10 December 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 10 Dec 2015 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Col. Warren via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 10 Dec 2015 -- Presenter: Colonel Steve Warren, Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman
- Gains Made Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq, Coalition Spokesman Says AFPS 10 Dec 2015 -- Forces fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant continue to make progress, including with the killing of three ISIL leaders, the Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman said today.
- US-Led Airstrikes Kill 3 Islamic State Leaders VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- The Pentagon says recent U.S.-led coalition airstrikes in Syria and Iraq have killed three senior Islamic State leaders, including the extremist group's financial chief.
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Dec 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Risky Move: US Attack Helicopters May Battle Daesh in Ramadi Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- In the fight against terrorism, the United States plans to deploy Apache attack helicopters to Iraq. It's a move that could further entrench Washington in a conflict from which it has long tried to extract itself.e
- As US Struggles in Syria, Pentagon Pushes to Build Network of Base Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- The US military must move with the plan to build a cobweb of bases to combat Daesh more effectively, US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter said during a joint press conference with the India Defense Minister on Thursday.
- It's All About the Bases: US Ready to Roll Out More 'Hubs' to Fight Daesh Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- The proposed new bases would consist of four "hubs" that would expand on existing US bases in Djibouti and Afghanistan with anywhere from 500 to 5,000 troops, according to media.
- Report: 200 US soldiers arrive in Iraq's embattled Anbar Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- The US military has deployed some 200 troops to Iraq's western province of Anbar to purportedly take part in operations to retake the territory from the Takfiri Daesh militants, a report says.
- Death toll from Taliban raid on Kunduz airport hits 50 Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- Afghan officials say at least 50 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in an attack by Taliban militants on an airport in the southern city of Kandahar and the ensuing clashes with security forces.
- Taliban militants overrun district in south Afghanistan Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- Taliban militants have taken control of a district in Afghanistan's southern province of Helmand, local authorities say.
- Kabul Says Taliban Killed More Than 50 At Kandahar Airfield RFE/RL 10 Dec 2015 -- Afghanistan's Defense Ministry says Taliban militants killed more than 50 people when they attacked and infiltrated the country's second-largest military base this week -- the sprawling Kandahar Airfield.
- Afghanistan: UN mission condemns Taliban attack at Kandahar Airport UN News 10 Dec 2015 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) condemned the Taliban initiated attack at Kandahar airport on 8 December, which reportedly killed 39 civilians, including four children and injured at least 23 civilians.
- At Least 50 Dead in Taliban Attack on Key Afghanistan Airport VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- A large-scale Taliban assault on a key airport in southern Afghanistan ended late Wednesday, according to Afghan officials, who said that the deal toll his risen to 50.
- Afghan spy chief resigns over 'disagreements' with president Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- The head of Afghanistan's main spy agency has tendered his resignation, citing disagreements with President Ashraf Ghani over his policies amid the rising Taliban militancy in the war-torn Asian state.
- Afghan Spy Chief Resigns, Cites Policy Differences With Ghani VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- Afghanistan's spy chief resigned over policy disagreements with President Ashraf Ghani, according to a copy of the resignation letter sent to the media on Thursday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US-India Joint Statement on the visit of Minister of Defence Manohar Parrikar to the United States DoD 10 Dec 2015 -- Minister of Defence of India Manohar Parrikar made an official visit to the United States at the invitation of U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter from Dec. 7-10 that included visits to multiple U.S. facilities including U.S. Pacific Command (PACOM), the Pentagon, and a visit with Secretary Carter to observe flight operations aboard the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69).
- Joint Press Briefing by Secretary Carter and Minister Parrikar in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 10 Dec 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, Indian Minister of Defence Manohar Parrikar
- Standard Missile Completes First Intercept Test from Aegis Ashore Test Site MDA 10 Dec 2015 -- The Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS) Operational Test Agency, in conjunction with U.S. Pacific Command, U.S. European Command, and Joint Functional Component Command for Integrated Missile Defense, successfully conducted the first intercept flight test today (December 9, Hawaii Standard Time) of a land-based Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) weapon system and Standard Missile (SM)-3 Block IB Threat Upgrade guided missile, launched from the Aegis Ashore Missile Defense Test Complex at the Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF), Kauai, Hawaii.
- Comm Airmen keep OIR mission connected AFNS 10 Dec 2015 -- The demand for communication capabilities is on the rise at Incirlik Air Base with the addition of aircraft and service members in support of Operation Inherent Resolve missions.
