02 January 2016 Military News
- Coalition Strikes ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Jan 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban Claims Large Swath of Afghan Territory During 2015 VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- The Taliban claims it gained control of about 10 percent of Afghanistan during the past year, and says it still holds most of the captured territory.
- Inter-Jihadi Harmony: Afghan Taliban Factions Agree to Ceasefire Sputnik 02 Jan 2016 -- Two rival factions of the Taliban in Afghanistan have reportedly agreed to put an end to fierce internal infighting.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Sea Ghost: New Russian Submarine is Stealthier Than a 'Black Hole' Sputnik 02 Jan 2016 -- Russia's newest silent submarine is even stealthier than its sneaky predecessor.
- New conditions require stronger Chinese military People's Daily 02 Jan 2016 -- On the very first day of 2016, China's Central Military Commission (CMC) released a guideline on deepening national defense and military reform. A day before that, the CMC announced the establishment of the General Command of Army, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Rocket Force and the PLA Strategic Support Force. The PLA is now standing at a new historical crossroads.
- China releases guideline on military reform People's Daily 02 Jan 2016 -- The Central Military Commission (CMC) has released a guideline on deepening national defense and military reform, about a month after CMC Chairman Xi Jinping called on a military administration and command system overhaul at a key meeting.
- China restructures army aimed at efficiency Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Chin has introduced major changes to the structure of its military as part of efforts to reinforce its armed forces and maximize their efficiency vis-à-vis potential threats.
- To Strengthen Fighting Force, China Creates 3 New Military Units VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- China has created three new military units as it seeks to build a stronger, more efficient fighting force -- and at a time when it seeks to strengthen its position on maritime territory disputes.
- Iranian Officials Defiant In Ramping Up Missile Program RFE/RL 02 Jan 2016 -- Iranian officials are vowing to increase Iran's missile capabilities amid reports from Washington of new sanctions against Tehran for its testing of a ballistic missile in October.
- Larijani: President's order on missile program, answer to US bullying IRNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said the order of the Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to accelerate the country's missile program came as an answer to the American strong-arm decisions.
- Iran seriously continues expanding missile capability, says defense official ISNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Iran is seriously continues expanding its defense and missile capability, said Armed Forces General Staff Deputy IRGC Brigadier General Massoud Jazayeri.
- Iran boosts missile prowess to increase deterrence: Defense minister Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan says the Islamic Republic will boost its missile capabilities in the shortest time possible to increase its effective deterrent power.
- Iran to continue developing missile program: Legislator Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani says the Islamic Republic is resolute to continue developing its indigenous missile program.
- Saudi regime officially declares end of Yemen truce Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- The Saudi regime has officially declared the end of a shaky truce brokered by the United Nations that was meant to end the war on Yemen.
- Syria army inflicts heavy losses on Nusra Front in Dara'a Province Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Syria's army has conducted an operation against the al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Nusra Front terrorists and other militants, inflicting heavy losses on the Takfiris in the southern part of the country.
- Syrian Army Continues Attacks on Terrorists Around Damascus Sputnik 02 Jan 2016 -- Syrian government forces have inflicted heavy losses on Islamic terrorists in the countryside around Damascus, reported Iran's news agency FARS.
- Syrian Army Welcomes in New Year by Driving Out Terrorists in Key Provinces Sputnik 02 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian army, supported by the Russian and Syrian air strikes, has reportedly destroyed militants' positions in a whole array of provinces in the past 24 hours.
- Iraq cleansing northern Ramadi of Daesh terrorists Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Iraq's military is engaged in a clean-up operation in northern Ramadi, Anbar Province, to rid the city of the remaining terrorists of the Daesh Takfiri group.
- Punjab airbase operation over, 7 killed, including two India soldiers Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- India says its security forces have repelled an attack by gunmen on an airbase in the northern state of Punjab, ending an operation that led to the death of seven people.
