Cecil D. Haney testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Stratcom's fiscal year 2017 budget, stressing that it's critical to modernize the nuclear deterrent capabilities that underpin national security.
- Syria Anti-Terror Campaign Major Test for Russian Modern Military Equipment Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- President Vladimir Putin said that the Russian anti-terrorist campaign in Syria has become a major test for the country's modern military equipment, especially for aircraft.
- Russian Defense Ministry Orders Three More Arctic Helicopters Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has ordered the delivery of three additional helicopter developed specifically for the Arctic deployment, a managing director of Ulan-Ude Aviation Plant manufacturing facility, part of Russia's state technologies corporation Rostec, said Friday.
- Russian Military Received 5 Planes, 15 Helicopters, Frigate in 2016 Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The Russian Armed Forces have received five planes, 15 helicopters and a frigate since the beginning of 2016, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said Friday.
- Super Stealthy: New-Look Russian Nuclear Sub to Join Pacific Fleet Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The Kuzbass nuclear-powered submarine is completing a series of sea trials and will soon resume active duty at Russia's Pacific Fleet, the Fleet's press service said on Thursday.
- Submarine Spotting: Russian Sub Allegedly Detected Off French Coast Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- A Russian ballistic missile submarine was allegedly spotted in the Atlantic off the French coast in the Bay of Biscay in early January, La Nouvel Observateur (L'Obs) reported, citing an unnamed high-ranking official.
- Iron Fist: Russian SMF Received 21 Ballistic Missiles in 2015 Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- Russia's Strategic Missile Forces received 21 intercontinental ballistic missiles in 2015.
- Aim Higher: Russian Aerospace Forces Received Nearly 400 Aircraft in 2015 Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces received more than 230 planes, 158 helicopters, and 191 radars in 2015.
- Growing Power: Russian Navy Received 56 Ships, Four Submarines in 2015 Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The Russian Navy received four warships, four submarines, 52 auxiliary ships, two Bastion coastal missile systems, 27 naval aircraft, and 45 missile-artillery systems in 2015.
- Russia to Start Mass Production of Advanced Radio Sets for Army in 2017 Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The new radio sets feature the ability to choose optimal communication routes and the automatic testing and restoration of operational capacity. The signal covers a distance of up to 600 km without 'dead zones'.
- Russian Supersonic Tu-22M3 Bombers Joining Military Drills in Tajikistan Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- Russian Tu-22M3 supersonic bombers are on their way to the Ayni airbase in Tajikistan to join bilateral military exercises, an aide to the commander of the Russian Defense Ministry's Central Military District said Friday.
- 14 military officers to be punished for inappropriate action CNA 11 Mar 2016 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) announced Friday a list of 14 military officers to be punished over the controversial handling of a case that led to accusations of an illegal search by military police.
- China's Position on US Arms Sales to Taiwan Consistent and Firm: FM People's Daily 11 Mar 2016 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi gives a press conference on the sidelines of the fourth session of China's 12th National People's Congress in Beijing, capital of China, March 8, 2016. [Photo: Xinhua/Li Xin]
- Sky Warriors: Russia to Deliver Su-35 Fighter Jets to China After 2016 Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The contract was signed but it has not come into effect yet, as both sides have not ratified the deal.
- N. Korea Leader Orders Nuclear Weapons Ready for Action People's Daily 11 Mar 2016 -- Top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un has ordered all nuclear strike means to be ready for action when he watched a firing drill of ballistic rockets, the official KCNA news agency reported Friday.
- North Korea's leader orders mini nuke tests Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- North Korean ruler Kim Jong-un has ordered more nuclear tests using the miniaturized nuclear warheads, which he recently claimed the country has produced.
- 'Flames and Ashes': Pyongyang Orders More Nuclear Tests Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- Pyongyang claims to have miniaturized nuclear warhead capabilities, placing the world in North Korea's crosshairs, but security analysts remain skeptical on how far the Kim regime has come.
- Reports: North Korean Leader Orders More Nuclear Tests VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered the country to improve its nuclear attack capability after watching a recent ballistic missile launch test, the country's state media reports.
- Iran missile might impervious to sanctions, resolutions: Commander Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Islamic Republic will continue to augment its missile program even if it is targeted with fresh sanctions.
- Russia to ship first S-300 system to Iran in August-September Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Moscow says it is set to deliver Russian-made surface-to-air S-300 missile defense systems to Iran before the end of this year.