- ACC charts path for remote aircrews, units AFNS 10 Dec 2015 -- Air Combat Command officials announced the results of their study into the remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) community in an attempt to normalize operations and ensure long-term mission success.
- Military Leaders from More Than 40 Nations Attend SECNAV-Hosted Gulf of Guinea Maritime Security Dialogue 2015 NNS 10 Dec 2015 -- Delegates from more than 40 countries across Africa, Europe and the Americas attended the Gulf of Guinea Maritime Security Dialogue 2015 at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., Dec. 8-10.
- USS Shamal Enters 4th Fleet Area of Operations NNS 10 Dec 2015 -- The Cyclone-class Patrol Coastal USS Shamal (PC 13) entered the 4th Fleet area of operations to conduct counter illicit trafficking operations in support of Operation Martillo, Dec. 9.
- Aircraft with a cold shoulder AFNS 10 Dec 2015 -- If driving in snow is a hassle, imagine flying. Instead of every turn being a skidding accident waiting to happen, blocky wings couldn't get the right lift and flying straight would be an impossible task.
- Enhanced Use Lease brings 30-MW solar energy project to Eglin AFB AFNS 10 Dec 2015 -- As part of an Air Force Community Partnership and Energy Program initiative, the Air Force and Gulf Power Company signed an Enhanced Use Lease Nov. 24 to develop a 30-megawatt photovoltaic solar energy project on a 240-acre parcel of land on Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
- Marines focus intelligence capabilities in Baltics USMC News 10 Dec 2015 -- Marines introduced the concept of Company Level Intelligence Cells to Land Forces brigade officers and noncommissioned officers of the Baltic allies from Nov. 24 - Dec. 3, 2015.
- China paying 'close attention' to US plane deployment Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry says it is paying "close attention" to a deal that has enabled the deployment of US surveillance aircraft to Singapore.
- IMDO and MDA Successfully Complete First Arrow-3 Ballistic Missile Defense Engagement MDA 10 Dec 2015 -- The Israel Missile Defense Organization (IMDO) of the Directorate of Defense Research and Development (DDR&D) and the U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA) conducted a successful first engagement of a ballistic missile target with the Arrow-3 interceptor on December 10, 2015.
- Israel, US carry out missile system test Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- Israel and the United States have test-fired an advanced ballistic missile system that has received extensive funding and technical assistance from the US.
- Israel Tests Arrow 3 Missile Defense System, Target Locked On From Space Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- Israel successfully carried out a test on locking on a missile target from space using its Arrow 3 missile defense system.
- Stoltenberg praises Albania's role in strengthening stability in Western Balkans NATO 10 Dec 2015 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed Albania's strong commitment to NATO in a visit to Tirana on Thursday (10 December 2015). After talks with Prime Minister Edi Rama, Mr. Stoltenberg thanked Albania for its continued contributions to the Alliance's missions in Afghanistan and Kosovo, and for its efforts to build the defence capabilities of NATO partners Georgia and Ukraine.
- S-400 Missile Defense Systems Activated in Northwestern Russia Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- S-400 systems have been activated in Russia's northwest to protect air borders, the Russian Defense Ministry's Western Defense District's press service said Thursday.
- Kim Jong Un Visits Remodeled Phyongchon Revolutionary Site Pyongyang, December 10 (KCNA) - Kim Jong Un said the DPRK is "a powerful nuclear weapons state ready to detonate self-reliant A-bomb and H-bomb to reliably defend its sovereignty and the dignity of the nation."
- N Korea ready to defend itself with H-bomb: Kim Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un says his country is ready to defend itself against any foreign aggression with a hydrogen bomb, local media reported.
- North Korean Leader Says Pyongyang Has Hydrogen Bomb Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- According to media reports, Pyongyang has a hydrogen bomb and ready to use it to protect its sovereignty.
- N. Korean Leader Claims Country Has Built Powerful H-Bomb VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is suggesting his isolated regime has developed a hydrogen bomb.
- Anticipated U.S. arms sales to Taiwan send signal to Beijing CNA 10 Dec 2015 -- Amid reports that Washington is about to announce new arms sales to Taiwan for the first time in more than four years, a panel of scholars on Asian affairs said Wednesday that the move would be of great significance and would serve as a signal to Beijing.
- US Gives Equipment to Cameroon for Boko Haram Fight VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- The United States has offered tactical war equipment to support Cameroon in its fight against Boko Haram.