- Seven Dead After Gunmen Attack Indian Air Force Base VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- Seven people were killed at an air force base in India's northern Punjab state in a terror attack that is being seen as an effort to derail recent peace efforts between India and Pakistan.
- More Crimean Power Shortages Likely With End Of Ukraine Supplies RFE/RL 02 Jan 2016 -- Residents of Crimea face several more months of power shortages as Russia appears to have ended a contract with Ukraine to deliver electricity to the peninsula it annexed in 2014.
- Egyptian Army Kills Over 40 Extremists in Northern Sinai Sputnik 02 Jan 2016 -- Egypt's Air Force aircraft killed on Saturday more than 40 terrorists affiliated with Daesh extremist group in the north of Sinai Peninsula.
- Turkish Military Kills Hundreds of Kurdish Rebels in Raids Sputnik 02 Jan 2016 -- Turkish armed forces killed almost 300 Kurdish militants in military operation held in three districts across the Sirnak and Diyarbakir provinces in southeastern Turkey, according to the Turkish General Staff.
- Libya: UN envoy holds New Year talks to boost support for unity accord UN News 02 Jan 2016 -- Strife-torn Libya begins 2016 with a ray of hope and the possibility of rediscovering peace in unity, the top United Nations envoy to the country has stressed in a New Year's Day message as he held talks with a cross-section of political leaders.
- Saudi Executions US Dept. of State 02 Jan 2016 -- Press Statement by John Kirby, Spokesperson, Bureau of Public Affairs
- Chief of Court of Grievances comments on rulings against 47 terrorists Saudi Press Agency 02 Jan 2016-- The President of the Court of Grievances Sheikh Dr. Khalid bin Mohammed Al-Yousef, who is also Chairman of Administrative Judiciary, said today that among the several blessings of our country is that its judiciary is based on the teachings and instructions of the holy Quran and deeds and sayings of Prophet Mohammed (pbuh), citing today's executions of some members of the deviant group for their acts of bloodshed and corruption.
- Saudi executes 47 people, including Sheikh Nimr Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has executed Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr along with 47 others in defiance of international calls for the release of the prominent Shia cleric and other jailed political dissidents in the kingdom.
- Saudi Arabia Executes 47, Including Prominent Shi'ite Cleric VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has carried out its largest mass execution in more than three decades, putting to death 47 people convicted of terrorism, including a prominent Shi'ite cleric.
- Shi'ite Muslims Outraged by Saudi Execution of Cleric VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- The execution of a prominent Shi'ite critic of Saudi Arabia's ruling royal family has caused international outrage and a serious escalation of diplomatic tensions in the region, with unrest predicted in Shia-majority areas.
- Iran Accuses Saudi Arabia Of Supporting Terrorism After Shi'ite Cleric's Execution RFE/RL 02 Jan 2016 -- Iran has accused regional rival Saudi Arabia of supporting terrorism after the kingdom said it had executed a top Shi'ite cleric on terrorism charges.
- Saudi Arabia executed 157 in 2015, sets record since 1995 Press TV 01 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has carried out 157 executions in 2015, most of which were beheading by sword. This is a record of the most capital punishments conducted in a single year since 1995.
- Saudi Arabia executes Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr IRNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia on Saturday executed Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, a Shia Muslim cleric known for his sermons criticizing the kingdom's government and for his support of political protests in the country's oil-rich Eastern Province.
- Iran 'strongly' condemns Saudi execution of Sheikh al-Nimr IRNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaber Ansari 'strongly' condemned the execution of the senior Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr by Saudi Arabia.
- Islamic Guidance Minister condoles martyrdom of Sheikh Nimr IRNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance Ali Jannati on Saturday condoled martyrdom of prominent Shia Leader Sheikh Nimr Baqer al-Nimr in Saudi Arabia.
- Iran takes diplomatic offensive against Saudi kingdom for death of Shia leader IRNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Iran took diplomatic offensive against Saudi kingdom over death of the Shia religious leader.