- U.S. Senators Question Selling Pakistan F-16s, But Approve Deal RFE/RL 11 Mar 2016 -- U.S. senators have questioned the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan, which they called an 'uncertain ally' of the United States, but in the end they upheld the deal.
- Czech Republic to Place Arms Orders Worth Nearly $1Bln in 2016 Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- Prague plans to purchase 12 helicopters, eight 3D radar systems and 42 armored TITUS vehicles.
- Press Gaggle by the Press Secretary en route Austin, Texas, 3/11/16 The White House 11 Mar 2016
- March 11, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2016
- 11 March 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 11 Mar 2016
- Security Council endorses steps to combat sexual exploitation by UN peacekeepers UN News 11 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council today endorsed special measures recommended by Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to prevent and combat sexual exploitation and abuse by UN peacekeepers.
- India Rejects Joint Naval Patrols with US in South China Sea VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- India has ruled out participating in joint patrols in the South China Sea proposed by the United States. Experts say that India wants to focus on containing Chinese influence in the Indian Ocean and despite a growing strategic partnership, it remains wary of being part of a military alliance with Washington.
- Nearly two dozen of Riyadh's mercenaries killed in Yemen Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Nearly two pro-Saudi militants loyal to fugitive former Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have been killed in an offensive by Yemeni army forces and allied fighters in the southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- Fresh Blood! New US Mercenaries Deployed to Fight Against Rebels in Yemen Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- New mercenaries of the US company DynCorp have recently arrived in Yemen to fight rebels in the country. They should replace the mercenaries of the company Blackwater, many of whom had been killed in battle, German newspaper Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten (DWN) reported.
- As UN Prepares to Resume Syrian Talks, US Condemns Cease-Fire Violations VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- The United States on Friday condemned the Syrian government for hampering deliveries of humanitarian aid and for launching airstrikes that have reportedly hit civilians.
- Key powers discuss possibility of Syria federal division: Diplomats Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Major powers have discussed a federal division of Syria as a possible option to end five years of foreign-backed militancy in the Arab state, UN diplomats say.
- Syrian Army Destroys Daesh Command Center, Firing Positions Near Palmyra Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The Syrian army has destroyed four Daesh firing positions, a large disguised ammunition depot and a command center northwest of the city of Palmyra, a source in the operational headquarters of the army said Friday.
- Russian-Syrian Humanitarian Aid Delivered to Syria's Al Tall Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- The Russian-Syrian humanitarian aid is delivered to partially seized by militants Syria's southern city of Al Tall in the Damascus province, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported Friday.
- Adherence to the Cessation of Hostilities US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2016 -- "After two weeks, the Cessation of Hostilities in Syria is still largely holding. None of the armed factions, nor the High Negotiations Committee (HNC) itself, has indicated they want the Cessation to end, and so the United States, the UN, and other members of the International Syria Support Group (ISSG) consider it still in effect. "
- UN aid officials, partners appeal for 'real peace' ahead of Syrian conflict anniversary UN News 11 Mar 2016 -- Ahead of the fifth anniversary of the Syrian conflict, senior United Nations humanitarian officials and their partners today made a joint appeal for a political solution to end the fighting and pledged to keep up pressure for access to all civilians in the country.
- UN refugee agency concerned about restrictions on Iraqis in displacement camps UN News 11 Mar 2016 -- Concerned about hampering the rights of displaced Iraqis seeking shelter in camps, the United Nations refugee agency today urged the Government to set up clear procedures and special facilities for screening people that are separate from camps established to provide shelter and humanitarian aid.
- US blasts Britain, France over chaos in Libya Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has criticized America's traditional allies, the United Kingdom and France, over their Libya policy in the aftermath of the 2011 overthrow of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
- Daesh expanding presence in Libya, UN warns Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- United Nations experts say the Daesh terror group has "significantly" strengthened its foothold in Libya, which is still grappling with the consequences of a NATO military intervention in 2011.
- Libya: UN urges humanitarian ceasefires, safe exit of civilians trapped in Benghazi UN News 11 Mar 2016 -- The top United Nations relief official for Libya today called for humanitarian ceasefires and the safe exit of civilians trapped in fighting areas in Benghazi, following reports that many families, specifically in the Qanfouda and Qawarsha neighbourhoods, face shortages of electricity, food and medical supplies.
- Tunisia forces kill 3 militants in southeastern border town Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Tunisian forces have raided a southeastern town close to the country's border with Libya, killing three militants and detaining another.