- Russia Delivers 5 Mi-171 Multirole Helicopters to Bangladesh Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- Russia has delivered five Mi-171 multirole helicopters to Bangladesh, the aircraft's manufacturer, Russian Helicopters, said in a statement Thursday.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 12/10/15 The White House 10 Dec 2015
- December 10, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 10 Dec 2015
- 10 December 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 Dec 2015
- UN and Singapore agree to develop information management tool for peacekeeping operations UN News 10 Dec 2015 -- The United Nations and the Government of Singapore today signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to collaborate on the development of an information management tool in support of UN peacekeeping operations that can aid in enhancing situational awareness, trend analysis and early warning capacities in field missions.
- 'Blackwater troopers replacing Emirati forces in Yemen' Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- A new report says mercenaries and military advisers from the infamous US security firm, formerly known as Blackwater, are replacing UAE troops in the Saudi war in Yemen.
- Yemen: UN delivers life-saving food aid to nearly 150,000 besieged residents in Taiz UN News 10 Dec 2015 -- Braving fighting, airstrikes and checkpoints to bring life-saving aid to Yemenis living in dire conditions under a virtual state of siege, United Nations convoys have reached the central city of Taiz with enough food for nearly 145,000 people for a month, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) reported today.
- Why Mounting Losses Fail to Deter IS Foreign Fighters VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- For most militaries, let alone a terrorist group with aspirations of statehood, the mathematics would seem daunting if not impossible: a force of up to about 30,000 losing more than two-thirds of its fighters in just over a year.
- Most Syrian Opposition Groups Agree To Talks With Government RFE/RL 10 Dec 2015 -- Most of Syria's opposition groups have agreed to meet with the government next month for talks on a political settlement of their five-year civil war, in a potential breakthrough for peace negotiations.
- Syrian Opposition Groups Agree on Plan for Talks VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- Representatives of Syria's opposition groups have agreed on a framework for talks with President Bashar al-Assad's regime.
- In Kurdish Syria, Confusion Rules Amid Fallout of War VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- This Kurdish majority area in the southeastern part of Syria is a no-man's land and, at the same time, everyman's land.
- Syria Faces Alarming Escalation in Attacks on Hospitals VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- A coalition of medical aid and relief organizations in Syria reports an alarming escalation in attacks on hospitals and medical personnel in the past two months.
- German fighter jets depart for Syria military mission IRNA 10 Dec 2015 -- German combat jets took off from Germany on Thursday en route to the Syrian military mission, according to German media.
- Russia attempts ethnic cleansing in Syria: Turkish PM People's Daily 10 Dec 2015 -- Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Wednesday accused Russia of attempting an 'ethnic cleansing' in northern Syria through its air strikes.
- Syrian Air Force Crushes 1300 Terrorist Targets in Last 2 Weeks Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- According to a military spokesman, the Syrian Air Force has carried out 364 sorties in the last two weeks, striking 1,300 terrorist targets across four provinces.
- Border Battle: Syrian Army Takes on Daesh Terrorists Near Jordan Frontier Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian army has reportedly launched an offensive against Daesh in the country's southwestern province of Daraa, approaching a strategic border crossing near Jordan.
- Key Syrian Rebel Group Pulls Out of Opposition Talks VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- One of Syria's main rebel groups has pulled out of opposition talks aimed at forging a united front prior to potential discussions with the Damascus regime.
- US, Russia, UN to Hold Fresh Talks on Syria VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- Diplomats from the United States, Russia, and the United Nations will meet Friday in Geneva to discuss ways to advance the peace process in war-torn Syria, officials said Thursday.
- Authorities Prepare for Refugees Fleeing Fighting in Raqqa VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- As fighters of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces move on Raqqa, the Islamic State's defacto capital, many residents of the northern Syrian city and nearby villages are fleeing their homes. In Ras al-Ayn, just to the northeast, officials are preparing for a flood of refugees.
- Daesh destroys bridge in Ramadi as Iraq forces advance Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- Daesh militants in Iraq's Ramadi have destroyed a lock on the Euphrates River which served as a bridge as pro-government forces advance further in the fight to retake the western militant-held city.
- Iraq urges Arab League emergency meeting on Turkey invasion Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- Iraq's Foreign Ministry has requested an emergency meeting of top diplomats from the Arab League to adopt a united position vis-a-vis Turkey's illegal deployment of troops to northern Iraqi territories.