- Larijani: Saudi rulers create horrible quagmire for themselves IRNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani in a message on the occasion of martyrdom of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr said that undoubtedly hostile behavior of the Saudi regime in execution of Sheikh Nimr lacerate feeling of Muslims all around the world and the Saudi rulers should know that by such act they have created a horrible quagmire for themselves.
- Iran blasts execution of Saudi prominent Shiite cleric ISNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Iran categorically slammed execution of prominent Saudi Shiite cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr.
- Lebanon's Hezbollah slams Nimr execution as 'assassination' Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Lebanon's resistance movement Hezbollah has condemned as an "assassination" Saudi Arabia's execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr.
- Iranian clerics condemn Sheikh Nimr execution by Riyadh Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Senior Iranian clerics have condemned Saudi Arabia's execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr Baqr al-Nimr despite international calls on Riyadh to revoke the religious figure's death verdict.
- Nimr execution indicates Saudi monarchy nearing demise: Senior Iran MP Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- A senior Iranian legislator has condemned the execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr Baqir al-Nimr in Saudi Arabia, saying the move is a sign that the rule of Al Saud monarchy is reaching the end of the road.
- Saudi armored vehicles heading to Qatif: Report Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Saudi armored vehicles are headed to the restive city of Qatif in Eastern Province after the execution of prominent cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, a report says.
- Iran strongly condemns Nimr execution Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Iran has strongly condemned Saudi Arabia's execution of prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr Baqr al-Nimr, denouncing it as deeply irresponsible.
- Iranian Ayatollah Condemns Execution of Shiite Cleric in Saudi Arabia Sputnik 02 Jan 2016 -- Saudi Arabia committed a crime by executing Shiite preacher Nimr al-Nimr, senior Iranian Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami said Saturday.
- Travel alert for China's Shanghai, Jiangxi raised after new H7N9 cases CNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Taiwan has raised a travel advisory for China's Shanghai City and Jiangxi Province by one level after two H7N9 avian flu cases were reported there, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said Saturday.
- Ebola's Effect on West African Children,Traditions Outlasts Disease VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- Guinea and Sierra Leone have been declared Ebola-free, while Liberia is expected to follow in mid-January. Experts say that health care systems need to be rebuilt and that safety practices adopted during the crisis must be maintained to prevent future outbreaks.
- Baeedinejad: Iran accepts IAEA supervision on nuclear program IRNA 02 Jan 2016 -- Foreign Ministry Director General for political and security affairs Hamid Baeedinejad said on Saturday that supervision of International Atomic Energy Agency on Iran's nuclear program had been envisaged by the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Chinese man wanted on corruption charges returned from Africa People's Daily 02 Jan 2016 -- One of China's most-wanted fugitives suspected of bribery was brought home on Friday from the Republic of Guinea, following cooperation between the two countries' law enforcement departments.
- Turkey needs Israel, Erdogan says Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey and Israel must improve their relations, stressing that his country needs the Tel Aviv regime.
- Erdogan's Hitler comments create uproar in Turkey Press TV 02 Jan 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has come under criticism at home for citing Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler as an example for his controversial push for greater powers, although he has rejected the comments as misinterpreted.
- Congo Republic Opposition Groups to Mull Election Date VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- Opposition political parties plan to meet next week to decide whether to participate in the Congo Republic's presidential election now scheduled for March 20.
- Uganda Electoral Commission Issues New Directive for Candidates VOA 02 Jan 2016 -- Uganda's electoral commission has issued a new directive banning all presidential candidates from campaigning in specific areas, including places of worship, markets and health institutions. This, after calling on the inspector general of police, Gen. Kale Kayihura to enforce the directive.
- Statement from President Clinton and Secretary Clinton on the Passing of Dale Bumpers Clinton Foundation 02 Jan 2016
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|