- South Sudan: UN report contains "searing" account of killings, rapes and destruction OHCHR 11 Mar 2016 -- A new report on South Sudan published Friday by the UN Human Rights Office describes "in searing detail" a multitude of horrendous human rights violations, including a Government-operated "scorched earth policy," and deliberate targeting of civilians for killing, rape and pillage.
- UN report highlights 'searing' account of killings, rapes by South Sudanese forces UN News 11 Mar 2016 -- A new United Nations report on the human rights situation in South Sudan published today describes a multitude of horrendous violations in "searing detail," in particular by Government forces, including cases of civilians burned alive or cut to pieces and a teenage girl being raped by ten soldiers.
- UN Decries 'Horrendous Human Rights Violations' in South Sudan VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- A new United Nations report accuses South Sudanese soldiers and affiliated militias of using mass rape as a weapon of terror and of employing a "scorched earth policy" against the civilian population.
- South Sudan: UN announces independent high-level probe into Malakal events UN News 11 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations will convene an independent high-level board of inquiry to conduct an in-depth investigation into how the UN responded last month to deadly violence in the town of Malakal, in northern South Sudan.
- Russia Presses for Details in Ex-Putin Aide's Death VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- Russian officials complain they've been frustrated in repeated efforts to get information about the mysterious death of Mikhail Lesin, a former aide to President Vladimir Putin whose battered body was found in a Washington hotel room four months ago.
- Blunt Force: Key Facts About The Mysterious Death Of Ex-Putin Adviser Mikhail Lesin RFE/RL 11 Mar 2016 -- On November 3, 2015, hundreds of guests gathered at the swanky Ritz-Carlton hotel in the U.S. capital for a dinner (...). On the guest list that evening, (...) was Mikhail Lesin, a former Russian press minister, Kremlin adviser, and central player in President Vladimir Putin's consolidation of state control over the media.
- Moscow Asks Washington For Information Regarding Lesin Death RFE/RL 11 Mar 2016 -- Russia's Prosecutor-General Yury Chaika has made an official request to Washington for information concerning the death of former Russian press minister and presidential adviser Mikhail Lesin.
- Russian Banker Accused Of Spying In U.S. Pleads Guilty RFE/RL 11 Mar 2016 -- A Russian banker accused in the United States of participating in a spy ring has pleaded guilty to conspiracy.
- Russian National Accused of Spying Pleads Guilty in US Court Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- A Russian national, who was indicted last February on charges of gathering information for Russia's intelligence service, has pleaded guilty to a criminal conspiracy charge.
- Russian National Pleads Guilty to Spying in US VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- A Russian national has pleaded guilty to conspiring to spy for Russian intelligence in the United States, the Department of Justice said in a release Friday.
- China-Russia Talks Focus on North Korea VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi's two-day visit to Moscow this week has largely focused on North Korea's increasing nuclear threats.
- US Senators Push for Action on Reunions with N. Korean Families VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- A group of U.S. senators is proposing legislation to try to reunite Korean Americans with their families in North Korea.
- Commentary: Pull the North Korean nuclear issue back to the negotiating table People's Daily 11 Mar 2016 -- People's Daily published a commentary titled 'Pull the North Korean nuclear issue back to the negotiating table' on March 11. The article gives an in-depth analysis of Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi's remarks on the North Korean nuclear issue on March 8. It points out in the article that China supports Resolution 2270 passed by the UN Security Council, warning the risks of hesitation and gambling on the DPRK nuclear issue. The article reiterates the importance of denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula through peaceful means by restarting the six-party talks.
- Russia president signs decree on UN Iran resolution fulfillment Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree announcing his country's fulfillment of a United Nations Security Council resolution on Iran's nuclear program.
- Iraqi protesters demand formation of new cabinet Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- Tens of thousands of Iraqis held a demonstration in the capital, Baghdad, Friday to call for Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi to form a new cabinet of independent and professional ministers.
- Myanmar's NLD Presidential Nominee Has Deep Party Roots VOA 11 Mar 2016 -- Htin Kyaw, confirmed Friday as presidential nominee for Myanmar's National League for Democracy (NLD), is a close aide to party leader Aung San Suu Kyi who's believed likely to win the country's top office and govern on her behalf.
- Leaked Daesh files likely genuine: German police Press TV 11 Mar 2016 -- The Federal Criminal Police Office of Germany (BKA) says it is highly probable that the leaked files containing a treasure trove of details about Daesh terrorists are authentic.
- Belgium Plans to Create Own National Space Agency - Reports Sputnik 11 Mar 2016 -- Belgium plans to create its own state space agency, and cooperate with China on a satellite launch program, media reported Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|