- Turkish PM defends troops presence in Iraq Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- Turkey's Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has defended the deployment of Turkish forces to northern Iraq, claiming that it was a 'measure' to fight against Takfiri Daesh militants.
- Turkey, Iraqi Kurdish Leaders Meet Amid Dispute Over Troops RFE/RL 10 Dec 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan met with the leader of Iraq's Kurdish region on December 9 in Ankara amid diplomatic efforts to resolve a dispute over Turkish troops in northern Iraq.
- Turkish Delegation Arrives in Baghdad to Discuss Troops Deployed in Iraq Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- A Turkish delegation has arrived in Baghdad to discuss the deployment of Turkish troops in Iraq, the Iraqi Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Turkish President Rules Out Troops Withdrawal From Iraq Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- Turkey will withdraw troops from Iraq, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said firmly on Thursday.
- Turkey Urges All Citizens to Leave Iraq Immediately Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- Citing security risks, the Turkish government has warned any of its citizens traveling in Iraq – excluding Kurdish provinces – to leave at once.
- Azerbaijani Tanks Shell Positions In Nagorno-Karabakh RFE/RL 10 Dec 2015 -- Azerbaijani tanks shelled positions in the Nagorno-Karabakh region for the first time in 21 years, the Defense Ministry for the breakaway region said on December 9.
- Russian Military Denies Claims of Violating Georgia's Airspace Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- The Russian Defense Ministry categorically denies Tbilisi's claims that a Russian Mi-8 had violated Georgian airspace Thursday.
- UN: Rwanda Genocide Suspect Arrested VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- One of the top fugitive suspects in the 1994 Rwandan genocide has been arrested in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Senior UN official appeals to donors to aid 53,000 displaced by attacks on Lake Chad islands UN News 10 Dec 2015 -- More than 50,000 people forced to flee in the wake of attacks on islands of Lake Chad are living in "precarious conditions" in need of food, drinking water, shelter, health care and other services in a situation exacerbated by chronic drought, the top United Nations relief official in Chad says.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, December 10, 2015 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 10 Dec 2015
- Iran minister says swine flu pandemic is under control Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- Iran's health minister says the country has managed to check the outbreak of swine flu, with the first phase of the pandemic declared over now.
- UN Security Council Meeting on the Situation in the DPRK US Dept. of State 10 Dec 2015
- UN human rights chief calls for DPR Korea to be referred to International Criminal Court UN News 10 Dec 2015 -- The top United Nations human rights official today called on the Security Council to refer the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to the International Criminal Court, citing continuing gross rights violations, "the institutional nature and severity of which pose a threat to international peace and security."
- International Spotlight Shines on DPRK Rights Abuses VOA 10 Dec 2015
- 5 Charged in Australia With Planning Terrorist Attacks VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- Australian authorities charged a teenager and four men Thursday with planning terrorist attacks against government buildings, including the headquarters of the Australian Federal Police in Sydney, and against random civilians.
- China Calls for Denuclearization of Korean Peninsula Sputnik 10 Dec 2015 -- Beijing consistently speaks up for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, the protection of the peace and stability of the peninsula, and insists that the relevant issues be resolved through dialogue, according to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying.
- What's Behind Italy's Step Back On Extending Sanctions Against Russia? RFE/RL 10 Dec 2015 -- It was supposed to be a done deal: European Union envoys had been expected to approve a six-month extension of sanctions against Russia over its interference in Ukraine, as agreed by EU leaders last month.
- Egypt releases convicted Israeli spy Press TV 10 Dec 2015 -- Egyptian officials have released an Israeli who served 15 years in prison on proven charges of espionage for the Zionist regime amid improving ties between Egypt and Tel Aviv.
- Teflon Rahmon: Tajik President Getting 'Leader' Title, Lifelong Immunity RFE/RL 10 Dec 2015 -- Tajik lawmakers have voted to give President Emomali Rahmon the title 'Leader of the Nation' and grant him lifelong immunity from prosecution, drawing sharp criticism from opponents and activists who called it a new step away from democracy.
- Body Count Rises as Crisis Continues in Burundi VOA 10 Dec 2015 -- Efforts to resolve Burundi's political crisis remain stalled, five months after President Pierre Nkurunziza won a controversial re-election. Meanwhile, residents of the capital continue to wake up to fresh bodies on the streets in the mornings.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|